Big or Small Werewolves...?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should WereWolves get BIGGER when they transform?

Yes, much bigger!
16%
Yes, but only a little.
72%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
13%

Total votes: 32

Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Big or Small Werewolves...?

Post by Vuldari »

As you may know, Apokryltaros and I seem to be at a stand-off about whether it is important or not that a WereWolf gets bigger when it transforms from human to wolf form. We have pleaded our cases. Now I would like to know what everyone else thinks.

Should Werewolves get Bigger? How much bigger?
Last edited by Vuldari on Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

I think werewolves should be only slightly bigger than they were when they were human. They will be taller I'm sure because of of the change from plantigrade to digitigrade would add a couple inches. And I think most of us agree that werewolves would be stronger in wolf form than in human form. But when you start bulking up the person so that they've gone from an average size to super weight lifter muscle man size, you start to get a bit unbelieveable and in my mind, somewhat cheesy. Where would all that extra mass come from anyway? Some of us can't agree on where the tails go during the transformations back and forth. More like where are those massive biceps going? Werewolves should gain but not so much that the human and the wolf are two completely seperate bodies altogether.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

I'm not saying I am demanding that werewolves the size of tanker trucks,
I'm not saying I want werewolves the size of SUVs, or even the size of black bears (though while that would be nice, it's besides the point).
I'm saying that I have a fondness for large werewolves, if only because I have had only bad experiences with "normal-sized" werewolves..
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SGrayWolf »

A little bigger seems most plausible, feasible and right, to me in this case. As CrewWolf stated, the digitigrade stance should add a little height but a lot of extra mass seemingly coming out of nowhere is a bit (too much) of a stretch IMHO.

Personally, I like "big" werewolves too but I think making them massive might take away from what this movie is trying to accomplish in the first place. Which is, to get away from the "ferocious monsterish" approach and bring out more of their humanish side. :)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

A good example is the Van Helsing werewolf. I think its the digitigrade legs that made him taller. Just like CrewWolf said.
Darkmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wallcrawler

Post by Darkmoon »

The Van Helsing werewolves were very nice looking, cept' for the lack of tail... but I agree, a little bit of hight is nice as werewolves should be intimidating...

not that they wouldn't be scary without hight...but ya'll know what I mean... :)

logically mass can't just...ummm appear
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Darkmoon wrote: logically mass can't just...ummm appear
Logically, people can't turn into wolves, either.
Darkmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wallcrawler

Post by Darkmoon »

Very good point :lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Anything is possible in hollywood. But in real life, yes, you are correct.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Figarou wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
"Logic" in Hollywood?
Please excuse me whilst I go into the next room and laugh my guts out.
Heheheheheheheheheh...
You silly old wolf, you.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
"Logic" in Hollywood?
Please excuse me whilst I go into the next room and laugh my guts out.
Heheheheheheheheheh...
You silly old wolf, you.
I said "anything" is possible. I didn't say hollywood had "logic."

Old wolf, eh? Does that make me an "elder?"

:D
akujiwolf

Post by akujiwolf »

I have......RETURNED!!! lol. Let's see.... I think there should be some added mass, but not much and they do need to be taller, seeing as how a werewolf should stand digitigrade. I don't think gigantos werewolves are appropriate. Speaking of Van Helsing, I really hated the TF scene as well. It was.......stupid to say the least...
~Request Entertainment Member~ (we get T-Shirts!) Also if there is a problem that you feel needs to be addressed please contact me immediately.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

akujiwolf wrote:Speaking of Van Helsing, I really hated the TF scene as well. It was.......stupid to say the least...
Not much worse than wall climbing. That has got to go!!
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:I'm not saying I am demanding that werewolves the size of tanker trucks,
I'm not saying I want werewolves the size of SUVs, or even the size of black bears (though while that would be nice, it's besides the point).
I'm saying that I have a fondness for large werewolves, if only because I have had only bad experiences with "normal-sized" werewolves..
Likewise...I am not totally strict about the "equivilant mass" rule, and don't wish to see werewolves that look sickly or stretched out. (add just enough extra to make the form look balanced) I just don't like the idea of every human over 5' 6" transforming into 7' , bulging biceps, superwolves.

I think a skinny little guy would turn into a skinny little Werewolf, a Fat guy would turn into a FAT werewolf, and YES...if a 6' 9" Body builder turned into a werewolf then you would have one Gigantic, Powerful Beast. Whatever height is gained should come only from the lengthening of the feet. Otherwise, I think the difference in the bodys size should be no greater than what they could gain by intense body building exercise.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I think if a werewolf were to stand straight up, they would indeed average somewhere around seven feet tall. However, I'm having a hard time picturing a werewolf with perfect posture. They'd be bigger, yes, but the way their legs bend and/or their shoulders align in a more canine manor would bring them back down to six feet. That's not to say that they couldn't stand straight to 6/7 ft. -- just that the werewolf anatomy would make it uncomfortable to do so.
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Height & Posture

Post by RedWolf »

Perhaps the question of height / posture should be tied to foot position. If a werewolf is digitigrade, would it be able to comfortably walk in a bipedal manner? For something as large as a human, aren't plantigrade feet better?

