Transplantations

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Wolveblade
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: lone wolf

Re: Transplantations

Post by Wolveblade »

Lycanthrope wrote:There has been much discussion about Werewolves immunity systems, but I haven't seen this issue mentioned.
What if for some reason a Werewolf had a transplantation performed? Would his enchanced organism reject this, let's say, liver, despite of medicaments? If it didn't, how would the operation affect shifting?
And the other way around. What if normal human received a Lycanthropic liver? Would that be enough to gain Lycanthropy? Would he face a bizarre event of single organ shapeshifting?
I invite You to the discussion.

*looks down and sees something poking around inside* yikes ha ha ha

i dont know i have never had a transplant before...but i do donate blood...thing is we can keep the lycan stuff out of our tissues when needed to...for example a were wolf is killed....humans find it and it is a normal human...nothing abnormal about it.....its sorta like a vampire thing ....they die and they are no longer a vampire bc they either turn to dust or become a normal corpse
let no sacred place in your territory be violated
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Excelsia wrote:I don't think a werewolf getting a transplant would cause him much problems in shifting.

I do, however, think that transplanting a werewolf body part would be enough to give someone lycanthropy. (Which leads me to another point...werewolves are probably not organ donors)
I agree. But how 'bout those who steal dead bodies and take organs to the black market? Theres always that kinda possibility. I think there would be some kinda system to prevent "were transplant". Goverment agents perhaps, they come to the accident scene and take the body into custody. Then perhaps they burn or freeze it and act like nothing happened :lol:
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

you would probably see MIB there 8) .
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Shadow Wulf wrote:you would probably see MIB there 8) .
Indeed. Not dedicated to look after aliens but dedicated to look after werewolves. Not so big organisation like in MIB but some special unit that works for the goverment. Hmm... what would the agents look like?
Long leather jackets perhaps or something like that :D
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Legal organ donors are always volunteers. Not counting the black market, no organs are taken from anonymous sources. Contrary to George Carlin's comments about EMS crews "looking for parts," you have to go out of your way to be an organ donor. That's one of the reasons that there's such a serious shortage.

Still, illegal organ recipients through various underground channels could be in for a shock. Makes for a great story, especially if you have a mafia run by vampires, etc.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Dont they check the organ that the person is donating for diseases?
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

That's true...
Still, sometimes, people are sloppy about it, and there was a recent case where somewhere between 3 and 7 people died of rabies because the donor had died of rabies, too, but, wasn't diagnosed as such.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I figured as much.
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

um.....ew

um....Doctor I think i'll pass on the liver just yet
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

But Fenrir Lycanthrope has lots of positive affects on your body and can literaly inhance your metabolism so you can never get diabetes or grow fat :lol:
Image Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Shadow Wulf wrote:But Fenrir Lycanthrope has lots of positive affects on your body and can literaly inhance your metabolism so you can never get diabetes or grow fat :lol:
but you can still grow old. (But at a slower rate.)
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Yes, AVERAGE LIFE EXPECTANCY:130
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

But I am not fat and I expect a cure for diabetes in the next ten years
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Already found it, its maruana bleh I mean Lycanthropy!! :P
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

hey i might have to work on the full moon

-Satyricon
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Fenrir wrote:um.....ew

um....Doctor I think i'll pass on the liver just yet
If it has lycantropy, and not rabies, I'll take it!
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Xodiac
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xodiac »

An interesting question. Like all fiction, though, it depends on how you want to play it.

Let's say I'm a werewolf and my liver gets destroyed somehow. Well, you could make it so my regeneration will heal me, giving me a new liver, thus precluding even the need for a transplant. Or my healing might be enough to cope with the effects of missing a liver. The poisons that would normally build up are neutralized, or the damage that those poisons do is neutralized, and either way I don't really suffer from the loss.

But you could also see it that the loss is a real detriment, just like a real person's would be, and I need a transplant. Well, at that point I'd think the healing would still help, in that I would be more likely to accept a new liver than a normal person would. The extra healing abilities would allow me to forgo immunosuppression drugs. Mind you, this would not mean I could accept any liver. Just like a normal human, I'd have to be matched to the donor in several ways, lest my body think it is an invader and the increased healing makes things very bad indeed. But a well-chosen donor-victim match would I think have a better chance of coming out fine with a werewolf victim than a normal person.
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Scott Gardener wrote:Legal organ donors are always volunteers. Not counting the black market, no organs are taken from anonymous sources. Contrary to George Carlin's comments about EMS crews "looking for parts," you have to go out of your way to be an organ donor. That's one of the reasons that there's such a serious shortage.

