Their diet?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
ABrownrigg
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ABrownrigg »

I would tend to look at it this way.

instincts arent to 'eat people'.. but instincts when hungry are.. if something runs.. chase it.. now that instinct can be supressed in gestalt form.. when you have more experience with it..

Now.. in 'some rare cases'... the human psychology of wanting to 'unleash' all that PCness they have built up over the years.. can mingle with wolf instiincts and make that werewolf a very dangerous creature.. not so much because the wolf itself is savage.. but because the human behind it has a good 'excuse' as it were to be as bloody and as carnal as they desire, without the fear of retribution.. or moral consequences. Hey, im an animal.. why not.. (kind of thing).. People might not taste good.. but they're great to hunt in that case.. they scream a lot.. and thrash a lol.. and arent easy to catch becaus they 'think' and use tactics .. what fun.. (now this is in rare cases.. but its the person themselves tha has the problem.. not the wolf part)

So in other words, if you're a werewolf.. DONT BITE ANY JERKS!!!

You dont want some wacko with that kind of power on their hands.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

ABrownrigg wrote:
So in other words, if you're a werewolf.. DONT BITE ANY JERKS!!!

You dont want some wacko with that kind of power on their hands.

Yup...just "Snap into a Slim Jim" instead.

Heh...sorry... couldn't resist. :jester:
neoritter
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Dogfighter

Post by neoritter »

ABrownrigg wrote: ..but because the human behind it has a good 'excuse' as it were to be as bloody and as carnal as they desire, without the fear of retribution.. or moral consequences. Hey, im an animal.. why not.. (kind of thing)...
There is retribution and plenty of it. First, being a werewolf is not an excuse since most would not believe it. Second, supposed werewolves or lycanthropes have been tried and put to death up to the 1940's. There is plenty retribution to go around. Now if its such a rare case which it very much is. Why say it? Its not the norm and hence shouldn't be considered.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Since werewolves are part human and part wolf, (or at least something like the two) I think they should neither eat human nor wolf. Kill one of two if it pissed them off...OK...but not actually eating any. Yuck! :P
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

There was 3 threads talking about the werewolf's diet. Its now merged into one.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

chickens
doggs
people
babies :lol:
hot dogs
steak
mcdonalds
chick fila
squirrels
all kinds of stuff....almost as if it doesnt even have a set diet.....it just eats what it wants when it wants...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Werewolf? Diet?

Post by RedEye »

Suspicions are that, tabloid press to the contrary, Werewolves would tend to keep the Human digestive tract (more efficient), thus opening up a world of possibilities.
Since Canids don't digest heavily processed grains very well, they'd avoid things like Bread and such, but stuff like Oatmeal would be quite as digestable for them as it'd be for us.
Preferences would be toward meat, which begs the question "Do Were's suffer from High Cholesterol?" Very likely, in some cases...
Ordainary Dog Food IS edible by humans: blander than all get out, but with the addition of a Wolf's sense of smell and taste; probably not too bad. They might carry the "Patty" or "Package" semi-moist stuff as a sort of K-ration.
Where the Human base, and the Canine overscript, might come into trouble is with things that Humans can eat but are harmful to Dogs and Wolves...Onions, Garlic, Bell Peppers: all bad stuff. Many citrus fruits cause terrible gas in Dogs...And the amounts of Potassium in Bananas make them dangerously metal-toxic to canines.
If we accept the high resistance to poisons that seem to be common in Were' stories, this stuff wouldn't kill them, just make them wish it had.
I do remember one warning: * "If it smells or tastes bad: it is; you cannot depend on your previous Human likes or dislikes for what's safe to eat."
*Wulfen Blood, in rewrite previous to print
And with that, I'm about run out.... hwlwnk
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

There's a note about the story of Kamala and Amala, the Indian wolf-children found back in the '20s. They survived on a diet of pure meat, and when they were "rescued," continued that diet. They also drank less water; while being raised by wolves, they would go to water all the time because they lived near it. Upon "civilization," they did what everyone else does: go to the tap with a glass.

They died shortly after being rescued. Autopsies showed that they died of uric acid poisoning. A pure-meat diet, without a lot of water, causes highly toxic uric acid to build up in the bloodstream.

So...I guess dog food patties and a big ol' honkin' Camelbak to go along with it, yes? :)
ImageImageImageImage
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

Figarou wrote:There was 3 threads talking about the werewolf's diet. Its now merged into one.
which explains why reading the previous pages was like listening to someone on acid talk to someone with split personalities.
:lol:

