A shadow of what we once were

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
Sevena

A shadow of what we once were

Post by Sevena »

Just a heads up before you get to far into this, I'll prob end up rambling abit.That tends to happen when I discuss anything in length. :P I'll do my best not to though :) .

As many have noticed over the last few years The Pack has become somthing of a ghost town.Some would call it a ghost town, with just a handfull of us still roaming the woods.(enter fog)(flashback) When I first joined The Pack, Morkulv was still flaming anyone who didn't finish a sentence properly,I know because I was one of them that got flamed :P
Berserker was still shareing wonderfull stories,which unfortunatley we never got to finish reading :(
Fig was still posting regularly,many of the old timers were posting regularly.
Sugarpoulty was still shareing amazing artwork,I always wanted to order a commission but never did.Now that I look back I should have.I prob still could,thats something Ill have to look into.
Pariahpoet was still constructing costumes.Hopefully I havent confused the two. :P
Baphnedia was running golf and there was wonderfull competition greeting the newbies.Duckies bombs were a regular occurance along with little dragons flying around.
Redeye was kinda the old foegy on the board :P
Howlitzer and Kitetsu were also shareing their artwork constantly.
Wingman used to hang in chat and there was always a handfull of people in the chat.Though its always been an idle zone.I used to yell "IDLERS" constantly and was kind of the no idling police, though I don't think it ever really did any good :P
Cain and another(cant remember the name)were the regulars in roleplaying.Infact rp was a steady section.
Shadowwolf and outwardoodles where constantly moderating and though topics got heated things were always taken care of in a timely manner.(p.s. my spellcheck is still off so ignore my mispelling).If you can. :P
Set was always yelling "werewolves aren't real" to anyone who claimed to be one.Man, I hope I'm not confusing names,I'm having to look back just to remember these so...don't quote me :P
Moonraiser was a regular poster, so many names,so many people not active anymore. :( So you could say this place has had its hayday.Though I missed much of it,what I would give to have found this place just a few years ealier.You can't help but miss it and all the wonderfull minds that shared ideas of what werewolves meant to them and how they saw them.This is really starting to sound like a goodbye letter and in a way it kinda is.When I think about it I just have to except that the life that once inhabited this board is gone.People have moved on.Hopefully to bigger and better things within their own lives.Many I feel got their start here.Almost everyone had a DA page and work of all kinds was being explored.
So where do we go from here? Well thats been explored a few times over with nothing really changing.I don't know if change is what this forum really needs,honestly I'm not sure what this forum needs besides great minds.This has to be one of my longest posts.As Ive said before the creative section of this forum is what kept this place alive and I'm not just refereing to the creative den.This whole forum is based on creativity and without that we are nothing.Yes, old ideas are being tossed around and reevaluated but thats not the spark which will catch fire,though it keeps some of us coming back.
We also have to look at how the view has changed here.Members use to have hope for a great movie that would express their views on werewolves and we do have some renewed hope with the series but the excitment just isn't the level it used to be.I'm starting to lose track of this,Tak has me in a heated convo in the chat that requires much reading on my part :P So I guess I just want to say thanks for all the good times and even the occasional flame,it was all well worth it.Just in case anyone might think this is my way of signing off, it isnt.Just taking a look back.After all someone has to harrass the idlers in chat,might as well be me. :D
So, what are the things you remember most from your time here?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A shadow of what we once were

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I know how you feel. I do miss the good old days of the packs den. I truly felt like I was a part of something important, something big. I looked forward to getting home and checking on the forums to see what was going on. All I can say right now is that I kinda moved on. Skype, Facebook, Fur Affinity, steam and other places now eats up most of my time on my computer. I feel like everyone else has done the same. The packs den was just another chapter in all of our lives. To some of us, it was an important chapter. I have learned so much from being here, the packs den was the pinnical of my happiness during high school, it was my addiction, you guys were the best and brightest I have ever had the privilege to meet on the internet. I made some new friends since then, and while they are great, but the old is gold and I will always cherish you guys. I miss having awesome conversations and debates among you.

