overall werewolf abilities

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Vilkacis wrote:You could always
:sickpup:
Well, It's not like I'm a supermodel or anything :grinp:

Edit: VVVV That still doesn't solve the problem of not being able to sit down. The chair is man's greatest invention.
Last edited by Lupin on Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Yeah like vilkacis said, or you can make a whole though your stomach to clean everything out before dinner time. :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

The Re: Generation

Post by Scott Gardener »

Suddenly, regeneration is a LOT more plausible!

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,68962,00.html

If this can happen almost by accident, then anything that can engineer a werewolf would almost want to include this, if for no other reason than to fix problems caused by shifting. I'm upgrading my werewolves a little to match what these mice can do.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: The Re: Generation

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:Suddenly, regeneration is a LOT more plausible!

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,68962,00.html

If this can happen almost by accident, then anything that can engineer a werewolf would almost want to include this, if for no other reason than to fix problems caused by shifting. I'm upgrading my werewolves a little to match what these mice can do.

nice....it'll be like that character in Men in Black. Head gets blown away, new one grows back.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Take note that the brain was the one bit that wouldn't reliably regenerate, and thus such injury would be permanent. I'm curious exactly how this effects the lifetime of the mice, as many, many varieties of 'natural cause of death' could be solved by this.
Sanity is relative.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Take note that the brain was the one bit that wouldn't reliably regenerate, and thus such injury would be permanent.
Even if it could regenerate, you'd still probably see permanent effects since the information is encoded by the way neurons interconnect, and that would probably change after regeneration.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Lupin wrote:
Ralith Lupus wrote:Take note that the brain was the one bit that wouldn't reliably regenerate, and thus such injury would be permanent.
Even if it could regenerate, you'd still probably see permanent effects since the information is encoded by the way neurons interconnect, and that would probably change after regeneration.
"Ol' Greyflanks has never been the same since he grew his head back after that elephant debaucle."
"How so?"
"He thinks I'm a divan, and he tries to mate with the ottoman."
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

But dont some people with brain damage regrow those connections after a while? Like I remeber on the discovery channel a person was in a wreck and had some brain damage and went into a coma. When she woke up, she couldnt remeber things but after a while the brain repaired itself and she got her memory back. So I can see parts of the brain regrowing just not parts like the brain stem that controlls the bodys vital functions.(cant remeber the real name for that part of the brain) I also think that werewolves would be able to regenerate and heal faster than people but it makes them very weak and there would be signs that the regrown part is different. (maybe different shade of fur or something)
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Petard wrote:But dont some people with brain damage regrow those connections after a while? Like I remeber on the discovery channel a person was in a wreck and had some brain damage and went into a coma. When she woke up, she couldnt remeber things but after a while the brain repaired itself and she got her memory back.
Well that's just stuff that's already there reparing itself. Regeneration from scratch would be completely different. You can't reconstruct what's not there.
Short Tail
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Resident Chakat

Post by Short Tail »

true, and point well made, however there are plenty examples of animals in nature that have the ability to regrow lost parts naturaly. A good example is the star fish. If it loses an arm, no problem it grows a new one in it's place. If the lost arm has a even a tiny bit of the "middle" it will regrow into a whole new starfish. However they are not quite as comples as a vertibrate so lets move to the next example. A Geko can detach its tail which wiggles around as the lizzard excapes. It can then easily regrow the tail bones and all with no defects. I think I also read somewhere that monotremes have a limited regeneration ability, but don't quote me on that. (monotremes are the freaks of the mammals anyway :lol: )
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

The starfish bits regrowing into entire starfish is a special case; and besides, you then end up with a completely new starfish (assuming that they have something like memories that'd differentiate a clone from the original :P). Past that, this is exactly what we're talking about. The only thing is that regeration takes quite a while, especially for major bits, increasing vulnerability to infection. An entire limb would take ages (several months to a year, or longer), and be quite obviously different until regrowth completed, at which point it would probably blend in nicely.
Sanity is relative.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

If you unscrew your computer case, remove the hard drive, and dismantle it, removing one of the disc platters, whatever is on there will be gone. If you repair the damage and replace the platter with a new one, put the hard drive back, and use whatever is left to rebuild, rewriting the missing portions of the OS with fresh code, you're still not going to get back the missing content, even if you can recreate drivers to make the computer work again.

