what would you do with it?

The place for anything at all...
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

It's easy to imagine various amusing situations and hypothetical timelines, but when you get down to it, the real world is so complex a thing that it's hard to factor in everything, especially when lycanthropy itself is an unknown. Even if it's everything we daydream and nothing like the horror movies, we wouldn't know that going in.

So, truth is, I haven't the foggiest idea what I'd do.

Some of you have already hinted at how it could lead you to suicide. And (I'm hoping anyway) if none of you have any actual plans on doing yourself in, our conjecture demonstrates the human psychology of dealing with changes. (Werewolves would indeed be the star example of dealing with changes.) Change is stressful. I doubt most of us really would be up to risking exposure, captivity, leaks, or possibly even the fate of humanity just to do a practical joke on some friends. It's at the very least going to involve a lot of soul-searching, and you can almost count on it disrupting your life, forcing you to have to give up a lot of what you know.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
[arpegiuswolf]
Legendary
Legendary

Post by [arpegiuswolf] »

Personaly...if I became a Werewolf...there would be alot of "Unexplained animal attacks" in my area...there are so many people that I hate beyond reason...People I hate so much that I'd rejoice at their death....

Even though I'm human...i have bitten and snarled at people for calling me names...I've been known to randomly howl...so if the random animal attacks and werewolf sightings started...I would probably be the first one targeted...

Though...I think my friends would be OK with it...they are all into the whole Horror movie creatures thing...mostly Vampires though...
:( I made my brian hurt...ARGH!!! :shift:
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

I wouldn't hurt anybody because that would just prove that your no better then they were to you.....I had a lot of bullies in schoool that deserve to suffer like I did, and back then I wanted to do something to them, but I would do it now even if I could....If I could confront anybody that every hurt me here is what I'd do: I would shift in front of them and say," You can't hurt me anymore, I won't let you!!! and then howl my lungs out, look at them then run away and start a new and hopefully joyful life :D
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Write and direct a low-budget werewolf movie, star as the werewolf, and win the Oscar for best special effects.

Or worst case scenario: if too many people make fun of the werewolf in my movie the same way we do Darkwolf and Fangface, sell all my earthly posessions and donate everything I made off of them to any wolf park or wildlife sanctuary that can accept one more wolf into the program (me) and never come out of full-wolf form again.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

This kills me...

Post by Scott Gardener »

Simply disliking or even outright hating someone is not really a justification for murdering them. So what if someone causes you to get demoted, break up with your boyfriend or girlfriend, or steals your car. These are things that create setbacks in life, and some of them even warrant some sort of intervention. But, come on, do they really warrant killing? Murder? Work place politics is a complex thing, but a good opportunist can expose the flaws of an adversary in an embarrassing way. A breakup with a life partner is ultimately because of a flaw in the relationship itself; if someone can catalyze it, there's already a flaw there. And, as for the hypothetical stolen car, if you can identify the perpetrator, you can file charges.

There are better fixes to life problems than the death of everyone standing in your way. Sheer brute force is an inefficient way to solve problems; it generates other problems in the process. Suppose there is indeed news about a ravenous killer wolf out there. There would be a hunt for that wolf, combined with public fear. In the process, innocent wolf-like animals such as stray dogs would get killed in the process. Not to mention the effect it would have on the human psyche of the area, setting back causes like wolf recovery.

If it were a killer, I would not need lycanthropy to do it, either. A lot of murders go unsolved in spite of modern forensic technology. A good, effective killer needs intellect and a disturbing psychopathic mind-set. There are plenty of non-lycanthropic ones out there in our world today. We elect many of them as our leaders.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Scott's got it right on. Nothing warrants murder; if you honestly think that's the sort of thing you'd do, you need to see a psychologist. Quickly.

