The place for anything at all...
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Katrina's other victims

Post by Akugarou »

I've been monitoring the situation on the US Gulf Coast. Even though the situation for humans is dire, my concern is also for the secondary victims of the disaster caused by Hurricane Katrina.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of pets that are now homeless. Many could not take their beloved pets with them. For survivors, concern over pets left behind only adds to their trauma. Also, massive numbers of wildlife have been displaced.

Rescue efforts are under way, but they need our help. Please visit these organizations to donate (as I have already done):

The Humane Society of the United States

American Humane

Links will take you to these organizations individual donation pages. If these links fail at any time please contact me.

Thank you!
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I'm on the Whisper Syndrome list (horse-centric). We got a post today that compendiumizes a number of relief agencies attempting to aid equine victims of Katrina. I saw a ranch on the news today that breeds miniature horses (yes, they're adorable). They lost two, and have nine left — and no way to feed, water or shelter them.

Here's a cut-'n-paste of the Whisper Syndrome post:

<b>Here are a series of horse/animal related press releases I have gotten on the Hurricane. I encourage everyone to help in anyway you can, no matter how small! I have donated $25 to animal related funds and 4 bags a food to a local charity that is taking 4 HUGE semis full of food, water, and toiletries to the affected areas tomorrow. Both donations are small, but they all add up quickly!!

Please forward and cross post any and all messages below. I have posted a LOT of information at http://www.rescuenetwork.com as well.

~Barbara

--------------------------------

Shelter and Veterinary Services Needed for Hurricane Katrina’s Equine Refugees
Place Your Facility on the USEF Hurricane Equine Relief List

(Lexington, KY) — As Americans view the newscasts of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina it is clear that both humans and animals require immediate emergency relief from not only official agencies but from the generosity of individuals.

If you have a facility or pasture which you can offer to house refugee horses and ponies, victims of Hurricane Katrina, please email your name, address, phone number and email address to kcadams@usef.org , or at 859-225-6993, (please email if at all possible as we expect a heavy load of calls.) If you can volunteer veterinary services please submit your contact information. The USEF is posting a listing by state of these facilities for horses and ponies on our website. The list will be accessed by going to www.usef.org, on the right side of the homepage click on Hurricane Katrina Equine Relief. It is expected to be operational by tonight, August 31st and will serve as a master list to help horse owners in Katrina's path find help. Other equine organizations wishing to assist the effort and link to the list should also email kcadams@usef.org.

We urge the participation of anyone who has the space, licensed veterinary expertise and tenderness of heart to help these equine refugees.

Go to this page to see the list of current facilities offering shelter, http://www.usef.org/relief/index.php

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:33:07 -0000
Subject: [HorsePolitics101] Hurricane relief efforts

Allan Schwartz from Days End Farm will be participating in the large animal rescue efforts under the auspices of HSUS. He isn't sure where he'll be deployed, Louisiana, Mississippi, or even inland for post-storm damage (he mentioned TN as a possibility) which is expected to be bad in itself.

I've called HSUS to see if there's a specific designation for people wanting to donate to animal storm relief efforts. It doesn't have a LAR-specific donation button yet but you can use the one-time donation button on the left of the homepage, especially those who don't wish to become connected with HSUS in any other way. http://www.hsus.org/

The person I spoke to said HSUS might have something specific on the website by noon today.

Cris May
Days End Farm Horse Rescue
http://www.daysendfarm.org
Protection for Horses - Education for People

Texans and Louisianans-Cajuns neighbors joined together to help save horse from flood waters.

The Wild Horse Foundation located in Franklin, Texas, 60 miles southeast of Crawford, Texas, assisted with over 87 horses being removed from low lying areas in southeast Louisiana to central Louisiana closer to Alexandria. We had the assistance of several ranchers who are working partner with us on emergency movements. We would like to thank these folks for there assisting the foundation with emergency movement and gathering. We will be going back as soon as road conditions permits.

As most of you know even domestic horses can be extremely hard to handle when there upset and excited. Several had to be removed from water flooded areas but were easy to move onto trailers. Others were removed prior to any immediate flooding but land they were on is now under water.

Cities we removed horses from were Houma, Morgan City and Thibodaux, while the others areas still flooded.

My brother who lives in Mississippi has already been on generator power and is in direct line of the hurricane moving inland has moved his horses into safe areas.

Once it is safe to move back into the flooded areas we will be searching for any loose livestock including horses and returning them back to a central location for identification.

Remember both Louisiana and Mississippians will need all help to return to normal. Do not take on any task you can not assist with or responsibly handle. Your prayers are certainly needed for a fast recovery in these areas.

