Hunters

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Hunters

Post by Akela »

I looked at most of the topics and couldn't find anything relating to this. Of course there must be werewolf hunters. But what would they be like?

They obviously would keep their knowledge of werewolves a secret and try to perform less conspicuous killings. There would probably be several types including the stereo-typical Religious Inquisition figures and for the less religious; people who have taken it upon themselves to rid the world of the abominations for the good of humanity. These reasons should be fairly obvious just to name a few.

-Werewolves might be vieweed as servants of Satan
-An outbreak of Lycanthropy could be catostrophic

I truly fail to see how the use of silver would be practical when there are so many more efficient ways of dispatching a werewolf. Deadly toxins and sniper rifles would be good enough to kill one and still keep it a secret.

Comments and ideas would be nice..........
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Religious nuts? :( I'm a Christian therian.
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

PariahPoet wrote:Religious nuts? :( I'm a Christian therian.
So am I......... but that wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking a little more towards Catholic Inqusistion of old except that they would have to keep their operations a secret and would obviously have to keep the killing from reaching public knowledge.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

ah, ok, we can bash an Catholics all we want. :wink:
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

:lol: I didn't mean that an entire church of Catholics would get together to hunt a werewolf. If a whole church of people knew the whole world might as well know too....... I'm just talking about the select few people who know werewolves exist and want to destroy them. Hunters wouln't necessarily have the same religion or even have a religion at all. And when I say few I'm talking probably a few hundred normal humans, at most, who know the existance of werewolves out of the entire world.
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

I imagine they'd be quite different..perhaps organized, perhaps not. I'm thinking of Quent, who's out to kill all wolves. In the world of Wolf's Rain, wolves are nothing but legend..like our werewolves. He's a rugged drunk, a man of the earth. He tries to get people to believe they still exist, but nobody'll listen...for the most part. He's pretty obsessed with it. And then there would probably be the hyperorganized types, kinda like in Van Helthing. Researchers and hunters, assasins trained to do nothing but kill the 'monsters'. Depends on your breed of werewolf and the human after them, I guess. All colors, all creed.
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Those are good ideas, but if you think I'm talking about fanatical hunters your wrong.

How many Fanatical Inquisitors does it take to kill a werewolf?

A:
100; one to kill it with the latest Neural Toxins and ninety-nine to praise the lord.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Actually, this has been discussed extensively. There isn't a topic, however, that blatantly says "Werewolf Hunters" for the title, so I'll give it to you this time.

The basic argument is that there are three types of hunters:

1) Monster nuts with video cameras hunting for evidence of werewolves.
2) Van Helsing wannabes that know nothing of werewolves other than that they exist, but hunt them for some otherwise irrelevant cause that has, in truth, absolutely nothing to do with werewolves (religion, protecting humanity, etc.)
3) Professionals, who usually have a very personal agenda against werewolves in general.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I agree fully with Terastas. Theres going to be people looking for eveidence, whether they're amatures (posibly a hoping werewolf lover.), or scientists that are looking into werewolves and may be envestigating certain phenomenons. Not actually killing a werewolf, but 'hunting' for eveidence and one of them to capture. Killing a werewolf may cause an unhappy outbreak, though bringing in a dead gestalt would get sciencetists to really get into wreewolves (or some to claim it fake.) it would be disaproved by the fact it may of been a human (or a deformed wolf.).

Then theres someone who just has a personal grudge, whether they were bitten or someone they knew was killed by a werewolf, thus wanting to hunt them down at all costs. Thats a story thats sure to make a nice movie.

Then the wannabes, I think we all know what that would be with the little 'Vampire slayers'
:roll:
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

That makes senes. Could someone provide a link to the "Werewolf Hunters" topic?
CrypticIdentity
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by CrypticIdentity »

PariahPoet wrote:ah, ok, we can bash an Catholics all we want. :wink:
I'm Catholic. And although I agree that there are some rather over-the-top Catholics, I'd rather not see a post like that when it doesn't even have to do with the topic. Also, please don't see my post as wanting to start a religious debate; that's neither here nor there, as one might say.

