how can they hide for so long?

The place for anything at all...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Once again, I can think of two possible explanations as to why nobody has ever found a gestalt's body.

The first would be to once again classify a lycanthropic shift as being fueled by an increase in adrenaline. It could be that the body naturally reverts to human form once the excess adrenaline is burnt, therefore when the body stops producing adrenaline (IE: is dead), the werewolf form "deflates" back to human form.

The other would be that gestalt bodies have been discovered, but all findings to the present date have been lost, discredited or not properly documented. Just like with footage of a live werewolf, it would also be possible with today's tech to create a model of a dead werewolf. Once again, the pack could influence a fake corpse or two to discredit any future authentic incidents.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

hey they only rescently had photographic proof the giant squids actually exsist and i mean rescent i mean like June of this year rescent. And the proffesionals didn't get the photo it was a Japanese fishing crew.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ant_squid/
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Fenrir wrote:hey they only rescently had photographic proof the giant squids actually exsist and i mean rescent i mean like June of this year rescent. And the proffesionals didn't get the photo it was a Japanese fishing crew.

Yeah, but we've been finding bits and peices of them for awhile, and whales bearing huge tentacle suction cup marks. And they aint been trying hard to hide.

The Ocean's just...gigantic. Is all.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Fenrir wrote:hey they only rescently had photographic proof the giant squids actually exsist and i mean rescent i mean like June of this year rescent. And the proffesionals didn't get the photo it was a Japanese fishing crew.

Well actually, we've found several dead ones. That was the first live one we've had a photograph of.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

I'll offer another explanation. I've done some wargaming in my time, and I've been tutored by a scout-assassin type. Here's what he taught me.

1. Humans don't look up. Forget what they said in Shaun of the Dead. Humans don't look up. You can be in a tree and they'll walk right under you and never see you. They can fight or 45 minutes under you and never see you. So if you are up on a hill or cliff, your chances of being spotted are pretty slim.

2. Humans don't look lower than chest level or higher than about 6" above their eye level most of the time (see 1). We knelt in a clear area for about twenty minutes one evening. Six people must have walked past us and not a one noticed us. There were no stumps, bushes, trees, anything within about 15 feet of us and no one noticed. In the daytime, we knelt about three feet off a path in the woods and again no one saw us. There were trees, grass and bushes, granted, but we could be seen somewhat. Certainly anyone who stoppe would have spotted us easily. But, he explained, they were expecting stuff there and didn't look below chest level. We were there for at least 30 minutes in broad daylight. I was so surprised....

If we'd been a couple of gestalts, and kneeling, they would never have seen us. If we'd been in wolf form, they would only have reacted if we'd growled.

What did this teach me? That humans are creatures of habit and only look where they think is necessary. If they think something should be there, they don't react if something is(even if it's not remotely like what is normally there). So perhaps it's not so hard to hide after all.

That, with some good cover stories that humans would believe - because it's easier and maker more sense - and some careful work by a community that protected itself - it would become legends and stories from child hood, or some dillusional people talking on a website.
Ultraken
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ultraken »

The problem with all that is that you may have a very small chance of detection, but you have to consider the large number of potential observers and long period of time over which an observation could occur. It only takes one incontrovertible sighting and the game is over. Multiple sightings or credible witnesses are only a matter of time. Even a partial sighting can trigger heightened interest, increasing the chance of an observation. Werewolves have to "win" every time; humans only have to "win" once.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Okay, quick little blurb on this.

When the world was a smaller place, so to speak, and there were fewer human beings living in the world, it would have been more difficult to exist inside of human society and still hide your.... second life as a werewolf, so to speak.

For example, somebody in a village of say 15-20 people sights a werewolf and out of panic, gets everyone in the village together for a mob or to protect themselves or whatever.

Well, if there's only 20 people in the village, and 19 of them are in the mob, then it becomes pretty easy to figure out whom the werewolf probably is.

This of course, could be one of the primary reasons werewolves arn't larger in number. Especially if werewolves rarely, "infect," others and instead pass on thier curse genetically.

Of course, at a certain time, humans were a lot more willing to believe in things like werewolves, which would also explain why there would be so many myths about them that might be drastically off.

After all, if they're willing to believe in them, then thier imagination has a lot more lee-way to dream up all sorts of nightmarish things concerning a werewolfs lifestyle.

Wolf Dude Nu-jutsu!
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Re: how can they hide so long?

Post by Jamie »

Terastas wrote: In fact, a few discredited werewolf sightings might actually be to the benefit of the pack. The more sham sightings come out of the pack's territory, the more people will be suspect of any true sightings.
This has already proven true in fields such as cryptozoology. If there is a creature that might or might not be real, and scientists are investigating it, and then some hoaxers create fake sightings, it messes everything up. Regardless of how lame and easy to see through the hoaxes are, and regardless of how high-quality the evidence from the actual sightings is, you can bet that the funding for the research will suddenly be yanked and the creature will get much less serious attention for some time.

If there were such things as real werewolves, it would be entirely in their best interest to create hoaxes and then expose them.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Re: how can they hide for so long?

Post by Moonstalker »

Anubis wrote:i think we haven't discused this. Even though werewolves don't exist if they do how can they keep their existance a secret for so long with out any real sightings.

i think that werewolves don't exist in the human world at all. they just live out their days as a full wolf in the wild.
I guess that would recuire a well organized system. Do they got some kinda science on they side that wipes the memory?
Again... if werewolves are exist goverment would be aware of this. They cover the werewolves tracks and make up a stories to cover that there ever was anything. They say that the hairy big beast was a rabid dog and they wipe out memory of witnessers :D

That is my opinion. Werewolf tales are very old and if they're exist it would take very much of carefulness. Shifting in wrong place for example, could cause a catastrophy to whole lycan race. That's why you must have something that takes care of this kinda situations. :)
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Ultraken wrote:The problem with all that is that you may have a very small chance of detection, but you have to consider the large number of potential observers and long period of time over which an observation could occur. It only takes one incontrovertible sighting and the game is over. Multiple sightings or credible witnesses are only a matter of time. Even a partial sighting can trigger heightened interest, increasing the chance of an observation. Werewolves have to "win" every time; humans only have to "win" once.
Well that just goes back onto what I said about hoaxes and deniability. For every true werewolf, there are many more werewolf legends and hoaxes. A simple sighting would not be enough to betray the werewolves to the mobs. Even an aquired "specimen" would be subject to critique, even if the public interest is greater. Videos nowadays are a dime a dozen -- only the geeks of sci-fi and therianthropy would take a keen interest in them. You can't prevent everyone from seeing you, but you can prevent everyone from seeing you all at once.
Ancient
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Keeper of useless knowledge and information

Post by Ancient »

Terastas wrote:The problem with all that is that you You can't prevent everyone from seeing you, but you can prevent everyone from seeing you all at once.
That's a good point. The less people that see them the easier it would be to disprove.
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

REALLY creepy voice: Come out... come out....Where ever you are....
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

They fear the response of man should they choose to expose themselves just because we all know how people think, They fear the unexplained, the unbelieveable, the different..They would rather raise their weapons to the Werewolf than try to fine out about.. The way humans find out about things are through cutting, disection for better word, like you see on those shows about aliens, what are the people doing to those aliens? Cuttting them open for their own desire, now that the creature is dead there is nothing to fear, that's the only thing that would hold Werewolves back from exposure, FEAR any being can feel it and want to avoid death if at all possible...
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

yet there are plent of places to hide in the world. to Silver
I can hide in the shadows when i want and I can say your right but some one will notices if you stand still for a long time.