Electronics help

The place for anything at all...
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Electronics help

Post by Renorei »

I want to hook my new CD player up to my TV, so that when me and my friends watch movies, the sound will come out the CD player's speakers, and we'll have our own little jr. home theater :D . I have no idea how to do this, or what I need to buy. Any advice?

Both CD player and TV are magnavox. This is my CD player:
http://www.magnavox.com/index.cfm?event ... product=35
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

dose it have an input jack? if it dosen't then you have to insert the speakers in to the tv directly assuming that they can detach and you may hace to buy an adapter

here is a place that has all of the audio s***

http://www.audiogear.com/AudioAdaptersIM.html
Last edited by Anubis on Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE GAME

My Armory
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Can't tell much about it from that page, but I don't know that there's much chance of it working without getting a convertor; I'm no A/V technician, but I've never seen a TV with the right output. If you ran things from a computer (or maybe even a really fancy dvd player), then that's another matter.
Sanity is relative.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Yeah, I figured I would have to buy a converter or adapter or something. Maybe I should go to radio shack tomorrow...
Razo wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Online sometimes...

Post by Razo wolf »

Try a tape deck adapter for a car, getting the wire through the tape door is a trick but it works pretty darn well.
Shift_
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Razo wolf wrote:Try a tape deck adapter for a car, getting the wire through the tape door is a trick but it works pretty darn well.
I prefer the RF adapters. But probably because I like that FM-quality sound.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: Electronics help

Post by Vuldari »

Excelsia wrote:I want to hook my new CD player up to my TV, so that when me and my friends watch movies, the sound will come out the CD player's speakers, and we'll have our own little jr. home theater :D . I have no idea how to do this, or what I need to buy. Any advice?

That's how my old entertainment center used to be set up.

Your TV needs These connections that say "output" or just "out" by them.
...and your CD player needs identical connections that say "Input" or "Aux In".

Then all you need is a cord like this. Image

I don't know what kind of adapter anyone else is talking about. Your TV either has the sterio RCA outputs or it doesn't. If it does not, then I'm afraid there is NO way to output the audio from your tv to the cd player...adapter or no.

The "Coaxial" cable (aka "RF") connection on your TV is allways only a ONE WAY port..."IN". (As in, input comming from your VCR, DVD player, Cable TV or antenna). VCR's and Cable Boxes have two...IN and OUT...but the TV's will allways only be IN.

However, most TV's made in the last decade at least have sterio RCA "audio" outputs. (For just such a setup.)
The only exeptions to this would be tiny, "portable" TV's (like a 14 inch screen or smaller), which usually do NOT include audio outputs.

Don't do anything silly like wiring up adapters going from the screw-in "Coaxial" port on you TV to the two pronged RCA on the Sterio. It won't work. No signals or Audio are comming OUT of that port.

The CD player is more of a question mark than the TV though. Not all Boomboxes have AUX ("auxiliary"...an external audio source, such as a TV, Mp3 player, Turntable, etc.) input. If not, one could use a convoluted combination of a Car-tape adapter and an RCA>sterio jack adapter to make it work...but that would just be silly.

This is all that you need to know.

Does your CD player have red and white connections on the back like this?

If yes, then they are definately "Inputs" (because these boxes will never "output" through RCA...just the thin speaker cables).

Second...does your TV have a lonely set of Red and White connections on the back, as shown above? (Not a line of Yellow Red and White...just RED and WHITE by themselves.) If so...THAT will be your TV's audio "output".

If you said yes to both questions, just run a sterio RCA cable...

($3-$30...depending on quality. Don't bother spending more than $10 on the cable. A dirt-cheap one will be good enough for that kind of set-up. Check around your house. You may have one just laying around. They are extremely common)

...from the Red and White ports on your TV to the Red and White ports on your CD player and you're done.

If either your TV or your Sterio CD Boombox lacks the RED and WHITE "RCA" connections...then I'm afraid you're screwed.
[spoiler]Well...actually...if your TV has the "outputs" but your CD player doesn't have the "inputs", there is still a way...but it's a little more complicated. ...involves an RCA cable, a specific RCA>sterio jack adapter, and a CD Car "tape deck" adapter... $30 in extra parts. I'd just skip it, really.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Vuldari on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Well, Vuldari beat me to it. :wink:
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

CD Player:

the only real stuff that it has on the back are the input thingies for the speaker cords. For of them, to be precise.

TV:

-coaxial cable
-places for the red, white, and yellow things.

So...I guess that makes me screwed? :(
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Excelsia wrote: -places for the red, white, and yellow things.
How many? My TV has one set for input and left and right RCA adapters for output, for a total of five. If it has a set of audio outputs, then you could probably still use the tape hookup method.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Lupin wrote:
How many? My TV has one set for input and left and right RCA adapters for output, for a total of five. If it has a set of audio outputs, then you could probably still use the tape hookup method.
Just three. Kinda weird when you think about it. My TV isn't that old, only 2001. Sigh. :(
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Excelsia wrote:
Lupin wrote:
Just three. Kinda weird when you think about it. My TV isn't that old, only 2001. Sigh. :(
It would help if you can give us the model # of your TV set.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Excelsia wrote: Just three. Kinda weird when you think about it. My TV isn't that old, only 2001. Sigh. :(

Huh, yeah. My TV is actually older than that, and has audio output.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

One thing Vuldari didn't mention is the type of audio out the TV set may have.

