Super Hi-Vision

The place for anything at all...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Super Hi-Vision

Post by Figarou »

OMG!! I can't believe this!! Japan already has something better than HDTV!!!

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/show ... =173402762

Regular TV offers 704 x 480 resolution, and HDTV tops out at 1920 x 1080 (1080p). Super Hi-Vision has an eye-popping 7680 x 4320 pixel resolution!!!

We haven't even fully upgraded to high-definition yet and we're ALREADY behind!!!!!

:jawdrop:
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

Good for them.

They call it next generation because that's how long it will take to save up for it.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Akela wrote:Good for them.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Damn!! I still havent got HDTV yet and I was waiting till it gets cheaper!! And now your telling me that they already have something better!!! AAHHHHHH!!!
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

No Shadow Wulf,

they haven't it yet. They only have a prototype of that it could possibly be in distand future.
Alone to install the infrastructure to provide the necessary transfere rate of data is a very wide shot. So I think upgrading to HDTV in the near future is a save thing. :wink:
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Akela
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Glimmerwaik

Post by Akela »

It can only be a good thing, after all the current High Definition TV's will dramatically reduce in price.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Re: Super Hi-Vision

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:We haven't even fully upgraded to high-definition yet and we're ALREADY behind!!!!!

:jawdrop:
Not really. They state in the article that that technology isn't in production (broadcast technology that takes 3GB/sec of bandwidth is not production.) Hell, they barely go as far as to state that it's in development.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

We talked of things today in class like this. The aging mechanism in things.

As someone in anthropology I know that each part in it makes it whole. A good example is archeology. And in archeology, what is important? Age. The older, the better. Not so with modern day elements, however.

The lecture of today was probably not befitting of a lot of people... Being told our customs were shallow, pre-destined purchases and our expenditures of time were placed on the right of ritual. Constant market ritual.

But for a lot of us we are caught in the stem of mankinds 'ritualistic' aging of items no matter what. This is our world. Our constant marketing for 'the better' ... Electronics and technologies are lost in the constant race to make things 'better'.

Humanity has this fantasy of some paradise that doesn't exist, this 'better'. It's like the phrase 'the good old days', referancing to a 'simpler' time ... But no time is truly simple. And the concept of 'better' is a scale depending on how WE make it. That's a LOT of differentials.

But in the end we all know everyone's iPod and MP3 Player will be outdone, in the future, by some other format or style of what-have you. And each element of these things we know, will disappear. Because they are a ticking time-bomb. All things lay to waste, but these are pre-destined for that not technically by their own uselessness, however. It has to do when something else shows up to take it's place.

It's like when a dog chases his tail. A never-ending cycle, even after he 'catches' that tail. It will start again. But only because the DOG chases his tail is this applicable. He can choose not to. He can realize it's his tail he's chasing -- but sometimes it's boredom and sometimes it's classical or opperant conditioning that makes him do it. That old treat he ate; what about a new one, you say?

This brings to light a lot of other scholarly rambles -- but the idealism of technology is merely a smiles worth to swallow:

Always anticipate the upgrade.
[spoiler]
I'm a Nerd![/spoiler]
Koshaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Duckinator

Post by Koshaw »

Remember, Japan had HDTV since uh what late 1980's???

Stupid companies here cant decide on formats :P and because of this we will ALWAYS be behind in the USA :P
ImageImage
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Koshaw wrote:Remember, Japan had HDTV since uh what late 1980's???

Stupid companies here cant decide on formats :P and because of this we will ALWAYS be behind in the USA :P
Actually its the public, not companies.

When a company puts out a new format, the public must accept it. If they don't, then that format will die. I remember when DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) came out. Hardly anyone bought it. Minidisc is the same way. I don't see that many Minidisc players at Best Buy. DAT is another format that came and went.

I remember seeing a widescreen TV long before HDTV. There was no high demand for it because most of the programing is 4X3. The only benefit is watching a widescreen movie from a Laserdisc.

