When not a Wolf

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Mitternacht
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

When not a Wolf

Post by Mitternacht »

One thing that kind of bothers me about Werewolves in the movies is that they are Perfect. By that I mean my pet peeve is that people arent all runway models, yet in Most films, Werewolves are sleek, stylish, perfect by Classical Greek standards people. If I were a shape shifter, the last thign I woudl want to do is attract attention to myself by tuning heads every time I entered a room.

I cheer every time I watch the howling and there is a Werewolf with a gut and another hunched over from old age.

I mean I can understand that , what with the ability to regenerate , that there might be a difference in the pre and post bitten person, but I dont see any benifit in going from bumpy human to super model Werewolf. I think , personally, that Werewolves woud look as humans, the full gambit of human body types.

what do you think?
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

In WW:tA it pretty much worked that way, the human body type was carried over to the werewolf one, albeit with a muscle increase of course.

That works for me, a range of body types makes it more believeable as well. One with a permenant limp would be interesting, what would be strong enough to permently injure a werewolf ?
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Whipper snappers!

Post by Scott Gardener »

What you've encountered is not so much a cliche with werewolves as a cliche with Hollywood in its entirity. Their lead characters are almost invariably a fixed archetype of "attractive," which means being aged in the early twenties and being physically fit--in women, even underweight. No one wears glasses except characters like Harry Potter, where they're used as a specific point to distinguish a character, usually as a nerd type. Ever notice that in movies, company executives, lawyers, and doctors are in their twenties? In the real world, you have to be at least 29 to be out of medical school and residency, and no one that young can be without years of work the president of a corporation!
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Scott's got it nailed -- it's more or less Hollywood's preference for young and attractive actors than a stereotype of werewolves. Watch any classic dick flick and you'll see what I'm talking about -- the only people that are fat and bald are either annoying extras or King Pin style villains.

I agree that werewolves would have a closer resemblance to their human selves, but on the same note, lycanthropy would also show some affect on their human forms. We already have multiple discussions, for example, regarding lycanthropy and wether or not it counteracts the symptoms of aging. If it did, for example, anyone over fifty that was infected would probably start feeling young again.

Also, if the werewolf lifestyle is as active and as dangerous as other discussions have lead me to believe, it wouldn't be likely that a werewolf could expect to keep his wide load for very long. I'm not saying a werewolf couldn't become overweight -- just that the werewolf lifestyle would encourage them otherwise.

Of course, both of those are based on a "what if," but at any rate, the werewolf lifestyle should definitely reflect on their human sides as well.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Terastas wrote:Scott's got it nailed -- it's more or less Hollywood's preference for young and attractive actors than a stereotype of werewolves. Watch any classic dick flick and you'll see what I'm talking about -- the only people that are fat and bald are either annoying extras or King Pin style villains.
Hollywood always has it where the good guy is always fit and attractive. Male or female. Some actors are "born" to play a certain part. I can't remember who, but I've seen the same actor play a villain in several movies.

Terastas wrote:I agree that werewolves would have a closer resemblance to their human selves, but on the same note, lycanthropy would also show some affect on their human forms. We already have multiple discussions, for example, regarding lycanthropy and wether or not it counteracts the symptoms of aging. If it did, for example, anyone over fifty that was infected would probably start feeling young again.
Feeling young, yes. Looking young, ummm..probably not.
Terastas wrote:Also, if the werewolf lifestyle is as active and as dangerous as other discussions have lead me to believe, it wouldn't be likely that a werewolf could expect to keep his wide load for very long. I'm not saying a werewolf couldn't become overweight -- just that the werewolf lifestyle would encourage them otherwise.
A werewolf can't become overweight. With that high metabolism, how can one store fat?

Terastas wrote:Of course, both of those are based on a "what if," but at any rate, the werewolf lifestyle should definitely reflect on their human sides as well.

If one was born as a werewolf, of course. It will reflect on their human side.

But one that was bitten will have to accept what has happened to him/her. He/she may not want the werewolf lifestyle to reflect on the human side.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

As far as weight goes, there were overweight werewolves in W:TA. There human forms showed the weight, but there werewolf forms while a bit larger than other werewolves it was mostly hidden due to the all the muscle and fur.

I read one story where a guy had to eat a lot to fuel his shapeshifting every full moon cycle, so he constantly fluctuated between fat and thin. He would be normal weight right after a change and then he would slowly start adding on weight until the full moon again.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:As far as weight goes, there were overweight werewolves in W:TA. There human forms showed the weight, but there werewolf forms while a bit larger than other werewolves it was mostly hidden due to the all the muscle and fur.

I read one story where a guy had to eat a lot to fuel his shapeshifting every full moon cycle, so he constantly fluctuated between fat and thin. He would be normal weight right after a change and then he would slowly start adding on weight until the full moon again.

huh? :? Great, just great. People sure come up with strange ideas.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:As far as weight goes, there were overweight werewolves in W:TA. There human forms showed the weight, but there werewolf forms while a bit larger than other werewolves it was mostly hidden due to the all the muscle and fur.

Scientifically and biologically, it actually makes alot of sense. It's not that strange.
...it only seems strange because we are so used to taking for granted where all the energy and extra body mass comes from for a shift.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Figarou wrote:

Scientifically and biologically, it actually makes alot of sense. It's not that strange.
...it only seems strange because we are so used to taking for granted where all the energy and extra body mass comes from for a shift.