On to the not-quite-so-serious aspects. As terribly tempting as it would be, I wouldn't go around scaring people; simply too risky. Even as a werewolf, I'd be no superman, and it could be HARD to dissapear if, say, someone with a flashlight shows up unexpectedly. Assuming that I didn't know how I'd contracted lycanthropy (otherwise I'd already be hanging with the pack), the first thing for me to do would be some long, careful, thought as to what this meant for me and humanity as a whole. A first issue to deal with would be solitarity. In the interest of my own mental health, I would immidiatley begin searching for someone whom I could trust to give lycanthropy to, and who would willingly accept it. My friends, while likely appreciative of it (I have no normal friends :) ), would probably not be the best choice; there's a serious question of reliability, and the ability to look at things from a wholly serious, logical viewpoint. I know almost for sure at least one of them would do just the opposite, and proceed to terrorize the community. As cold as it may sound for me to say this, I suspect my parents would be even less trustworthy; neither are the most stable under normal circumstances, and after living with them for my entire life I have no idea how they'd react, past that I'm sure it wouldn't be positive or helpful. In fact, chances are I'd end up 'dissapearing', perhaps with some note that I was fine to keep them from getting too worried. Not that it would work very well. Even so, the sanity of two can be sacraficed for the wellbeing of the race. From there, my search would pass onto the 'net, where I'd try to find someone, somewhere, who would both happily share the condition and act as a sort of check, each of us keeping the other from becoming insane. I'm not altogether sure how I'd go about this, as it would be VERY hard to find someone who lived near enough to get into face-to-face contact with, as I'm sure I'd find it all but impossible, not to mention useless, to convince anyone remotely, and anyone willing to fly out to seattle to check some random person's claim of p-shifting would probably not be the sane, logical, realistic, and moral companion I had in mind. From that point, assuming the agreement of my companion, the next step would be to find somewhere in the wilderness that's nice and isolated to learn to live off the land in, and think on things over the course of the next few years. From there, who can say?

Heh. When a topic catches my interest, I really do go off on long posts :P
Sanity is relative.
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

Just enjoy being a wolf and oh yeah can't forget about the cheating old boyfriends :femshft
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Ralith Lupus wrote: Heh. When a topic catches my interest, I really do go off on long posts :P

I've seen longer. :P
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

If I had the ability to become a werewolf, my life would be the same and yet very different. Already being a "secretive" person that keeps to myself, it wouldn't be hard to hide the fact from everyone. And that's what I'd do. I wouldn't shift in front of people or tell anyone about it except my future wife, and maybe a very close friend or two. I also wouldn't go and bite a lot of people, just a few who want to be werewolves (if then).

Where I already live is the perfect place for me. Plenty of open space and forest up in the mountains behind my house (deer hunting, exploring the world as a wolf), and yet close to all the human stuff too. I wouldn't change my human habits (living in a house, having a job, surfing the net, being religious, etc) because I see a werewolf as having the best of both worlds. I would shift mostly in the mountains, but also in my house if nobody was there.

Stuff I'd do includes going around the neighborhood and places in wolf form as a disguise (I'd probably pass as just a big dog), maybe "dress up" as a werewolf for Halloween, :evil: and shift only parts of myself when needed (to make my muscles bigger, improve hearing, etc).

Other than that, I would just enjoy the endurance and enhanced senses of a wolf and being a big, furry werewolf like I've wanted for so long!

(hows that for a long post?) :D
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Lazywolf wrote:(hows that for a long post?) :D
On a scale:

One word
One sentence
Tiny
Small
Nearing medium <-- You are here
Medium
Getting there
Long
Really long
Super long
Scott Gardener's Hurricane Log

:lol:

-- Vilkacis
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Gaaa I must fill up the meter!!! ok so do I get the one sentence label for this? oh wait this is 3.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Evil One
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Re: Lycanthropy has touched the life of someone you know

Post by Evil One »

Scott Gardener wrote: Option three, I give it out liberally. In this option, after enough thought, I decide that humanity needs a good shake-up and decide to go ahead and infect everybody I can. I'd post my address on here and invite anyone and everyone to come and visit, though I wouldn't neccessarily try to convince you that it was to get bitten and become a werewolf. (I wouldn't expect anyone of reasonable intelligence to believe up front another "I'm a p-shifter" post, even if it were true. Though I might jokingly hint at it and post a real photograph for the sake of tantilizing.)

Then again, in only a few weeks, or maybe a month or so, you'd start to hear about a rash of werewolf sightings anyway, and the lid would soon be blown wide open, at which time I'd be able to come forward officially. You wouldn't nave to come to me, as other werewolves would also start surfacing. Indeed, it would only take a few years before lycanthropy came to you, regardless of where you live--even those of you on the other side of the planet from me.
That would probably cause more harm than good in the long run. Now you have 6 billion WW runnig around wanting to hunt and have large open spaces to do so in. This could cause a number of problems:

1. Game and land would eventually run out that would lead to
A: Eventual extinction of large numbers of wild animals.
B: Fights and possible wars over land and hunting rights.
C: Return to our current way of life but more hair and shorter tempers

2. The self-centered and generally mean-spirited nature of most people. Some people have mentioned killing certain people. While i'm sure most are joking there are those people that would kill indiscriminately and would (in theory) be unstoppable because of the benefits of becoming a WW. ie: regeneration.

3. We all know that not everyone would be all that accepting of this and that certain groups *cough*overlyreligiouszealots*cough* would try to eliminate it at all costs either through outright extermination or forced confinement to a certain area (both of which could also lead to a large scale battle if enough WW and WW sympathizers are around to carry out said attack).

P.S. yeah I know I'm coming in late on this topic but I haven't had time to check this thing for a while.
"We may be human but we're still animals"
-Steve Vai
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I feel like adding an amendemt to what i said: if i REALLY got it, i wouldn't knwo what to do. i'd think about it a bunch, becuase if i didn't know what type it was, i'd be scared- is it teh hiary-monkey kind? the bloodthirsy killing kind? the gentile my-universe-type kind? i wpuldn't know.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

That is a really hard question if you think beyond the obvious shallow implications. That's such an extreme change that I really can't say how I would react. I have no idea. :?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Yeah, all I know is that the first 10 minutes or so would be dumbfounded shock as I stare at myself.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

That's pretty much the only thing I can say for sure too.
Wolveblade
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: lone wolf

Post by Wolveblade »

i would prolly try to get people to know the nobility of a werewolf not all of them are bad...... then again the angry villagers from the frankenstein movies have made a point humans tend to band together to kill something they dont understand
let no sacred place in your territory be violated
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Rethinking things a little, I realize that Scott's got a point (again :P ), and I really can't say what I'd do, past finding someone to discuss it with.
Sanity is relative.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

If someone told you that werewolves exist...

(eye expands to yellow...)

Would you believe?

"Hold out your hand, and I'll show you."

And if you knew for sure...

"Break it off with her Jack..."

Would you become one?

"They're kind of furry, all over their bodies..."

And if you did...

"We have a problem."

...Then what?

"Uh... OK. Mr. Gardener, your resume looks good. But, this part about hunting caribou... Would you care to elaborate?"

"Well, uh, no. Not really."

"OK, I think I've heard all I needed." (slams notebook.)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:If someone told you that werewolves exist...

(eye expands to yellow...)

Would you believe?

"Hold out your hand, and I'll show you."

And if you knew for sure...

"Break it off with her Jack..."

Would you become one?

"They're kind of furry, all over their bodies..."

And if you did...

"We have a problem."

...Then what?

"Uh... OK. Mr. Gardener, your resume looks good. But, this part about hunting caribou... Would you care to elaborate?"

"Well, uh, no. Not really."

"OK, I think I've heard all I needed." (slams notebook.)

Somebody has been watching the Freeborn teaser WAY to many times. :D
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Hehe. I notice a few flaws in the recitation psat the deliberate modifications, but let's not get into that.

I can imagine one might to particularily well as some sort of cop, what with being able to shift subtly for added muscle mass and improved senses, and ye'd be perfectly placed to interfere with any werewolf investigations if ye messed up and got sighted.
Sanity is relative.
Celestialwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werewolf at Heart
Additional Details: Used to be Lazywolf

Post by Celestialwolf »

Vilkacis wrote: On a scale:

One word
One sentence
Tiny
Small
Nearing medium <-- You are here
Medium
Getting there
Long
Really long
Super long
Scott Gardener's Hurricane Log
-- Vilkacis
What the... compared to the Hurricane post, mine was nothing! Man that was a long one! I guess the one I did was just longer than usual for me as I like to try and keep it to the point.
Founder, Werewolves At Heart group.
--
My DeviantArt profile and Character Sheet
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I've got a reputation to uphold.

