Which form would you howl in?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Which form would you howl in?

human form only
No votes
wolf form only
10%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
2%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
34%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
54%

Total votes: 59

Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Excelsia wrote:LOL :lol: . I just got this weird image of a human howling random gibberish in coyote, and the coyotes being like "WTF?!".
*nods* Or some campy-style werewolf movie with wolves growling and howling with subtitles, then the human howls and the subtitles read a few verses of beatneck poetry. :lol:
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Ooh, this also brings up another issue... Will there be some kind of translation when the wolves are communicating with eachother? I hope not. I think that the best way of handling this problem is what they did in Spirit. (without the narration) They took normal equine behavior and exagerated it just enough so that most people could pick up on it and added just a touch of anthropomorphism to the facial expression. This communicated everything the viewer could ever want to know about what was going on in Spirit's mind or between the two horses.
[arpegiuswolf]
Legendary
Legendary

Post by [arpegiuswolf] »

if I'm in a good mood and I hear a nearby dog howl...I'll answer it...Just to be silly. So...I'd howl in any form...^_^

I'm a very silly person... :P
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Heh. All of us deviate from the norm; otherwise, we wouldn't be here.

Myself, I'd keep howling to the wolf/gestalt forms; I'd feel sillier than I like to otherwise, and besides, I suspect it would be significantly easier to get the modulation right. However, assuming that keeping hidden wasn't a concern (either I would be somewhere private, or the world at large is comfortable with my existance), I'd take it as an excuse to shift forms and do so :)
Sanity is relative.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

In most situations where I would howl, I'd have the opportunity to shift anyway. Still, I voted all forms, as I could see occasions where howling in human form would come up. (Maybe a subdued howl as a way of dropping a hint on a newly bitten packmate. "Sure, I'm free on Tuesday..." "awroohh..." "oh, yeah," (looks at calender and sees full moon) "I just remembered I can't make it that day.")
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

lol, or you could ask for there phone number and tell them whens the next full moon.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Wouldn't howl there that's it i said and if i did i would choose to howl i would only do it as a wolf
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
KnownToBite
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: Beta Female of The C-Oney Wolf Pack

Post by KnownToBite »

I howl whenever I freakin feel like it, for fun, to call a pack member, in sadness, in happiness, just to strike upa pack howl, to howl at my RL wolves... whenever.. :)
Jasmine Isis
Beta Female to The Real Life C-Oney Wolf Pack
Mate to Syn Kardis
Mother to 2 beautiful kids - Damien Marcus and Scarlette Eden
Mother to 2 beautiful wolves - Isis(f mexican red) and Osiris(m timberwolf)
Mother to a beautiful red fox kit - Pyro
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Which form would you howl in?

Post by Moonstalker »

Figarou wrote:Ok, regualr wolves howl. We know that. But werewolves are different. They can howl at any time, any place, and any form. They can even howl as part of a ritual.

If you feel like howling, is there a specific form you would rather take before you do?

It doesn't have to be at the moon. It could be any situation.
Some people do howl in reality. Sometimes it's even succesful :D
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Surprise! Some of us are those people.
Sanity is relative.
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Ralith Lupus wrote:Surprise! Some of us are those people.
I've been thinking to try that. Sometimes when I'm somewhere where is no other people :wink:
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Moonstalker wrote:
I've been thinking to try that. Sometimes when I'm somewhere where is no other people :wink:
Instead of being alone, try it with lots of other people. :howl:  :oo

http://www.howlatthemoon.com/index.htm
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Figarou wrote:
Moonstalker wrote:
Instead of being alone, try it with lots of other people. :howl:  :oo

http://www.howlatthemoon.com/index.htm
Interesting :)
Though here in finland some people don't like wolves so I would only get my head shot off in the dark :lol:
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Lone_Wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lone_Wolf »

PariahPoet wrote:Yeah, I would think that speech would be slurred with really growly accent. Like someone who had their vocal chords injured trying to talk while wearing rubber vampire teeth. ;-)
Hahaha! :lol:

Although I would think in human form it would sound bad to howl, and I put down wolf or gesalt form, I think I'll have to admit I've done it for fun

:duckylook:
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
PariahPoet wrote:Yeah, I would think that speech would be slurred with really growly accent. Like someone who had their vocal chords injured trying to talk while wearing rubber vampire teeth. ;-)
Hahaha! :lol:

Although I would think in human form it would sound bad to howl, and I put down wolf or gesalt form, I think I'll have to admit I've done it for fun

