What other fictional beings should movies be made about?

The place for anything at all...
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

One of the reasons I love Dragonheart so much.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Hmmm... Well, I can think of a lot of mythical and made-up creatures I'd like to see movies about, but only if they weren't going to be B-slasher flicks and if the creatures in question were actually going to be characters instead of low-level intelligence antagonists.

They are:
Werecats (natch!)
Kitsunes
Tanuki
Griffins / Hippogriffs
Sphinxes (preferrably Forgotten Realms style)

And the only exceptions to the "not so evil" rule:
Drow Elves (Yup. The Drizzt Do'Urden epic would make my day).
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Kitsunes would be a cool subject for a movie 8) Minotaurs and Merpeople as well :)

I want to see websites start popping up like...
Building the Ultimate Griffin
Building the Ultimate dragon
and so on :D We could use some better creature movies :D

I'm really expecting to see a Building the Ultimate Vampire website after Freeborn comes out.
InViSibLe_2_aLL
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by InViSibLe_2_aLL »

has anyone ever watched "Voyage of the Unicorn?" all of the creature's were made quite well, especially the sphinx.. But it wasn't too good of a show/movie..
Clever men might argue whether he had been given the soul of a wolf, though born as a human being. What others chose to think or what he chose to think was no good to him at all. It left the wolf inside him just the same.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Silverclaw wrote: I'm really expecting to see a Building the Ultimate Vampire website after Freeborn comes out.
I could definitely see that happening. But, knowing those vamp freaks, they'll give them an assload of completely unrealistic and illogical powers, of which there is no evidence of in the classic legends of vampires.

(HATES VAMPS AND STRONGLY DISLIKES THE BEHAVIOR OF MANY VAMP FANS)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

There was only one mer-person movie that was any good--the original Splash. (Don't ever watch any sequel that can't spell "Two"!) I can't thinnk of any good centaur movies, though their appearances in the Hercules and Xena series' were pretty neat.

For all our gripes about the werewolf, the hippogryph in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was quite good. Indeed, the overall visual quality of the movie outside of that one thing was fantastic. The three movies were all good, and about the only thing they got wrong as far as I feel would be the werewolf. (Why did it have to be the werewolf!?! Couldn't they have instead made the giant spiders in the second movie look a little fake, and made a good, decent-looking werewolf? Or, is there some sort of Hollywood union regulation against aesthetic lycanthropy?)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

A Gay Black Republican. (you have full rights to punch me in the face if that was offending.)

Hrm....otherwise I don't know much any mythical creatures that would make a good movie.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

The "dragons" in Reign Of Fire were actually wyverns. There is a difference between the two. The wyvern was often known as "the winged serpent" and generally was not a good creature to see.

The Harry Potter hippogriff was cool, but the forelegs just looked WAY too equine in the joints. It was alright until Buckbeak actually bent his legs. Then he just looked weird.

Any type of shapeshifter other than the werewolf would be alright with me. If there's ever a movie about Kitsune though, it had better be good. I love foxes and would hate to see the Kitsune go the way of the Hollywood werewolf. I would have to bite people's legs off at the knee if they did that.

lck :evil:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Scott Gardener wrote:There was only one mer-person movie that was any good--the original Splash. (Don't ever watch any sequel that can't spell "Two"!) I can't thinnk of any good centaur movies, though their appearances in the Hercules and Xena series' were pretty neat.

For all our gripes about the werewolf, the hippogryph in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was quite good. Indeed, the overall visual quality of the movie outside of that one thing was fantastic. The three movies were all good, and about the only thing they got wrong as far as I feel would be the werewolf. (Why did it have to be the werewolf!?! Couldn't they have instead made the giant spiders in the second movie look a little fake, and made a good, decent-looking werewolf? Or, is there some sort of Hollywood union regulation against aesthetic lycanthropy?)

HP had a centaur too. I gotta say, I was pretty disappointed in how they made him. Firenze is clearly described in the book as being beautiful, and plus I think he's blonde. The Firenze in the movie was ugly...very beastly looking...unlike the book description. Plus he looked kinda fake. I think they should have used a real human for the upper body somehow.

Normally I wouldn't really care all that much, but does anyone remember in the fifth (I think?) book when Firenze comes to Hogwarts to teach Divination? And all the girls think he's hot? They're sure as hell gonna have trouble pulling that off with the movie version of Firenze, cause there was nothing hot about that guy.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Reiluna wrote:The "dragons" in Reign Of Fire were actually wyverns. There is a difference between the two. The wyvern was often known as "the winged serpent" and generally was not a good creature to see.
Are you sure? Everything that I have read says they are a species of dragon. There's Draconus Quadripedics and Draconus Bipedicus (I think that's how they're spelled).

On a related note, those things were so cool looking! Especially the big male at the end! The effects in Reign of Fire rivaled those in Dragonheart, IMO. Although I liked Dragonheart better, cause the dragon wasn't a mindlesss beast and plus he could talk.

I'm really looking forward to the dragons in HP 4! Hopefully, they will do as good a job with these dragons as they did with Buckbeak, and not repeat their Lupin mistake!
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

If you want to see killer merrow, see the new Peter Pan movie. It's very close to the original book and in the story, faeries are beautiful, surprisingly fragile, and, very occasionally, they can be <u>bad-asses</u>!

Quote:
Wendy: "I always thought mermaids were sweet!"
Peter: "Heh. They'll sweetly drown you!" :evil:
ImageImageImageImage
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Excelsia wrote:
Reiluna wrote:The "dragons" in Reign Of Fire were actually wyverns. There is a difference between the two. The wyvern was often known as "the winged serpent" and generally was not a good creature to see.
Are you sure? Everything that I have read says they are a species of dragon. There's Draconus Quadripedics and Draconus Bipedicus (I think that's how they're spelled).
The wyvern. From Animal Magick by D.J. Conway.
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Even though the visual effects in Reign of Fire were really good, I think the movie was pretty boring with plotholes you could fly a dragon through :P
hydrocarbon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Random passerby

Post by hydrocarbon »

Oooh, a Roc (giant eagle of African legend). They eat elephants for breakfast :D
"Weresharks? You idiot, there's no such thing as wereshaAAAGH OHGODMYLEG!"