Music/sounds and their effects on werewolves?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Music/sounds and their effects on werewolves?

Post by SGrayWolf »

The other topic related to music got me thinking...

How does everyone think certain music and/or sounds will effect the werewolves? Maybe certain sounds that will calm them down, soothe them, anger them moreso, etc?

Like canines, I'm sure certain high pitched noises will hurt their ears and probably increase their frustrations (among other things).

Any other thoughts?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Music/sounds and their effects on werewolves?

Post by Figarou »

SGrayWolf wrote:The other topic related to music got me thinking...

How does everyone think certain music and/or sounds will effect the werewolves? Maybe certain sounds that will calm them down, soothe them, anger them moreso, etc?

Like canines, I'm sure certain high pitched noises will hurt their ears and probably increase their frustrations (among other things).

Any other thoughts?

hmmm.......I heard a few dogs howl when an ambulance go by.

As to music....if he likes a certain type as a human, why not carry it over to the wolf side.

Now where did I see a dancing werewolf in this forum.

:lol:
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: Music/sounds and their effects on werewolves?

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:
SGrayWolf wrote:The other topic related to music got me thinking...

Any other thoughts?

hmmm.......I heard a few dogs howl when an ambulance go by.

As to music....if he likes a certain type as a human, why not carry it over to the wolf side.

Now where did I see a dancing werewolf in this forum.

:lol:
Oddly enough, My dog does not take any notice to the howling wolves on my nature Music CD when I play it, but anytime she hears a Siren...
:howl:  :oo

I've never been able to figure that out.

As for Music effecting Werewolves, I don't see why it would be any different than the way humans react ot music. Pehaps certain songs would sound very different because of their ability to hear higher tones, but otherwise...
...Implying the "soothing the beast" scenario is assuming that they are usually in a state of madnees in Wolf form. If so, then Yeah...soothing music might help them calm down.
:)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
ShadowWolf
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by ShadowWolf »

I would have to agree with the idea that higher pitched sounds would annoy a werewolf. If you had ears that sensitive, you'd get a little frustrated too if, say, a siren started going off ten feet or so from you. On the other hand, it could make for a potentually funny seen in the movie if some guy in a park is trying to train his dog using a dog whistle and a werewolf is close by.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I imagine it might. The werewolf's hearing would be acute, or at least different, so they might hear higher pitches than humans are capable of and therefore certain sounds might have more affect on them.

As for music, I think that would depend on the individual. It'd be funny if things like the Britney Spears or the Spice Girls were painful to werewolves due to the higher pitches, but for the most part, I think werewolves wouldn't be that affected by it.

As for soothing the savage beast... I think a werewolf would only need to be soothed like that when he's a rookie shifter. But yeah, one of the ways they might be able to settle his instincts could be to check his CD case for a song he likes and play it for him after he's shifted. It won't necessarily soothe his instincts, but it could reinforce some of the human emotions the werewolf associates with the song.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

A werewolf's hearing, in my opinion, would likely be a bit more acute in human form, not drastically so though.

In thier transformed state though, I would guess that there hearing would be a HECK of a lot more similer to a wolf's. Not entirely sure what that'd be like though, I mean, wolves hear noise pitches we couldn't possibly pick up and I don't think anybody has ever made a music file showing what the world would be like through the ears of a cannine.

Though that might be a fun project for somebody to take up.
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SGrayWolf »

I didn't really mean to imply the soothing bit meant that they were necessarily aggressive or "mad" but that perhaps they just had a "bad day" (like we can have) and perhaps some sounds or music might alleviate the frustration/aggrevation/tension they might be having.

Yeah, I tend to over-explain myself sometimes to the point of making it even more confusing. D'oh, hehe. :oops:
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Hmm. As to listening to music, I'd almost suggest that the wolves might not listen to much at all - though they might 'replay' it in their minds, and wait until they're in human form to actually listen in.

The reason I say this is that there is a lot of music out there that isn't filtered beyond the 15 (or 20)k Hertz range and above. Alot of the excess noise and harmonics are probably up there, somewhere. Live music would likely be the most annoying, read below.

Music that might be especially painful is acoustic music (especially violins, and other instruments that sustain harmonics for octaves beyond imagination). As a violinist that had cats, I used to actually put a modification (a temporary one) to subdue the harmonics of the instrument (this is an acoustic violin), to let my cats have some peace as I practice.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SGrayWolf »

Baphnedia wrote:Hmm. As to listening to music, I'd almost suggest that the wolves might not listen to much at all - though they might 'replay' it in their minds, and wait until they're in human form to actually listen in.

