Real Werewolves, are they out there.

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.

Do you think werewolves exist?

Yes
56%
No
26%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
18%

Total votes: 312

versipell74
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Redneck
Additional Details: Fun Energetic and sometimes a little loud
Mood: Excited

Re: Real Werewolves, are they out there.

Post by versipell74 »

I had to say yes since there we have not discovered every square foot of earth yet so until then I'll try to keep the belief alive. Plus who knows maybe the werewolves are hiding in Atlantis waiting for the right time to reveal themselves. J.K. :lol:
Making this up as I go along.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

That's getting into the premise that you can never disprove a null hypothesis. By that logic, pink telekinetic flying elephants exist until you can scan every corner of the universe to prove otherwise.

Edit: that said, you are none-the-less correct. Once you pair that with other observations, like the world-wide nature of lycanthropy, you can still build a case, though something like werewolves definitely falls into the "extraordinary claims" that Carl Sagan describes as requiring "extraordinary evidence."
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!

Post by Trinity »

A lot of the shapeshifter myths comes from other sources. Bear-shifter/berserkers - aka "wearing the bear shirt" from Norse/viking mythos. They took a "potion" or could purportedly set themselves into a trance like state to become unstoppable (at that time) warriors of death and mass destruction.

Many from shaman cultures believed they could take on the form of their power animals. Often they'd dress up like their power animals. To the un-initiated (common population) sometimes this seemed like a magical transformation.

Rabies is another commonly suggested "werewolf" or "beast man" cause. On the topic of diseases, there are some forms of dementia and such that may have been written off as "being a werewolf" as well due to lack of medical understanding.

Europeans feared their wolf and hunted it. Why not demonize it? Etc.

Many of these myths and legends have basis in facts that can be uncovered.

The questions to ask isn't "is there such a thing as a were(insert species here)?" But rather "what kinds of were(insert species here) exist?"

"Real" can be a very subjective term depending on how it's used. I could paint a werewolf image.. that would make the "werewolf real", or make a sculpture of it, etc... but that doesn't make it a living breathing thing either. ;)
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Aya

Re: Do you think werewolves actually exist?

Post by Aya »

KitsuneKit wrote:I know that all of us at this website like werewolves, but you think that werewolves exists in real life?

Thought? Opinions?
I believe they do.
Myth and legends all begin with a truth, by word of mouth, glimpse of sight, or theory and made real through belief.
Lupus Wolfington
Custom Title: Therianthrope
Mood: Indifferent

Re:

Post by Lupus Wolfington »

outwarddoodles wrote:Mental werewolves: Yes (Clinical Lycanthropy)

'Werewolf Dieseise' (Hypertrichosis) (excessive hair, rabies): Yes

Spiritual Werewolves: Yes (Therianthropy)

Physicly shifting werewolves: NO!!
Yay, I exist.

On topic, yes. In my opinion, physical shifting is possible. Only, humans can't do it themselves. They need an outside influence, like say, God. Only the potter can mold the clay.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

my take on topic:

in all werewolf sightings around the globe 99,9% of them are hoaxes, animals and medical conditions but 0,1% of sightings are unknown
Thylo
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Mood: Ruthless

Post by Thylo »

Well according to this guy, Werewolves are indeed REAL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aY#t=4099s

For the Record, I listened to this thing from start to finished...It's worth the listen as it's quite entertaining.
"There is no good or evil...there is only power, and those too weak to seek it."
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Personally, I don't care if they exist for real or not, it comes down to what happens more than what caused it, whether I make a friend with someone, or they murder me in my bed, it wouldn't really matter to me if they were a person, a werewolf, a space alien or rogue cyborg. So long as they don't put fingerprints on my computer screen the "fact" of their presence in this world matters not a jot.

That said, I don't think werewolves exist, not the ones we're talking about anyway.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
satorui

Post by satorui »

I find the focus on European wolf myths to an incomplete method of determining werewolves existence or lack thereof. check out some of the Turkic myths which, like the Romulus and Remus legend involve a good she-wolf who raised the founders of the Turkic peoples . it's worth noting that the she-wolf in the Turkic, unlike the Romulus and Remus legend has a name, Asena which is weird considering most mythological animal characters don't have a name other than that of their species which to me implies an intelligent wolf if not a werewolf.
demonwithin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Nightshade
Additional Details: Call me Nightshade :3
Mood: Ruthless

Post by demonwithin »

Yes, their very real.
They say that I can't last a day in the real world.... I say you wouldn't survive one night in mine...
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Thylo wrote:Well according to this guy, Werewolves are indeed REAL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aY#t=4099s

For the Record, I listened to this thing from start to finished...It's worth the listen as it's quite entertaining.

you guys need to lisen this, i did wery fun and intresting thing to lisen but is long clip
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

It depends on your culture view, and what kind of "were-creature" you want to believe in... AND what you consider "real".

