Age for Change..

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:what if the the boy frist came out as a werewolf but slowly turned back into a kid like howling 3, I like that idea.
I don't know, that sets off my wtfometer.

Mine broke when it hit maximum.

I get linked to a lot of weird pictures and stuff so I have a really high tolerance.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:I remember saying that I don't want to see a human giving birth to a wolf puppy. Or a wolf giving birth to a human. Thats just plain silly.

There is also the discussion of shifting while pregnant.
Agreed. Having a mixed-species birth just seems weird.
That just reminded me of 'The Fly' where one scene had a girl delivering giant maggots...
Boo
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Wolfhanyou wrote:
Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:I remember saying that I don't want to see a human giving birth to a wolf puppy. Or a wolf giving birth to a human. Thats just plain silly.

There is also the discussion of shifting while pregnant.
Agreed. Having a mixed-species birth just seems weird.
That just reminded me of 'The Fly' where one scene had a girl delivering giant maggots...

it was "The Fly 2"
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Lupin wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote:what if the the boy frist came out as a werewolf but slowly turned back into a kid like howling 3, I like that idea.
I don't know, that sets off my wtfometer.
Hehe, I wonder what the docters will think when they see a werewolf-pup.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Ok, improved the were-pup a bit.
Wuff!
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

He looks great! Are you gonna color him?
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

:o wow how did you do that so fast!!!
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Excelsia wrote:He looks great! Are you gonna color him?
*grin* Thanks.
Probably not. I suck at coloring and it's just a quick sketch for comedic effect. Way more bugs than I care to work out just to color it. :P
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Shadow Wulf wrote::o wow how did you do that so fast!!!
I have no life. ;)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

PariahPoet wrote:
Shadow Wulf wrote::o wow how did you do that so fast!!!
I have no life. ;)

*checks pulse*

:o You seem alive to me. :lol:
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Hehehe.

Thats too cute. :D
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Lol, I might consent to my boyfriend to have kids when we're married if I could have a were-puppy! :family:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

A Fly on the Wal-Mart

Post by Scott Gardener »

Werepup:
adorable.

The Fly One or two:
It was actually the first one. (The remake of the first one, that is, not the original Vincent Price "help me" one.) It was a nightmare scene. The second movie, which I haven't seen, took the idea and made it actually happen. (It might also have contained the scene or one like it.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: A Fly on the Wal-Mart

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:Werepup:
adorable.

The Fly One or two:
It was actually the first one. (The remake of the first one, that is, not the original Vincent Price "help me" one.) It was a nightmare scene. The second movie, which I haven't seen, took the idea and made it actually happen. (It might also have contained the scene or one like it.)
oh...I forgot about that nightmare scene. Its been so long since I seen "The Fly"
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Some occulto-geekery...probably too involved to work cinematically...

Say the genetic werewolf is born on the full moon in such-and-such sign. Let's use Leo for example. Born on the full moon in Leo. His first change would be triggered by the same phase of the moon coming into Leo again. You could be really weird and have him change *only* when there's a full moon in Leo, thus allowing him to be patterned; either he could make sure to psyche himself up or get secured, or a hunter could prepare to go after him on such-and-such a night.

H'mm. Kind of involved...
ImageImageImageImage
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