But eating allot of food to fuel his shift?

I can see it now.

*munch* *munch* *gulp* :shift:

"Ahh, I'm a werewolf again."

*looks down and sees his legs are still in human form*

"Darn!! I didn't eat enough!!"
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:But eating allot of food to fuel his shift?

I can see it now.

*munch* *munch* *gulp* :shift:

"Ahh, I'm a werewolf again."

*looks down and sees his legs are still in human form*

"Darn!! I didn't eat enough!!"
Well yeah...If you think about it like that, it IS very strange, but I don't think it was meant like that. It's more like...the WW eats enough to gain weight in a months time, and then burns all the extra weight off by shifting into wolf form and shifting again back in to human form, reducing his weight drastically, and then he starts over again. Transforming burns ALOT of calories. If you don't bulk-up first, you will end up shriveled like an anorixic, and weak.

*shapeshifting...the ULTIMATE weight loss program.* :wink:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote: Well yeah...If you think about it like that, it IS very strange, but I don't think it was meant like that. It's more like...the WW eats enough to gain weight in a months time, and then burns all the extra weight off by shifting into wolf form and shifting again back in to human form, reducing his weight drastically, and then he starts over again. Transforming burns ALOT of calories. If you don't bulk-up first, you will end up shriveled like an anorixic, and weak.

*shapeshifting...the ULTIMATE weight loss program.* :wink:

So, shifting burns allot of calories. That I can agree with. But exactly how much? 30% of his body weight? more?

N E who. I rather have the werewolf replenish his hunger as a wolf on the hunt for deer. Not like a bear preparing for winter as a human. I still say its odd.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:So, shifting burns allot of calories. That I can agree with. But exactly how much? 30% of his body weight? more?

N E who. I rather have the werewolf replenish his hunger as a wolf on the hunt for deer. Not like a bear preparing for winter as a human. I still say its odd.
It's logical that they would satisfy their hunger in wolf form, but it's not logical if they accomplish this in human form? What happens if they shift and there are no deer, or any significant source of meat around to fill themselves on?

Your logic seems illogical to me. I thought we were trying to steer AWAY from the "bloodthirsty", Meat Crazed Werewolf. And yet, now you sugest that they would usually go out and devour live flesh every time they shift into wolf form... I think you should reconsider that.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Figarou wrote:So, shifting burns allot of calories. That I can agree with. But exactly how much? 30% of his body weight? more?

It's logical that they would satisfy their hunger in wolf form, but it's not logical if they accomplish this in human form? What happens if they shift and there are no deer, or any significant source of meat around to fill themselves on?

Your logic seems illogical to me. I thought we were trying to steer AWAY from the "bloodthirsty", Meat Crazed Werewolf. And yet, now you sugest that they would usually go out and devour live flesh every time they shift into wolf form... I think you should reconsider that.

Nevermind.

There's a Pizza Hut in the corner. Care for some meat lover's pizza? And for dessert, blueberry pie!! lck
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:Nevermind.

There's a Pizza Hut in the corner. Care for some meat lover's pizza? And for dessert, blueberry pie!! lck
I'm so there... :wink:

"...another slice of pizza please. ...and pass me some of that pie."

...MMMMMmmmm...PIE... lck
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:

I'm so there... :wink:

"...another slice of pizza please. ...and pass me some of that pie."

...MMMMMmmmm...PIE... lck
Here, have some more. You look like you need plenty to eat for your next shift. :lol:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

*takes a slice of pie* There's no coconut in this, is there?
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Terastas wrote:

No, that would be the German chocolate pie.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Terastas wrote:

No, that would be the German chocolate pie.
Didn't know German chocolate pie had coconut. Gotta get me some of that!! lck
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

As far as being overweight when first turned a person would lose it all in a short period of time due to werewolf's fast matabolism,.... just a thought from the new guy.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Noa wrote:As far as being overweight when first turned a person would lose it all in a short period of time due to werewolf's fast matabolism,.... just a thought from the new guy.
OK, lets put some logic into this.

What happens to an overweight person when they lose allot of weight? They have allot of skin thats stretched out.

Sooooo...when an overweight person becomes a werewolf and loses all that weight, that werewolf is going to look like a Chinese Shar-Pei!! :o
Stone Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Stone Wolf »

Not necessarily, the werewolf's regenerative abilities would make sure that any unnecessary skin and such would make their skin fits propperly....

.... I don't mean to start an argument I'm just saying....
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Noa wrote:Not necessarily, the werewolf's regenerative abilities would make sure that any unnecessary skin and such would make their skin fits propperly....

.... I don't mean to start an argument I'm just saying....

Sooo....a 500 pound human can look slim and trim when he becomes a werewolf?

Thats got to be one major shift going on. :hsup
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

It would depend on the human. The human form owuld affect the wolf form, naturally.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Terastas »

This is getting weird, and honestly all this talk of werewolf metabolism seems to be doing is explaining why all the she-wolves look like supermodels.

"I lost 245 lbs in one one night! Thanks lycanthropy!" hwlwnk
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:lol: I'm just saying it carries over. Being a fat wolf isn't eaxtly survival tactics...