How far would you be willing too go...

The place for anything at all...
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: How far would you be willing too go...

Post by Volkodlak »

Uniform Two Six wrote:
Meeper wrote:...what are the police supposed to do? Pull off precious policing resources to go after some cryptoid that hasn't been linked to any crime? (Quite the opposite in this case)

That's the only reason they'll look at foot prints. Case closed...
Which is why I'm still pushing the Discovery Channel showing up as being the greatest threat here.
if there are hunters they would be greatest threat, but what are the chances that Discovery would even bother with this case?
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

lovec1990 wrote:
Uniform Two Six wrote:
Meeper wrote:...what are the police supposed to do? Pull off precious policing resources to go after some cryptoid that hasn't been linked to any crime? (Quite the opposite in this case)

That's the only reason they'll look at foot prints. Case closed...
Which is why I'm still pushing the Discovery Channel showing up as being the greatest threat here.
if there are hunters they would be greatest threat, but what are the chances that Discovery would even bother with this case?
Personally I think you'd be more at risk from stalking werewolf fans :lol:

The Discovery Channel may take a long time, if ever, unless the family contacts them directly with a compelling case. Without the family piping up directly, it becomes just another word of mouth local legend which may get a 5 minute mention somewhere by a curious/bored journalist who's having a really slow month or looking to fast track a reputation. That might lead to a mention on Discovery, eventually. Will the world care? Or will the world go "cool" and go back to normal daily drudgery. Probably the latter.

In the mean time the biggest threat is most likely joe average who takes it too seriously, or some religious nut, or some clown calling their self a hunter/paranormal investigator. If you're positively identified in human form, that's when it might really hit the fan, expect loosers, low lifes, garden variety bullies, and plain old scared people who think they got something to prove to come knocking.

If it's paranormal investigators/hunters, I'll invite them in for a cup of tea and a cozy chat. If it's the local thugs, call the police. If it's the police, ask for a cup of tea down at the station and have a pleasant chin wag.

I think the only thing I'd personally be worried about is the military and/or government getting on my case, I'm a peaceable guy, I don't want to be "studied" any more than I want to get shot up by whatever authority thinks I give them an upper hand in anything. I doubt it would come to that though.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Meeper:
The Discovery Channel may take a long time, if ever, unless the family contacts them directly with a compelling case. Without the family piping up directly, it becomes just another word of mouth local legend which may get a 5 minute mention somewhere by a curious/bored journalist who's having a really slow month or looking to fast track a reputation. That might lead to a mention on Discovery, eventually. Will the world care? Or will the world go "cool" and go back to normal daily drudgery. Probably the latter.
i think Discovery would need probably some sort of intresting evidence to consider investigating plus if there is intresting evidence more people might be intrested in this news
In the mean time the biggest threat is most likely joe average who takes it too seriously, or some religious nut, or some clown calling their self a hunter/paranormal investigator. If you're positively identified in human form, that's when it might really hit the fan, expect loosers, low lifes, garden variety bullies, and plain old scared people who think they got something to prove to come knocking.
Look i would not worry if some avarage joe is taking it seriously becouse he/she does not have the skills or right knowlage too investigate werewolf sighting, If you are identified in your human form you are screwed, but you forgot about families with ill children, young ill people and werewolf fans and im not sure what is worse low life seeking a fight or person, parent or fan asking/begging for you too turn them or their loved ones.
If it's paranormal investigators/hunters, I'll invite them in for a cup of tea and a cozy chat. If it's the local thugs, call the police. If it's the police, ask for a cup of tea down at the station and have a pleasant chin wag.
well i would not invite them in besides if they claim they know what i am i will ask for evidence if they have convincing evidence then i will talk with them othervise i would not talk with them with other two i agree.
I think the only thing I'd personally be worried about is the military and/or government getting on my case, I'm a peaceable guy, I don't want to be "studied" any more than I want to get shot up by whatever authority thinks I give them an upper hand in anything. I doubt it would come to that though.

well for them too get involved there needs to be much worse situation and evidence plus when they get involved people will probably find out that werewolfs are real.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

lovec1990 wrote:
Look i would not worry if some avarage joe is taking it seriously becouse he/she does not have the skills or right knowlage too investigate werewolf sighting, If you are identified in your human form you are screwed, but you forgot about families with ill children, young ill people and werewolf fans and im not sure what is worse low life seeking a fight or person, parent or fan asking/begging for you too turn them or their loved ones.
You should be worried, Lovec, because you don't need the right skills or knowledge to act on a negative knee-jerk reaction. It's not just about getting found out yourself, it's about rampant misdirected suspicion in the neighbourhood. In my experience it doesn't take a whole lot to suddenly become the local folk devil, and the people who throw the stones typically are the ones who lack the skills to identify a legitimate "enemy". Why should you care if someone else gets beat up for being a werewolf even though they're not? Because what goes around, comes around, and the moral panic that causes it ain't bloody right is why. I guess it sort of still works to have a selfish point of view, the simplest solution is don't save the family, but I'd rather fess up and nip the social ramifications in the bud, than let people die and festering fear and suspicion make the need to stay hidden more and more necessary, not just for me, but for everybody.

