Dead Babies

The place for anything at all...
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:Yes, they are the same height. But not when you look at them in a certain angle.
But even then you have several other bars in the picture telling you it's a signal strenth meter, and not a representation of buildings.

That's because it's subliminal. It has been deliberately hidden in the image, so it wouldn't be seen. Most people only look at billboards for a second or two, so they wouldn't notice the resemblance with their conscious mind.

Your subconscious mind, however, will easily notice the resemblance (nothing gets past the subconscious). A red flag goes up in your subconscious mind, saying, "Hey! That's the twin towers!", and thus you remember the brand. Advertisers have been using this trick for ages. The twin towers are a good image to choose because it's a powerful image, one that many Americans feel strongly about.

Other commonly used images are those of dead bodies, skulls, and the female body. The coke machine at my high school had the following subliminal images, hidden in the ice on the front of the machine:
-a guy doing a cannonball
-a naked woman lying sideways on top of the can
-a naked girl with massive boobs, but no arms or legs

They also frequently hide words in images. Commonly use are: sex, die, f***, etc.

They usually choose things that most people would find offensive, or would object to, in order to get you to remember their brand. They also sometimes use images that have something wrong with them, to set off a red flag in your mind. Adding extra limbs or placing shadows wrong is something they do fairly often.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

I have to agree with Lupin.

I don't see much in this ad to suggest 'Twin Towers' at all. It seems rather innocent to me. To say that it is intended to represent the Towers when you really have no idea what was going through the Cingular corporate mind (or even just the mind of the ad-designer) seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Ads like this that depict objects extending outside of or 'breaking' boundaries are rather common. Also, Cingular would have had a difficult time displaying those bars in an easily visible manner without extending past the boundaries of the board. If the bars were contained entirely within the ad, they would have been stunted, thin, and small. These ads are meant to be seen well from a distance.

It is also very common for static advertisements attempt to appear dynamic and flying chunks of the boundary is one way to do that. Those pieces look like flames, you say? Well, that is a limitation of the medium. The pieces had to be close to the bars and the billboard or they would be too weak and break off. That's what I see. And that particular shade of orange is almost like a trademark to them.

As for subliminal messages, I don't buy that. I don't see anything to suggest the Towers. At all. My mind does not equate the two, consciously or subconciously. Furthermore, non-subliminal messaging is much more effective. I recognize Cingular more because of that little orange man-blob than any other reason. 'Shocking' subliminal messages aren't going to make me remember them any more or less.

The way I see it, any possible resemblance to the Towers is much more likely due to coincidence than intent. Frankly, we don't know what was going through their mind when they made this. So, if you ask me, to put words in their mouth and say that they were trying to do this or that outrageous thing says more about you than it does about them.

-- Vilkacis
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Vilkacis wrote: As for subliminal messages, I don't buy that. I don't see anything to suggest the Towers. At all. My mind does not equate the two, consciously or subconciously. Furthermore, non-subliminal messaging is much more effective. I recognize Cingular more because of that little orange man-blob than any other reason. 'Shocking' subliminal messages aren't going to make me remember them any more or less.

The way I see it, any possible resemblance to the Towers is much more likely due to coincidence than intent. Frankly, we don't know what was going through their mind when they made this. So, if you ask me, to put words in their mouth and say that they were trying to do this or that outrageous thing says more about you than it does about them.

-- Vilkacis

From closer up, it is apparent that it is in fact, not smoke puffs, but merely a breaking of the boundary, as you said. However, lots and lots of people thinking it is the Twin Towers definitely means something. Also, in the picture that Figarou posted, the resemblance to smoke puffs was definitely evident.

As far as your subconscious mind goes...well, the word subconscious says it all. It is beneath your consciousness, therefore you have no idea what's going on there. For all we know, our subconscious mind could be making associations that we aren't even aware of.

I am not trying to say that that picture is intended to represent the Twin Towers. I'm just saying that, to me, there is definitely a resemblance. Cingular may or may not have intended this.

