Nintendo Revolution Controller.

What's hot, what's not. General Video Game discussion
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I am really suprised at some who have allready given up on nintendo just because they don't understand what they see.

The revolution controller is an advanced pointer/ motion sensor device, with expandable capacity to become whatever kind of controller any perticular genre demands.

The Little controll stick thing is just ONE of many planned modules that will allow the little pointer/stick/remote to become several diferent kinds of controllers...Including a not yet seen attatchment (Dubbed the, "Classic Style Expansion Controller"), that turns it into a traditionally shaped and equipped controller with all the joysticks, triggers and buttons you expect to find on a Next-Gen Game console controller. (Which will allow you to play games the same way you do on XB360 and PS3...but with the addition of the motion sensor technology simultanioulsly)

Give it a chance...you just might enjoy controlling an airplane by flying the controller like a toy...or fighting enemies in the next Zelda game by actually swinging the master sword yourself, rather than just hitting the "A" button. (Though, playing games where you DO just hit the A button will be easy with such a HUGE A Button in the middle of the controller.)

Also...Nintendo's new console is NOT about forsaking everything that videogames have done "Right" in the past. ...that could not be further from the truth.

The *Revolution System (with the optional assistance of the "Classic Style Expansion Controller" or the GameCube controller) will provide the OLD SCHOOL layout and necessary buttons to play all your old favorite NES, SNES, and N64 games the way you remember them...without needing to use the NEW motion sensor features... but instead just play like you used to.

...or try to play them with the base *Revolution controller. That works too.

...this is just me wishing and dreaming now, but what I would love would be if Nintedo would RE-RELEASE all of the old-shool controllers, (maybe only available dirrectly from their website, and not neccesarily on store shelves), that could plug into the GameCube controller ports so, if you really wanted to, you could play the classic games EXACTLY as they originally played...with the old "Grey Brick" NES controller, or the (also criticised in it's time), three pronged N64 controller, or the sleek, refined, simple SNES pad.

Now...I don't expect Nintendo to WIN over Sony and Microsoft with this system. I still think that the other two juggernauts will likely retain the majority of the Home-Console market share...and personally look forward to playing the graphically unparelleled games that will be made for those systems.

...however...I really think Nintendo knows what it is doing with this strategy. I can hardly wait to see what I will be able to do with this thing.
Uniqueness ROCKS! (...just look at games like "Katamari Damaci"...)

And having access to MOST (if not All) of the Best classic games ever released on a Nintendo platform ( and maybe even some that were not. SEGA Genisis/CD/Saturn/Dreamcast anyone?...(Not officially announced. I'm just hoping and speculating on what is "possilbe")), without having to look for them on E-BAY, or curse oneself for letting thier parents sell their old consoles years ago, will be the icing on the cake.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!................
Last edited by Vuldari on Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

My inner Crazed Nintendo FanBoy is showing...isn't it? Image
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Well if they have an extension like that, I just hope that it comes with the standard controller.... along with the analog extension....

....er.. wow, I'm throwing these all into one package for a reason but I have a feeling they'll be asking for an additional 40 dollars per controller or something like that if they throw too much in.

Sadly though, it's probably a neccesity. The way game developers are, it's difficult to get them to support something that isn't widely available.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Oh, and for the record. If this does well and actually gives Nintendo a significant advantage expect Sony and Microsoft to add similer features to thier controllers.

Actually I wouldn't mind that at all. The point/tilt function is a darn good feature after all.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Searif Bogard wrote:two words

looks stupid
Jup, as stupid as the Revolution design itself.

I mean; it looks like a CD-ROM-player, placed on the side. Its just butt-ugly. What the hell is going on with Nintendo?
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

nobody is looking at my starship troopers thread :cry:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Shadow Wulf wrote:nobody is looking at my starship troopers thread :cry:
The movie is cool, because the director was Paul Verhoeven (Dutch :D ), but the game? I dunno. I don't think it will run on my PC anyway.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Morkulv wrote:
Searif Bogard wrote:two words

looks stupid
Jup, as stupid as the Revolution design itself.