For many different reasons, I think that having a born werewolf be at least puberty age when the first transformation happens is best (perhaps in some cases even older, up to age 19 or 20).
For one thing, a werewolf child who could change on purpose or who was forced to change at certain times (such as the full moon or when angry) would be a HUGE risk. Children do not have the same sense of what they should say and do as adults have. The secret WOULD get out. There is no way you could hide all the transformations and keep the kid from ever letting a word slip, unless the child was raised in total or near-total isolation from humans, such as in an all-werewolf commune with home-schooling (and then they would be VERY weird kids indeed who probably couldn't function in the real world very well).
Another consideration is the nudity/sex/violence angle of much werewolf fiction. From a writer's standpoint, I can see how kid werewolves could lead to much ickiness in anything other than a kid's book or film. Of course, kid werewolves work much better in fiction written for children. In such fiction, the realism angle mentioned above (the secret getting out) is not as big of an issue because kid's fiction is not as realistic, anyway.
Another point I wanted to make is that, if we have any desire to root our werewolf creations in folklore, there are practically no child werewolves. I don't think I've found any legends mentioning one younger than 12 (and those are pretty darn rare). Hereditary curses were portrayed as usually not kicking in until the late teens. For that matter, there are very few child monsters (except ghosts) in folklore, and very few children with supernatural powers. It is a widespread idea that, if you have some sort of psionic or supernatural power, it is very unlikely to manifest until puberty.
Thus, if you were putting together magical or supernatural werewolves, it would make the most sense if you had no child werewolves (that is, there would be latent werewolf children, but no actively changing ones).
From a practical writer's standpoint, I also see a lot of reasons to do so, whether you have biological or magical werewolves.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

hmmm...lots of good points, although we can't always focus on what's most convenient for the werewolf.

As for the kids being too talkative and careless...well, that could still happen anyway, even if they couldn't change. Something could definitely slip, unless the parents chose to keep it a family secret from the kid until they were older. Of course, a slip of the tongue isn't nearly so bad as a slip of the body, because most people would just assume that the kid is overimaginative.

I'll reiterate that you did indeed make a great deal of good points in favor of puberty TFing...but there are just as many good points in favor of kids being able to TF all their lives. I guess it will all come down to the individual writer or movie director's personal choices.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

true it would be better for werewolf to TF at puberty but what keeps the body from being able to TF before puberty is what I like to know,if its a virus then it wont matter what age they will be in and will likely TF whenever. And dont always beleive in legends, its also possible that they couldnt tell if a werewolf was a boy or not.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Shadow Wulf wrote:true it would be better for werewolf to TF at puberty but what keeps the body from being able to TF before puberty is what I like to know,if its a virus then it wont matter what age they will be in and will likely TF whenever. And dont always beleive in legends, its also possible that they couldnt tell if a werewolf was a boy or not.
Simple, it would be like the secondary sex characistics. Changes in the various levels of hormones start triggering the various changes in the body. It's not too much of a stretch to say that it would trigger the various changes in the body necessary for the werewolf transformation.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

but is it possible if the kid really intends to somehow able to change at a earlier age?
Image Image
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Yes, it's possible.
But do we really, really want to go for Fangface Jr redux?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:Yes, it's possible.
But do we really, really want to go for Fangface Jr redux?

grrrr ga ga goo goo grrrr

Oh brother!!! Give me a break!! :roll:

One more thing......its not Fangface Jr. Its Fangpuss.
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

I have an entire society built around my weres. .

They don't TF until their first 'season'. . .and it's activated by a bite. . :)

So when I have a character who is displaced from the society going through this, it scares the living sh*t out of her!
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

PariahPoet: Cute picture!!

Now to topic, yes it's been discussed in bits and peices here and there, but it seems as though we're talking here right now so I just love adding my two cents. I really can't tell when a werewolf would first start shifting. For some reason they all seem a tad unrealistic to me, but we are dealing with something unreal in general.

The puberty thing seems to be placed as an answer, and I think in the past I have myself settled onto saying that hormones activate it. Yet I don't know what hormones start the virus or start the just the shifting, and how would that work for older weres who don't have a rush of hormones? I think the main reason people like this is because becoming a werewolf is so the ultimate symbol of puberty, just even more hair and more change the the body, not to mention 'primal urges', so people seem to love torturing teens with becoming a werewolf!

Babies, I just find it weird, though cute, for babies to shift. Would their body handle it or be able to fully shift? I just can't even see a little two year old turning into a cub, though it would be cute.

Hrmm.....*shrugs shoulders* I dunno.
:)
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

...If I had a universe with werewolves in it, I'd probably make them be able to shift their entire lives.

After all, what about people with hormone problems? Also, males and females get different rushes of hormones during puberty, guys get testosterone, and girls get estrogen. I think that saying the virus is activated by BOTH of these hormones (since there are male and female werewolves) is stretching it a bit.