After that, I imagine all I need to worry about is someone trying to get themselves infected.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Meeper just becouse of some questionable story that werewolf saved a familiy people will not lynch somebody.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

lovec1990 wrote:Meeper just becouse of some questionable story that werewolf saved a familiy people will not lynch somebody.
Yes, that was a worst case scenario explaining where I was coming from in your quote from me. I believe I already suggested it probably wouldn't come to that. And by the way, yes people do get beat up over questionable stories, you hear about it all the time in the news, and I have seen it first hand. All it takes is an idea planted into someone's head, and that person to project the idea onto someone they think is weird enough to be the thing in the idea, and boom, folk-devil/victim, ripe for the picking. They wouldn't be looking at "The werewolf that saved a family" part, in fact that would fuel the hatred for some people.

To understand what I'm talking about, you need to keep in mind not everybody is rational, or peaceful. For example, a couple of years ago a couple of twelve year old girls murdered another kid as "An offering to the slenderman". Granted that is rare and the exact dynamics would probably be different for the case we're discussing, but the precedence is there, that someone acted on a story (not even an uncorroborated local legend but a known work of pure fiction) and end result could well be the same, just gotten there by a different route.

Murder is an extreme, but there's a broad spectrum of nastiness that people can inflict on each other, and motives to do so.

The Meeper.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I tend to agree that the "lynching people" issue isn't something that's going to become a problem without something more extreme happening. That, however, is why I hold the Discovery Channel showing up as the biggest threat. They're out to sell air-time, and with these paranormal-reality-TV shows, they sensationalize everything. I was watching Netflix the other night and found one such episode that had apparently been filmed around my home town (odd that I didn't notice, but oh well). The supposed monster running around was some sort of Bigfoot thing that I had never heard of before. They've got these "experts" going on about how this thing has been terrorizing area residents for years and how it was a huge deal in local folklore.

And to reiterate: I've lived there for decades and never heard of it before. :roll:

Now, your average guy is going to shrug and change the channel, but it's the minority whack-jobs who really believe that there's aliens at Area 51 that you've got to be worried about going off the deep end. The Discovery Channel (or the History Channel, or some clone) coming along and pumping the whole incident up in order to sell ads is exactly the sort of thing to light that particular fuse. In most civilized parts of the world, we tend to discount stuff that winds up on shows like Ghost Hunters, but if you want to see how the world looks through the eyes of the nut-cases, look at what happens in a place that is highly superstitious:

Around 1997, there was a series of wolf attacks on small children in rural India. The locals became convinced it was a werewolf (ironically since everybody "knows" that wolves don't attack humans). The police were understandably inclined to dismiss their concerns and started the process to get a biologist to trap the offending animals (and presumably study why they went predatory). This enraged the village and they rioted and when all was said and done two police officers were dead.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

I have to confess that I'm not familiar with the Discovery Channel. The vehicle for disemination of information that I'm familiar with is the internet and word of mouth.

My neighbourhood is the only direct threat I've personally known in my life (though I'm aware of things like WW2 that was an external threat and similar threats today). I get that the government is always going to be a potential threat to persons with "something to hide", that in some ways might put them at loggerheads with the wider society, but other than government/military, the only other threat I know is thine neighbour, and social implications like getting fired from your job or not being able to get a job because "Unclean werewolf thing eww!". If there's other kinds of "Threat" then please illuminate me, because my intelligence is frankly tapped out at this point.

What exactly is the threat that The Discovery Channel poses? Other than people having a negative reaction to finding out.

The Meeper.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Meeper wrote: My neighbourhood is the only direct threat I've personally known in my life...
What about The Mall? :)
Meeper wrote: What exactly is the threat that The Discovery Channel poses? Other than people having a negative reaction to finding out.
Exactly that: Even if something weird happens and half the town hears about it by word of mouth, most are going to dismiss it no matter how bizarre it is (or even would be inclined to dismiss it more the more bizarre it is). On the other hand, some TV crew shows up, sensationalizes everything (for ratings), and winds up convincing everybody that maybe there's something dangerous out in the woods... Suddenly you find yourself out loping through the woods at night, minding your own business and stumble across a mob of frenzied townsfolk with torches and pitchforks (or flashlights and shotguns -- y'know, whatever).
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

