Wrist pads

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should the gestalt form have a pad on the wrists?

Yes
43%
No
18%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
20%
3 - They’re pretty cool I guess, but they aren’t an obsession
10%
4 - I like werewolves a lot but wouldn’t want to become one
8%

Total votes: 49

Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Wrist pads

Post by Set »

Maybe this will come across as being too picky about the little details, but that's just the perfectionist in me. Blame the star I was born under.

The poll is a result of this:
http://www.calypso-blue.com/werewolf/vi ... 8294#68294

You can guess my answer.
Last edited by Set on Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

This thing?

(Stolen from Goldenwolf)

Personally, I don't mind either way, so long as it doesn't stand out too much. Mostly an aesthetic concern, as I see it.

-- Vilkacis
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

I don't think so. If werewolves evolved natualy like any other animal on earth. their would be certain parts of the anotmy would either be more apparent, evolve, or disapear. the pads on the wrist pads would eventualy disapear, while pads develop on parts on the palms. becuase when the wolf became bipedal there is no more need for pads on the wrists and just eventualy disapear. just like us our earlist ansestors had tails but from one reason and an other the tail disapeared into our bodies and became apes.

but i would like them to be there because they look cool 8)
THE GAME

My Armory
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I took the undecided vote, but that was not the best choice on my part, as I forgot that I could read the thread first. The clarification that we're talking about the dealy on the wrist, as opposed to the thenar and hypothenar pads, makes sense. I vote in favor of the thing, as it's a feature on wolves. My own werewolves have them, though I have neglected to include them in my drawings so far. I tend to take the existing wolf pads without adding any extras, except for toes that haven't receded all the way (i.e. retained first toes in almost human form, early in shifting, form claws and pads, and then recede and disappear if shifting further.)

Evolution tends to discard stuff that isn't used. But, it takes awhile; that's why we have an appendix. (I had mine taken out when it tried to explode in my belly back in 1989.) Besides, a werewolf is a creature that assumes the likeness of two discreet pre-existing organisms; usual trends about what should evolve don't neccessarily apply to a Gestalt form werewolf, which is more an amalgamation of the two seperate evolved forms.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
CrewWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by CrewWolf »

I tend to like the extra pad because it keeps the paw-hand from looking too much like a glove. Otherwise it looks too much like a monkey hand which is a bit too ideal as far as I can tell.
Veruth
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Veruth »

Yeah, I agree. It kinda bridges the gap between human hand and wolf paw. It also makes te gestalt form look more lupine than human, which I like.
Leighlia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stalking the Shadows

Post by Leighlia »

What I want to know is who voted for the "I like to Vote" one. :lol:
Feel the wag!
Merrypaws
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Merrypaws »

I voted for 'undecided'.

Personally I don't mind it, but I really don't see the use of it either.
Do we really need the solution? Couldn't we just enjoy the problem for now?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Scott Gardener wrote:I vote in favor of the thing, as it's a feature on wolves.
Same here, since the gestalt form is a mix of the two.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Lupin wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:I vote in favor of the thing, as it's a feature on wolves.
Same here, since the gestalt form is a mix of the two.
Exactly.
Sanity is relative.
Silver
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silver »

I gotta go with the whole "it bridges the gap" idea. I like it.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

CrewWolf wrote:I tend to like the extra pad because it keeps the paw-hand from looking too much like a glove. Otherwise it looks too much like a monkey hand which is a bit too ideal as far as I can tell.
Then, unless someone else drew that avatar you're using, why does it lack the much loved wrist pad?
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

if i had to say, i'd say yes to the pad. however, i wouldn't be too disapointed if it was missing.
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I'm voting a resounding 'NO'. I think it looks absolutely silly. There are logical reasons for both why it should or should not be there. So, as Reilune said in that other thread, it all comes down to aesthetics. And from my point of view, wrist pads are an aesthetic disaster.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Either one works for me.*shrugs*
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

It dosent really matter to me I guess.
I'm leaning towards 'yes' though. Kindof nifty lookin :nerdwolf:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I wonder if we are going to notice the wrist pad in the 1st place.

Unless there is a scene thats focused on the werewolf's wrist while in gestalt form.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Well, I thought I heard Jack would be showing his human girlfriend a partial shift of his hand. So their would almost certinly need to be a bit of pad-goodness there :D
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Silverclaw wrote:Well, I thought I heard Jack would be showing his human girlfriend a partial shift of his hand. So their would almost certinly need to be a bit of pad-goodness there :D
Hmmm...would a partial shift show the wrist pad?
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Well, it could be budding... :)
Attention to detail is one thing to look forward to hopefully :)
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

I voted "undecided" because I have a weird position on this issue, kind of in the middle. It is anatomically accurate to have them (the front foot "wrist" pad, as I understand it, is a devolved "heel pad" that used to exist, and it is not totally gone because it is still a bit useful as a non-skid device in deep snow or mud). But, we can't always go with anatomically correct. Here are reasons against them:

1) I've noticed that lots of people, the few times they notice these pads on dogs or cats, seem to think it is a surprising thing which shouldn't be there. Therefore, if they see these things in a werewolf movie, it may distract them from the plot and make them think that some kooky anatomical mistake has been made even though it hasn't.

2) On real animals (as opposed to Goldenwolf's art with its oversized paws and heavily emphasized details) these pads are rarely visible. They are underneath when the paw is held at any normal angle, and even when the paw is turned they often hide in the crook of the wrist or the other (opposite the viewer) side of the leg, and fur hides them some too. Therefore, they mostly count as invisible anatomical features that it would be cheaper for the costume-makers to not worry about.
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Ronkonkoma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Going with the moon

Post by Ronkonkoma »

Scott Gardener wrote:I took the undecided vote, but that was not the best choice on my part, as I forgot that I could read the thread first. The clarification that we're talking about the dealy on the wrist, as opposed to the thenar and hypothenar pads, makes sense. I vote in favor of the thing, as it's a feature on wolves. My own werewolves have them, though I have neglected to include them in my drawings so far. I tend to take the existing wolf pads without adding any extras, except for toes that haven't receded all the way (i.e. retained first toes in almost human form, early in shifting, form claws and pads, and then recede and disappear if shifting further.)

Evolution tends to discard stuff that isn't used. But, it takes awhile; that's why we have an appendix. (I had mine taken out when it tried to explode in my belly back in 1989.) Besides, a werewolf is a creature that assumes the likeness of two discreet pre-existing organisms; usual trends about what should evolve don't neccessarily apply to a Gestalt form werewolf, which is more an amalgamation of the two seperate evolved forms.
I voted undecided, because I think that while it maybe an interesting feature, it probably is not used very much so rather than have an actuall 'wristpad' werewolves might have a partial pad of some kind. Though it would make sense to have one, because a thick pad would protect the inside of the wrist where you got a big set of veins and arteries, would definately be an advantage to have a pad there if you got in a fight.

The wristpad could also be a feature that distinguishes bitten Vs born Werewolves, bitten might not have it (or have a partial pad) while born might have the full deal
Kisota

Post by Kisota »

I like the wristpads. It's a visually pleasing detail and is a nice midway point. :D
That WOULD be an interesting "sign" of being a werewolf...maybe having a slight bulge/mark there even as a human. :wink:
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Kiba wrote:That WOULD be an interesting "sign" of being a werewolf...maybe having a slight bulge/mark there even as a human. :wink:
It's an idea, but if you go the opposite way you could tell the difference between a real wolf and a werewolf in wolf form from the lack of a pad.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Another nice thing about it is that it's strictly a wolf feature, not a super-enhanced feature. It doesn't do anything except look lupine. Powergamers in it for the power wouldn't want it, but wolf therians would.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...