:duckylook:

Hmm... it depends how well you can howl :howl:  :oo
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Wolveblade
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: lone wolf

Post by Wolveblade »

*thinks* I would probably howl in both forms.
let no sacred place in your territory be violated
Alteron
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Alteron »

Well, the primary reason a human would feel odd howling is because we're sentient, and humans 'don't howl'. Well, in a way we do, via singing. We may not sing WELL, but vocal singing exists in all human cultures, and there are usually simular points in every form of it.
Wolves howl for many reasons. To find one another, to celebrate after a hunt, but most of the time, they're just howling for the heck of it. In fact, scientests have done recordings, and it sounds like the wolves are harmonising (or trying to;)
Thus, a WW, who is not truely human, would probably be perfectly willing to howl in human form, so long as there aren't any people near by that may A: call those nice young men in their clean white suits :wink: B: to avoid mob situations

-Alteron
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

I believe it's also used for communication past the simple "I'm over here!"
Sanity is relative.
Alteron
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Alteron »

Oh yes, it is... but not as often as one (and movies) would think;) Wolves have an INCREADIBLE range of smell, and they don't usually range too far away from each other;)
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Are you sure about that? I was under the very distinct impression that wolves can (and do) make good use of long range communication. Admittedly, the social howling is a major thing too; I"m just trying to point out that it does have a more practical use.
Sanity is relative.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Humans can howl. They have to be taught, but it's very do-able. It's a type of throat-singing: when I learnt to throat sing/chant AUM, my howl improved measureably (by the way, I'm no slouch at coyote howls, either).

We have a mass ritual at Burning Man where people throughout Black Rock City howl at moonrise. It's beautiful; different parts of the city see the moon before other parts so there's this rolling, surging howl that reverberates throughout the city, along the crescent and front-to-back, reaching a crescendo as the moon rises above the hills. Let me tell you — there are few sounds in this world more stirring and uplifting than thousands of throats lifted in a wordless wolfsong.

I'm going to give wolf howl lessons at Burning Man next year, as part of my camp's activity.

Other than Burning Man — I like to howl, and I don't particularly care if it draws stares. I've howled for years; if someone wants to think it's weird, I care not. It harms none and you'd be surprised how many people actually enjoy hearing a nicely-executed howl. Once when I was working the booth at Saturday Market, someone's wolf-dog in the back of their truck parked nearby stuck his head out the window and started howling. I answered back and several others in the vicinity joined in.

I sang to Luna a few nights ago when I walked out of the cancer clinic here and caught sight of the full moon rising. The sun had just disappeared under the west horizon and the sky wasn't full dark, more like a dusky blue-grey, with the disc of the moon coming up. I stopped in the middle of the parking lot, canted my head up and howled, long and sweet. Some nurses walking to their cars didn't join in, but gave me great big smiles.

I would note, however, that I don't do it a lot. But when I feel the mood, and feel the general mood wouldn't miss it, I'm not afraid to do it.

The way I see it, those who think a human howling is weird will think that no matter what you say otherwise and it's not worth breaking a sweat over. To others, it's another enriching note in the symphony of life. An ye harm none, do as ye will.

Edit: Regarding Howl At The Moon...I thought someone was organizing a grassroots movement of gathering howling groups in different cities, kind of like flash-mobbing or the skipping movement.
H'mm...there's an :idea2:
ImageImageImageImage
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

vrikasatma wrote:Humans can howl. They have to be taught, but it's very do-able. It's a type of throat-singing: when I learnt to throat sing/chant AUM, my howl improved measureably (by the way, I'm no slouch at coyote howls, either).

Yes, humans can howl. But does it have meaning when a plain human howls? Is the wolf howling with you? Or correcting you?

This brings up a question. Humans have many languages. In order for me to speak German, I must learn it. If a human becomes a werewolf for the 1st time, does he/she have to "learn" the language of the wolf? (howling)

Or will a 1st time werewolf be instinctive of the language? (howling)
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

I wouldn't expect a werewolf to intinctly know how to communicate with wolves.
nuff said...
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

I would imagine that it would have to be learned, in a sense. Instinct would make the process easier, but if we're correct in assuming that wolves have fairly high-level communication (and I think we are), it couldn't be even close to entirely instinctual. However, it might be eased to the extent that one could even self-teach relatively easily, given time (several months to a year?) and a handy wolf pack.
Sanity is relative.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

aff
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U