Thank You for your support and we will keep you posted on any livestock movement.

Ray Field
Executive Director
Wild Horse Foundation
13140 State Highway 7
P. O. Box 692
Franklin, Texas 77856
979-828-3927
email. grfield@wildhorsefoundation.org
http://www.wildhorsefoundation.org

EQUINE RESCUE GROUP HELPING LOUISIANA'S HORSES

Habitat for Horses/Lone Start Equine Rescue is organizing a massive relief and rescue effort to help the equines of southern Louisiana after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina forced millions to evacuate. A large number of horses, mules and donkeys are now in danger of starvation, injury and death if relief efforts are not immediately taken. FEMA and the USDA are now in control of the areas most devastated by the hurricane. As quickly as they allow, our emergency relief efforts will start.

Volunteers from Texas and Oklahoma will gather at a central staging area and proceed to the designated sites in Louisiana. From that point, trained rescue volunteers will proceed to any location where horses have been spotted and attempt to extricate and transport them to safety, where they will receive medical care from the Louisiana State Veterinarian Office. All efforts will be made to contact the owners. If contact cannot be made, the animals will be transported to another location for recovery.

Habitat for Horses/Lone Start Equine Rescue will operate under the guidance and control of FEMA and the USDA during this operation. This operation is an all-volunteer effort, funded by donations from individuals, companies and organizations around the United States. Individuals with equine experience may join the organization and aid in the relief efforts.

Financial donations are needed to help fund this massive undertaking. Estimates range from several hundred to several thousand horses that are currently lost, injured or in danger. Hay and feed will be needed in large quantities, plus medical supplies such as bandages and antiseptics. Trailers, temporary equine fencing, tarps, buckets new lead ropes and halters are also needed.

Donations of supplies can be made by calling Rose Westover, Emergency Evacuation Coordinator, Habitat for Horses/Lone Star Equine Rescue, Inc. at 713-467-3444 / 713-594-1177 . Her email address is rose@wtshouston.net

Financial donations may be made online at either http://www.lser.org/disasterrelief.htm or
http://www.habitatforhorses.org/getinvo ... tenow.html

Donations can be mailed to Habitat for Horses/Lone Star Equine Rescue, P.O. Box 213, Hitchcock, TX 77563

Habitat for Horses/Lone Star Equine Rescue is a 501.c.3 nonprofit covering bother Texas and Oklahoma with around 1,000 dedicated members. We provide equine rescue services to law enforcement agencies throughout the state of Texas, an active equine adoption program, an equine education center and equine-assisted services to youths and adults. For more information, contact Jerry Finch, President, HfH/LSER, 409-935-0277

Habitat for Horses/Lone Star Equine Rescue
P.O. Box 213
Hitchcock, Texas 77563
Phone: 409-935-0277
Fax: 409-935-0424
Web site: http://www.habitatforhorses.org/
E-mail: admin@habitatforhorses.org

-----------------------------

Horse Rescue Groups Mobilizing Hurricane Relief Effort

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, horse rescue groups are mobilizing to provide assistance to horses and livestock impacted by the devastating storm and are seeking financial support for the effort.
The National Horse Protection Coalition, along with Texas based Habitat for Horses and the Louisiana Equine Council have joined forces to assemble and deliver much needed relief for the animal victims of hurricane Katrina.

The NHPC has secured a donated tractor-trailer that organizers hope will be filled with hay, feed and veterinary supplies for horses and other livestock who have been displaced by the hurricane.

"We are hopeful that our efforts will not only reduce animal suffering, but will also help to reduce any further financial and emotional loss to those affected," said Gail Vacca the Illinois coordinator for the NHPC.

The NHPC is currently seeking donations of hay, straw, horse feed, livestock feed, and veterinary medical supplies which are being gathered in DeKalb, Illinois to be transported to animal welfare organizations who are already set up in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. The loaded truck is scheduled to deliver the supplies in Louisiana as early as Sunday, Vacca said.

"Many of these animals are injured and hungry and in order to ward off any further loss of animal life in the aftermath of this tragedy, we are doing everything we can to get these supplies down to the hardest hit areas as soon as possible," Vacca said.

While Vacca's group is seeking donations of hay, straw, feed, and veterinary medical supplies from those in the DeKalb, Illinois area, others can make financial contributions are also needed and can made online at horseprotection.org or can be mailed to: National Horse Protection Coalition, 16217 State Route 23 , DeKalb, IL 6_0115

LA Equine Council: http://www.laequinecouncil.com
Habitate for Horses: http://www.habitatforhorses.org
National Horse Protection Coalition: http://www.horse-protection.org

-------------------------------------

Have you found a loose horse or an abandonded farm?