I mean; it looks like a CD-ROM-player, placed on the side. Its just butt-ugly. What the hell is going on with Nintendo?
Looks Stupid? ...looks sleek and refined to me.

But then again, all three new consoles and controllers look pretty weird to me.

Image Image
Shiny, minimalistic box with unconventional "modular" Pointer style Controller.

Image Image
This curved...thing, with a notch on one end...and the totally odd looking "Boomerang" controller.

Image Image
The most Distinctive looking console casing of the three (especially with the swappable faceplates), but... "...Most Unoriginal Game controller...Ever...".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stricltly "Aestheticly" speaking, I think the XB360 has the best looking console Unit, while the (still code-named) *Revolution has the most stylish looking controller.
(Whether it's playable functionality is readily visable or not, you have to admit...that thing looks slick as an i-POD....both of my winners, actually...Hmmmm....)

Vuldari's Winners:
...........................................................................................................................................Image
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I can easily say that the XBox 360 looks the best of all.

Like I said, I still think the Revolution looks like a CD-ROM-player.

The new PlayStation looks like a toaster, and the controller looks like a boomerang.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Excuse me for a seocnd, I wrote a REEALLY LONG post here and accidentaly Xed out of it.
GAAAH!

Well, I have nothing better to do so I'll just have to retype a new shorter one.

Yuck, Vuldari, as I asked earleir to everyone, does it come in any new colors? I'm not looking forward to white thing, I want a darker color, or posibly purple.
I am really suprised at some who have allready given up on nintendo just because they don't understand what they see.
No, I'm really much still a little Fangirl, just not as much. I used to be much like how you are, yet I'm not the most interested in everything anymore. I'm still devoted to Nitendo and hope they do good on this project!
Give it a chance...you just might enjoy controlling an airplane by flying the controller like a toy...or fighting enemies in the next Zelda game by actually swinging the master sword yourself, rather than just hitting the "A" button. (Though, playing games where you DO just hit the A button will be easy with such a HUGE A Button in the middle of the controller.)
Now that is Cool!
The *Revolution System (with the optional assistance of the "Classic Style Expansion Controller" or the GameCube controller) will provide the OLD SCHOOL layout and necessary buttons to play all your old favorite NES, SNES, and N64 games the way you remember them...without needing to use the NEW motion sensor features... but instead just play like you used to.
...or try to play them with the base *Revolution controller. That works too.

...this is just me wishing and dreaming now, but what I would love would be if Nintedo would RE-RELEASE all of the old-shool controllers, (maybe only available dirrectly from their website, and not neccesarily on store shelves), that could plug into the GameCube controller ports so, if you really wanted to, you could play the classic games EXACTLY as they originally played...with the old "Grey Brick" NES controller, or the (also criticised in it's time), three pronged N64 controller, or the sleek, refined, simple SNES pad.
That is something I'm hoping for. I just think things are missing without the original comtroller. I play most of my MegaMan games across the computer using a special controlled that attaches to my computer, and some MegaMan on the gamecube, still alot of fun, just not the same thing for the both the controllers are not like the controlling I'm used too. I do like the controller for the computer though, I'm used to using that.

I hope they have the older controolers for it, and maybe something to hook your gameboy up to too.
And having access to MOST (if not All) of the Best classic games ever released on a Nintendo platform ( and maybe even some that were not. SEGA Genisis/CD/Saturn/Dreamcast anyone?...(Not officially announced. I'm just hoping and speculating on what is "possilbe")), without having to look for them on E-BAY, or curse oneself for letting thier parents sell their old consoles years ago, will be the icing on the cake.
Now that is something I want! If its anything I'd jump on the chance to say have EVERY (which is alot.) MegaMan game on one disk, I'd grab the thing and run off. Also it would allow us to put our Super Nitendo in a safe place, for we BABY the little thing, we absolutly take care of it like no other. Also, doing that would save time from pulling out the TV from the wall and changing the consoles, which it really did take me awhile to learn how to swith the 64 and Super Nitendo.