Anywho. I would imagine werewolves to be omnivores. like humans, or bears. Eating fruits, berries, and such along with meat. After all even wolves have been seen eating apples.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Perhaps the Werewolf mutation would moodify the Human digestive tract just a bit, to the point that they would by preference eat meat and crunch bones, but also be able to digest gluten if not too finely ground up. What I'm referring to is that Gluten, a protein in wheat, is digestable by most humans, especially as bread, made from finely ground flour. I've found out that dogs get some rather nasty upsets if they eat too much bread, but can eat Cornbread all day long, since it's made from meal, not flour.
I suspect thet Werewolves would be much the same way in their diet, needing the coarse meal to assist digestion.
Were's would probably be also needful of about 50% more food per day then non-were's, since any metamorph is by nature a high energy user.
Some friuts would provide needed sugars, to keep the fires burning.
All in all, I don't see were's as being that much different, diet wise; and don't forget that Wolves are Protein-dependant Ominvores, not classic carnivores. They basically already have a human-like digestive tract. they just need more meat than we do, and cannot live on vegetable products alone due to micro-nutririent deficiencies: Dry dog food is an example of this: they can digest cornmeal fine, but they need the extra stuff mixed with it to survive; stuff that normally comes from meat.
Hence, Kibble and those pre-formed "patties" would feed a werewolf just fine: sorta' like MRE's feed us.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

Re: Their diet?

Post by Volkodlak »

Well in my view werewolfs can eat everything human and wolf can, but this does not means werewolf will eat raw meat when changed he could eat a salad and/or soy meat its his choice.

Basicaly werewolf eats what he wants he can go hunt for a deer or he can microwave frozen pizza during full moon
Kveldulf
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Kveldulf »

Actually natural wolves certainly do scavenge human bodies when the opportunity arises. The Vikings referred to doing battle as "feeding the wolves" for just this reason; wolves, ravens, and eagles were defined as the three "beasts of battle" because they hung about the edges waiting for their feed. Also, one of the main reasons that pretty much all Indo-European cultures see wolves (and dogs) as beasts of death is because they can, will, and do dig up graves when they get hungry (a chap by the name of Paul Barber also suggested that this is one reason why folkloric vampires were thought to turn into dogs or wolves...there's the grave, and there's that big canine running away from it, and the dirt is disturbed...the book, which some of ye may be interested in if you want to spice up your werewolf tales with the odd historically based vampire, is called "Vampires, Burial, and Death", and it's an awesome, if occasionally kind of gross, evaluation of vampire folklore in the light of all the fascinating things dead bodies actually do)
Having said that, natural wolves certainly don't go out of their way to eat humans except when desperate or when a buffet is left out for them. And, for reasons no one has ever adequately explained, European wolves are a lot more prone to do so than North American wolves (which just don't seem to attack people unless they're rabid).

From the werewolf point of view - circumstances and "how much human mind do you keep in wolf-form?" would be major issues (leaving out the matters of individual psychopaths and werewolf-cultures that specifically consider themselves top of the food chain). If you don't keep some human consciousness, but live in the wilds of Alaska, you're probably going to go for various prey critters and avoid humans as much as possible, like a natural wolf. However, if you live in New York City...either the neighborhood pets are in a lot of trouble, or Something Untowards may well happen as a result of being in an unnatural environment without your preferred prey and with very vulnerable people sleeping on the streets. I would assume that a sane werewolf who kept some degree of human consciousness (unless going for humans were specifically part of some godsawful curse or such in which case, one would have to move along every month - an interesting potential story in a sort of Bruce Bannerish way, only bloodier) would avoid eating humans, not so much because the wolf side would have an opinion, but because, well, most modern humans generally have this Thing about the whole cannibalism concept. And for at least one very good reason: even if not full of vile modern chemicals, and no matter how potentially nutritious...a human can catch anything a human can catch. Not an issue directly for werewolves, but it's pretty well socked into most human cultures these days that there's something just morally wrong about cannibalism, and most werewolves are strongly influenced by their human cultures.

The question of whether werewolves could get kuru (the human version of mad cow/scrapie, which is transmitted by eating humans, particularly brain tissue) is an interesting one. I believe there was a study done recently that involved transmitting kuru (and CJD and variant CJD) to both wild-type and transgenic mice, and both were affected, so it looks as though animals *can* get kuru; but I would tend to think that the physical characteristics of lycanthropy would prevent the misfolding replication, given the extensive changes down to, probably, the molecular level involved in the Change. Plus, kuru is not exactly common; best guess is that someone in New Guinea ate someone who had sporadic CJD, and it just went on from there, so unless you're hunting a holdout band of traditional Papuans, getting a prion disease from eating humans probably isn't going to be your biggest concern (that would be the metaphorical bands of hunters with pitchforks and torches, if you insist on eating humans on a regular basis).

Interestingly, the original establishment of tapeworms as a very common parasite humans may also have been related to the common earlier practice of cannibalism in...just about everywhere. I am just going to hope that werewolves do not get internal parasites from any of our prey species, otherwise we'd all be dropping by the vet for those special little pills on a pretty regular basis...and making a point of never ever ever looking into the bowl before flushing.

Finally, if you're looking for loads of blood'n'gore in your werewolf tales...natural wolves not only go for the soft squishy nutritious bits first, they have been known to start doing so before the prey is actually dead. No one ever said Nature was *nice*...
BishopEffie
Custom Title: Ms

Post by BishopEffie »

you might get some power crazed werewolves out there, that want to hunt humans.. but its because they 'want' to.

——————————————————————————————————
amiri jeans