DVD has open the door for HDTV in North America. I'm glad the public is accepting this new format. If the public doesn't buy it, it'll die like the other formats.
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

Here I don't agree with you, Figarou. Almost it's the fault of the companies. DAT died because the companies couldn't come to terms. The reason was the ability of making looseless copies of media. They decided to put in a quantum of loosing quality per copy. This made the DAT principle obsolete. And that's why the public doesn't accepted it.

I remember a video system called Beta 2000, which was much better than VHS. The public doesn't eccept it because of a better marketing strategy of the companies, which wanted their system distributed. Yeah, the laws of economy.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Koshaw
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Duckinator

Post by Koshaw »

Sony Beta is STILL used 3/4 inch to 1.5 inch I believe in the movie industry only...damn good. Quality is THE best heh...but no consumer models unless you got lots of bux/contacts.

=)

Maybe we are both right..Public and Companies gotta get their acts together...
ImageImage
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Curan wrote:Here I don't agree with you, Figarou. Almost it's the fault of the companies. DAT died because the companies couldn't come to terms. The reason was the ability of making looseless copies of media. They decided to put in a quantum of loosing quality per copy. This made the DAT principle obsolete. And that's why the public doesn't accepted it.

The digital copyright act is born.

Yes, I know.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Super-Duper Definition DVD

Post by Scott Gardener »

On dead formats:

Sony is quite possibly personally (well, corporately) responsible for the death of many formats. They adamantly insist on their own proprietary systems, facing off against competing formats rather than adopting them. I'm surprised the Memory Stick is still around, except that they're letting other companies make Memory Stick readers. Sony made the Beta VCR, which technologically was superior to VHS. But, they wouldn't let anyone else make Beta VCRs. Sony also makes the MiniDisc; no one else did for a long time. Sony finally let go and let others have at it, but not until after CD-Rs had already taken the industries by storm, at much lower prices.

Ironically, Sony was also the first to put out a combined DVD+ and -R writer, making the end of the DVD+/-R format war as unending and eternal as the "war on terrorism."

I remember seeing a DCC recorder at Radio Shack for $800, back in the late eighties. There was no way I could afford one then, but I looked forward to seeing that format catch on. Still, I'm happier with recordable CDs.

One format I'd like to see get recognized better is the physical form factor of the small CD. Thankfully my car's CD player is one of the few that handles them, so I can put about three hours worth of music on mp3 format on a CD only three inches in diameter. Very nice and convenient.

On HDerTV:

There's a point of diminishing returns. If you're paying the same price or only a little more for a Super-Duper Definition DVD, (SDD-DVD), then maybe. But, I don't see a reason to have something with a resolution higher than my own eyes, unless I plan on building an IMAX home theater. HD-DVD / Blu-Ray is quite enough. Especially if SDD-DVD has DRM features that requires having an FBI agent come over and manually authorize each viewing!
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

You defintly got a point thier Scott.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Super-Duper Definition DVD

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:
Sony is quite possibly personally (well, corporately) responsible for the death of many formats. They adamantly insist on their own proprietary systems, facing off against competing formats rather than adopting them.

Oh yeah...I forgot about Sony not sharing thier formats.

Scott Gardener wrote: Especially if SDD-DVD has DRM features that requires having an FBI agent come over and manually authorize each viewing!

They already thought of that. But instead of an FBI agent coming over, you plug your DVD player into a phone jack. Or some type of internet connection. If you try to play a bootleg on that DVD player, the studios can render your DVD player useless.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Even if you aren't aware that you've got a bootleg? That's bloody draconian. Reigns of terror shouldn't drive copyright protection. Even the RIAA wouldn't stoop so low.

Well, yes, they would.

But they won't, because it would be about as popular as Sony's recent attempt to install a root kit trojan into people's computers when playing some of their recent CDs. DRM shouldn't involve spyware that doubles as back doors for hackers and triples as system-crashers. Even Microsoft wouldn't stoop so low.

Well, yes, they would.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...