Non-wolf or human realated traits

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Non-wolf or human realated traits

Post by Anubis »

Werewolves has to have some traits that human and wolves don't have like; i like to think they have retractible claws. and don't forget regeneration and the shape shifting thing.

what do you think what kind of traits that only werewolves and humans and wolves don't
Last edited by Anubis on Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE GAME

My Armory
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

I'd say regeneration is derived from the shapeshifting, which simplifies that, and that's simply what sets a werewolf physically apart from a wolf or human. I don't really like the idea of retractable claws. For one thing, fixed allows for much greater strength, as a solid attachment to the bone is made. As far as I know, this is impossible for retractable claws, as they have to be connected by a system which allows for motion, making them much weaker. It can be simplified to one question, really; are they weapons or utilities? I know even some large cats (cheetah?) have fixed claws due to the traction benefits.
Sanity is relative.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

umm...echolocation?

Nah, not really. I can't really think of any ability that a werewolf would have that a human or wolf wouldn't have. The way I think of it, they have all the abilities of both, but enhanced and amplified a whole lot (when in gestalt form). When in wolf form, they have all wolf abilities, plus human intelligence, memory, etc., and in human form, they have all human abilities plus enhanced senses and better reflexes (plus they are healthier overall).
celtwolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by celtwolf »

actually, i like to think that the werewolves can marginally focus their shifting abilities to areas of their bodies, i.e. their hands, eyes, minor extremities.
so the retractable-claws thing would be defined as isolated shifting of the fingertips to a more human state. and the changing of the eye color thing i've heard about here and there could be explained similarly.

however, the advanced healing CAN'T be explained by me, or at least i haven't found a way to explain it.
i'm just stating what i know and what i think, if you don't like it, you can leave me alone.

i am the well-read werewolf
:read:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I seriously doubt they'd have retractable claws, but the hands definitely would be more human in appearance.

The feet would probably retain the same blend of human that the hands do. They may develop a canine habit of moving about on their tip-toes (which I've seen a lot of humans do when barefoot, so it'd be an easy habit to adopt), but they'd probably maintain the human heel and toes.
MuDD
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by MuDD »

As far as I know, this is impossible for retractable claws, as they have to be connected by a system which allows for motion, making them much weaker. It can be simplified to one question, really; are they weapons or utilities? I know even some large cats (cheetah?) have fixed claws due to the traction benefits.
Not to mention that Wolves don't have retractable claws and yes you're right that cheetahs have fixed claws-Provides better purchase on the ground- like kleats? on our football or soccer shoes. -EDIT- I see now Railith mentioned the traction, my bad didn't read it closely enough.
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Terastas wrote:...the hands definitely would be more human in appearance.

The feet would probably retain the same blend of human that the hands do. They may develop a canine habit of moving about on their tip-toes (which I've seen a lot of humans do when barefoot, so it'd be an easy habit to adopt), but they'd probably maintain the human heel and toes.
Myself, I much prefer going on the wolf side of things. Admittedly, the hands/front paws would be akward at first, and possibly odd looking (Myself, I really like the compromise Timothy Albee did in his "This Was My Home" piece), but they'd work well. At least, I think so.
Sanity is relative.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

to me retractable claws seem better than fixed. because that you can easily move them out of the way and it seems more logical because they are bipedal but they need the to hold on prey so it seems more likely of an evolutionary outcome. but the retractable claws will only be on the hands. i rather have convenience than than stonger claws
THE GAME

My Armory
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

explain what being bipedial has to do with not having claws?
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

Werewolves are supernatural so I think that outside of their union with the elements of man and beast they are also spiritually connected creatures. Namely to the elements of nature -- but not so transfixing to forget about the human realm of things. They know when something's up, naturally. Animals have a 'sixth sense' -- and are much more attuned to the world outside.

It's not necessarily learned or sensed in mankind. Subtly being able to pick up natural signs is probably one of those innate traits. If it's going to rain they can 'sense' things change that average human or wolf could. Identifying the change is debatable -- but they know something is going to happen. And they're probably liable to understand the phases of the moon when the average person doesn't check. Werewolves just don't need to check.

I think their nature gives them a gravity over other creatures that can literally 'smell' that they are another caliber of Animal. It's a silent radiation of power and it's not all smell but that animal attachment to a world humanity seems disconnected from. Or the human sense to a giant creature-looking thing. It's also a power that's so dominating -- it demands a presence more than any wild animal or human's.

And I think that werewolves could probably control that kind of essence because hunters have that power to be smart, cunning, stealthy, but also furious and superbly imposing when the tables are turned. So they could probably curb part of it if they were lurking or if they're trying to scare the crap out of you.

It's something that, while humans and wolf may both capture a sense of awe and rapture, Werewolves have a power OVER such a wave of standing. Despite their collaboration they are a completely different standing between man and beast. Such a union contracts a lot of other things.

It's cheesy but I do think there's that quarky 'presence' someone would have. Something awkward. Some strange awareness. Something different. A tell, a suspiciousness. At least to people, to animals it would be a different magnitude of a threat.