Sorry if I'm making too big of a deal out of this :oops: . It's just...annoying to see something like that.
If I scare you now, don't run from me--I've been hiding my pain, you see...
Said if I scare you now, don't run from me--I've been hiding my pain, you see!
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Yes, I have no idea why that was said as I clearly stated I was talking about the Inquisiton and not the church, which are two seperate entities entirely.
Ghostwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ghostwolf »

Terastas wrote:Actually, this has been discussed extensively. There isn't a topic, however, that blatantly says "Werewolf Hunters" for the title, so I'll give it to you this time.

2) Van Helsing wannabes that know nothing of werewolves other than that they exist, but hunt them for some otherwise irrelevant cause that has, in truth, absolutely nothing to do with werewolves (religion, protecting humanity, etc.)
3) Professionals, who usually have a very personal agenda against werewolves in general.
I agree whit you.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

or they could have a grudge against the werewolf itself like a person's loved one (spouse, parents, sibling) got killed by a werewolf getting revenge.
THE GAME

My Armory
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

You would think a werewolf would be a little more careful.
Oh well, screw the silver, give me a flamethrower :evil:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Do you know how awful burnt fur smells?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

I do... it really stinks... found that out the hard way :lol:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Akela wrote:That makes senes. Could someone provide a link to the "Werewolf Hunters" topic?
I looked for it originally, but as I said, wherever the discussion took place, it must have been out of topic.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Terastas wrote:
Akela wrote:That makes senes. Could someone provide a link to the "Werewolf Hunters" topic?
I looked for it originally, but as I said, wherever the discussion took place, it must have been out of topic.
There's a bit of a discussion starting here:
http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewto ... =2945#2945

And here's a Werewolf Hunters? thread that Terastas made:
http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewtopic.php?t=91

Now, as for me, I don't really care for the idea of Werewolf Hunters, but I do like the idea of Werewolf Hunter Hunters.
:wink: :lol:

-- Vilkacis
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Quick clarification:

"Religious fanatics" is not the general Christian population, nor is it the general modern Catholic population. Most Catholics today are nothing like the inquisition days. It might as well have been a different church back then. And, I don't expect the Catholic church to be the main motivator of modern werewolf-hunts.

It's the hard-line Fundamentalist groups--the guys like Pat Robertson, who prays for the death of Supreme Court justices, or Jerry Falwell, who blamed homosexuals for the September 11th attacks. They're the ones who would be convinced that werewolves are the "Beast of Revelations" and who would launch an extermination campaign. They'd also use their influence in America within the Republican Party to drive Conservative politics squarely against the interests of werewolves.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
NightStorm
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightStorm »

^ good idea Scott.
I like the idea of fantics chasing down weres
Akela
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akela »

Scott Gardener wrote: Most Catholics today are nothing like the inquisition days.
I never said they were. I was merely trying to bring the point that there would be some kind of fanatic out there.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Terastas wrote:Actually, this has been discussed extensively. There isn't a topic, however, that blatantly says "Werewolf Hunters" for the title, so I'll give it to you this time.

Thats a neat breakdown of the hunter-types. :D
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

I've got to agree with Aki... it covers pretty much all of the bases.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

Scott Gardener wrote:Quick clarification:

"Religious fanatics" is not the general Christian population, nor is it the general modern Catholic population. Most Catholics today are nothing like the inquisition days. It might as well have been a different church back then. And, I don't expect the Catholic church to be the main motivator of modern werewolf-hunts.

It's the hard-line Fundamentalist groups--the guys like Pat Robertson, who prays for the death of Supreme Court justices, or Jerry Falwell, who blamed homosexuals for the September 11th attacks. They're the ones who would be convinced that werewolves are the "Beast of Revelations" and who would launch an extermination campaign. They'd also use their influence in America within the Republican Party to drive Conservative politics squarely against the interests of werewolves.
This is a good point which I'm definitely going to have to stress further. Nowadays, organized religion is only a problem when some maniac like Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell or Fred Phelps declares themself the Pope. That's when the lunacy begins.

Since werewolves are still unknown to the general populace, any such force of anti-werewolves fanatics would have to be unknown to the general populace as well, thus it's numbers would probably resemble those of the typical werewolf pack. Any larger and the FBI could open a cultist/terrorist investigation.