SHI is here to help! SHI is a nonprofit offering free services to people with stolen/missing horses. The website is http://www.netposse.com or you can email myself or to Debi Metcalfe, founder, at IdahoNC@aol.com.

We are asking anyone rescuing horses to please contact us with pictures and other info necessary to reunite horses and owners. Currently, we are working on an auxiliary site just for Disaster Relief for Horses. Once the link is available, I will send it. For now, please just gather whatever information you can so that we can begin posting these animals.

We are here for the owners and the horses. Remember, this is a FREE service.

Since SHI does not have a team to send to the area, this is our way of helping so that your crews can concentrate on finding and caring for the horses.

We look forward to working with you during this crisis.

Sincerely,

Angela Kirby
NetPosse Volunteer
AckNetposseVol@aol.com

------------------------------

http://EquineFriends.com
http://RescueNetwork.com
http://2HotToTrot.com
http://StopHorseSlaughter.com

"To be an equestrian in the classical sense is not just to be a rider. It is a position in life."
--Charles de Kunffy</b>
ImageImageImageImage
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I feel bad about human deaths...but there's definitely something about animal deaths that is really sad. I value human life above animal, but for some reason it's almost more sad when a sweet little animal dies than a human. I don't know why...

I hope some of my dogs survived. I know the chances are slim, but I'm still gonna hope. I don't know how I'm gonna be able to go back home and not see those little doggies. :cry:
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

vrikasatma wrote:I'm on the Whisper Syndrome list (horse-centric). We got a post today that compendiumizes a number of relief agencies attempting to aid equine victims of Katrina.....
*large snip*

:o Wow! Lots of great information!

Thanks for posting it.

:)
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

Excelsia wrote:I hope some of my dogs survived. I know the chances are slim, but I'm still gonna hope.
Keep the faith. That's about all you can do at this point.

My thoughts are with you and your pets.
Black Shuck
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Professional Air Guitarist

Post by Black Shuck »

It's so sad to think about all the animals that didn't make it. One of my biggest fears is something bad happening (like a fire or a flood) and not being able to save my pets :( I hope your dogs are ok. My thoughts are with you and the others (animal and human). Best be with you :howl:  :oo
Image<-- Don't Do Crack (character from South Park)
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

The best way to protect your family from the effects of a disaster is to have a disaster plan. If you are a pet owner, that plan must include your pets. Being prepared can save their lives.

Never too late to plan ahead: Be Prepared with a Disaster Plan
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Thanks for your sympathy...I hope this never happens to any of you or your pets. :(
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I got an update from my brother, and as it turns out, all our dogs survived!! I don't know how, but they did! It seems impossible, considering all of our barns blew away and so did our back porch, but I guess those little guys are tougher than I thought!!! Hooray!
NarnianWolfen
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NarnianWolfen »

:o Wow. YAY for you and your pups! *clinghug* That's great! :) Congrats, Ex. Thank goodness.
~Kate

"She should not lock the open door (run away run away run away!), full moon is on the sky and he's not a man anymore...sees the change in him but can't (run away run away run away) see what became out of her man...full moon!"
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I know I'm soooo relieved. I can't believe our good fortune!!
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

Excelsia wrote:I got an update from my brother, and as it turns out, all our dogs survived!! I don't know how, but they did! It seems impossible, considering all of our barns blew away and so did our back porch, but I guess those little guys are tougher than I thought!!! Hooray!
Wonderful!! This is great news! :woof:

If help is needed to care for these pups (or any animals in the effected area for that matter), contact:

The Humane Society of the United States

Amercan Humane

This is not a complete list of organizatons that can help, but I do have some experience with them.

Good luck! :howl:  :oo
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Thank you all so very much!! I hope other people have this much luck with their animals, too!
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

Information coming out of the affected areas can be overwhelming at times. To keep you informed about the work to find and care for the animals at risk in the aftermath of this devastating storm, I reprint logs posted by American Humane’s Animal Emergency Services program manager and veteran volunteer responder Dick Green, in my Personal Forum at The Werewolf Cafe. Read the entries!
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

Lots of great information here. They will be uploading photos and descriptions of rescued pets from the LA SPCA soon.
If you, or someone you know has lost a pet in the hurricane please check this pagefrequently.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I read on the Whisper Syndrome list that equine rescue asociations can't get in yet because there's still violence and snipers at large. FEMA won't let them in until next week.

Dammit! :pissedoff: Not at FEMA, but the bloody rioters...
ImageImageImageImage
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

vrikasatma wrote:I read on the Whisper Syndrome list that equine rescue asociations can't get in yet because there's still violence and snipers at large. FEMA won't let them in until next week.

