Offspring Question

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
.Moon.Strider.
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Moon Stridings, Set Tidings

Offspring Question

Post by .Moon.Strider. »

If two werewolves had offspring, that would make the offspring a werewolf, correct? But if a werewolf and a human had offspring..it wouldn't? Or can a human and a werewolf even /have/ offspring? ??
Fur on Fur Fightings..
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I think thats been covered here and there.

Yet we say that lycanthropy as a virus would probaly be sexually transmitted, so ethtier way in the end they're all going to be werewolves.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
.Moon.Strider.
Pack Leader
Pack Leader
Custom Title: Moon Stridings, Set Tidings

Post by .Moon.Strider. »

But would that make the human a werewolf? If they mated with a werewolf? Thanks fo rthe answers. :lol:
Fur on Fur Fightings..
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

either way it comes out as a werewolf because the werewolf gene is more dominate then the human gene
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

i don't think a werewolf and a human producing a child won't be possible. think about it we have about 48 cromisomes(or some where in that niebore hood), and since werewolves can regenerate and shapeshift they need more cromisoms to store more info. when animals reporduce sexualy each parent gives one half of thier genetic material. since werewolves have more we can't fill those exera spots where genetic info is needed. so producing a child with a human mother with a werewolf father can't work. so only way to make a child is to turn the human into a werewolf.
THE GAME

My Armory
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

either way it comes out as a werewolf because the werewolf gene is more dominate then the human gene
From the way we're looking at it lycanthropy would be like a virus, not a gene.
i don't think a werewolf and a human producing a child won't be possible. think about it we have about 48 cromisomes(or some where in that niebore hood), and since werewolves can regenerate and shapeshift they need more cromisoms to store more info. when animals reporduce sexualy each parent gives one half of thier genetic material. since werewolves have more we can't fill those exera spots where genetic info is needed. so producing a child with a human mother with a werewolf father can't work. so only way to make a child is to turn the human into a werewolf.
The way I look at it the virus contains the information of the wolven forms, the human does not gain any more and does not have their eggs or sperm change to carry more genes. That would probaly leave a deformed baby in the end. If the child has two different genes for one thing the dominant will show up. So if dominant wolf genes and human genes show up I'd say you'd have one strange lookin' thing while the other genes wouldn't show up at all. The human keeps their genes, but the virus is the thing that changes the body, the human's genes chnage them back.

As said, if its sexually transmitted the human would become a werewolf, and the baby would get the virus from it's mother.

Though it is beleived children can become immune to viruses in the womb, my mother was exposed to chickenpox while I was still in her and I've been exposed to it many times after being born but never had an outbreak. I don't know if thats true, or if it would go for the werewolf virus.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

i don't see how that would work.
THE GAME

My Armory
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Anubis wrote:

In the real world, it wouldn't work. But in movies, stories, and fantasy land, anything can happen.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Anubis wrote:
It works, in that the infectious agent inserts new genes into the DNA, so that the person (ultimately) turns into a werewolf.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Anubis wrote:
It works, in that the infectious agent inserts new genes into the DNA, so that the person (ultimately) turns into a werewolf.
ah...good way of putting it.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

outwarddoodles wrote:
The way I look at it the virus contains the information of the wolven forms, the human does not gain any more and does not have their eggs or sperm change to carry more genes. That would probaly leave a deformed baby in the end. If the child has two different genes for one thing the dominant will show up. So if dominant wolf genes and human genes show up I'd say you'd have one strange lookin' thing while the other genes wouldn't show up at all. The human keeps their genes, but the virus is the thing that changes the body, the human's genes chnage them back.

As said, if its sexually transmitted the human would become a werewolf, and the baby would get the virus from it's mother.
ok i'm confused i thought that the werewolf has two diferent ways to reporduce one is to reporeduce sexualy. two is to infect humans with a virus so there DNA can be changed to become a werewolf. are we talking about the same thing? ??
THE GAME

My Armory
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

ok i'm confused i thought that the werewolf has two diferent ways to reporduce one is to reporeduce sexualy. two is to infect humans with a virus so there DNA can be changed to become a werewolf. are we talking about the same thing?
Infecting someone isn't much of reproducing, well I sappose it is. Yet reproducing would be making a whole new being, while biting someone doesn't make a new being, it just gives the the werewolf virus.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

The lycanthropy is reproducing, even if the lycanthrope isn't, per se.