The reason I say this is that there is a lot of music out there that isn't filtered beyond the 15 (or 20)k Hertz range and above. Alot of the excess noise and harmonics are probably up there, somewhere. Live music would likely be the most annoying, read below.

Music that might be especially painful is acoustic music (especially violins, and other instruments that sustain harmonics for octaves beyond imagination). As a violinist that had cats, I used to actually put a modification (a temporary one) to subdue the harmonics of the instrument (this is an acoustic violin), to let my cats have some peace as I practice.
I can agree for the most part regarding music. I doubt that most werewolves will find the majority of "music" (what we consider music anyways) too loud, noisy and unpleasing to the ear.

However....

There's still all of the natural sounds in the world that they may enjoy. For example, perhaps there is some natural constant occuring sound (a stream perhaps) nearby their "hideout/dwelling/den" that they associate with, letting them know it is a safe location thereby easing their tensions when they're there. This is just one example that came to mind, I'm sure there's plenty more hehe.

It's kinda fun exploring all of these possibilities and avenues, never know where they may lead. :howl:  :oo
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

I'm glad you said that...

When you mentioned natural sounds, there really is a cacauphony out there to listen to, that shouldn't be overlooked. Constant sounds, or music with a constant, deep beat.

A revelation comes to mind. Dance music. :P

The only thing, is that I don't know (as I haven't read enough yet) to get an idea of the setting, whether while in were-form, they are in an urban setting, or whether they try to go where nature calls when they change. That would have a big impact.

If they can get their favorite 'music' by getting the heck away from humanity, that might just be a little plot-twist to throw in there.

Char1 Why do you run to the forest?
Wolf Because the music's better there.

Anyway, the possibilities are endless...
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SGrayWolf »

Baphnedia wrote:Char1 Why do you run to the forest?
Wolf Because the music's better there.
Ok, that just rocked.
That line should SO be put in the movie, if possible. 8)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

All your bass are belong to us

Post by Scott Gardener »

I understand that wolves tend to favor deep bass sounds. When howling, the one with the lowest pitched howl gets the most respect. Low bass also has a lower frequency--an annyoing, beat-up-looking low rider cruising the neighborhood at two in the morning emits its irritating rachet around 50-100 Hz, close to the lower limit of both human and wolf hearing. The upper limit of human hearing is around 15-20 KHz, and wolves top out somewhere around 75-100 KHz.

Live music need not be hard on wolf ears, though I'm sure some of it is. Heck, some of it's hard on human ears. My wife Cathey complained for days about the volume at a concert by The Cure. The music was great, but it was so loud her ears were hurting.

I've noticed that it's the upper end spectrum sounds that hurt the ear. When listening to music too loud, the part that hurts fades out when I turn down the 10+KHz portion of the graphic equalizer. Dog whistles work with a similar principle, but in the canine ranges.

I'm sure werewolves would be discriminating audiophiles. The geeky ones would be very picky about particular mp3 codecs; the rich ones would insist on high end audio equipment like Bose; and, the older ones would never give up vinyl for anything, because they can hear the individual digital "pixels" on CD.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

And to further your train of thought - any system owned by a ww, would have an easily accessible EQ board. Especially if it's a high tech one that the ranges can be set (I can do this with some of my production software - though I think the uppermost limit that the software pays any mind to is between 20 and 40 kHertz).

Due to the ambient sounds of equipment, I can also understand that ww's might pick their household appliances and tech things with a preference to the noises they make. The only thing that I can find annoying is the constant whining of CRTs (both televisions and computer monitors). I could easily see wws choose plasma or LCD over a Cathode Ray Tube.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

What about computers? The cooling-fan sounds might be a concern, too. Me personally, I actually find the steady droning hum of the fan rather soothing, and even find it helps me sleep.
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I agree with a lot of the points on hertz and pitch, but I don't think the comparrison of a werewolf's ears to a full canine's ears would be that direct. Werewolves are still half human after all, so their hearing wouldn't be exactly like that of a dogs; just somewhere in between.

Though I definitely have to agree that natural sounds would be more pleasing, especially considering humans are especially attracted to certain sounds in nature as well (the breaking of waves at a beach, for example).
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

You know, humans just discovered that elephants uses a very deep low pitch sound for comunication. I think its below the point for even wolves to hear.

Saw this on Animal Planet the other day.
An elephant was stuck in a tire swing. (One leg was caught.) It wasn't making any noise for humans to notice. But other elephants came out of nowhere to investigate.

Wolves can hear higher than what humans can hear. Elephants, allot lower.
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »