The best weapon against a werewolf

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
John Galt

The best weapon against a werewolf

Post by John Galt »

If you had to take down a werewolf, what would be your gun of choice? For me, I'd say a 12-gauge shotgun for its combination of accuracy and stopping power. I suppose a high-caliber rifle would effective too.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: The best weapon against a werewolf

Post by Volkodlak »

crossbow with poisonus bolts its my choice. for poison that is in bolts points i would use Tetrodotoxin or Cyanide
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

At long range? some hunting rifle or other with a good scope.

Mid range? Some form of shotgun, but not using shot, there are slugs designed for shotguns, I'd prefer those. Failing that, maybe crossbow, cross pistol, or regular hand gun.

Close range/hand to hand? It's a bit of a toss up, being a bit of a swordsman I like anything about the size and proportions of my own personal design, a handle that is three and a half hand grips in length, and a business end that's about the length of my arm from my shoulder joint to my finger tips (27 inches to be precise), and double edged on the last 10 inches of blade, failing that, baseball bat, steel bar, golf club, cricket bat, are all worthy substitutes, and given my training, I could dish out some serious punishment before you could say "he doesn't stand a chance!" :evil: .

There is another short range weapon, and for the life of me I wish I could remember what it's called, it's essentially a long spike on the end of several meters or chain/rope, as I recall originally weilded by native indians as, oddly enough, a weapon against wolves. Its method of deployment is ti swing and release, the spike travels 2-4 meters or so, and then is immediately yanked back to reset up the next target. I've seen it demonstrated by a skilled user, and I've made and used one on a small scale myself, they take some skill, but are kinda fun to use.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sevena

Post by Sevena »

Last edited by Sevena on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

Post by FoxKnight »

The weapon you are thinking of, Meeper, or at least what I assume you described, is called an atlatl. You may need to have a bit of practice with one before you using it defend against werewolves :P

(This was the best image I could find explaining it)
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

Depends: is this one of those Super Inhuman weres, that normal bullets can't touch? Or more Natural Evolution were, meaning there are more ways to kill it.

Either way, wouldn't be a regular gun. Too loud, too messy, and people will be wondering what you shot at, and you'll to explain why there's a dead human lying on your floor/in your woods.

Industrial Strength Tranquilizers, a cage strong enough to hold in a bear, and possibly something to bind it's hands and feet. Also depends on whether or not this were is intelligent; then, you've got to worry about it trying to get out of the restraints.

And then there's whether or not they shift back if they're unconscious; prepare a cover story of 'He's drunk i'm taking him home,' if he's a friend and not able to think during a shift, or dragging him back to your house to keep him locked up until he comes to if he's intelligent and wants to hurt you for a reason other then you deserve it.

... not like i've thought about this or anything...
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I would never expect to be able to outmaneuver or overpower a werewolf, so my primary strategy would involve keeping as much space between us as possible. That said, my preferred method of taking one down would be with a booby trap so I could ideally finish the job without the werewolf even knowing who came after him.

In a direct one-on-one confrontation, I'd go with fire; Molotov cocktails or an improvised blowtorch. I wouldn't necessarily need to hit the werewolf with one; I'd just need to avoid lobbing one over his head. If it fell short, the werewolf would still have to either run through it and get burned or try to attack from another angle to get at me. Plus, if I managed to actually hit the werewolf, the damage would be continuous; the werewolf would have to stop trying to kill me and instead try to put himself out if he didn't want to eventually wind up severely deformed or worse.

And in situations where that wouldn't work, either because we're indoors or because he's too close to burn without also burning myself: Power tools. You don't necessarily need to swing or stab effectively with a chainsaw to kill something with it; you just need to be able to hold it steady. Though really, I wouldn't expect to be able to kill the werewolf with it. Anyone with half a brain should know better than to charge somebody head on when they're holding out a chainsaw (or a power drill, or a nail gun, etc.). So if I could ensure that the only way the werewolf could get at me was head on, that would create a stalemate situation, which might as well be a victory for me since I'm not the one who has to remain unseen. He'd be forced to retreat and that would give me some time to try to set up my preferred method.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

FoxKnight wrote:The weapon you are thinking of, Meeper, or at least what I assume you described, is called an atlatl. You may need to have a bit of practice with one before you using it defend against werewolves :P
I found it, it may have an original name, but it seems to be more colloquially called a rope dart, or rope dagger, follow the link below, or find others on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vSaIUr_Ce4

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis

Post by FoxKnight »

Ah. That's an interesting weapon I've never seen before
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Meeper wrote:
FoxKnight wrote:The weapon you are thinking of, Meeper, or at least what I assume you described, is called an atlatl. You may need to have a bit of practice with one before you using it defend against werewolves :P
I found it, it may have an original name, but it seems to be more colloquially called a rope dart, or rope dagger, follow the link below, or find others on youtube.

The Meeper.
meeper this weapon isnt easy to master and you need to kill werewolf before he gets to close.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

lovec1990 wrote:
Meeper wrote:

The Meeper.
meeper this weapon isnt easy to master and you need to kill werewolf before he gets to close.
Come on now Lovec, you know we can speculate the rock/paper/scissors game of effectiveness and required skills with a particular weapons versus how much of an unstoppable death machine you're unlucky enough to have to defend against till we're green about the gills. In the absence of the ultimate werewolf deterrent, everybody's listing what they'd be most comfortable with. That's all we can do.

*Edit* Hmm, colloidal silver in a pump spray bottle, mace for werewolves? :P .

The Meeper.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

its youst an spectulation beside werewolf is more worth alive
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

lovec1990 wrote:its youst an spectulation beside werewolf is more worth alive
Although I suppose I could stray off into speculation and think of things for particular purposes

None lethal weapons (and by Lovec's apparent implication, capture):
Tranquilizers/muscle relaxants (I'm not a drugs guy, so I don't usually mention them, or speculate their effects, for the same reasons I mentioned in my previous post)
The entire gamut of appropriate animal traps (I'd say pits, suspending snares, and suspending nets).
Any large/fast/powerful vehicle (I consider it a defensive weapon to secure your escape, by driving away very quickly! :P :lol: )
Non penetrating projectiles like rubber bullets, water cannon.
Envoronmental: such as barriers, large bodies of water, etc.
Substances, such as very slippery substances, adhesive/sticky/viscous substances

Lethal weapons:
Everything I previously posted (I won't speculate the lethality of the likes of a baseball bat against a werewolf, for the reasons given in my last post).
The entire gamut of appropriate poisons (I'm not a poisons guy, so I don't usually mention poisons, or speculate their effects, for the same reasons I mentioned in my previous post)
Any large fast/powerful vehicle ((Let's see what 2 tons of fast moving metal do for this werewolf's disposition)
Environmental, such as falls from a great height, unsafe structures that can be toppled or dropped etc.
Strong chemicals such as acids and alkalines.

That's all I got off the top of my headache befuddled head.

The Meeper.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

My bare hands.