Still, illegal organ recipients through various underground channels could be in for a shock. Makes for a great story, especially if you have a mafia run by vampires, etc.
Exept it is possible that someone takes the victim from the street and removes all parts that has some value. Last time it was something like 200-300 unsolved cases of missing persons. For sure theres even more. Forget the vampires and other stuff, let's focus on humans now.

Someone takes the victim and takes all what he needs. The body is disposed somehow and the organs go to the illegal markets. Goverment is hunting down these organs and they got they hands in hospitals and etc. Doctors test the livers and what ever for were cells, virus, geen or what ever causes it. Ok, it is well organized but it's only a matter of time when they miss something or theres illegal hospital and voila!
Theres big amounts of money in that field. Liver can cost even 30 000 dollars, like drugs. Theres helluva lot of money after all in that bisnes. Nothing can't prevent were transplant :o
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Going with the moon

Post by Ronkonkoma »

Moonstalker wrote: Someone takes the victim and takes all what he needs. The body is disposed somehow and the organs go to the illegal markets. Goverment is hunting down these organs and they got they hands in hospitals and etc. Doctors test the livers and what ever for were cells, virus, geen or what ever causes it. Ok, it is well organized but it's only a matter of time when they miss something or theres illegal hospital and voila!
Theres big amounts of money in that field. Liver can cost even 30 000 dollars, like drugs. Theres helluva lot of money after all in that bisnes. Nothing can't prevent were transplant :o
the idea of a human receiving a transplant of any sort from a were does bring up some interesting thoughts. I for one think that wereism is spread by a virus or virus like organism, which does lead to the possibility of a human becoming a were if exposed to anything that has that virus.

the actual chances of human getting a were organ is very slim . something would have to happen to a bitten WW that happens to have an organ donar card that hasn't been canceled since becoming a ww and has no immedate family, and is away from home & the pack so the pack wouldn't know about accident for some time, and any WW working at hospital might not recognise that the organs being transplanted had come from a ww.

possible things that could be transplanted: blood, bonemarrow, liver, heart, kidneys, lungs, skin (for Allografts, a type of skin graft), eyes, and even limbs.

probably after a few days with no contact would the pack try to find missing pack member, and after learning of accident, get ahold of any ww in hospital to find out who got transplanted organs (they could still be in hospital)

a blood transfusion with wereblood would cause recieving human to become a were like he/she was bitten, and would take the shortest amount of time to become known

eye transplants would take the longest amount of time between transplantation and the eventual becoming of a full ww. first full moon for this person, they notice their eyes are a different color, eyeshine, and see a whole lot better at night, eventually the werewolf effect could spread to rest of face then rest of body but would take time and not be pleasent for human.

Skin grafts and transplanted limbs would be very unusual and possibly hurtful to the recieivng human. first full moon, that piece of them from the ww would probably change while rest of human doesn't, but eventually effect spreads to rest of body

transplanting liver,kidneys, heart or bone marrow is interesting because these usually require immunosuppessing (spelling i know) drugs
when a human gets this kind of treatment and gets a were-organ, the result could be bad. a scenerio I've thought of is a human gets a bone marrow transplant, and is on treatment and eventually is released from hospital, the virus infected bone marrow with the heightened healling ability kicks in, and because of the IS drugs, causes the virus to stay active longer (like during a fullmoon) rather than become dorment most the time, causing human to change into a WW that is trapped in wolf or gesult (bad spelling again i know) form for a much longer time than a regular ww, probably force person to hide away for a day or two rather than just one night.

only way for such transplanted were/humans to survive is to either get accepted into a pack or be eliminated
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

Scott Gardener wrote:Legal organ donors are always volunteers. Not counting the black market, no organs are taken from anonymous sources. Contrary to George Carlin's comments about EMS crews "looking for parts," you have to go out of your way to be an organ donor. That's one of the reasons that there's such a serious shortage.

I believe this was the main plot idea in Eyes of the Werewolf
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!