A couple of years ago I discovered a great song from weezer that pretty much sums up my life right now. I hope everyone has a great year. :howl:  :oo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuYl-_vi_2g
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

Post by FoxKnight »

Having started in late 2010 I cannot claim to know much about the previous activity of the thread but I have noticed a steady decline in activity since I joined. Never really did I post much on here, for much of my activity occurred on the IRC channel, but I suppose I can begin to do so this year, if it will help at all. :D
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

It seems maybe you're going through it for the first time Sevena, in a way I was going through it even though I wasn't actually here in the pack's hay-day, I didn't need to be here to know how it would probably go, and this would be my third time.

Although I've mentioned it before, it might be worth explaining what I was going through at the time. I see things like this, perhaps everybody does and they don't concern themselves, or have accepted it, why then I have to wonder do they act surprised when it bites them? But most seem ignorant till it happens. Some move on, some linger as I did and become disenchanted. living though the tail end of one community hay-day, I arrived to The Were Artist Guild early in 2001, just in time to learn to enjoy the seemingly burgeoning community growth, which I wanted to be a part of, I'd never done anything like it before, but to then see it slip away, an eventuality I didn't want to accept.

I stuck around the host (therian) community that artist guild was built atop of, in artistic limbo as that's the only reason I was there, I didn't want to defect to Yerf (which became Artspots, I did eventually go there), and I was reluctant to come here to what I now know as the pack, because sure enough by the time I got here, it was deja vu, first WAG, then Artspots, now this. It didn't help that my stepping stone over here (Artspots) also suffered a similar fate, I saw that coming too, and grew increasingly frustrated before my jump here, there's nothing I can do to stop any of it. Perhaps now you'll see why I've been giving people some slack and trying to bring them around, as my first community did for me over 10 years ago.

I wish I had some warming stories to tell, I do, but not of the pack (save for ABrownrigg's visit to the community I was still hanging around at in 2004, that was weird, what the heck is a film director doing here? :? :lol: ), I arrived here too late to enjoy all these things you described, tired and already in a daze. However Trinity, who I've known for a long time from that first community is/was here, a welcome and familiar face who I've not seen for over 6 months now, and now there's you Sevena, probably the only person other than Trinity to seriously give me an artistic time of day around here, who brought back some memories from my time at WAG, I miss that place so much, now that I'm here, my golden era seems to be just beginning, and I don't want to see that stop.

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
demonwithin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Nightshade
Additional Details: Call me Nightshade :3
Mood: Ruthless

Post by demonwithin »

Out of curiosity.. would you guy like more pack members.. i have several who would be willing
They say that I can't last a day in the real world.... I say you wouldn't survive one night in mine...
FoxKnight
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: Account in stasis
Mood: Indifferent

Post by FoxKnight »

I assume we generally accept new members, but they may have to wait to be verified because a few of the last new members had to wait to be helped by an admin
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Honestly, I never really felt like The Pack died, or even that it's a shadow of its former self. It's certainly less active, but I always felt less like it was dead and more like it's just hibernating.

Essentially, we're at the point where a lot of us honestly don't know what else to do. We've debated everything we can possibly think of, we've either formed a consensus or made peace with our differences, and a lot of us are feeling like we've done what The Pack was established for the purpose of doing.

There are, of course, some people who seem to not only believe that The Pack has died, but who show a disturbing level of commitment to that idea. I'm not going to name names, but I think there are at least two people who are really sour over the fact that the consensus of The Pack ultimately was not a 100% copy of their own opinions. Others, I think, got in the habit of thinking of The Pack and Freeborn as being synonymous (which I haven't completely given up on either, though I do think it'll only get made when tech advancements allow it to be made on a budget).

I still check up on The Pack at least once every other day, but I've never felt a need to post or start a thread just for the sake of keeping the board moving. And I get the impression that's the dominant attitude as well.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Agreed, it hasn't died Terastas, I'll admit I had a bunch of ideas coming into it, but I'm one person, I am more limited than I may seem at times, sure I've learned and grown, but I'm not the charismatic sort that gives rise to a "golden era" like people talk about, but I'm here, and communities, at least to my mind, are about as good as sum of the people in them.