Santa is real. He's a spirit of Christmas. A SPIRIT. ;) A thought that takes life through human interaction. That interaction is real. The influence is real... but is Santa actually real? *shrugs* I believe in him... as a spirit of good intentions. ;)

Are werewolves real? Maybe. Maybe people believe that a part of them is an non-human spirit. Maybe someone takes on the form of their power animals, spiritually. I've never seen someone P-shift (physically shift) and until I do I hold on to my healthy doubts. ;)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

So, werewolves are real, but in our hearts, in an Obi Wan Darth-Vader-killed-your-father kind of way...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Trinity »

If that is what you want to believe sure. :)
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

LupusDream
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Winter
Additional Details: i am a lover, hater and a out cast

Post by LupusDream »

i have to say that both are quite interesting. the first one i wash that the guy would of stood there just a little longer so that there would of been a better look. but then again if i saw a werewolf all of the sudden i would of ran and scream (or walk out side ;) ) as for the second one i wish i could speak German so that i could understand what they are saying. plus why was the werewolf posing like that. true she did look dead but what caused her to be like that. did she die while she was shifting or something??
there was a time when wolf and man walked along side each other, but one day wolf and man would walked as one

http://LupusDream.deviantart.com/ <- my art :D
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

for second one its writen that it was killed by german soldiers
LupusDream
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Winter
Additional Details: i am a lover, hater and a out cast

Post by LupusDream »

ok thank you :)
there was a time when wolf and man walked along side each other, but one day wolf and man would walked as one

http://LupusDream.deviantart.com/ <- my art :D
Echi
Custom Title: Wolf In Human Skin

Post by Echi »

Werewolves exist but not like how the movies portray us (from what I noticed this was covered already). A lot of us "were-beasts/werewolves" prefer the term "therianthrope", though. It can be a psychological or spiritual thing, though. You can't be turned, you can't do some ritual to become a therianthrope, you have to be born one. Having a totem, spirit guide or something like that can influence feelings similar to therianthropy, but you still aren't a therianthrope. Therianthropy is simply put the feeling that you are or have been a non-human animal of some sort.
“There is a beast in man that should be exercised, not exorcised” ~ Anton LaVey
Kveldulf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Kveldulf »

I couldn't answer the poll, because it all depends on how one defines "real werewolves". I shall be most surprised if anyone actually ever documents the physical body of an H. sapiens shifting completely into the physical body of a C. lupus. At least not until something like nanotechnology makes a few major conceptual leaps to allow for rapid structural remodelling, not to mention vexed questions like, "where are you going to put all that extra human brain tissue?" Various forms of lycanthropic practice (primarily wolves and bears, but also boars and other creatures on occasion) are certainly well-documented in the literature and art of early Scandinavia, as well as later Scandinavian folk-practice and belief, and at least one external historical source (Constantine VII mentioned the Varangian guardsmen ritually wearing the hides and masks of predators for their Yule celebrations); there is a reasonable case to be made for an association of at least some of these practices with the cult of Odhinn and possibly associated seasonal beliefs and rites (for instance, the masking/possessory practices linked with the Furious Host/Wodan's Host). I can say that there are certainly folk out there even today carrying out the activities that would have, in Viking Age or mediaeval Scandinavia (and quite possibly up into the late nineteenth or early twentieth century), defined them as werewolves in that culture, often within the context of the re-created native Scandinavian faith.
Wolfguardian
Just Bitten
Just Bitten
Custom Title: The Wolf Guardian

Post by Wolfguardian »

What if I told you they do exist would you believe me?
MiraRoss
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by MiraRoss »

KitsuneKit wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:54 am I know that all of us at this website like werewolves, but you think that werewolves exists in real life?

Thought? Opinions?
Yes they do, I know they do 🐺
Gemwolfblood

Post by Gemwolfblood »

I am an Alpha wolf in Australia so they do exist
SeaWolf
Custom Title: SeaWolf
Mood: RAR!

Post by SeaWolf »

"Gemwolfblood » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:47 pm
I am an Alpha wolf in Australia so they do exist"

Are you native Aussie? Then you would be a Dingo and not a wolf as the Dingo is Australias top predator. If you or your family moved down under from a country with wolves, then it would be possible. :)
Grey
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by Grey »

We have a story out of Northumberland PA of were=wolves.
Life's too short to be sad. So go roll around in the grass.