Killer Instinct

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Chris
Legendary
Legendary

Killer Instinct

Post by Chris »

So, Microsoft has announced Killer Instinct as an XBox One exclusive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmPbt7Hx_cg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsLgU21SPHk

I... don't know what to think of this. I loved the original games. It's awesome that they've kept Sabrewulf, who doesn't look terribly bad. But, it feels like they're trying too hard. The announcer sounds like a jock's interpretation of the original (or rather, someone trying to sound like a jock who's mimicking the original), there's less emphasis on the environments (the characters are big huge, dominating the screen) that were quite stunning back in the day, and the violence, as cartoony as it was in the originals, seems rather toned down. It wasn't MK levels of gore, but the originals did have a fair amount of blood and some "fatalities", which seem to be replaced by slow-mo cine-cams, and tons of particles.

It's just disappointing. It doesn't even look like it's being developed by Rare, but they're merely providing some oversight for Double Helix, who've had some quite poor outings with the games they've done. I think I'd have preferred to just see HD remakes of the first two, rather than a revival by a developer with a poor track record and who only has some oversight by the original creators (if any of the late-90s-era Rare devs are even still there; IIRC, quite a few left during their twilight years with Nintendo, and they've been quite dormant in recent years).
Neybulot
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Mood: Indifferent

Re: Killer Instinct

Post by Neybulot »

(Wow, I can't believe I still have an account here and this my post back.)

So from what it appears with the news on the game, it's going to be initially free-to-play with Jago as the only character you get with the game, then you'll have to pay for the rest of the characters. Highly disappointing in my opinion.
Phear me! (Gotta get a better siggy.)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Why are publishers still putting out games with this stupid 'pay to win' sort of system? Seriously, is there like a small group of people out there that keeps putting money on these publisher's bank accounts by paying for stuff that is essential in a game? I thought the game industry was over this already.

From what I've read, this game isn't being developed by Rare but by Double Helix games, which doesn't ring too many bells for me. I'm not too fond of buying games from completely alien developers unless they demonstrated to be a competent team. In Double Helix's case, I see they developed the infamous Battleship game, and if you haven't heard about that one, you should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7uwNNLrtJk

This doesn't exactly seem promising to say the least.

The gameplay in the video's looks okay, but its way too cartoony for my taste. The reason why the original Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat were so popular (among other reasons) was because they were gritty and dark games with brutal violence and gory deaths. The original Killer Instinct game had gallons of blood, but judging from those video's now it mostly looks like cartoon violence. The graphics are average, nothing I couldn't see running on a good old XBox 360, albeit perhaps on a slightly slower framerate.

I'm just going to let this pass, and I hope more people do so too because when hopefully the XBox One flops we can at least get a half decent 360 port of the game.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
GOREHOUNDS
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: GOREHOUNDS
Mood: Happy

Post by GOREHOUNDS »

Another Free to Play... Seriously whats up with this...

I wish games would just go back to the original Pay for it ways.

Everyone's tired of getting nickel and dimed all the time.

Who knows... it might succeed.... but baaah. Free to Play... thats a hard sell for a fighting game.
GOREHOUNDS: Brutal Werewolf Combat!
http://www.gorehounds.net