And, to keep this from being a one-liner, throwing off my average numbers, I'll now quote from Shakespeare's Henry VIII, Act V, Scene i:

ACT V
SCENE I
London. A gallery in the palace.

Enter GARDINER, Bishop of Winchester, a Page with atorch before him, met by LOVELL

GARDINER: It's one o'clock, boy, is't not?

Boy: It hath struck.

GARDINER: These should be hours for necessities,
Not for delights; times to repair our nature
With comforting repose, and not for us
To waste these times. Good hour of night, Sir Thomas!
Whither so late?

LOVELL: Came you from the king, my lord

GARDINER: I did, Sir Thomas: and left him at primero
With the Duke of Suffolk.

LOVELL: I must to him too,
Before he go to bed. I'll take my leave.

GARDINER: Not yet, Sir Thomas Lovell. What's the matter?
It seems you are in haste: an if there be
No great offence belongs to't, give your friend
Some touch of your late business: affairs, that walk,
As they say spirits do, at midnight, have
In them a wilder nature than the business
That seeks dispatch by day.

LOVELL: My lord, I love you;
And durst commend a secret to your ear
Much weightier than this work. The queen's in labour,
They say, in great extremity; and fear'd
She'll with the labour end.

GARDINER: The fruit she goes with
I pray for heartily, that it may find
Good time, and live: but for the stock, Sir Thomas,
I wish it grubb'd up now.

LOVELL: Methinks I could
Cry the amen; and yet my conscience says
She's a good creature, and, sweet lady, does
Deserve our better wishes.

GARDINER: But, sir, sir,
Hear me, Sir Thomas: you're a gentleman
Of mine own way; I know you wise, religious;
And, let me tell you, it will ne'er be well,
'Twill not, Sir Thomas Lovell, take't of me,
Till Cranmer, Cromwell, her two hands, and she,
Sleep in their graves.

LOVELL: Now, sir, you speak of two
The most remark'd i' the kingdom. As for Cromwell,
Beside that of the jewel house, is made master
O' the rolls, and the king's secretary; further, sir,
Stands in the gap and trade of moe preferments,
With which the time will load him. The archbishop
Is the king's hand and tongue; and who dare speak
One syllable against him?

GARDINER: Yes, yes, Sir Thomas,
There are that dare; and I myself have ventured
To speak my mind of him: and indeed this day,
Sir, I may tell it you, I think I have
Incensed the lords o' the council, that he is,
For so I know he is, they know he is,
A most arch heretic, a pestilence
That does infect the land: with which they moved
Have broken with the king; who hath so far
Given ear to our complaint, of his great grace
And princely care foreseeing those fell mischiefs
Our reasons laid before him, hath commanded
To-morrow morning to the council-board
He be convented. He's a rank weed, Sir Thomas,
And we must root him out. From your affairs
I hinder you too long: good night, Sir Thomas.

LOVELL: Many good nights, my lord: I rest your servant.

Exeunt GARDINER and Page

(hey, I could have cut and pasted the whole thing.)
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Scott Gardener wrote:I've got a reputation to uphold.

<snip>
Do I need to make a pointlessness scale, too?

-- Vilkacis
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I'd probably try to hook up with some other werewolves and see what we'd do.

Probably wouldn't kill anyone, but scaring (or at least freaking) is always fun :)

I'd like to join you in your deer hunt, Reilune :) Hey, we even have elk and bighorn sheep here in Oregon. Why stop at deer? Let's trip over to Maine and snag us a moose.

Otherwise, I'd be like a kid with a new toy, I'd probably practice shifting until I had it down to an art and a science. I'd probably score some enhancements, go to gestalt and see what effect they had on that form's biochemistry, just for the kicks. I'd probably start doing some rituals to see if my obviously enhanced spirit would have any effect. Why don't I just admit it? I'd try to step sideways, dammit! :D

Assuming I had regeneration/healing powers I'd most likely purge my system of the cancer, make bloody sure it won't come back.

Don't know if I'd tell anyone. I do have some people in my extended family who I could trust with a secret like that.
ImageImageImageImage