I remember it from my first real internet community, or the one Sevena remembers here, but it doesn't have to be a golden age all the time, if it was, we'd never have golden eras. I don't know all the places ABrownrigg went scouting for input, only the one I was a part of, but knowing that one, and its associated/fringe/parallel communities, some of who I know are the golden era makers and who I knew would come over to the pack, it's all as expected, this is how I knew they'd leave, to go to the next golden era. All the cool people are cool because they roll with the punches of communities like that, that's what makes them cool in so many other ways too, the reason why they're a joy to be in the company of, and why we miss them when they inevitably leave.

For the rest of us, we have our place, sure in my case I still vacillate quite a bit as to my value or what I can gain, but on the whole I'm enjoying my time here :) .

The Meeper
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

We can't recreate the past--only build a new future. I will admit a certain frustration that buzz here has fallen way down, right as our original purpose, of getting werewolves done right via the project that is now Freeborn, is finally getting done. Many of our other filmmaker members' werewolf projects (like Camp Lycanthrope and Hour of Darkness) remain in limbo, but I would hope that recent trends making werewolves finally become popular should give new hope at getting these scripts realized as well, in one form or another.

I must admit some guilt myself, since I only check in about once a month or so, whereas I used to check in daily during the old days.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

It may be that the scale and the breadth of the forum right now is a bit much for even old-returning-members to take in. I know for me I can't read through every thread since the last time I visited. It's too much.

I'm a mom now too, which wasn't the case back in the day when I first came into the fold. So my time is limited. I'm betting that over the years the life style of many of our memebrs has changed in some ways to make it less likely that they would return, or if they did return, may not be as active as they once were.

Freeborn took a while to bake, as it were. Once the scent of the new series hits the air, I'm sure our following will increase.

However, I would suggest that someone be in charge of "archiving" some of the oldest posts, and trim the fat, as it were.

This forum was for idea sharing to hash out and develop what Freeborn is now. I think to bring in more people the heart of this forum may need to change formats a bit. Redevelop it into a fan-forum instead of the idea generating forum. :)

People like to disscuss all things werewolf, sure. Let them, but lock the posts and maybe "cliff notes" the Freeborn world so people have an idea (without giving away plot) what the reality of Freeborn actually is based on. :)

I'm certain a new section will need to be added JUST for when the series is released. :) For people to discuss it, and contemplate what is in the next episode. ;)
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot
Mood: Relief

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

I started in 2007, stopped coming here in 2010 {checked in randomly before then]. Came back around the same time AB announced Freeborn was coming back...

And believe me, i miss those days too.

I had a chance to actually discuss and possibly learn something about writing from RedEye... but i never took the chance seriously.

And now... it's gone. and I've done that a second time too recently but on a different forum.

As for this place shutting down if you will... I don't know. It's almost as if, when it stopped being connected to Freeborn, it lost it's reason to continue.

Can we bring it back to the comfortable level it was at again? I don't know.

The only real constant in life is change... hmmm...

I agree with Terastas: I think some people figured that, with Freeborn in limbo, this site was pretty much done. and that we've pretty much discussed as much as we can right now... unless of course AB wants help getting ideas for episodes and such...

... For some reason i get ideas and then they never really pan out because... it's just not practical...
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Trinity wrote:Freeborn took a while to bake, as it were. Once the scent of the new series hits the air, I'm sure our following will increase.
And how.

Honestly, it kinda' irks me when people complain about the Pack not being what it used to be, because everything it used to be wasn't exactly good. The Pack had a surge of registered members and activity after the trailer came out -- when it was really starting to look like Freeborn could get made soon and we were talking about casting and free Pack pendants.

We had a lot of activity at that time, sure, but most of those newcomers were only interested in auditioning for the movie, collecting freebies or getting their names into the credits, and at best were just pretending to debate about werewolves to increase their post counts.

And I don't have any problem with fingering these people for what they were, because as soon as it became apparent that Freeborn was not about to be made, they all left.

Honestly, I think coming back after a few days and seeing no change is preferable to having that new thread you were watching get buried in an hour under a pile of repeat topics, necroposts and requests that Freeborn move production to Norway so somebody could audition (I always liked that one).
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I'm gonna be totally honest here.