Dammit! :pissedoff: Not at FEMA, but the bloody rioters...
I'm a jadded Biotch. I say shoot them back, the freaking rioter sniper buttholes!. *growls*

*pins one ear back and walks away irritated*

*returns*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Even if you can't foster any animals personally, pass this along to your vet(s) and local no-kill shelters.)

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/Default.htm

There is transportation provided, with people ready and waiting, for upwards of 200 dogs and 150 cats so far rescued from the devastation of hurricane Katrina. What these animals need is a place to go. Kennels, boarding, vets offices, shelters with any extra space, foster homes and rescues. Even one or two open kennels would greatly help.

From what we know, all animals have been vaccinated and are in good health considering the conditions. There are dogs and cats of every breed and size. Some are in groups of two, three or four, hailing from the same family, while some are solitary. ANY KENNEL SPACE AVAILABLE CAN CERTAINLY BE USED. These drivers are willing to move these animals ANYWHERE they need to go. Absolutely anywhere.

The current safe houses for these animals are being inundated and some of these pets will have to be euthanized if they are not moved to make room for the incoming animals.

Please feel free to pass on this information everywhere. Every forum, every list, every community.

REMEMBER THESE ANIMALS WILL BE TRANSPORTED TO YOU.

If you know anyone, anywhere, that is willing to take in even one cat or dog, please have them contact Lynda at the information provided below.

They are also asking for ANY kind of donations for the animals - money, food, bedding, water, etc.

Please Contact Lynda V. at: 203 515 3024 (cell)
Home: 203 227 5308
Email: Lynda@portone.com

Please contact at any time, day or night. These volunteers, rescuers and shelter workers are working around the clock.
Something I saw on one of the other fourms I go to. I posted this to my LJ in hopes that someof my many LJ friends might be able to help in anyway they can. :/

I'd adopt some if I could.., but my landlord is hardcore "No PETS!" :P grgrgr
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

Thanks for the post. Super information!

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/Default.htm

Heard on the news today that they will be posting photos of recovered pets to this site. Just checked, has not happened yet.

My heart goes out to all the displaced residents and families who have lost or are separated from their loved ones. As the water in New Orleans drains back into Lake Pontchartrain, we mourn for the loss of human life. Reuniting pets with their families is a small way of helping these people rebuild for the future.
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

Unable to let the topic drop, here is my new website.

It covers much of what has already been said here, but the background is much nicer.
8)
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

Yep! Back to the top, again!

The work of American Humane Association Animal Rescue Teams in New Orleans will be featured this Friday, September 16, at 9 pm Eastern on an Animal Planet special "Animal Heroes."

Be there. Aloha! (or record it - whatever)
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Aww, I don't get Animal Planet any more.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Akugarou wrote:Yep! Back to the top, again!

The work of American Humane Association Animal Rescue Teams in New Orleans will be featured this Friday, September 16, at 9 pm Eastern on an Animal Planet special "Animal Heroes."

Be there. Aloha! (or record it - whatever)
Cool, I'll be watching.
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

Shelter and veterinary services urgently needed!

The United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) requests the assistance of anyone who has the space, licensed veterinary expertise and tenderness of heart to help the equine refugees of Hurricane Katrina. USEF has compiled a state-by-state listing of facilities and individuals volunteering veterinary services and shelter for these animals. This will serve as a master list to help horse owners in Katrina’s path find help.

Please visit USEF online to download this list.

- If you have a facility or pasture that you can offer to house refugee horses and ponies, please send your name, address, phone number and email address to kcadams@usef.org or call (859) 225-6993. Please email if possible, as USEF expects a heavy load of calls.

- If you can volunteer veterinary services, please send your name, address, phone number and email address to kcadams@usef.org or call (859) 225-6993. Please email if possible, as USEF expects a heavy load of calls.

- Equine organizations wishing to assist the effort and link to USEF’s list should also email kcadams@usef.org.

- Louisiana State University has set up a Horse Hurricane Hotline for calls about stranded horses at (225) 578-9501.
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Akugarou »

This item just came to my attention:

Members of Congress have been calling on President Bush and the federal agencies to actively assist with direct animal rescue. With most of the human victims of the catastrophe removed from the city, it’s not too late to save animals’ lives. It’s time for the government to recognize the incredible bond between people and their pets, and step in to help.

I'm asking for forum members help on this. Here is a quick and easy way to let government officials know, they need to help the remaining stranded pets and animals now:

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/kat ... ntresponse
Last edited by Akugarou on Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

I'm glad your pets survied and that you made it out as well :D
Last edited by Teh_DarkJokerWolf on Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.