It's the closest thing I'd say they have towards a theoretical 'magic' or 'power' outside the realm of the shift and their general abilities.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

when have free hands to work with tools claws can get in the way or when making a fist OUCH!!
THE GAME

My Armory
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

hmm.... i suppose they may get in the way of using tools, but not much, and fists.... why would you make a fist if you had claws?

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

let me ask you this. When you fight why do you kick rather than punch?
THE GAME

My Armory
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

theres more power in a kick (mind i'v never been in a fight). but claws are cutting and gripping tools, able to peirce the skin. The point of sharp objects is to inflict more damage while using less energy.

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

let try this again what i meant is when the situation calls for it. like you just want to make him feel pain than do any real damage. and blows to the skull. like what if you need to knock an other werewolf unconscious you use a fist than a hand full of claws.
Last edited by Anubis on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE GAME

My Armory
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

For one thing, fixed claws are NOT sharp, and with some practice they wouldn't get in the way either; they're just extensions of your finger. Assuming we're using a realistic image of what a claw is; 3 inch blades will always get in the way. Due to pads and dull claws, a fist shouldn't be too much of a problem, particularily if you don't hit anything straight on; if it's a single purpose like knocking someone else, it should me simple enough to do that. If you just want to cause pain, slap them, or scratch them :)

Anyway, I see werewolves as being perfectly happy running on all fours in Gestalt, so fixed claws again make more sense. If you want to "grip prey," use that muzzle full of long, sharp, teeth with almost a ton of crushing power.
Sanity is relative.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Well they wouldn't be sharp if the werewolf had done a lot of moving around, but if he had just shifted, then they would.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

yeah a werewolf that had just TF would have claws like a cat, very sharp. cause when you have a puppy youll swear that your puppy would have been able to climb on trees he or she wasnt so heavy.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Ok, fine. Point ceded. Nevertheless, they'd dull up soon enough.
Sanity is relative.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I lean towards fixed claws. Retractable claws just seems weird for a werewolf. Fixed claws are stronger anyway, and will be sharp despite the fact that they are fixed because of all the shifting.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

I like the idea of retractile claws on the forepaws in gestalt. It would help if the WW were manipulating something, plus it guarantees the claws are sharp when they need to use them in a combat situation.

Going a bit further...

What would be another nice trait is having chameleon fur, that blends into the background. Subtle, but would give them the edge over even wolves when it comes to hunting.

I'm more than sure they'd be able to track via heat signatures, as an adjunct to the heightened senses. I'd also give them perfect time and directional sense, on the same token.

Being able to customize their shifts, like controlling exactly what degrees of human and wolf in the mix. Not so much human — gestalt — wolf, but a sliding scale between the extremes of wolf and human with the gestalt at the apex.
ImageImageImageImage
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

I don't like the idea of retractile claws on werewolves.
For one thing, only cats have retractile claws. What sort of logic could explain an amalgam of wolf and man having cat-claws?
Secondly, having retractile claws would reduce the werewolf's manual dexterity, as, having retractile claws doesn't mean that your talons go in and out of a sheath, your fingertips fold back.
Thirdly, provided the werewolf isn't grinding his claws against stone all the time, the claws on a werewolf's forepaws stay relatively sharp, if only because he doesn't walk on his forepaws not nearly as much as a normal wolf. Plus, remember that mammal talons stay sharp by having the old(er) material flake off from the side, thus restoring the sharp tips.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Kavik the Wolf-Boy
Mood: Busy

Post by Kavik »

Ink wrote:Werewolves are supernatural so I think that outside of their union with the elements of man and beast they are also spiritually connected creatures. Namely to the elements of nature -- but not so transfixing to forget about the human realm of things. They know when something's up, naturally. Animals have a 'sixth sense' -- and are much more attuned to the world outside.
I think this is a valid concept. Many works of fiction have shown the werewolf to be attuned to nature in a quasi-mystical way. The very concept of Therianthropy is centered around this link to nature. Of course that doesn't seem to be important in a one-on-one fight, so this idea probably won't get much play in this thread.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Give a man a poisoned fish, feed him for life.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=167865
http://www.geocities.com/crazy_ivan_thx11/Talbot.htm
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Apokryltaros wrote:I don't like the idea of retractile claws on werewolves.
For one thing, only cats have retractile claws. What sort of logic could explain an amalgam of wolf and man having cat-claws?
Secondly, having retractile claws would reduce the werewolf's manual dexterity, as, having retractile claws doesn't mean that your talons go in and out of a sheath, your fingertips fold back.
Thirdly, provided the werewolf isn't grinding his claws against stone all the time, the claws on a werewolf's forepaws stay relatively sharp, if only because he doesn't walk on his forepaws not nearly as much as a normal wolf. Plus, remember that mammal talons stay sharp by having the old(er) material flake off from the side, thus restoring the sharp tips.
Not to mention Werewolves are stonger than a human, so dullness wouldn't matter too much, they'd be more than capable of ripping flesh.