I'm hoping for:
- Different Colors and looks.
- Rereleased Controllers.
- Games from different Consoles.
- Other Cool Games
- Mega Man!
- That they don't instantly make a new one.

I'm hoping this thing last. Infact now I'm dreaming with you Vuldari. If they put a lot of the older games onto this, make alot of new games, have so many chpices and all the cool stuff, this thing can be Ultimate. Yet I'm hoping that if they have a new Idea they don't make a new Console, but have upgrades for this one. I'm hoping this thing becomes Ultimate, the console with everything on it. Where everything meets together in one, and with great features.

Dang it, Vuldari, now your making me want one! :bone: :nerdwolf:
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Actually they're talking about takes old games and remastering them. Such as, a Cel shaded Super Mario Bro's and such. These would still be distributed via Nintendo's virtual console store though.

Yeah they are considering releasing some games from the Genesis. I was a big Genesis fan so that'd be enough to get me to buy em.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Here's some accesseries that've popped up.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/features/rev ... zapper.jpg

http://www.gamesarefun.com/features/rev ... vwheel.jpg

http://www.gamesarefun.com/features/rev ... evfish.jpg

I believe the racing wheel and the zapper are mockups. However, I really like the idea of a zapper. Would be nice for first person shooters.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

outwarddoodles wrote:Yuck, Vuldari, as I asked earleir to everyone, does it come in any new colors? I'm not looking forward to white thing, I want a darker color, or posibly purple.

I'm hoping for:
- Different Colors and looks.
Image Image

These are just the Test colors right now. The final selection of colors may change before the systems launch, and might vary between the Asian, American, European, etc. markets. (New colors might become available, while others shown may be replaced entirely.)

=^.^'= ~
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

WolvenOne wrote:Actually they're talking about takes old games and remastering them. Such as, a Cel shaded Super Mario Bro's and such. These would still be distributed via Nintendo's virtual console store though.

Yeah they are considering releasing some games from the Genesis. I was a big Genesis fan so that'd be enough to get me to buy em.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some accesseries that've popped up.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/features/rev ... zapper.jpg

http://www.gamesarefun.com/features/rev ... vwheel.jpg

http://www.gamesarefun.com/features/rev ... evfish.jpg

I believe the racing wheel and the zapper are mockups. However, I really like the idea of a zapper. Would be nice for first person shooters.
I'm quite confident that all three images are "Mock-Ups"...however, as I understand it, equivilant devices (which will do the same things, but look different) WILL be made available over time...Including the Light Gun Model. (aka. "Zapper")

As for the "Remastered" games...yeah, I've heard that talk too. The way the market is though, I'm quite confident that if Nintendo released a Cell-Shaded version of the original SuperMario Brothers, or Mario 64, they would also offer the original versions for download as well...as seperate purchases of course.
(Nintendo --->:cash: ) There would just be too much demand, and too much profit to be made Not to.

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Ahh Nintendo.... I like the company but man, everything about it is quirky.

From thier tendency to charge people a dozen times for the same classic title, to thier constant claims that they're the only creative gaming company left.

Then there's the Nintendo Zombies.

"Games.... GAMES!"

Okay, seriously, the more devoted Nintendo fanboys of the world can be scary.

Despite all that, I'm staring to think that this might work. Though I'm still frowning at the expenses involved.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

Vuldari wrote: Image Image

These are just the Test colors right now. The final selection of colors may change before the systems launch, and might vary between the Asian, American, European, etc. markets. (New colors might become available, while others shown may be replaced entirely.)
What I think looks weird about them is they're like Overly SHINEY. I mean, I love shiney stuff (I used to have a box full of shiney paper and things but my mom threw them away.) but also as I said this is a gaming system, I want it to look nice and fun, with playful colors, that or a dark color, not something that I wouldn't even find in one of the Labs my Stepmom works at. I do though understand those pictures were purposly taken in a special room for a sleek look, in the end if I had one all our paw prints and drool would make it dull.

