Hurricane!

The place for anything at all...
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Ah, Venice. The city sinking into the sea. A modern day Atlantis in it's own way.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

By the way, Venice *is* going away. They expect it to be completely submerged in about 30 years.
ImageImageImageImage
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Well if they wanted to live where a hurricane could easily kill them then that's their problem. No one made them buy a house in New Orleans.
What about children? They can't just decide to leave their parents and go.

There's also the poor disabled. Unfortunately, a lot of people on disability are also in poverty. Overlooking those who are abusing the system, there's still an enormous number of people with legitimate impairment. By disabled, we'll include the frail elderly, which bumps up the numbers considerably.

I've also learned from life experiences that you can't always live where you want. If I could, I wouldn't be down here by the coast, either, for essentially the same reason--that could have been me. But, I've bent over backwards trying to get back to Fort Worth, and got nothing. Down here, I've got jobs coming out my ears, and my main problem for the moment is having to work too much. Trust me, I'll move as soon as it's practical, but I can't do it today. (But, I can evacuate.)

There's also physical problem of getting out. As soon as it became clear that New Orleans was a target, there was only two to three days to get out. That may seem like a lot of time, but when you factor in getting rations and provisions while there's a rush at every store, getting out on the road while traffic is at a stand-still, and for flying travellers the cancellation of all flights, you can soon see why some were forced to hunker down. Getting out on foot would take too long, especially when the hurricane path could change, and you could be walking into the danger zone.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Getting out on foot would take too long, especially when the hurricane path could change, and you could be walking into the danger zone.
So is it better to wait the storm out, where so much of the city is submerged they had to hack through rooftops to rescue people? I'd rather attempt to swim than be stuck in a flooding house with no way out and water getting higher each minute.

I saw the news reports. 80% of New Orleans is underwater. People were standing on their roofs because of it rising so high. Anyone without a two story house had to brave the waters. Those with a two story house were stuck on the roof. There was that much water.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

I was going to move there a few years ago. I decided on Eugene for different reasons. They've actually been warning people about the approach of the storm for several days.

I was thinking, what would I have done if I lived there now? Most likely lit out as soon as I heard the numbers from the Florida hit and the word that it was pointing in the direction of New Orleans. Cat, laptop, keepsakes, survival gear into the car, horse, feed and tack into the trailer, roadtrip time, we're heading for Austin to visit friends and relatives. I'd have probably canvassed my neighbours and friends to see if anyone wanted to come with me before taking off.

Dis wolf don' need mandatory evacuation orders to know when it's time to blow dis popsicle stand.
ImageImageImageImage
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

It can be hard. Gawd knows when mom and I tried to leave Georgia, it was a nightmare. The truck broke down TWICE, we had no money, had to run all over on a dying engine...and that was just to move out. We were almost stranded. It's disturbing how good Murphy can interfere and make your life miserable. Like in Mississippi, a lot of people never suspected that Katrina would turn...but she did. Now we must mourn that loss of life, not mock the individuals who tried to stay. They can't have grasped it. Nobody could. It's a sad thing...very, very sad.
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

I just read on Google News:

<b>New Orleans is dead.</b>

They're calling for a total evacuation of all survivors, which means everyone gets scooped up and shipped out whether they like it or not. They called off the search for victims, they're turning off the power and abandoning the city. The lights won't go back on for months, they say.

That leaves a flooded city and hundreds, possibly thousands of drowned bodies.

Jefferson Parish is abandoned and it's 100% structural casualties. The Parish will be razed and rebuilt from the ground up. The head guy there said "Jefferson Parish as we know it does not exist anymore."

I stayed with friends in Jefferson Parish. It boggles me to think that those houses are GONE. My friend and tattoo artist lived next to a canal in Metarie and we shot cardboard boxes to pieces with his guns on the levee while I was there. Target practice, New Orleans style!

I'm still in awe. This hurricane <i><b>killed</i></b> two cities — counties, essentially. I can't remember anything actually killing a city, aside from Sherman's march to the sea during the Civil War. Not even 9/11 stopped New York.

:cry:
ImageImageImageImage
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!

Post by Trinity »

Hey all.

Just got the most recent reports. New Orleans may not fully recover after all. Many months worth of draing out teh city, infested fresh water tables, gasoline in teh water from flooded gas stations ( if they weren't properly sealed ).

Looters too stealing stuf and taking it.., where? Most of teh city itself is underwater. Some places near the river are still above water.., but have been put on alert for possible flooding as teh levis have either busted, are are holding back the water like bathtub walls.

Holy mother of all.., this is sad.

We may actually see our very first ( in this Generation ) Ghost Town occur. Many of the reports ar ecallin git a "City Killer" hurricane. Esitmates of the dmages and clean up needed are in the millions, and possibly cost more then the clean up for teh 911 tradgey!

I really hope not. New Orleans is a Hostoric city and one of our most notable "Gems" in teh US. Like NY, LA, Dover Raceways in DE, Nebraska's cornfields, adn Kentucky's Triple Crown, New Orleans is a well known fixture of teh US as a whole.

