love death and robots

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Bored

love death and robots

Post by Volkodlak »

Here i found this scene from show love death and robots as far i can tell its several episodes unrelated to eachother, and it has episode with werewolfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVBgD8cBKh8
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Re: love death and robots

Post by Uniform Two Six »

And as much as I loved "Shapeshifters", my favorite was "Lucky 13". I'm stoked that they're apparently going to do another season at some point.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Friendly Neighbourhood Meeper
Additional Details: Wannabe mad scientist.
Mood: Busy

Post by Meeper »

Huh, the name rings a bell, but I've actually no idea. Is this a netflix thing? (don't mind El Luddite over here, I haven't had a TV for 19 years, netflix scares me okay? Like the VCR scares everyone's granny. :P )

Nice woofers anyway, kind of reminds me of a video review of Tomb Raider once, Lara croft shooting the snot out of an assortment of gorgeous mammals; here we have gorgeous werewolves turning each other into big chunky kibbles. Still, they're very pretty. :)

The Meeper.
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Meh... Tails would have been nice.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Yeah true, tails would have been nice.

I think my peeve is the inconsistent transformation gimicks: One guy's face transforms straight into a wolf with no apparent skin peeling; another transforms and rips the human facial skin off to reveal the wolf face beneath just for the sake of looking badass. It's all very silly but creators keep doing it :P .
While the empty can may rattle the most, of equal or potentially greater import is what the reputably quiet cans are really full of.
All names are but souvenirs, in the end. Make good of your stay, so that they hold happy memories ~ Some guy.
Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Good fight scene overall, though. I will say this, though: This may be the best way to do a werewolf film. If you do the whole thing CGI, then the werewolves (and anything else that would normally be done as special affects) wind up blending in with the rest of the thing seamlessly. On the other hand, if you do the majority live-action means that the parts that need to be special effects sort of stand out -- they just look different. I've got several nitpicks on "Shapeshifters" (tail-stubs, ripping skin, some of the movements aren't quite smooth enough, etc.) but overall it just looks really good and works. I wouldn't mind seeing a feature length film done like this (again, presuming they could fix my nitpicks with the werewolf design).
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Agreed, I'd love to see a feature length film done this way.

In a few respects that's what I was alluding. Within what is essentially a glorified video game cut scene produced in a good renderer with good assets (ala Tomb Raider graphics of said game review, with their (relatively for a video game) gorgeous tiger and wolf 3d models and such). Whoever put this particular video together (nit-picks aside) obviously knew what they were doing, and within that scope, could have done virtually anything (part of why the inconsistent wolf shifts bugged me more than "where's the tails?!", but the overall look was more important to me than either).

The Meeper.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

I wonder what the production budget on this was. There was some noise a while back about Hollywood forecasting that full-length CGI was going to be the wave of the future. I think it was in the wake of 300's box office success (or maybe Avatar). Something about not having to do location shoots or set construction, with all sorts of speculation that onscreen talent was going to get whittled down to motion capture and not much else. One of the biggest constraints on werewolf films (aside from the minor issue of an almost pathological aversion to actually writing good scripts) was the technical hurdles of all the creature effects. I'm probably way off-base here, but for some reason, Love Death and Robots sort of feels low-budget somehow. I wonder if the cost of CGI / motion capture has come down enough to make feature-length CGI viable from a business perspective. I know we've had a couple already, but they were intended to be high-end blockbusters, not matinee-crowd six dollar movies.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Well, I just looked it up. This one was done by Blur Studio. Shout out to Tim Miller.

The complete Shape-Shifters episode has a 16 minute run time. Deadpool run time is 108 minutes and cost $58 million. Divide 58 by 7 to roughly equate the run times: Somewhere in the ballpark of $8-9 million maybe?

Yeah, Hollywood. :P

The Meeper.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Eh... I don't know. According to Wikipedia, they (Blur) did all sorts of stuff including the spaceship scene in Avatar and the hilarious Hell scene in the South Park movie. Presumably, they have all of the motion capture technology in-house already, and given all of the Halo stuff they're doing, I'd bet that they probably didn't have to re-invent the wheel on a lot of the military-(esque) artifacts in Shapeshifters, so the real costs would be the labor regarding creature design and the cost of computer-power for render. Given that they appear to have a lot of talent already under the roof, and the constantly falling cost of processor-power, I wouldn't be all that surprised if the price tag was significantly less than that eight million number.

I can hope at least.
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

I think it's probably like you said, the video has a "low budget" feel. It actually reminds me of video game graphics, but then again there's been talk of multi-million dollar budgets for AAA game titles because of all the bells and whistles high end games are expected to have now. This isn't a game engine, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it was rendered at interactive speeds on high end gaming PC hardware. Sans all the game play and game logic elements, you get something akin to Daz3D or Poser, which could probably do a good approximation of this video with a three or four, or maybe five figure budget.

I don't know, I might see if I can dig up an actual budget for this. Maybe Blur publishes that stuff on their website or something.

The Meeper.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

That's actually a good point. The video game industry has pushed a whole bunch of tech and software for a couple of decades now that are driving down the costs of exactly this kind of thing.

Ironically, the reason that good graphics on games are still so expensive is Bitcoin -- the graphics processors are apparently ideally suited to Bitcoin mining, and the demand is keeping high-end GPUs expensive.

However, if you look at the CGI that was state of the art in movies two decades ago, it's even or possibly somewhat below what you see in consumer games like Xbox and Playstation.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

Personaly young werewolf(middle one in picture) looks the best
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Ahh yes, monotone black/dark grey werewolf are always magically made to look more appealing to look at. :)

This reminds me of the contrasting Van Helsing werewolves, except with better ears. :P

The Meeper.
Volkodlak
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Volkodlak »

its just perpotions that wins me
Meeper
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Meeper »

Yeah agreed, I just mean the black wolves usually end up getting better aesthetics, like nicer proportions.

I like the way the digitigrade legs have been done, and an overall muscular but light and lean look, like a middle distance runner.

The Meeper.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

WOOT!!! :o New season is apparently coming out Friday.
Uniform Two Six
Legendary
Legendary

Just saw it at a friend's house. No werewolves this time through, but the episode "All Through the House" had me laughing so hard I almost threw up. It is possibly the single funniest thing I've ever seen.
:lol: