Limits

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

were's on speed

Post by mielikkishunt »

I pegged a Toyota Turcell at 210 KPH(Speedometer don't go faster!) and had a ferrari testorossa(Sp?) go flying by, just a red streak :)

I've gotten my Mustang (93) up to 100 MPH, but I worry too much about wildlife to do that often.. .did it in the flat roads of Texas. . scares the s*** out of ya when a deer teleports in front of ya

I learned how to drive in Germany, what's YOUR excuse :)
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: were's on speed

Post by Vuldari »

mielikkishunt wrote:I learned how to drive in Germany, what's YOUR excuse :)
Loooonnngg straight road (150 miles)...dark night...tired of driving slow for hours...and beat up old pick-up trucks pulling trailers were passing me going over 85 Mph...

...so I passed them back at 96mph.

(It was as fast as my little 94 Dodge Shadow would go. I wanted to shoot for 100+, but that poor little four cylinder engine was trembling so bad at that point, I was afraid it might explode Image, so I had to let off the gas.)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

mielikkishunt wrote:
Ah, the autobahn. A place to test out your cars abilities. To bad I didn't have one at the time when I was stationed there. (Army)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
mielikkishunt wrote:I learned how to drive in Germany, what's YOUR excuse :)
Loooonnngg straight road (150 miles)...dark night...tired of driving slow for hours...and beat up old pick-up trucks pulling trailers were passing me going over 85 Mph...

...so I passed them back at 96mph.

(It was as fast as my little 94 Dodge Shadow would go. I wanted to shoot for 100+, but that poor little four cylinder engine was trembling so bad at that point, I was afraid it might explode Image, so I had to let off the gas.)
:o
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote::o
That is honestly the only time I've ever done something like that. I am normally that one guy actually going 60 in a 60 mph zone when everyone else is going 69. However, that day...

..that day, I was feeling perticualrly rebelious. I was actually "Playing Hookey" from work (*I didn't show up for work, ...for those not familiar with that term*) that day and decided to drive 200 Miles North to the shore of Lake Superior instead. It was a totally spontanious thing...I actually started the journey from the parking lot where I work, about to punch in for 8 hours of Hell. ...after that...well...It's a long story. Image

...ANYWAY...Talk about getting off topic. Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see Werwolves being able to run 40Mph. That seems a bit much to me. Even in their Full Wolf forms, I imagine tham being a little bigger and bulkier than normal Wolves, and therefore stronger...but also a little less nimble and a little slower. Maybe a 25Mph average running speed on all-fours. (FASTER, if the individual is in extrodinarily good shape.)

Though Wolves are not known as extrodinary jumpers, I would expect that the extra raw muscle strength they would gain in either form would at least allow them the ability to jump TWICE as High/Far as a nomal Human. (Which really is not vey much at all.)

What other strengths are there? Lifting Strength? ...Flexability?... Reaction speed?... (snatch the duckie from your masters hand. :duckie Image)...

I think the Gestalt form would be "technically" capable of feats well beyond that of either a Human or a Wolf, but just as most Humans never realise ther own bodies full potential, most werewolves, (even those that train and work out) would never fully unlock the SuperHuman strength and ability they are capable of. Most would only be a little stonger and faster than they were before. "Impressive"...but not unstopable. I think a Very Strong , Skilled and Compitent Human could go toe-to-toe with an average Werewolf, and come out on top.

...but not without recieving a few scratches and bruises. Image (...or a bite... :shift: )
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vuldari wrote:
Figarou wrote::o
That is honestly the only time I've ever done something like that. I am normally that one guy actually going 60 in a 60 mph zone when everyone else is going 69. However, that day...

..that day, I was feeling perticualrly rebelious. I was actually "playing hookey" from work (I didn't show up for work, For those not familiar with that term) that day and decided to drive 200 Miles North to the shore of Lake Superior instead. It was a totally spontanious thing...I actually started the journey from the parking lot where I work, about to punch in for 8 hours of Hell. ...after that...well...It's a long story. Image
Wow. I couldn't do that with my job. If I don't show up, might as well start looking for another job.

As for cars on the hiway. I deal with them all the time since I'm a truck driver. Speeding in a gasoline tanker is a no no. All hell will break loose if I get into a wreck fully loaded with fuel.

Vuldari wrote:...ANYWAY...Talk about getting off topic. Image
I have no idea how fast a werewolf can run when running on all fours or 2 legs. Thats why I didn't give my ideas about it.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Figarou wrote:Wow. I couldn't do that with my job. If I don't show up, might as well start looking for another job.
Oh...I can't do it with my job either. I almost got fired. Luckily, I was just put on 30 days probation instead. However...if I had even shown up 5-minutes late on any of those 30 days, I would be unemployed right now. Obviously, if I ever do it again, I will be instantly fired. Image

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Figarou wrote:I have no idea how fast a werewolf can run when running on all fours or 2 legs. Thats why I didn't give my ideas about it.
This topic is about more than just a wolfs maximum running speed.

How Strong?...

How Nimble?...

How Smart?...

Sense of:...
Smell?...
Hearing?...
Nightvision?...

What do YOU think? (Question to Everyone)

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

How Strong?...
Humans can have different strengths. Same goes with the werewolf
How Nimble?...
Depends on its abilities and what it knows. A werewolf that knows karate will be more nimble than a werewolf that doesn't know karate.
How Smart?...
Humans are smarter than wolves. So for a werewolf to be smart, it just carries over its human traits for thinking.

Smell?...
Wolves have a better sence of smell than humans. Not sure if a wolf's extra sence of smell is present in human form. There is a reason behind the long muzzle. More sensory glands for smell.

Hearing?...
eh? Speak up sonny. My hearing is going bad.

Nightvision?...
Oh cool!! I can see in the dark!! Can't wait to play hide in the seek in the dark with my friends now!!
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Figarou wrote:
mielikkishunt wrote:
Ah, the autobahn. A place to test out your cars abilities. To bad I didn't have one at the time when I was stationed there. (Army)
Dad & Hubby were stationed there. .learned to drive with a true blue German instructor. .Faster faster. LOL. I remember being so uncomfortable going faster in driving classes, but when I got on that autobahn, ZOOOM ZOOOOOM ZOOM :) Yep, addicted, and have been sooo temtped to tell the 2 cops who pulled me over for speeding here in the US, I can handle my car at fast speeds, can't you? :)
Lt Com Kyr

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

mielikkishunt wrote:I can handle my car at fast speeds, can't you? :)

Well, for one thing, my Ford Ranger Edge is not designed for high speeds. And there is a greater risk of a rollover if I happen to lose control. So no speeding for me.
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

ROFL, wasn't referring to you, Fig, it's what I wanna ask the cops :)
Lt Com Kyr

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

mielikkishunt wrote:ROFL, wasn't referring to you, Fig, it's what I wanna ask the cops :)

I made this for a reason. Image
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

::Sniggers:: Ok Officer, I'll be good :)
Lt Com Kyr

bloodwolf_345
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Polywere Supreme

Post by bloodwolf_345 »

It would differ from person to person. For example if Arnold Schwartzenegger was to become a Werewolf....'Hasta la Vista, Baby' would come about 100x faster than it would now. Now if Steve Urkel was to become a werewolf, Arnold could still beat his furry butt. If a person is naturally strong and fast, their natural abilities would be multiplied 100 fold.
A fractured psyche is not always a bad thing. In the world of Werewolves and Otherkin, many can exist in one host very peacefully. I am a great example of that. I have 6 different Fursonas
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

100 fold? Talk about overkill. I think we have an UBERWOLF supporter here.

:knockedout:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Speed:

Wolf: An average werewolf's wolf form should be slightly faster than an average top wolf's speed
Human: An average werewolf's human form should be slightly faster than average top human speed
Gestalt: I would say that the gestalt form of a werewolf should be about as fast as the wolf form.

Strength:

Wolf: I don't care.
Human: Slightly stronger than an average normal human of the given werewolf's physique would be.
Gestalt: On average, I would say that the gestalt form should be about as strong as one of those guys in the strong man competitions.

Hearing and Smell:

Wolf: Same or slightly better than wolf
Human: Somewhere between average human and average wolf (also, if a given human had hearing or smelling impairments, I think that contracting lycanthropy would improve the impairments some)
Gestalt: Same or slightly better than wolf

Vision:

Wolf: same as wolf
Human: same as human (also...if a given human had visual impairments, I think that contracting lycanthropy would improve their vision some)
Gestalt: The overall vision should be a blend of human and wolf vision, leaning a little more towards human. And slightly enhanced.

Jumping:

Heh...I know nothing about jumping. Just apply the same logic that I've applied to everything else, and that'll be my opinion on jumping.

Intelligence:

No different than what their intelligence would have been otherwise. Being bitten won't suddenly make a person smarter. Also, full human intelligence will be retained in all forms. Although, in wolf forms, they will also get all of the wolf's instincts. In gestalt form, they will get a weaker version of the wolf's instincts. In human form, they MIGHT get a slight hint of wolf's instincts.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I have to say that I would agree with just about everything Excelsia just said.

I think a Werewolfs full wolf form would have a slight, but significant advantage over the gestalt form for speed, and not faster than a normal wolf, but rather, nearly as fast as the fastest wolf. (unless, in the case of someone who is an olympic class runner in human form anyway, then probobly much faster in ALL forms.)

For strength, I would say stronger than a normal wolf in wolf form (in dirrect proportion to how much bigger than a normal wolf it is, assuming that they are bigger), significantly stronger than they look in human form (though not superhero strong), and approximately as strong as the strongest humans on earth in Gestalt form. (or, in the case of said "world champion" athletes becoming werewolves themselves, near Heculian, car-crushing strength).
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

I'm with Vuldari, and I'd like to put particular emphasis on one point: The wolf form's advantages over a normal wolf should be directly proportional to the relative size. If it's exacly the same size as a wolf, it should be the same in all other aspects, too. But my ideal has it being significantly larger, and thus stronger (perhaps among other things).
Sanity is relative.
Kisota

Post by Kisota »

Yup! I totally agree with the last three posts. :o Sounds just about right!
I think gestalt forms should have not only highly increased strength, but also somewhat highly increased senses. :D
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Kiba wrote:Yup! I totally agree with the last three posts. :o Sounds just about right!
I think gestalt forms should have not only highly increased strength, but also somewhat highly increased senses. :D
Oh yes...hearing and sense of smell at least as good as a Ferral Wolf (meaning far superior to a humans, naturally), plus eyesight just as good as a humans, but enhanced with exeptional low-light vision (aka. night vision).

...no "eagle eye" vision, or supernatural Sixth Sense though. That's too much. IMHO.
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

Let me throw something atcha:

Chimpanzees - pound for pound - eight times as strong as human beings. Think what a 6ft. Chimpanzee would be capable of.

I've seen my 100lb. and 77lb. Dobermans get in a tussle over a wooby (a squeaky toy that is a security blanket - the wooby is sacred). Almost too fast to see. I've seen a Kimbertall Doberman, which is about the size of a Great Dane. Not as fast as a Borzoy, which is also a big dog, but super HUMAN fast. My point? Size doesn't always hinder speed.

It's not the size, it's how you're put together. The word Gestalt comes from the concept that the whole is more than the sum of its parts. Gestalt could be MUCH stronger and faster than a human being - doing things that could BE super human.

The American Indians could keep up with a trotting horse all day long. All day. Long. That's a cruising speed of, I think, 5-10mph? I had a group of friends who's fathers taught martial arts. They'd grown up in it. One of them got locked out of his third story apartment. No problem, they ALL shinnied up the side of the building and onto his balcony in less than 20 seconds. Really. No big.

Jackie Chan can do some super-human things. Because he trained to. If you know how to use your body, you can do amazing stuff without a cape or snazzy spandex. Expand that to Gestalt form.

So I would picture the Gestalt super-humanly strong and dexterious enough to outdo even Mr. Chan. Since they hang out on Saturday nights and cruise the woods, they would learn from each others (including from mistakes). I'm sure in time they develop skills we would think of as - yes I think I'll say it - Incredible.

No, I don't think they can jump from a four story window and bounce up without a scratch. But if there were balconies and ledges wide enough for claws/paws, they could probably flow down it with no problem in less than 20 seconds.

So in Gestalt form mostly:

Strong? - Yes, maybe 6 times a human or more.

Fast? On all fours, cruising speed of 35 mph for short duration and 5-10 for long times. In Gestalt, I'm going to say a bit faster than the fastest human on a really really good day.

Smell? - already had a thread on that. Sense of smell from a wolf on a good day.

Sight? - already a thread on that. Sight diminishes becuase of the blend of wolf, same with color sight. A weaker form of human.

Hearing? - already had a thread on that. A wolf on a good day

None of this sounds spandex worthy, I know. It's not what you got, it's what you do with it. Right Mr. Chan? And a Gestalt form definitely has got it.

Feedback?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Silver wrote:Let me throw something atcha:

Chimpanzees - pound for pound - eight times as strong as human beings. Think what a 6ft. Chimpanzee would be capable of.
Chimpanzees "are" stronger than humans. Why? Because their bones are denser, and their skin is tougher than ours. They need this because they spend much of their day in trees and require greater balance and agility than humans.

But there is a price to pay for being "stronger."

The density of their bones is one reason why chimpanzees stay away from water. They are not buoyant and they sink.

Put that into perspective when putting together your "strong" werewolf.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Excelsia wrote:Gestalt: On average, I would say that the gestalt form should be about as strong as one of those guys in the strong man competitions.
I think that's pushing it. I find it hard to believe a skinny little dude who could barely lift 30 pounds would just magically be able to bench press 200+ pounds all because he got a little wolfy-er. Hell...I'm pretty damn strong myself, and I still can't see a change like that, even for someone like me.
Silver wrote:The American Indians could keep up with a trotting horse all day long. All day. Long. That's a cruising speed of, I think, 5-10mph? I had a group of friends who's fathers taught martial arts. They'd grown up in it. One of them got locked out of his third story apartment. No problem, they ALL shinnied up the side of the building and onto his balcony in less than 20 seconds. Really. No big.

Jackie Chan can do some super-human things. Because he trained to. If you know how to use your body, you can do amazing stuff without a cape or snazzy spandex. Expand that to Gestalt form.
There's a serious flaw in your logic here. Those examples you gave all have one thing in common: the people doing those things were TRAINED to do so. It didn't come naturally. They had to go through years of it to be able to pull off these feats. I don't know if you've noticed, but most people aren't Jackie Chan. And those are the people most likely to get bitten.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Reilune wrote:
Excelsia wrote:Gestalt: On average, I would say that the gestalt form should be about as strong as one of those guys in the strong man competitions.
I think that's pushing it. I find it hard to believe a skinny little dude who could barely lift 30 pounds would just magically be able to bench press 200+ pounds all because he got a little wolfy-er. Hell...I'm pretty damn strong myself, and I still can't see a change like that, even for someone like me.
Well, Chimpanzees are stronger than us because of bone densinty. Soooooo...if you add stronger muscles, bones that are denser, and tough skin, I can see that skinny little dude stronger than the average human. If a human who is already strong becomes a werewolf... whoa ho hooooo nelly!!

Reilune wrote:
Silver wrote:The American Indians could keep up with a trotting horse all day long. All day. Long. That's a cruising speed of, I think, 5-10mph? I had a group of friends who's fathers taught martial arts. They'd grown up in it. One of them got locked out of his third story apartment. No problem, they ALL shinnied up the side of the building and onto his balcony in less than 20 seconds. Really. No big.

There's a serious flaw in your logic here. Those examples you gave all have one thing in common: the people doing those things were TRAINED to do so. It didn't come naturally. They had to go through years of it to be able to pull off these feats. I don't know if you've noticed, but most people aren't Jackie Chan. And those are the people most likely to get bitten.

Er...Umm...Silver did say "trained." *points*

Not everybody out there "trains" to be someone like Jackie Chan. Thats something you have to do on your own. Its not like you can get a class at college for it. (Or can you?) Besides...these werewolves needs to be trained to shift into the Gestalt form. If a werewolf doesn't know what it can do, you won't see him do it.

There is athletes that can do amazing things. Being a gymnast requires physical strength, flexibility, and kinesthetic awareness. Imagine if one of them becomes a werewolf.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I overall agree with Excelsia's summary. One comment, however, about intelligence.

While I agree that lycanthropy itself wouldn't boost intelligence, the experience of lycanthropy would be very de-contextualizing for someone, forcing one to experience a different sort of existance. This pries one out of taking certain things for granted, forcing one to think about things that a lot of people don't routinely think about. And that ultimately boosts intelligence, in an angsty, soul-searching sort of way.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...