I think the 'movie' Freeborn is destroying what would otherwise be a nice, generous atmosphere for werewolf-fans and likeminded people on this forum. Wether or not Freeborn will ever see the light of day is completely unimportant to the fact that this forum used to be more active, because it wasn't 'just' Freeborn that made this forum come alive. There was way more going on than that, and thats why I believe that the general atmosphere on this forum would be a lot nicer if we just shifted the focus a little bit. Freeborn may or may not ever come out, this is just something that you have to accept when it comes to 'independant' productions like these. Instead of moping on about that and speculating about it, lets just focus on the things that made this forum enjoyable.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Morkulv wrote:I'm gonna be totally honest here.

I think the 'movie' Freeborn is destroying what would otherwise be a nice, generous atmosphere for werewolf-fans and likeminded people on this forum. Wether or not Freeborn will ever see the light of day is completely unimportant to the fact that this forum used to be more active, because it wasn't 'just' Freeborn that made this forum come alive. There was way more going on than that, and thats why I believe that the general atmosphere on this forum would be a lot nicer if we just shifted the focus a little bit. Freeborn may or may not ever come out, this is just something that you have to accept when it comes to 'independant' productions like these. Instead of moping on about that and speculating about it, lets just focus on the things that made this forum enjoyable.
Never meant to imply otherwise. But all of those people who made The Pack what it used to be (the ones who signed up when it was called "Devoured") are in the state I mentioned previously of not being able to think of anything that hasn't been covered yet.

It wasn't Freeborn that made the Pack come alive. Hell, if anything, it was the opposite; Freeborn got a lot of hype and exposure for being a werewolf movie with input directly from werewolf enthusiasts.

And that exposure was, of course, proceeded by the aforementioned wave of moochers who contributed nothing but wanted to be treated as if they had. So you're preaching to the choir Morkulv -- the people who need to be told that the Pack isn't just about Freeborn aren't here anymore.

So that's where we are: We've debated everything worth debating, and now all of our members are either waiting or keeping busy elsewhere. Save for one or two who now keep themselves busy at the Pack by complaining that the Pack isn't what it used to be.

Sorry, but these threads are really starting to tick me off. Makes me feel like they thought our one and only purpose in the world was to keep them entertained.
Moonraiser
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Waiting for Freeborn...
Additional Details: Waiting for Freeborn. I don't know if I can take not knowing what will become of this movie much longer. I wish I had some sort of information...
Mood: Sad

Post by Moonraiser »

Sevena wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:03 am Moonraiser was a regular poster

I'm still alive. I just kinda, slowly, meandered elsewhere after learning Freeborn's fate. A lot of people did that.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

eh i came here becouse its Werewolf forum here i learned about Freeborn and im still here just itching for werewolf themed discusions
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Likewise. Well, sort of. By the time AB rolled around my previous forum home back in 2004, my enthusiasm for werewolves had mellowed. So I didn't make the hop over with everyone else at the time. I didn't feel it was my place even to visit the site back then because I knew far more talented and enthusiastic people were rushing in, I'm like "Nyar, what the hell would they need me for, I'm too stupid to influence a movie", which is what I thought it was all about back then. The fact that being here meant you'd be in the credits doubly scared me off. 1) I'm not worthy, why even come here, and 2) I thought they were going to start taking names to put in the credits, like, how about NO! leave me alone! Mneeer. But by 2007 I'd been drifting away from my old haunt for a while, and in 2009 I felt more comfortable and left there to come see what was going on here. That's how these things go.

A little while ago though, I used this forum to contact an old friend, one of the ones who did arrive here early on from my old haunt, and she, like Moonraiser, is just busy. One day I might go back to my old forum (if it's still there). One day, she might come back here. Who knows...
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Uniform Two Six »

I remember the old haunt that I was on when I found out about this place. It was the old Moonsong site. I went back recently. They're about as dead as this place. (At least I can still log in here, though).

On a slight aside, has anyone heard from AB recently? Last year, he started to post a revision of the Freeborn script on DeviantArt, and then he suddenly seemed to disappear off the face of the earth. I haven't seen any internet activity from him anywhere recently.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Post by Volkodlak »

Uniform he is active on Facebook
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Ugh. I have to go on Facebook? Ick. :)
takyoji
Legendary
Legendary

Post by takyoji »

I've generally been feeling as if the inactivity is also part of my fault for lack of doing any sort of improvement with the forum, given that it's back to a stock theme, and I haven't completed any work of a new, modern werewolfy theme (thus it's not a very engaging experience). I've tried contacting others for artistic direction, with a promise of full compensation, but still can't find anyone to assist.