For one thing, fixed claws are NOT sharp, and with some practice they wouldn't get in the way either; they're just extensions of your finger. Assuming we're using a realistic image of what a claw is; 3 inch blades will always get in the way.
Yeah, they wouldn't get in the way unless you were, say, trying to type on the computer (though, with a keyguard, you could probablly press the keys with the tips of the claws...) or some other high-dexterity task. I'd say even with claws a werewolf could probablly operate something like, say a firearm, or use a melee weapon, or some other simple manipulation. MAybe use a TV remote, Writing might be a bit screwy...drawing moreso....etc.
let try this again what i ment is when the situation calls for it. like you just want to make him feel pain than do any real damage. and blows to the skull. like what if you need to knock an other werewolf unconchis you use a fist than a hand full of claws.
Karate Chop...or if you want to add insult to injury, do for the ever popular b****-slap! :lol:
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

Kavik wrote: I think this is a valid concept. Many works of fiction have shown the werewolf to be attuned to nature in a quasi-mystical way. The very concept of Therianthropy is centered around this link to nature. Of course that doesn't seem to be important in a one-on-one fight, so this idea probably won't get much play in this thread.
Heh. I'll agree

Soooo....

<RANT>
On the topic of Fights And Staying on Topic Too:

Fights will happen and there will be winners and there will be losers. I'm not so worried about all that as some are. In the end it's not how hard you hit but how -WELL- you hit. A hit being more than just a punch or kick but any contact of aggressive means.

Reality makes the act of fighting seem less appealing for mankind and fantasy makes it more exciting. I've seen too many and been in too many to really have a taste for the fantastic side of fighting. Fights aren't highlights or cool McDojo-saturated tricks of the trade -- there's no secret to perfection in them:

It, the so called perfection in fighting, is a total status of mentality and brutal force. Anyone who's fought for their life can tell you that.

Very few things are as effective as brute force and the primal intention of killing. And I'm not talking about a hustle. This isn't about putting on a good show -- I'm talking about survival. Either you get out of the situation or you kill. It's about that black and white.

When you remove barriers of our [human] complexity to subjects, like killing and with what, there is a freedom and a probablity left over. That is what extends to natural elements and the orderly of the natural world.

We live in a world of 'cultured' man and yet there are two sides to every story, so to say, and from cultured world to a non-cultured world there are many captions to such things and each are different.

The overhead of not having the boundries of man's making and the understanding of it -- Neither wolf nor humankind has that. But together they would.

It would make them exceptional fighters and exceptions to every rule our social structure ever built or that the elements of nature have evolved against.

Which would make the open and undaunting look of a person who has that capability almost overwhelming if they let that run free. That power is the power to kill for the facts of needing to do so. It's bravado of a superb sort.

In a one-on-one fight a werewolf is going to do whatever s/he needs. S/he's going to tear, leap, pin, swipe up and rip for a belly, nab for the soft stomach tissues, bite at the haunches, paws, ears and places nerve-rich. Pain. Fear. Survival is the name of that game.

And anyone who's ever been attacked by a dog knows claws, dull or sharp, are an asset. They will tear skin given the chance.

Humanity is learned so well the principles of their culture group. Some of us, even in the eve of our most emotional peaks and aggressive streaks couldn't kill. Why not? Because we weren't raised so. On the flipside some of us could because we've been geared with justifications for it. But these things are BOTH learned elements. Some of us have justifications for not killing, other's have justifications for killing -- all based on our Culture and our culture group.

Perhaps the ultimate tool of a fight is bowing to a different principle. And it doesn't matter about claws or complexities built by human-kind -- it matters on who wants to live more and who's willing to kill faster for it.

That's the prowess and understanding, I believe, Werewolves would have. A understanding of their ultimate power -- over man, over all society, and over beast -- something none of us, wolf or human, have a cunning over. It's an over-throw of mental power that lets you know.

I also think understanding 'nature', that mystic connection, is not a single element with emotions or feelings or rapture of sort. It's [Nature] an idea lacking 'culture', a force that does not bow to our law. It's understanding the world outside of our own that is the mysticism of a Werewolf.

The connection wouldn't just make them in their shifted forms prodigies of survival but it would also make their human forms exceptional survivors. And for once we would not be scavangers but a preditor amongst even the 'human' side of us.

Even without the liking to kill people, having such a capability is out of context in this world. It's a connection so primative and to us sometimes so vile it's not understood. Even to the masses who are highly entertained by the thought of it.

If one gets their kicks from a one-on-one tango of true survival-instinct, Werewolves probably do the 'dance' better than man or wolf could have ever done without each other.

Why? Because that simple connectivity to the idea we have as 'Nature' makes them go beyond the canine species and ourselves.

</RANT>

Disclaimer For My Sake: This in no way is trying to say werewolves are savage-bloodthirsty killers -- though they can play the part very well since nature, at times, knows the harshest of dishes to serve. It's hard to explain what I'm trying to say in a post. I'm used to writing small novels and thesis papers on stuff. Ignore me if you don't understand, or ask me to elaborate aside from the forums, I'm not here to spam..
Last edited by Ink on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.