And is that a light on the frount? Reminds me of those 'Hot Rods'.
From thier tendency to charge people a dozen times for the same classic title, to thier constant claims that they're the only creative gaming company left.
Back then alot of games for Super Nitendo sold for alot of money, and they would make several games for one thing. Theres a hell of a lot of MegaMan games, and they surely were expensive. Amazing you can now get them at Flea Markets for only 5 bucks.

He he, the fishing reel controller was interesting!
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I'm hoping I can lay the Nintendo Revolution flat instead of standing up like that. I need to raise the shelf in order to place it in my home theater cabinet.

As for the controller, I need to try it out 1st hand to see if its any good. Who knows what the 3rd party will make for the Revolution.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

yeah, it'll lay flat, the DVDRom drive should actually work better as a result actually.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Somehow I don't think a game controller that looks like it controls a VCR or DVD player is the best idea. It's ONE MORE laying around, and I don't get the idea that it would work well on the hands for hours. Not that the old NES controller was good for my thumbs back in the Super Mario Brothers days.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Scott Gardener wrote:Somehow I don't think a game controller that looks like it controls a VCR or DVD player is the best idea. It's ONE MORE laying around, and I don't get the idea that it would work well on the hands for hours. Not that the old NES controller was good for my thumbs back in the Super Mario Brothers days.
Oddly, I think that is exactly what Nintendo was going for. ...based on some of the things I heard in the TGS keynote speach...

Apparently, Nintendo is aiming at the vast consumer market of "non-gamers", who refuse to pick up a Game Controller and are not interested in the "Hard Core" gaming market...but might be willing to pick up this clever device and play with it...a device which looks and feels like the TV/DVD remote controlls that they use every day.

Videogames are almost "Taboo" to many people nowadays...but Nintendo wishes to change that. Nintendo is trying to create a game system that your little sister, your teenage brother, Your MOM and your Grandfather will all want to play with you. ...a bold and ambitious plan...but this odd looking little device is far more likely to become a "bridge" between Gamers and Non-Gamers that the "EXTREME" look and attitude of the other two game systems.

...this is admitably a big "turn off" for a large portion of the existing gamers market, as many "Hard Core" gamers don't want to play games on a system designed for their grandmother. ...but who knows what the future could hold if Nintendos plans play out. An older woman who buys the system to play a 3D puzzle game with the highly physical user interface (perhaps by reccomendation by her doctor as a form of physical therapy), may choose to experiment with different genres as well, and before you know it, "FraGRanny_89" is schooling you in the Revolution version of the hottest FPS of 2007.
Last edited by Vuldari on Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Well, I applaud Nintendo on getting an potentially ground breaking controller built. However I believe that the remote shape is.... a mistake.

Here's the problem. Yes, it is a shape that's less, frieghtening to some people. Though not all, I should note that both my father and my grandmother tend to be lost when they look at remotes.

The real problem though, as I've stated earlier, is that the design is not ergonomic enough for prolonged use. I keep trying to find a way to hold the thing that wouldn't start hurting after a half hour or so, but it's just not happening. I really do hope that they do something with the design to address this because after the initial wows they'll be getting a lot of complaints about sore wrists.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

There is no way any of us can really say how comfortable it will be to use, or how well it will actually work as a gameplay device untill we have had a chance to hold it in our hands and try it for ourselves. ...and, unfortunately, that day will not be very soon. (Likely Fall 2006...over a YEAR from Now.)

Untill then, we can only speculate.