Cingular aside, subliminal messaging happens all the time. We can try to ignore it, or pass it off as coincidence, but it happens far too often to be coincidence all the time.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

why stop making dead baby jokes? So now you feel bad because something happened in lousiana, what about the sunami a while back, some of those people probably had a computer and go to forums and comes back on the web. Did you feel so bad about them as you did about katrina. Alot of people dont feel bad about thing that happen on other countries, they only feel bad if something happens on thier land or thier allies, the thing is worst case scenario happens, why let it affect our lives so much, you should look at it this way. s*** happens....but life must go on. I think he should go on. as for the cinger wireless um I think people are too harsh and stupid on something like that even if thier love ones did die.

EDIT: And what about the yo mama joke, what if someone that lost thier mom in katrina or another way and see you guys playing your mama jokes and just dont like it cause he loves his mom so much that he doesnt want anyone making fun of moms period...what then.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

That's more or less how I feel as well, Shadow Wulf. Unfortunately, it seems too many people feel differently.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

freedom of speech, part of the admendmant ...... lets not break that..
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

How do you know when a baby is a dead baby?
The dog plays with it more.
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Excelsia wrote:That's because it's subliminal. It has been deliberately hidden in the image, so it wouldn't be seen. Most people only look at billboards for a second or two, so they wouldn't notice the resemblance with their conscious mind.
I think youre reading too much into it. I've seen that ad before in person and didn't ever think about it until I saw that article.
Your subconscious mind, however, will easily notice the resemblance (nothing gets past the subconscious). A red flag goes up in your subconscious mind, saying, "Hey! That's the twin towers!", and thus you remember the brand. Advertisers have been using this trick for ages. The twin towers are a good image to choose because it's a powerful image, one that many Americans feel strongly about.
No, they've done studies on the feasibility of subliminal advertising: It doesn't work. It doesn't get your attention. Adverising is all about 'presence'. They want your attention NOW so you rembember their product. That's why commercials are so annoying, they grab your attention so that when you go to the store later you remmber the product, and it stands out from all of the competing products.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Lupin wrote:
Excelsia wrote:That's because it's subliminal. It has been deliberately hidden in the image, so it wouldn't be seen. Most people only look at billboards for a second or two, so they wouldn't notice the resemblance with their conscious mind.
I think youre reading too much into it. I've seen that ad before in person and didn't ever think about it until I saw that article.
I'd like to clarify a point here: I was referring to the subconscious mind. While your conscious mind wouldn't have noticed it or thought about it, your subconscious mind would have (or at least that's what advertisers think). The part of your brain that does the thinking would not have made the association.
Lupin wrote:
Excelsia wrote:Your subconscious mind, however, will easily notice the resemblance (nothing gets past the subconscious). A red flag goes up in your subconscious mind, saying, "Hey! That's the twin towers!", and thus you remember the brand. Advertisers have been using this trick for ages. The twin towers are a good image to choose because it's a powerful image, one that many Americans feel strongly about.
No, they've done studies on the feasibility of subliminal advertising: It doesn't work. It doesn't get your attention. Adverising is all about 'presence'. They want your attention NOW so you rembember their product. That's why commercials are so annoying, they grab your attention so that when you go to the store later you remmber the product, and it stands out from all of the competing products.
I am not sure whether I believe you or not. For me, the jury is still out when it comes to subliminal messaging. I've had a lot of subliminal messaging flayed out in front of me so that I can clearly see what their intentions were, so that's why I'm hesitant to believe that it doesn't work (after all, if it didn't, why would they do it so much?). While it may not work, it most certainly exists.