Kooky analogy, but you get the idea.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

Here's my input on what a werewolf should be. Just my take on it.

A werewolf, regardless of being born or turned, will gain the following:

1.Heightened senses; agility; strength; healing; pain threshold; tolerance; endurance; athleticism; speed and awareness. Granted not all the physical aspects will be heightened right off the bat, but certain things like senses will be increased during involutary events, especially for the turned ones, but over time, they'll gain full control over their abilities, including being able to leap and fall far distances, like a feline, ironically enough.

2. Free of disease and doesn't age. This would be a bit different with born werewolves as opposed to turned werewolves. Born werewolves would age until what would seem to be their physical prime and usually stop aging there. Turned werewolves would stop aging the moment the lycanthropy was transferred to them. They wouldn't get sick, but they would be able to be effected by things such as alcohol, although it would take a much, much greater consumption of it for them to be effected as opposed to a human.

3. Control over the wolf. This would take a while for turned werewolves, anywhere between two-five years for them to be able to change at will, and even longer for them to be more resistant to the effects of the full moon. The full moon would pull at them, and make them usually either want to hunt in their wolf form, or - if hunting wasn't an option depending on the situation - spend alot of time with their mate/lover, in that sense. :wink:

4. Special abilities. This would be rare, depending on the DNA of the werewolf, if they were born or turned, how old, or how much effort they put into trying to learn the ability. Basically, if a werewolf trained and concentrated hard enough, then they would be able to use a specific, unique ability. Examples would be being able to communicate with actual wolves, change their clothes along with the rest of their body, their attire shifting into their skin as it becomes the fur pelt of their wolf form, or changing just a individual part of their body, such as a hand, or their head.

5. Pack Life. Werewolf packs would be very different, depending on the personality of the werewolf. Some are large, even having up to fifty members, and some smaller, only having four or five members. There could be a single Alpha, either male or female, two Alphas who are mates, or not, and some - depending on the circumstances - even having two males who share the Alpha position while trying to figure out which should become the full Alpha. Their would be a Beta Male and Female, or just one Beta, AKA the second in command. Some packs would have an Omega, AKA the lowest member on the chain of command, but this would be rare. Some packs are kind, avoiding humans unless they have to, and can be naturally vicious when it comes down to it, like normal wolves, while some can be complete punks, more rowdy savage gangs that love to cause chaos and death wherever they go. Some would be more proud, wearing rich clothing, almost like that of an aristocratic vampire.

I think that's everything, but if I can think up something else I'll post again.
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

NightSlash wrote:4. Special abilities. This would be rare, depending on the DNA of the werewolf, if they were born or turned, how old, or how much effort they put into trying to learn the ability. Basically, if a werewolf trained and concentrated hard enough, then they would be able to use a specific, unique ability. Examples would be being able to communicate with actual wolves, change their clothes along with the rest of their body, their attire shifting into their skin as it becomes the fur pelt of their wolf form, or changing just a individual part of their body, such as a hand, or their head.
An ability to change attire into parts of their own body like skin or fur during a shift? In my picture of the shifting process only parts belonging to the body are affected from the shift. Your opinion sounbd illogical to me because it concludes some too special abilities as the total control of each matte the werewolf touches. For instance a werewolf touches my hand and couses a transformation of it by his will. No, by all means, that sounds much too odd for me. Werewolves are mystical beings but they are not wizards.

NightSlash wrote: 5. Pack Life. Werewolf packs would be very different, depending on the personality of the werewolf. Some are large, even having up to fifty members, and some smaller, only having four or five members. There could be a single Alpha, either male or female, two Alphas who are mates, or not, and some - depending on the circumstances - even having two males who share the Alpha position while trying to figure out which should become the full Alpha. Their would be a Beta Male and Female, or just one Beta, AKA the second in command. Some packs would have an Omega, AKA the lowest member on the chain of command, but this would be rare. Some packs are kind, avoiding humans unless they have to, and can be naturally vicious when it comes down to it, like normal wolves, while some can be complete punks, more rowdy savage gangs that love to cause chaos and death wherever they go. Some would be more proud, wearing rich clothing, almost like that of an aristocratic vampire.
The pack structure of both, humans and wolves, are in many points similar to each other. Thus the packstructure of werewolves has to be similar to both of them too.
You will never find two Alphas in a pack, not even for a very time.
You'll be able to find an Omega in every pack, because there'll ever exist a weakest individual. The social pack structure is an archaic hirachical one.

