Wierd Phobias

The place for anything at all...
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

I don't like calling people on the phone either. I have no clue why, but I don't like it. I'm afraid of deep water and I avoid looking into mirrors when it's dark (freaks me out too Merrypaws). Sometimes, I hate walking into dark spaces just because I don't know what's there. My bedroom window cannot be open when it's dark unless the curtain is covering it. If I hear something that freaks me out, the window must be shut and the light must be on for me to do so. For some reason, I think something's gonna come through my window and get me. What really sucked was when my friends and I watch Freddy vs Jason and had 2 Starbucks doubleshots afterward. I was paranoid the whole night thinking Jason was going to come through my window :lol:

Sometimes I get scared of weird things, like star formations. When I was little, I was home alone and looking out the front window. There were three stars in a little triangle. I just sat there and stared at it and felt terrified. I couldn't find the constellation in my dad's book and I haven't seen it since, but then again I've never bothered looking for it.

As much as I love hauntings and crytozoology, they scare me a lot at night. Thinking that some strange creature is out there and no one knows a lot about it.... And then ghosts harrassing me at night is a scary thought. Some strange things have happened to me, but not like beds shaking and that sort of thing. That's what scares me. Yeah, I'm a scaredy-cat I suppose :lol:
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

It's interesting how most phobia's seem to stem from either traumatic events or "unknowns."

Like, calling people on the telephone, you don't really know who exactly you're going to get in most cases. Or dark areas like the deep areas of the lake, a badly lit staircase, or the outside of the window during the night. Logically people know that there's probably nothing there that you would see when there was light, but not being able to confirm that there's nothing there seems to set peoples imaginations off.
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

Oh yeah. Especially those of us with an overactive imagination :wink: It does make me feel better that I'm not the only one that has certain phobias :D
Koshaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Duckinator

Post by Koshaw »

Fear of heights for me and falling heh...

Me loves the telephone though...calling and receiving calls thats why I got free Vonage calling in the USA and Canada ^^ and a cell phone with national USA coverage

:lol: If you want to chat on the phone pm me hehehehehhehee
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i'm afraid of clowns :P
THE GAME

My Armory
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

Hey, I've heard stories about the incubus or succubis. At times when it's really dark, I start imaging whether or not those spirits could come to my house and it scares me silly. And the fact that at night I can feel things crawling or pressing down on the blanket really doesn't help either.
Boo
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i get like that when i don't take my meds :)
THE GAME

My Armory
Wynd
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wynd »

Ticks. :shudder: I do not see the point in them, and anything that bites me, sucks my blood, or bores under my flesh skeeves me out!

Oh, and brown recluse spiders. The whole rotting flesh thing just...BLEGH!

( strangely enough, I'm not afraid of other spiders...just these two nasty members of the arachnid family. )

Oh, and yeah Merry...I'm with ya on the dark mirror thing. I keep expecting a voice to be going 'Red Rum...Red Rum!" Dunno. Creepy.

OK, happier thoughts. Lets see if my journal bunny works!

(EDIT: Fixed bunny-thing -- Vilkacis)
"Sometimes I think I've been bad an' God sent me to Hell."

"This isn't Hell but you can see it from here..."
Wynd
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wynd »

:P *sigh* Guess not
"Sometimes I think I've been bad an' God sent me to Hell."

"This isn't Hell but you can see it from here..."
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

Wynd wrote:Ticks. :shudder: I do not see the point in them, and anything that bites me, sucks my blood, or bores under my flesh skeeves me out!

Oh, and brown recluse spiders. The whole rotting flesh thing just...BLEGH!