Clearly, most of you refuse to be sold on the new interfaces potential alone. Your skepticism is definately well founded. ...as Nintendo is trying to make thier new system into "something else" compared to Sony and Microsofts consoles, which are trying to outdo each other with "Bigger and Better" installments of thier best-selling games and genres instead. (Something that we ALL know we want...even me.)

So...do we really WANT "something else"?... Videogames are really cool as they are.

...and Nintendo has far from a spotless record as far as experimentation goes. They experimented with Motion sensing technology LONG before the Revolution...with a colossal failure called the "Power Glove". ...not to mention the headache inducing true 3D "Virtual Boy".

...But I love them for trying. (I proudly display my Power Glove and Virtual Boy as centerpeices in my Gaming collection. ...I think they were just ahead of thier time...)

Regardless of how much of a success or failure the Revolution will turn out to be, there is no question in my mind that I will be one of the first people in America to own one.

If it fails completely (which is higly unlikely) then it will still earn a repected place in my permanent collection.

If it earns a small, but respected following as a Niche market system and remains the very profitable THIRD best selling system, I will be quite satisfied with the slow, but steady stream of games that I will be able to play with my "Free Form, Pointer-Wand" controller.

...and if it turns into a HUGE success...I'll just smile and politely invite you all to play SSBR-Online with me.

=^.^'= ~
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Re: Nintendo Revolution Controller.

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Vuldari wrote:Image

...for better or for worse, Nintendo is DEFINATELY going in a different direction with their Next Generation Console.

Only Time will tell if this wild, strange interface will work or not.

At this point...the future is anyones guess.
You've got to be kidding ?? What the hell is that contraption :blink:
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Vuldari wrote:Weirder still...but THERES your extra buttons and traditional GameControll for Ya... (*Mock-UP. NOT Official)

This*, apparently, is how you will play classic games, and Multi-platform games that the base controller is not capable of initially.
WolvenOne wrote:Imagine a Nintendo party game that's an utter blast to play. Throw in an extension that's neccesery to play it. Now, assuming that extension is 15 to 20 dollars each and Nintendo provides the first extension with the game, then you, the consumer, will be stuck playing an additional 45 to 60 dollars just so that 3 other people can join along.

This is pretty much my biggest fear. That there will be a dozen extensions and that you need two or three of them to play the majority of games. Hopefully it won't work out like that.
I think this may actually turn out to be the case. There is allredy talk of "Bongo Drum" attatchments, light gun attatchments and who knows what else.

[EDIT:] I just learned that the image I posted is NOT the actual add on, but in fact a MOCK-UP made by IGN, based on what they suspect it will be like. NO "Official" immages of this ADD ON have been released yet. ...but it HAS been officially announced that a similar device will be available.

Here is the article: LINK

...sorry...
So your saying this smaller controller will clasp into the larger one possibly? ??
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

For anyone who is curious, I'm going to re-post the links to the articles and videos related to the Revolution here:

Videos:
-Revolution Controller Teaser AD (Quicktime)

-Full Revolution Controller Demonstration Video (Quicktime) (Large download)

-Streaming KeyNote Video-Presentation/ w. Slide-show. (In it's entirety)

(Warning: This Video-Presentation is 50 Minutes long, and is mostly alot of Market Research talk and Nintendo talking about how cool they are. However, it does provide some insight into just "What they are thinking" with thier strategies for the DS and Revolution Sytems. ...if you have the patience to wait through all of it. Even if you have a fast internet connection, I reccomend watching the 56K version, as the audio and video remains smoother.)

Pics:

Image Image Image
Image Image *Image* (Mock-Up.)

Here is a Pic I grabbed from the video presentation which shows ALL of the controller colors, including the Black one as well. (Something I have not seen anywhere else yet.)
All Colors

Articles:

-IGN- Understanding the Controller / The Possiblilities / Hands-ON / At a Glance / IGN thinks... / Developers think... / Revolution FAQ

-NINTENDO- N' reveals Controller / Hands ON
Last edited by Vuldari on Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~