Roleplaying.. is it being killed by video games?

From Tabletop to Larping.
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Roleplaying.. is it being killed by video games?

Post by Searif »

this has to do with a topic I posted awhile saying that I was quite annoyed at the fact that RPG video games are taking over, well today I got annoyed by that once again.. while searching "online(forum) role playing" it popped up with rants like this and, would you have guessed, forums for RPG video games

I knew a website that let people easily set up roleplaying forums but either its dead or very distant from me, I knew its name at one time by now im lost as to what it might be

once again I set you a small call of despair asking for good forum roleplaying sites, any one will do just stick them here and have a short description of it
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

I agree, the casual gamer will not RP in an RPG video game, rather ironic isn't it?
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Searif »

Akela wrote:I agree, the casual gamer will not RP in an RPG video game, rather ironic isn't it?
most of them do not even know what roleplaying means because they are idoitic 7-12 year olds.... who ruin the experience especially on online games
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Roleplaying.. is it being killed by video games?

Post by Vilkacis »

Searif Bogard wrote:once again I set you a small call of despair asking for good forum roleplaying sites, any one will do just stick them here and have a short description of it
Not being one who frequents roleplaying sites (although I might in the future), I can't tell you if any of these places are good, but the following site has a list of over 100 roleplaying forums:

http://www.gamewyrd.com/others/Online_Roleplaying/Forum

Most of them are probably small or dead, but I think you'll probably be able to find some good ones in there. If you explore the site further, you'll also find links to some roleplaying chatrooms and some play by mail games.

A Google search for 'roleplaying forums' also turned up a fair number of hits and, although a few were for video games, a fair number of the ones on the first page looked like the right kind of thing.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

-- Vilkacis
Searif
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Roleplaying.. is it being killed by video games?

Post by Searif »

Vilkacis wrote:
Searif Bogard wrote:once again I set you a small call of despair asking for good forum roleplaying sites, any one will do just stick them here and have a short description of it
Not being one who frequents roleplaying sites (although I might in the future), I can't tell you if any of these places are good, but the following site has a list of over 100 roleplaying forums:

http://www.gamewyrd.com/others/Online_Roleplaying/Forum

Most of them are probably small or dead, but I think you'll probably be able to find some good ones in there. If you explore the site further, you'll also find links to some roleplaying chatrooms and some play by mail games.

A Google search for 'roleplaying forums' also turned up a fair number of hits and, although a few were for video games, a fair number of the ones on the first page looked like the right kind of thing.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

-- Vilkacis
yes, im sure with google you could find the site gaia online, its a good roleplaying site if you can find a roleplay that is free of noobs((or has barely any)), im part of the site myself and infact I am roleplaying on it right as we speak
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Nothing against RPG video games, but I can understand your sentiments. A lot of people I know think a RPG is defined purely by a combat system that is turn-based and numerical.

Uh... No. See that part right at the beginning where it asks for my name? Bingo!
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Heh... I still do most roleplaying in person if possible, whether under my own system (because the system rarely matters - it's more on the players and the GM / DM that makes the game fun.

You ever try to roleplay with a book? It ain't fun. The most you can get the book to do is bounce your dice off of it. That's about it. Roleplaying is about people. While I don't game as much as I'd like, it is a passion of mine that will be left for the times when I don't have to work as much to earn my paycheck.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

RPG video games may be drowning out the search engines, but tabletop gaming is alive and well. Though I still haven't been able to play much myself, I've got friends in Austin who do it like clockwork.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...