( strangely enough, I'm not afraid of other spiders...just these two nasty members of the arachnid family. )
Ticks. Bleh. :P Dun like ticks. And I don't like intestinal parasites either. Heheh... I used to be so glad that the brown recluse spider don't live in Utah. Now I'm getting kinda paranoid because there's been some cases in Utah where people say they've been bitten by the brown recluse. Of course, the Agriculteral department don't believe it so... ya... :P
Boo
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

fear that somehow a duck is watching you

It was a farside cartoon
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Black Shuck »

Wolfhanyou wrote:Hey, I've heard stories about the incubus or succubis. At times when it's really dark, I start imaging whether or not those spirits could come to my house and it scares me silly. And the fact that at night I can feel things crawling or pressing down on the blanket really doesn't help either.
I feel things crawling on me and sitting on my bed constantly and I hate it. I open my eyes to look and there's nothing and I don't feel anything anymore. The other thing that'll freak me out is when I "see" things. I'm not really hallucinating, it's just dark and I'll make shapes out of things I can't see real clearly.

As for mirrors, it's not so much red rum that scares me, but if I saw something in the mirror that wasn't me....
And I'd afraid of all spiders :lol: I'm not sure if there's brown recluses all over Utah, but I'm down south and my dad found one in his office once (that was a few years back though). If it would've been on the grill, he would've torched it :lol:
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

Jason's practicly(SP) my hero! heh heh I thought that movie was funny...

I was 7 or something and I "saw" this giant stick of cerely or was it brocili? any way I really dont like 'em. Wait it was brocili! I don't like brocili...
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

...oh yeah...deep water.

I have no problem with deep water if it is clear....however, if I can't see the bottom and am unsure of how deep it is, or what is underneath it, (weeds?...sticky muck?... sunken logs with sharp, pointy branches?...), I feel very uncomfortable.

Strangely, I mostly worry about my legs/feet touching some sort of rusty metal trash that is sitting on the bottom of a lake, or broken glass. It's like I'm terrified that if I were to sink too far beneath the surface, my legs would get mangled by a shattered, rusty car door with broken windows on the lake bottom.

...fish and creatures I only mildly worry about. I'm okay with small fish nipping at my toes, but if my feet touch the tops of underwater weeds, I freak out for some reason. I'm not entirely sure, but my best guess is that I'm afraid of getting snagged on them and held under the surface.

Lastly...if I am wearing swim goggles and can see under water, (even in murky water), most or all of my fears dissapear. ...and yet, to this day, I do not own my own pair. I don't know why.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to be afraid of bees and hornets. The weird thing is, my fear dissapeared AFTER having a traumatic experience.

I was playing softball with my father behind my grandmothers cabin and had to walk into some tall grass to get a stray ball. There, I stepped on a Hornets nest and was immediately swarmed. I ran screaming like a banshee, with tears streaming down my face as they flew up my shirt and shorts, stinging me all over. Once my fater helped me out of my shirt an pants, and shooed the hornets off of me, I was rushed inside (wearing nothing but my underwear).

At least 13 stings in all ( and many more partial stings where they were swatted off). I have a very humerous picture of my self sitting on a chair with white spots of medicated cream all over my body where I was stung. Funny thing is, I'm SMILING in that picture. Once I got over the initial shock of the event, I realized, despite the pain I was in, it really wasn't that bad.

Since then, I have little fear of Bees because, if I can get stung over thirteen times at once and smile, one tiny little sting is insignificant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mirrors in the dark creep me out too.

No claustiphobia though...I actually feel MORE comfortable when I am crammed into a tight, confining space. I wonder if there is a tem for that?
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Like with many things, I'm typically unafraid of deep water if I'm with other people.... you know, it's so much easier to just laugh off your fears as your silly imagination when there's somebody else laughing with you.

There are of course exceptions to this. Once whilst on a hiking trip in the rockies, I came upon a lake and being horribly hot, ran up to it with the intention of soaking.... However, when I took a look at the lake, I was TERRIFIED, this lake LITTERALLY dropped off MORE then 30FEET deep within 5 feet of the shore. I mean, you could look down and see fish swimming around, and then a few more fish swimming about 10 feet under them, and then a few more a little further down, but then the light could no longer pierce the crystal clear lake and it went pitch black.

Of course, that's a rational fear, even though I'm highly bouyent and I can swim, people should not swim in a such conditions in such a deep body of water.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

To those of you who feel things crawling on you at night: turn on your light and look. I found a spider in my bed last night. I thought I was just being jumpy but when the light was on there it was. I'm just hoping the damn thing wasn't a recluse, we do have those where I live. I didn't get bitten but still...and that's not the first time I've found a spider in my bed... Damn things. Can't they stay outside where they belong?
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Ah... phobias. Kaebora! Start your engines! Here I go... :x Eh hem.