Anyway, my above quote does adequately reflect the rationale behind subliminal messaging, whether it does or doesn't work.
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

Everyone that pays attention knows Cingular's motto is Raising The Bar. This is just absolutely ridiculous; those don't look like the towers to me. There is such a thing as over-sensitivity, and I think that ad is one such case. Not even Cingular would dare risk losing a ton of customers over an ad that controversial. If I were reminded of the towers, I would NOT want to buy their product. The point is sales, not ticking off the customers. e_e

And on subliminal messaging..that's the whole point of ads. To get you to buy the product. But I doubt they'd try to do it by mocking a tragedy. Seriously..
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

The Cingular "raising the bar" is a coincidence, like the title of the second Lord of the Ring movie; "The Two Towers" was NOT intended to imply the World Trade Center; the original book was written before they were even built. Yet, people complained about the movie title as being insensitive.

Now, a movie entitled "Katrina goes to New Orleans" might be a bit insensitive. And so would a "dead baby" joke at a pro-choice rally. (That's assuming there is such a thing! Why don't we see that many pro-choice protest rallys? Are the pro-lifers just better organized? OK, subject change, before we get into politics.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Bleh........why did I bring up that Cingular ad. :roll:

Excuse me while I chew on some duckies. :duckie
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I LOVE these jokes, they're incredibly sick, but somehow funny, I don't know why though.

Whats better than a dead baby? A Pile of dead babies!
And you know what? Theres a live one at the bottom!
And guess what? He's eating his way out!
What else? He's got Downs syndrome!
And guess what now? He's going back for seconds!

I doubt thats funny across the computer, but when my brother Dale does that with me I just break up laughing!
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Figarou wrote:Actually, this forum is 'necessary.'

How else would ABrownrigg gather the information from werewolf fans?

Also, what proof will ABrownrigg show to the studios?

This forum plays a BIG part in ABrownrigg's project. As a Pack, we play an important part in his film. Thats why we will be thanked in the opening credits.
But to that degree, why does ABrownrigg need to gather information from werewolf fans?

The answer is: He doesn't. He wanted to.

And to the same extent, why does ABrownrigg need to make a movie about werewolves in the first place?

The answer is: He doesn't. He wants to.

And why do we need to contribute to his project?

The answer is: We don't. We want to.

And is it absolutely imperative that "Freeborn" appear on the big screen?
The answer is: No. But we really really reallllllllly want it to. :wink:

So without further delay:

How many dead babies does it take to paint a wall.
One, if you throw it hard enough.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

yeah like Terastas said :roll:
um yes, thats exactly it.
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:
Figarou wrote:Actually, this forum is 'necessary.'

How else would ABrownrigg gather the information from werewolf fans?

Also, what proof will ABrownrigg show to the studios?

This forum plays a BIG part in ABrownrigg's project. As a Pack, we play an important part in his film. Thats why we will be thanked in the opening credits.
But to that degree, why does ABrownrigg need to gather information from werewolf fans?

The answer is: He doesn't. He wanted to.

And to the same extent, why does ABrownrigg need to make a movie about werewolves in the first place?

The answer is: He doesn't. He wants to.

And why do we need to contribute to his project?

The answer is: We don't. We want to.

And is it absolutely imperative that "Freeborn" appear on the big screen?
The answer is: No. But we really really reallllllllly want it to. :wink:

hmmmm....odd way of putting it. But meesa likey!!

:duckiemind:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Black Mesa, Figarou :D
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Black Mesa, Figarou :D

meesa....no mesa....messa messa messa!!
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

stop saying table!!! I just ate!!
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:stop saying table!!! I just ate!!
mesa is table

messa is me

As in Jar Jar talk.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

oooho, ok I thought you were trying top say table. And sorry I dont see star wars film to much.
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:oooho, ok I thought you were trying top say table. And sorry I dont see star wars film to much.
yousa no see star wars? For shame.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Figarou wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:oooho, ok I thought you were trying top say table. And sorry I dont see star wars film to much.
Messa seen star wars messa like star wars messa seen all star wars movies except episode 3. :)

And Fig!! I am your Father!!!................
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Messa seen star wars messa like star wars messa seen all star wars movies except episode 3. :)

And Fig!! I am your Father!!!................

Really?

*jumps off of cliff*