Biological niches are funny that way.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

outwarddoodles wrote: Though it is beleived children can become immune to viruses in the womb, my mother was exposed to chickenpox while I was still in her and I've been exposed to it many times after being born but never had an outbreak. I don't know if thats true, or if it would go for the werewolf virus.
Gah, that would be awful. Imagine being the daughter of two gung-ho werewolves, and they expect so much from you, and then, uh-oh, you can't TF. Man that would suck.
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Excelsia wrote:
outwarddoodles wrote: Though it is beleived children can become immune to viruses in the womb, my mother was exposed to chickenpox while I was still in her and I've been exposed to it many times after being born but never had an outbreak. I don't know if thats true, or if it would go for the werewolf virus.
Gah, that would be awful. Imagine being the daughter of two gung-ho werewolves, and they expect so much from you, and then, uh-oh, you can't TF. Man that would suck.
Yes, it would. :D Though I really don't know if that would happen. I don't know if that is true, and if it is Chicken Pox may be different from Lycanthropy. Plus the mother isn't immune to the lycanthropy virus, so the baby probaly wouldn't etheir.

Scott, your smart and went to Medical school I beleive, is it true that babies can become imune to viruses in the womb?
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

the werewolf virus is ment to rewrite DNA. and if two werewolves had a kid would the kid be a werewolf from getting the lyanthropy genenome from the parents. and only reason the ww virus exist to change humans into werewolves by changing the human's genetics.

and werewolves are werewolves due to a virus that changes human DNA and cause growth of fur and stuff with a window of 1-5 minutes and change back again. seems well, unrealistic. and i bet animal cells won't be able to handle it with out killing the cell.
THE GAME

My Armory
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Breast-feeding your litter

Post by Scott Gardener »

Infant immunity:

Not really. In fact, that's when they're most vulnerable, because their immune system is still forming. Neonates have an immune system, but a weak one, and one that's still being "programmed" by the thymus gland. They rely on antibodies in breast milk--that's one reason why breast-fed children are healthier.

A number of diseases are notorious for spread from mother to child, including rubella and measles.

In my own storyline, if a human mates with a werewolf and has a child, the end result is a child with lycanthropy and two parents with lycanthropy.

And yes, it's in breast milk, too.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

In my opinion, since a person who has caught the virus has had their DNA modified to allow shifting, I think it would have to pass on no matter what. Now it wont always be a dominant trait, so a werewolf isn't guaranteed per se, but they should be able to be bitten (by the parents or whomever) if they can't initially transform from birth. That would solve that prob.

By the way, Scott, doesn't the fetus have some sort of "filter" between it and the mother to block some harmful chemicals and diseases? I remember hearing about something like that in EMS class... ??
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Anubis wrote:the werewolf virus is ment to rewrite DNA. and if two werewolves had a kid would the kid be a werewolf from getting the lyanthropy genenome from the parents. and only reason the ww virus exist to change humans into werewolves by changing the human's genetics.
Temporary change of genetics. Truly I don't think it has animal DNA at all, but just takeing a shape of a wolf by the genes changing for certains parts of the body to be longer or shorter or just grow fuzzier, which means they would be similar to a wolf's.

A baby given both wolf genes and humans genes would be deformed. The wolf genes that are dominant would show up, and the human genes that are dominate would show too. The baby would be part wolf part human, and because genetic information does not change the baby would stay like that. The virus may change the baby into more wolf, part wolf part human genetics would be the base of the baby, and would change back to that every time. Which is why the baby would have human genetics, and the egg and sperm having human genetics. The baby would then get the lycanthropy virus, in which that is the thing that contains the wolven form.

Now to go off track of what you said and posibly this topic: I'm getting confused. If the virus changes the body by changing the genetics, inwhich the genetics tell the body what to be like, much like gene therapy, then wheres the person's human form? I think the body would change it's self back after the virus has deid down a bit, yet the gentics were just changed, which means the body won't have the blue prints to change back. So I'm guessing lycanthropy wouldn't be like gene therapy and not be genetic?