It also just seems that a lot of people have also just disappeared from the internet entirely. Most of the moderators I can't even really find any activity of online, anywhere.

I've been wanting to get everything all improved, and then do a mass-email to all users ("Hey, we still exist, and things are better now!"), and was even hoping for certain deadlines (such as the 10th anniversary of the forum, which was 3 years ago...) but keep sliding past those all the time.

And speaking of Facebook, there's been another lingering idea that I've been poking at, which is 'Werewolf Twitter' (but obviously not by that name), whereas instead of the werewolf community being splintered across Twitter (as it currently is), to have a federated social networking system for sharing artwork, discussions, announcements, etc, in a central location. There's currently Mastodon, and there's the recent development of ActivityPub as a standard being ratified by the W3C to have a standardized federated social networking protocol, so I may try jumping on the 'early adopter' bus with that, to create a 'Werewolf Twitter', but as a separate project from The Pack's Den.

I generally hate social media, I've long terminated my Facebook account, and I've made little use of Twitter (only for following a few select of people), and I just hate the notion of publicly blurting everything (I think Twitter can only be all-public or all-private?). Meanwhile, I'd try making a community that's topic-specific to werewolves, not full of political virtue signalling posts, and has reasonable privacy controls (like that of Mastodon, where some posts can be public, private, only to specific people, etc) and more.

But I generally can't seem to accomplish anything.
Avatar original image by "sometimesong" of Flickr, released under the Creative Commons license (share-alike, attribution, non-commercial, no-derivatives)
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

takyoji wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 pm I've generally been feeling as if the inactivity is also part of my fault for lack of doing any sort of improvement with the forum, given that it's back to a stock theme...
Well, I don't know about that. I think Terastas was on the money in that a lot of the popularity of the site was tied to Freeborn. When that project sort of faded into Turnaround, the traffic (and regulars) sort of drifted away too. I know not everyone came around here because of Freeborn, but it was like this a couple of years back, and then AB tried a re-launch of the project and all of a sudden, the board came back to life... then sort of faded again. I suspect that if a new werewolf project got off the ground, we'd see a similar resurgence. Unfortunately, most of the werewolf movies are craptastic, and there's not many of them to begin with... as evidenced that it's almost Halloween and there's not a single werewolf flick coming out (that I know of). I think that's the real issue -- that and the fact that the real world has gotten so depressing with politics and whatnot that there's too much other stuff to occupy our attentions.
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

takyoji wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 pm I've generally been feeling as if the inactivity is also part of my fault for lack of doing any sort of improvement with the forum
I don't think the lack of activity is your fault, takyoji! You keep this place alive, time and again, so the information here isn't lost and for the possible day, folks will want to come back here - and you haven't given up on this project. All things that to be proud of and that I personally really appreciate. So thumbs up from me for this! :howl:  :oo

I would agree with uniform two six - this board lived off of the freeborn project. Besides this there has been a lot of talk about werewolves in the past and now there's not much new to talk about since the discussions back then have been very sophisticated and all. I think a reviving of this place will need a new topic/new focus to gather pack folks again - at least some of them. But what this could be, besides werewolfy/theriantropic artwork, stories, etc. I have no clue right now ??

Take care,
Grayheart
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Hey, Grayheart, I've got a dumb question (totally off topic). Noticing your board graphic... I know what an Admin is, and I know what a Moderator is... What the heck is a Game Master? I've never seen that before anywhere else.
:?
Grayheart
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: The Striding Stranger

Post by Grayheart »

Uniform Two Six wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:18 pm Hey, Grayheart, I've got a dumb question (totally off topic). Noticing your board graphic... I know what an Admin is, and I know what a Moderator is... What the heck is a Game Master? I've never seen that before anywhere else.
:?
There are no dumb questions :wink: This Game Master thing derives from a time when there was a lot of activity in the role-playing section. It should give folks that lead rpgs some limited moderating powers in this subsection only. Now it's a pretty useless status to me, since there are no more games taking place here, though.
In wildness is the preservation of the world
So seek the wolf in thyself!

(Metallica - Of Wolf and Man)