Among carnivores, both bears and wolves fit into the "arctoid" category. Ursine animals are normally much larger than canines, tend to have plantigrade feet, and are able to assume a bipedal posture. Thus, if you want a shapeshifter larger than a human that walks upright with ease, you'd want a werebear instead of a werewolf.
ShadowWolf
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by ShadowWolf »

I think they should definatly be a little taller. They're more intimidating if they stand taller then the other guy. I'm not saying they all have to be nine feet tall or anything, but I think it would loose something if the guy was six feet tall, and the werewolf was five foot nothing.
ChaosWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ChaosWolf »

ShadowWolf wrote:I think they should definatly be a little taller. They're more intimidating if they stand taller then the other guy. I'm not saying they all have to be nine feet tall or anything, but I think it would loose something if the guy was six feet tall, and the werewolf was five foot nothing.
I suddenly pictured some stereotypical big burly biker-type dude staring a human-form werewolf in the eye, then the werewolf shifts, and suddenly realizing he's now roughly-eye-level with the biker-dude's navel...
:shift: "Grrr.. :? ..rrr?" :shock: "Uhh... J-just kidding... uhm... sir..." :(
My Werewolf Code!:
WWC1.0 SSHb LNAn SPDbsh SILt WTRn GDRs UNQd EATafvy SGNepcy SPKw STCb WLL+ HRT++ DLY+++++ STY+++++ INT0 RGN+ JMP+ STR+ BIG+ COL++ AGE+ CMN- AGL+ IRT+ EYE+ FUR+
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

ChaosWolf wrote:
ShadowWolf wrote:I think they should definatly be a little taller. They're more intimidating if they stand taller then the other guy. I'm not saying they all have to be nine feet tall or anything, but I think it would loose something if the guy was six feet tall, and the werewolf was five foot nothing.
I suddenly pictured some stereotypical big burly biker-type dude staring a human-form werewolf in the eye, then the werewolf shifts, and suddenly realizing he's now roughly-eye-level with the biker-dude's navel...
:shift: "Grrr.. :? ..rrr?" :shock: "Uhh... J-just kidding... uhm... sir..." :(
That's my point exactly...
Except that, with me, I'd have gotten my wok and meatcleaver out already.
Bladewing
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by Bladewing »

They should get bigger. Not too little though, and not too much. After all, if someone is short as a human, you don't want them being short as a werewolf! That would just look stupid.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Bladewing wrote: After all, if someone is short as a human, you don't want them being short as a werewolf!
I do... :|

Wolves are not big, burly animals. Why should a Werewolf be?
Bladewing wrote:That would just look stupid.
Why? What wouldn't be scary or intimidating about a man sized wolf staring at you at eye level, complete with sharp teeth, claws and yellow tinted eyes staring right through you, with an eerie glow reflecting from within? ...a fearsome beast which is clearly much stronger than you, and surely much faster and more agile too,(so running would be useless).

How is that NOT impressive or intimidating enough? ?? I don't get it...

=^.^'= ~
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

...Hey! Don't insult the short wolfies! I'm only 5'3", meaning I'm not the tallest thing around. If you added six inches onto a werewolf that was my height as a human, they'd only be 5'9", which is one inch taller than my mother. I guess what I'm trying to ask is how much is "a little bigger"? Six inches? A foot? I'm assuming that the extra height would be put in the legs to achieve a digitigrade stance. A foot would make me, miss short wolf, 6'3". Bwa ha ha ha ha... That poor biker dude would wet his pants.

shhowl :lol:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote: Why? What wouldn't be scary or intimidating about a man sized wolf staring at you at eye level, complete with sharp teeth, claws and yellow tinted eyes staring right through you, with an eerie glow reflecting from within?
All the better to see their own reflection in my hungry hungry eyes...

(I wasn't kidding about the "eating of werewolves" in that hunter thread, you know)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:(I wasn't kidding about the "eating of werewolves" in that hunter thread, you know)
In case you are basing the minimum size of a werewolf on the ability for a human to eat a creature that size...you do realise that in the course of human history, mankind has eaten the flesh of just about everything, including elephants, whales, bears and even poisonous creatures.

...so to a Werewolf "Hunter", a 7-Foot, 300 pound Wolf would just be More Meat on the table. lck :wink:

=^.^'= ~
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote: ...so to a Werewolf "Hunter", a 7-Foot, 300 pound Wolf would just be More Meat on the table. lck :wink:
And that's another reason why I'm not fond of small werewolves.