What I'd like to see (lore and werewolves)

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
BewareTheFullMoon
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

What I'd like to see (lore and werewolves)

Post by BewareTheFullMoon »

I was thinking about what I'd like to see in a werewolf movie, and I decided that I'd actually really like to see one that was heavily lore based. By this I mean mixing mythical accounts of shapeshifting in various cultures into maybe a modern timeline and plot. For example a modern werewolf that shifts with the help of a magic pelt or maybe someone that is cursed and turned into a wolf or something. I particularly like the concept of werewolves and shapeshifters as warriors as well. Does anyone know of any werewolf movies that have such elements?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Re: What I'd like to see (lore and werewolves)

Post by Terastas »

Meh. Sort of. A lot of werewolf movies claim to be based on lore, but then proceed to take a crap-ton of "creative liberties" with it.

Me personally, my fascination's always been with the difference between fantasy and reality. I'd like to see a movie (or TV show, or comic book, or whatever) where you can make a connection to the lore -- where you can look at something in the movie that seems more plausible, and think to yourself "Ooooh, THAT must be where [insert lore here] came from."

Example: The sign of the pentacle made its way into my writing because I noticed that, on a normal wolf's paw, there are five lines of fur in between their footpads. Then, one day after a long day of work, I went to town on my calluses with a rasp brush and noticed that, when I was done, the light spots where they used to be resembled a wolf's paw print. So whether because they form calluses on their hands while running on all fours or because they retain some of the hair that grows in around them, I figure that would be a logical explanation for how the sign of the pentacle entered into werewolf lore.

My ideal werewolf movie (or show, or comic book, etc.) would be full of revelations like that. You know, something that balances the lore with science as opposed to pleading one way or the other.
Last edited by Terastas on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

i prefere more science based werewolfs i was never into lore
BewareTheFullMoon
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by BewareTheFullMoon »

Terastas that is a really cool idea! I have to agree it would be quite fun to see that.

I don't know if anyone here watches Vampire Diaries (I'm embarrassed to admit that I do, lol) but that show sort of has it's own lore for vampires and werewolves. It's not fully my preference but they tired to at least make the whole thing plausible.

I agree though, a lot of times when they base something off of...I don't know, any sort of reality or historical significance they really mess around with it.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

BewareTheFullMoon wrote:I was thinking about what I'd like to see in a werewolf movie, and I decided that I'd actually really like to see one that was heavily lore based.<snip> Does anyone know of any werewolf movies that have such elements?
At the time I didn't have the enthusiasm to watch it (and still don't), but I did see something a while ago called werewolves the dark survivors, which looked different enough to at least have a veneer of being interesting, might be worth a look if you're not already acquainted with it. I did a quick google search, it was some TV movie, shouldn't be too hard to track down.

On a side note, yeah Terastas is a clever chap like that, and I tend to agree with the sentiment in this case. Personally I do like it when science can get in and carry the story in place of lore, and vice verse, either can work for me, but as Terastas said of lore being fudged, pseudo scientific werewolves can get frightfully cringe making.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Meeper wrote:Personally I do like it when science can get in and carry the story in place of lore, and vice verse, either can work for me, but as Terastas said of lore being fudged, pseudo scientific werewolves can get frightfully cringe making.

The Meeper.
This is where it would help if most writers and directors had the balls to have their characters say "I don't know."

Which, frankly, implies a whole lot more realism than anything else. The only things mankind has ever been able to boast a 100% understanding of are the things that mankind invented (and even then, they're fudging on that statistic). Ergo, the more the author and/or his characters conveniently already know about lycanthropy, the more trouble I have believing it.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Terastas wrote: This is where it would help if most writers and directors had the balls to have their characters say "I don't know."

Which, frankly, implies a whole lot more realism than anything else. The only things mankind has ever been able to boast a 100% understanding of are the things that mankind invented (and even then, they're fudging on that statistic). Ergo, the more the author and/or his characters conveniently already know about lycanthropy, the more trouble I have believing it.
I have a pet thing I want to see happen. The werewolf and dude who's dealing with said werewolf find things out through dumb luck/accident, that things like silver turns out to be a weapon against a werewolf for example. No prior knowledge. No really old books ™. No priest who magically knows about all this weird stuff. And for pity's sake NO INTERNET!!! Just the dude and the werewolf.

The scene in my head (which no doubt is clumsy story telling) is along comes our mystery werewolf. Werewolf says "Gosh I'm positively peckish. May I nibble your arm? I'll take that blood curdling scream of abject terror as a yes" (Or "Rarrr!" in werewolf speak). Werewolf finds out that getting beat up and wounded sucks but isn't fatal...I'll never go hungry again...Awesome! Werewolf finds out the hard way that mr protagonists heirloom silver candlestick does more than sting real bad. How embarrassing. Werewolf dies of candle stick poisoning. Finally the survivor isn't some indignant vindictive douchebag who treats the werewolf's remains like a piece of trash. It was a person, how about an actual funeral? (The Howling 2 was werewolf silly season, and doesn't count :P ). Well that's more the old school werewolf horror type scenario I guess, but yeah, everybody finding out the way it would have been when the first werewolves came into existence. Which now I think about it, I don't know that anybody has actually done that story (I'm sure someone will correct me on that if it has been done and I'm just ignorant), only referenced it during some exposition stuff as ancient history to a later story. Pity I think, origin stories are almost always fun, and finding out how lore might have begun in a story that unfolds as the lore is happening and becoming known for the first time would certainly interest me, with or without science.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.