lovec1990 wrote:terastas they might notice them but as you said it they will do their job, but only police may look at them when they look around the car and only way they might put some effort at investigate them is if familiy is claming a werewolf saved them.
Police will be preoccupied first and foremost with determining the cause of the accident. If the driver says s/he swerved to avoid hitting something, they might look for tracks, but more to verify his/her story, and even then only if the crash looked suspicious.
Meeper wrote:Assuming the family get a good enough look at the werewolf, and even recognize what they're looking at (seriously, are you sure you'd know a werewolf if you saw one? Because like, nobody knows what a werewolf looks like, all we have is imagination and art), what are the police supposed to do? Pull off precious policing resources to go after some cryptoid that hasn't been linked to any crime? (Quite the opposite in this case)
Even if the family did get that good of a look at the werewolf, the responding officers would probably assume they didn't and that, when they say they say a werewolf, they meant to say they saw something or someone that looked like a werewolf. Big hairy guy, guy in a heavy coat, guy wearing one of these, guy accompanied by a large dog, etc., etc.

The police probably wouldn't even make that detail public at all, in fact, unless it was compounded with other sightings in the same area. And even then, I doubt they would take the "werewolf" seriously. They may put up an increased presence in the area if only to reassure the populace, but they would do so expecting to find something that could possibly resemble a werewolf, not an actual werewolf.

Which, given the capacity of human imagination combined with their skepticism, I wouldn't expect to take very long for them.
Uniform Two Six wrote:Exactly that: Even if something weird happens and half the town hears about it by word of mouth, most are going to dismiss it no matter how bizarre it is (or even would be inclined to dismiss it more the more bizarre it is). On the other hand, some TV crew shows up, sensationalizes everything (for ratings), and winds up convincing everybody that maybe there's something dangerous out in the woods... Suddenly you find yourself out loping through the woods at night, minding your own business and stumble across a mob of frenzied townsfolk with torches and pitchforks (or flashlights and shotguns -- y'know, whatever).
Meh. . . Not so much, actually. I think the locals are much more likely to start rationalizing that they and their ancestors before them having been living there since friggin' forever, so if there really were something out there they had to worry about, they'd have been given cause to worry long before now.

Much as I hate to give credit to a craptacular movie, I think a much more realistic depiction of what would happen can be found in Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2. Sensationalists, as well as some possible crypto-tourists, would visit the area, and with them would come a spike in local revenue, enough to give at least a few locals the idea that encouraging the rumors and getting the word out that this is Werewolf Town would actually be much to their benefit.

Which, were I the werewolf. . . You know what? I'd be all for that.

After Salem, MA started honoring its history of the infamous witch trials, the city not only became a real tourist's hotspot, it actually (with no small amount of irony) began attracting as prospective residents real live Wicca practitioners, who, in turn, did a lot to raise awareness, and tolerance, of the practice as a whole.

So if a town started billing itself as the City of Werewolves just as Salem billed itself as the City of Witches, I would expect two things to happen:
#1: Other real life werewolves would take an interest, and at least discretely try to check the place out.
#2: The word "werewolf" would lose a lot of its negative associations, at least as far as the locals are concerned.

So much so that, if I ended up much more publicly outed as a werewolf, the reaction would be. . . Well. . . Yeah, they would still definitely be surprised, but it would be less "HOLY [expletive]!!!" and more "Oh, well I'll be darned."

Assuming this wasn't long after the place became Werewolf Mecca and my reveal was instead met with "Hey, small world -- me too."
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Terastas i agree that police will be occupied with securing crash site, but if they spot big pawprints around the car that are too large for a dog and familiy claims werewolf saved them plus car has evidence that it was forcefully open from outside, what are the chances they will take pictures of pawprint and ask local hunter, zoologist or biologist too witch animal they belong?
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

lovec1990 wrote:Terastas i agree that police will be occupied with securing crash site, but if they spot big pawprints around the car that are too large for a dog and familiy claims werewolf saved them plus car has evidence that it was forcefully open from outside, what are the chances they will take pictures of pawprint and ask local hunter, zoologist or biologist too witch animal they belong?
Honestly, I wouldn't consider it all that likely.

For one thing, if they're around the car, they've probably been trodden over by the family, police, fire, paramedics, and even if they weren't, the police would probably assume they are.

More critically, this isn't a crime scene. Either nobody died, or the autopsies will confirm that anyone who did die did so because of injuries sustained during the crash. Unless there's evidence of foul play, it won't be their job to investigate. As long as nobody is dead or critically injured, and it doesn't look like there was any attempt to kill and/or injure someone, the police are only going to remember that as a day with a happy ending.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I agree, though I'd still keep a low profile for a while.