Several people in the different communities I watch are doing what they can to help out. Dog-clubs are trying to collect stuff, clothes, funiture, food supplies.., others are organiziting blood drives, and donation collection for the red cross.

I haven't YET heard what our National govenrment is going to do yet.., but I know that some few handfuls of folks in this Country are already banding together.

I feel for those who have lost family and friends. I have family there as well.., and know nothing of what happened to them. -.-

blessings and peace to all.

wow.., I'm still in shock. o.o
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

I'm playing with the idea of contacting Burning Man and offering crash space for any New Orleans camps that are stranded. Then again they've probably all been inundated by offers of everything in general.

Gods, this is freaking me. I've been going to the Burn for seven years and I always drove out to the Playa knowing my home would be there when I got back. All these guys have is their camp gear, art, vehicles and costumes! Imagine being suddenly...nomadized.
ImageImageImageImage
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

When the levee breaks, have no place to stay

Post by Scott Gardener »

Agreed. I understand that the French Quarter was only mildly damaged compared to the rest of the city. Perhaps some day it can be restored. Whatever happens, however, New Orleans will not be the same. I suspect they'll eventually build new levees and then rebuild, restoring larger and less damaged structures. The Superdome right now is a nightmare, but maybe in a year or two, it could be realistic to think about reopening it.

At some future day, maybe we'll be able to visit some future New Orleans and hear from the people who are today sick, starved, and wandering, about how they survived the catastrophe back in 2005, and how New Orleans changed.

Maybe it's a bit too early to talk about hope and rebuilding, but thinking about it pulls you out for a few moments of the horrors of the present state of affairs, and that is how humanity as a whole got through a lot.

Granted, right now, priorities should be in the rescue efforts and making sure people have the basics--food, water, and a place to stay. We'll work out the details on rebuilding later. I know you can't talk with a patient about physical therapy while you're still taking them to the trauma OR for emergency surgery.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

http://www.nola.com/cgi-bin/prxy/photog ... 703/07.jpg

when I first saw that picture I thought the hurricane put the dolphine there, but it was acully saved from its original area because it was found out of its tank
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Well, I just found out that one of the one of the towns near my family's town has been partially leveled. It will never be the same again. Another nearby town has trees in all the streets. It's a jungle. And yet another town is currrently plagued with riots. My parents didn't evacuate. Forecasts before the hurricane led them to believe their area would be safe. They bought food, and gas for the generator, and hoped to ride it out.

I haven't talked to them since before the hurricane hit. All phone lines dead, and cell phone service down too.

I can't go down there, supposedly roads are blocked and it's dangerous, but Lord knows I'd love too.

To all those of you who ridiculed people for choosing to live there....I hope you can still say that one day when disaster strikes close to your heart.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

To all those of you who ridiculed people for choosing to live there....I hope you can still say that one day when disaster strikes close to your heart.
I'm guessing that was directed at me. You, however, have made the mistake of assuming I have a heart. I at least know better than to live in a place where it would be just asking for trouble. New Orleans was basically a big target for a hurricane with a sign that said "Come and get me!" on it.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Reilune wrote:
I'm guessing that was directed at me. You, however, have made the mistake of assuming I have a heart. I at least know better than to live in a place where it would be just asking for trouble. New Orleans was basically a big target for a hurricane with a sign that said "Come and get me!" on it.

Well, we weren't in New Orleans. We were north of it, in an area that had never suffered significant hurricane damage in recent memory. Sorry if that comment was hurtful. I'm sure it was. I hope that you will forgive me. I haven't exactly been very rational recently. Believing that your family might be dead will do that to you. So I am very sorry to you for that comment, and for other comments in other threads that I might have said that would have offended you. I am sorry you and I never got off to the right start, I hope we can put that behind us.

On a dismally lighter note, I got a call a few minutes ago from my brother. We've had news of our parents. They are alive, and as far as we know, so is the rest of our family.

However, the damage is unbelievable. Part of our house blew away, and our roof is really messed up. All our trees fell down. Also, all of our barns and sheds are gone. As far as the chihuahuas and catahoulas go...well, for some idiotic reason my parents decided not to bring them inside. I guess they didn't know how bad the damage would be. They saw dogs flying past the window....guess we're not dog breeders anymore. Hopefully some of them survived, I'm not really sure yet. It's really weird, I'm so unbelievably happy my parents are ok, but at the same time, what the hell were they thinking?

Oh well...at least my parents are ok. We can always buy more dogs...but those little guys shouldn't have had to die that way.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Reilune wrote:I'm guessing that was directed at me. You, however, have made the mistake of assuming I have a heart. I at least know better than to live in a place where it would be just asking for trouble.
There isn't a place on Earth where there's no chance of a natural disaster happening.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Excelsia: It's alright, don't worry about it. I'm just a little snippy right now because I have a headache and have been arguing about this hurricane with some other people. Let's forget about all that and start over. Hi, I'm Reilune. Nice ta meetcha.