Acousticaphobia - fear of noise
Amathophobia - fear of dust
Amaxophobia - fear of riding in a car
Anuptaphobia - fear of remaining single
Autophobia - fear of oneself
Blennophobia - fear of slime
Bolshephobia - fear of Bolshevism
Cathisophobia - fear of sitting
Chaetophobia - fear of hair
Cherophobia - fear of gaiety (happiness)
Ecophobia- fear of home

And more to come. Yes I'm getting all of this out of a psycology textbook. I'm taking al of the good ones out in alphabetical order. I'll post a few, you guys discuss the hilarity of these honest-to-god existing phobias... so on and so forth. It makes you think though. Doesn't someone have to HAVE a certain phobia in order for it to exist? Therefore, someone out there is afraid of sitting down.

Lets not forget
Phobophobia - fear of fear itself
I think President Rosevelt had that one.
:lol:
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Fear of oneself? How is that supposed to work?
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

WolvenOne wrote:Fear of oneself? How is that supposed to work?
Maybe the person doesn't like to look at oneself? Like, no mirrors or pictures or anything that could show themselves? Or... a fear that they could do something stupid or harmful out of their own free will?
Boo
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Kaebora wrote:Ah... phobias. Kaebora! Start your engines! Here I go... :x Eh hem.

Acousticaphobia - fear of noise
Amathophobia - fear of dust
Amaxophobia - fear of riding in a car
Anuptaphobia - fear of remaining single
Autophobia - fear of oneself
Blennophobia - fear of slime
Bolshephobia - fear of Bolshevism
Cathisophobia - fear of sitting
Chaetophobia - fear of hair
Cherophobia - fear of gaiety (happiness)
Ecophobia- fear of home

And more to come. Yes I'm getting all of this out of a psycology textbook. I'm taking al of the good ones out in alphabetical order. I'll post a few, you guys discuss the hilarity of these honest-to-god existing phobias... so on and so forth. It makes you think though. Doesn't someone have to HAVE a certain phobia in order for it to exist? Therefore, someone out there is afraid of sitting down.

Lets not forget
Phobophobia - fear of fear itself
I think President Rosevelt had that one.
:lol:

Amathophobia - fear of dust?

Heh...I hate dust. But I never knew one could have a fear of it.
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Speaking of crawling things, when i was up in canada for two weeks, i saw four giant spiders. three of them were about 2.5 inches across including legs. on was in my bed, one was on the floor, and one was in the cabinet. then, down at our dock, there was one that was 3.5 inces wide including the legs and it was sitting on our ladder to get into the lake, so we couldn't use it.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I fear those Cinimon roll cans, those round ones that when you open they 'Pop!'. Apparently so does my brother and I easily found two other people on the internet who also fear that when I mentioned that.

Otherwise I don't like talking on phones etheir, standing under doorways, storms, and my beautiful imagination. All I have to think is 'I wonder if someone could hide there in that darkness', and before I know it I'm spazzing because I beleive someone is out to get me! I also fear that song 'Come on Eilien' or something like that. Then ofcource the clock changing to 6:60, I don't know why but just the night before last night when t was storming I thought the clock had went to 6:60 and I spazzed, then gave it a second glance and saw that somehow it was really 5:55.

I tend to fear alot of things, but one thing that probaly makes me so jumpy is the fact I have very bad hearing.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Dang it! Lost my psycology book. I'll post some more in the morning when I find it. Sheesh.
:roll:
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

Razo wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Online sometimes...

Post by Razo wolf »

I fear those Cinimon roll cans, those round ones that when you open they 'Pop!'.
i left one im my car in a hot day once it exploded and got dough all over my back seat and window >.<

i used to be scared of a path way next to my house which is full of thick 5 - 6 foot tall bushes, i though someone or something would jump out at me. and at times it still gives me spine chills

and thats with the flash ON
Shift_