There is "Variable" and "fixed"

Most of the outputs are "fixed." The ones that are "variable" is controlled by the volume on the TV set. Be very carefull if your set uses "variable." The output may be to high if the volume on the set is high.

Also, the TV may have a "speakers on-off" in the setup menu. You may need to turn off the speakers if you want to use the audio outputs in the back. (It depends on the model.)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Electronics help

Post by Figarou »

Excelsia wrote:
Well, since Excelsia provided the CD player, (Mini hifi system) I did a search for the manual.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/m/mas8 ... fu_eng.pdf

From the looks of it, there's no AUX inputs. That means you can't use the RCA output from the TV. (red and white audio cable) Thats if the TV has outputs.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

The model number for the the TV is MS2530 C225. It's a magnavox from 2001. Grrr...why can't everything be simple and possible? Also, I don't know if it helps or not, but our DVD player is a Coby DVD 528.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Oi...

I can find almost NO information on your TV (exept someone complaining about problems with it), your CD player has NO inputs, and you have a $49 DVD player to boot?

I'm sorry if this sounds really harsh...but you can't really expect much when you are working with the cheapest options available.

Also...I've been thinking about it, and I don't think the "Tape Adapter" option would work either. The Tape Deck on a BoomBox wont' play untill the front tape-door is closed...which you couldn't do with a wire comming out of the tape adapter. You would have to drill a hole in the CD player for the cord...which would look awful comming out of the fron like that.

Your DVD player SURELY at least has standard "composite" (the Yellow, Red and White connections) outputs, so you could employ the red and white connections from that if they are not being used, or buy splitters to "split" the audio in two dirrections if you are.

...but since your CD player has NO inputs, I just don't see any options here.

Forcing this to work would require punching a hole in your CD players Tape-Deck, and buying a Tape Adapter ($20), a sterio jack > Sterio RCA adapter ($?), and possibly two composite RCA splitters if your DVD players outputs are being used ($?), plus a plain sterio RCA cable if you don't allready have one($?).

A minimum of $30 in extra costs, plus voiding the warantee on your CD player? ...my advice...don't bother.

If I could see pictures, or at least crude but accurate sketches of the connection layout of all three devices (TV, DVD and CD), I could give you a definate yes or no answer of wheter this is possible or not...but based on what you've been telling me, I'd have to say "no".
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Vuldari wrote:Also...I've been thinking about it, and I don't think the "Tape Adapter" option would work either. The Tape Deck on a BoomBox wont' play untill the front tape-door is closed...which you couldn't do with a wire comming out of the tape adapter. You would have to drill a hole in the CD player for the cord...which would look awful comming out of the fron like that.
Entirely too much work when other solutions exist.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 9298385668
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Vuldari wrote:Also...I've been thinking about it, and I don't think the "Tape Adapter" option would work either. The Tape Deck on a BoomBox wont' play untill the front tape-door is closed...which you couldn't do with a wire comming out of the tape adapter. You would have to drill a hole in the CD player for the cord...which would look awful comming out of the fron like that.

And how are you going to use that product when the TV and the DVD player doesn't have a headphone jack?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

They sell phono -> 1/8" converters you know.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Lupin wrote:

I forgot about those things. Good ones do tend to be pricy, however. (This one is $50+, for example).

That would certainly bypass the tape-deck dilemas...but it would still require a Sterio-RCA > Headphone Jack adapter to connect to the unit.

Also...I wonder if there is any delay when using one of those mini-broadcast devices. If the sound comes out a fraction of a second behind the video, it could be terribly annoying. ...but it certainly would work. You could "tune-in" to the movie with any radio in the house that way.

(I remember going to Drive-In movie theaters where you had to tune your car radio to a certain station to hear the movie. That was soooo long ago. I never see Drive-In theaters any more.)

I don't know what the sound quality or the range is on such devices. However, this does seem to be the most sensable option at the moment, without having to buy a new TV and/or a new Sterio.

=^.^'= ~
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:They sell phono -> 1/8" converters you know.

Really? So she needs a RCA to mini plug and that product from Best Buy.

Ok...Got that Excelsia? Time to spend some money.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Vuldari wrote: I forgot about those things. Good ones do tend to be pricy, however. (This one is $50+, for example).

That would certainly bypass the tape-deck dilemas...but it would still require a Sterio-RCA > Headphone Jack adapter to connect to the unit.

Also...I wonder if there is any delay when using one of those mini-broadcast devices. If the sound comes out a fraction of a second behind the video, it could be terribly annoying. ...but it certainly would work. You could "tune-in" to the movie with any radio in the house that way.

I don't know what the sound quality or the range is on such devices. However, this does seem to be the most sensable option at the moment, without having to buy a new TV and/or a new Sterio.
That was just the first one I saw. The one I own was like $20 at Wal-Mart. The sound quality is pretty good, it depends on the reciever though. The range is about the size of an average-sized room 15-20' in diameter. AFAIK, there isn't any perceptible delay.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Theres also the cassette adapter option.

Its used to plug a portable CD player to a cassette deck. She still needs the RCA to mini plug adapter.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:Theres also the cassette adapter option.

Its used to plug a portable CD player to a cassette deck. She still needs the RCA to mini plug adapter.
Which was ruled out, since the the wire would prevent the casette door from closing.