Now I'm thinking the virus goes strait to the body and changes the form of the body its self like your genes would, but not the DNA, so when the virus dies down the bodie's gene's will go 'Hey, thats all wrong, we need to fix the body' and thus shift back to how the genes say it should go, or atleast the human's genes would somehow become dominate again. So once again going with having a form of a wolf, but not actually being one.

Or the virus would be like a whole nother set of genes that temporarily takes over the body to change it the way it says so, but then the human genes later change it back to how it is sapposed to be after somehow the virus's genes becomes recessive again. Which means they would still have human genetics.

Me are Confused. :D
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

that wouldn't work like i said the body won't be able to take a such strain.

the werewolf evolved from the wolf. they are a their own speices and not a between of wolf and human (which is physicaly impossible) and they are NOT A VIRUS!!!. so when WW and WW mate and produce a pup. it would look like thier parents, and not deformed!

the ww cell carries "blue prints" of all three forms human, gestalt, and wolf. by a conchis desition to "shift" the werewolf makes a hormone to tell the cells in the body what form to take. then the body grows fur, bone, and other stuff for the TF. and reason that they can take it because millions of years of evolution, and thier natural regenerating abilites and speed healing.
THE GAME

My Armory
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

Then we're both talking about two different things. I wouldn't beleive lycanthropy would be exactly a virus but something like it. And mentioning on your idea is the fact that we have one set of DNA, when it's changed it's changed. I think atleast if the werewolf carried all the genes for each form but they are constantly changing from recessive to dominate for each form. I couldn't tell how thats coordinated though.

Apparently I asn't too found of your post. Both our ideas of werewolves are not true, for they don't exsist and they base off our personal preference. You can't say what lycanthropy is or isn't.

And I already explained twice why the baby would be deformed (or posibly just dead.).

Though I'm quite interested in how a concious thought of shifting makes a hormone in which then starts the shifting.
:D
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Anubis wrote:that wouldn't work like i said the body won't be able to take a such strain.

the werewolf evolved from the wolf. they are a their own speices and not a between for wolf and human and they are NOT A VIRUS!!!. so when WW and WW mate and produce a pup. it would look like thier parents, and not deformed!
If you do it that way, then there is no infection by bite. You're either born a werewolf, or you're not.
and reason that they can take it because millions of years of evolution, and thier natural regenerating abilites and speed healing.
Humans haven't been around that long
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

Lupin wrote:
Anubis wrote:that wouldn't work like i said the body won't be able to take a such strain.

the werewolf evolved from the wolf. they are a their own speices and not a between for wolf and human and they are NOT A VIRUS!!!. so when WW and WW mate and produce a pup. it would look like thier parents, and not deformed!
If you do it that way, then there is no infection by bite. You're either born a werewolf, or you're not.
and reason that they can take it because millions of years of evolution, and thier natural regenerating abilites and speed healing.
Humans haven't been around that long
but i did say that turning humans into a werewolves was another form of reporducing. and i wasn't talking about humans.

and outwarddoodles you were pushing your ideas on me as bad i did to you. and i agree since they don't exist thier is no way to tell whos right and whos wrong, but my idea sounded more realistic to me. probilly you thought of the same of your idea.
THE GAME

My Armory
outwarddoodles

Post by outwarddoodles »

and outwarddoodles you were pushing your ideas on me as bad i did to you. and i agree since they don't exist thier is no way to tell whos right and whos wrong, but my idea sounded more realistic to me. probilly you thought of the same of your idea.
Oh, I'm sorry for that then.
:oops:
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Anubis wrote:i don't think a werewolf and a human producing a child won't be possible. think about it we have about 48 cromisomes(or some where in that niebore hood),
Sorry to bust your bubble, but it took me awhile to figure out what the heck you were saying.

Anyway, humans have 46 CHROMOSOMES. . .just because a being is less complex(Say a dog), doesn't mean they have less chromosomes. .take a gander
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultran ... omeNumbers

Chickens & Dogs have more chromosomes than we do, as does a plant

Ack, sorry guys, but it gets on my nerves when people can't use simple spell check . . .the english minor in me coming out I guess.
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?