That is my point of view of this.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
NightSlash
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightSlash »

Curan wrote:An ability to change attire into parts of their own body like skin or fur during a shift? In my picture of the shifting process only parts belonging to the body are affected from the shift. Your opinion sounbd illogical to me because it concludes some too special abilities as the total control of each matte the werewolf touches. For instance a werewolf touches my hand and couses a transformation of it by his will. No, by all means, that sounds much too odd for me. Werewolves are mystical beings but they are not wizards.
Vampires aren't wizards either, and yet they have been shown to alter their clothing along with the rest of them into a bat, a flock of bats, various monsters (like the Hellbeast from Van Helsing) or even fog. I just figured that if a vampire would be capable of performing such a feat, than a werewolf should be able to do so also, to a degree at least. Just my opinion.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Addressing the clothing thing:

I think that, for supernatural werewolves, this would be fine. In fact, I'd almost expect it. But, for werewolves like the ones in Freeborn, who are going to be at least marginally realistic, I think this option might not be a good one. However, the concept of being able to communicate with actual wolves, or being able to change only one part of their body, are fine. I see those as being believable.
Curan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Curan »

NightSlash wrote:Vampires aren't wizards either, and yet they have been shown to alter their clothing along with the rest of them into a bat, a flock of bats, various monsters (like the Hellbeast from Van Helsing) or even fog. I just figured that if a vampire would be capable of performing such a feat, than a werewolf should be able to do so also, to a degree at least. Just my opinion.
Yes that's your point. In Van Helsing both, Vampires and Werwolves, have this ability. You can see Valcan wearing his pants after reshifting to his human form. But that Van-Helsing-Creatures are all magical creatures which have an alliance with the devil. So they ARE a kind of wizards whith special abilities such as to transform their attire.

But I prefer the view of Vampires and Werwolves used in Underworld. There is no magic in it. So none of them have the ability shown in Van Helsing. And I think this gives the whole vampire/werwolf theme a more realistic touch, doesn't it?
Homo lupo lupus est.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I wouldnt consider the werewolves in van helsing as aliance with the devil, thier too cute!!! and besides the prophet in the story said that the werewolfs would kill dracula, atleast werewolfs are part good unlike vampires.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Curan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Curan »

Hmmmh ... if my enemy is evil. Does it convludes that the enemy of my enemy is goog? I don't think so 8)
Homo lupo lupus est.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Huh? :? oh I see what you mean, but atleast the werewolfs arent all bad like vampires, you got to admit that, cmon. :puppyeyes:
Image Image
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Vuldari wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:DID you read the post above!!! :x
...yeah...I read it.

...and I'm no sooner going to concede that bulgy muscles look attractive than I am going to say that Mary Kate and Ashley are cool.

If you are not gong to speak with me ever again over that...well...thats your own perogative.
Theres too much muschles :o

Werewolf should have muschles but not that much, it consumes the agility that is important to a were and it looks pretty nasty.
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Curan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Curan »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Huh? :? oh I see what you mean, but atleast the werewolfs arent all bad like vampires, you got to admit that, cmon. :puppyeyes:
Yes I admit that not all of werewolves are bad guies. And I like the perception that werewolves are the good ones :wink:
Homo lupo lupus est.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Mabey not like that, but a little less, and hey alot of people like thier werewolfs like Arnold, and you leave Arny alone cause hes my hero!! 8)

EDIT: To be honest, thats not that muscular compare to some drawings Ive seen.
Image Image
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Re: overall werewolf abilities

Post by Moonstalker »

I didn't even remember this place existed. So what's the current status? The movie is still being made?
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Chance
Legendary
Legendary
Additional Details: There is joy in everything you do, you just have to realize it's there so you can embrace it.
Mood: Happy

Re: overall werewolf abilities

Post by Chance »

I as of late , haven't seen anything about it. Most of the stuff I came across just awhile back was waaayyy out of date. Status being at the least a few years old. So ...it doesn't look like it. But, I could be totally wrong.