Too bad about your dogs though. I'd feel sorry for a big dog in that, a little chihuahua would have one heck of a time if they did live.
Lupin wrote:There isn't a place on Earth where there's no chance of a natural disaster happening.
True. But some places are much worse to be in than others. New Orleans, which is below sea level, surrounded by water on three sides, and built on top of a marsh was one of them. Whoever founded the city basically did the equivalent of smearing themselves in blood and harassing a bunch of hungry lions. There are some things you just shouldn't do.
Ghostwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ghostwolf »

vrikasatma wrote:
I'm still in awe. This hurricane <i><b>killed</i></b> two cities — counties, essentially. I can't remember anything actually killing a city, aside from Sherman's march to the sea during the Civil War. Not even 9/11 stopped New York.

:cry:
Well if i remenber right Hirochima was destroyed (i dont know if it as been reconstructed) and Chernoby are is dead or is in agonie for the next 150 years.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

you mean Chernobyl and Hiroshima, Heroshima has and Chernobyl nobody can go near.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Egad! I don't know what happened to me here. I for some dumb reason didn't care, but I guess I just didn't know it was that bad. After reading some posts here my breathing started to quicken and I felt sick, posibly after reading this:
They're calling for a total evacuation of all survivors, which means everyone gets scooped up and shipped out whether they like it or not. They called off the search for victims, they're turning off the power and abandoning the city. The lights won't go back on for months, they say.

That leaves a flooded city and hundreds, possibly thousands of drowned bodies.
Dead bodies, thats what struck me and made me feel like I was starting to panic. Then the fact that this city is praticly dead, thats just sad, and just weird being the fact that having such a big city deserted and 'dead' from this. Weird, weird, and sick, poor drowned people, what a horible way to die. Poor poor people!

I'm sorry people, I'm sorry people deid, a city ruined, and others in such a horible condition. I'm sorry for the bad state. I didn't do anything, but my heart still goes out to all of you.
:mourn:

*Sigh* Yet another good reason I love Ohio.

:mourn:
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

I think a little advice from Master Yoda is in order. You must learn to let go. Do not feel sad for those that have returned to the Force.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

yeah I saw at the news, the company that was suppose to drain the water out didnt have electricity, werent they suppose to have a back up generator. Idiots.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

The immediate efforts are getting transport to the people at the Superdome. There are 20,000 people there or nearby. As I watched the news a convoy of ONLY 20 buses that can carry, what? 60 people each? We need AT LEAST 500 in there, ASAP. They're out of food and clean water. The leadership in that town has already gone on record as saying they're overwhelmed.

The rioters and looters (heh...Insurgents? /snark) are making the evacuation difficult. There are snipers everywhere, taking potshots at everything, basically. They're shooting at the goddam hospital. Why?! :pissedoff:

The Louisiana National Guard is getting ready to come home from Iraq — but the key word there is "whenever they're called up." My question is, why the hell are they in Iraq to begin with? It's the NATIONAL GUARD. This is exactly the reason they exist and they're mucking about in the desert. Bet if they were there, the snipers would be out of business and New Orleans wouldn't be in a Lord of the Flies situation like they are now.

Bush says he still isn't going to pull troops home from Iraq for this. Which country is he running, anyway? Who voted him in, the South or Iraq? Bottom line: Home turf trumps everything. We're no good to anyone if we're flattened. The Gulf Coast is getting stiffed if you ask me. Pennies from Heaven! :pissedoff: :pissedoff:...

Aw, to hell with it...

:supermad:
ImageImageImageImage
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

you wouldnt believe how stupid George Bush is, But also I cant believe how stupid this country is and all the people that voted for him over Kerry.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

vrikasatma wrote:Bush says he still isn't going to pull troops home from Iraq for this. Which country is he running, anyway? Who voted him in, the South or Iraq? Bottom line: Home turf trumps everything. We're no good to anyone if we're flattened. The Gulf Coast is getting stiffed if you ask me. Pennies from Heaven! :pissedoff: :pissedoff:...
Military troops couldn't do much. Sending in military troops to deal with a civilian problem is prohibited by the Posse Comitatus Act. To waive this would take an Act of Congress.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary

Post by vrikasatma »

Congress are convening as we speak. Congresspersons are coming back early, for this exact reason. They're about to okay $10 billion to FEMA for the express reason of Hurricane Katrina relief. It would only take Bush to put the entire area under federal jurisdiction and impose martial law. Disobedience/sniping/looting = Redshirt Designation. Does that sound scary? Yes, and 20,000 corpses, some partially cannibalized, sounds even worse.

The transports aren't getting in because they're being shot at. I saw a convoy of 20 buses heading for the Superdome this afternoon and each bus can hold, what? Maybe 60 people? They have 9,000 waiting there now. We need AT LEAST 500 buses. What if there was a military escort with each convoy? Visualize a cordon of National Guardsmen securing a block-radius perimeter around the hospital, opening a can of "shut the hell up" on the snipers that have been taking potshots at the hospital today.

They're airlifting food and water to them tonight. It's not rocket science to know what that's going to end up as. Priority One: Get The People OUT. There's plenty of food and water in Texas.

The air itself will be death to breathe with the rotting corpses in about two days. Time is of the essence.
ImageImageImageImage