Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

wewolves' Documentary

Post by Vilkacis »

You can find wewolves' documentary here:
http://www.speedyshare.com/data/5059682 ... wolves.mp4

Discuss it in this thread.
wewolves wrote:I would really appreciate your comments and sugestions (and critiques) along with any help you can provide.

I took a look at your documentary, and I must say that I was a fair bit impressed. Despite its flaws, it managed to hold my interest from the very beginning. The camera-work and composition were very well done.

These are, in my opinion, the biggest weaknesses:

1) The documentary script was by far the biggest weakness in my eyes. While it was interesting to listen to (something many documentaries fail to accomplish, I might add), it was clearly biased from the very beginning. In other words, it seemed like it was not there to give you facts, but unsubstantiated opinions. I would be hesitant to refer to this as an actual documentary, as it establishes no credibility.

Mostly it's the difference between saying, "This is what werewolves are like." and, "This is what werewolves are like in such-and-such culture's lore." In the first you state something as a fact and in the second you state an actual fact. A credible documentary should be composed of facts and solid, logical conclusions, and any speculation should be clearly so.

These other points aren't anywhere near as significant:

2) The camera-work was my favorite part. The portions where the camera took on the werewolf's perspective were a bit disorienting and didn't move as expected. Perhaps this was intentional, but I felt those scenes weren't quite of the same level of quality found elsewhere in the video.

3) The part where the werewolf was silhouetted in front of the moon could use just a bit more polish.

4) Perhaps this is beyond your control, but I had to turn the volume up quite a bit before I could hear it well.

All in all, I thought it was very good. Thanks for sharing :howl:  :oo

-- Vilkacis
wewolves

Post by wewolves »

First: Thanhs for hospitality and many many thanks to Mr Gardener for his kind words (hope you take a look at the documentary ;) ).
Then... dear Vilkacis, your comment is for now the most deep and accurate and I really appreciate it, you have hilighted good performances and some flaws in my project (but please remember it is not the definitive version) as no one else till now.
I would like to send you the full quality dvd (if I only knew a snail mail address!).

I thought the script was fine under classic perspective, I'd like to learn more about your point of view (pm ? whatever you like). I am Italian and I presume something was obviously beyond my language knowledge.
The script is not my work and the voice-person (English mothertongued) told me it was perfectly fine.
My wish is to produce a credible, simple, straigh documentary assuming werewolves do exist. Explaning theories and behavior.
If the script does not match the above criteria... then I need help!

Last: Not a word about the music! It took quite a hard work and I believe it is the best part of the documentary. Something I would not modify.

Thanks again, I'll be back soon.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

The site is being very uncooperative. It first told me I had to wait, and now it's just telling me how many times it's been downloaded. Appearantly somebody's getting it, but at the moment, they're not me.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

That would be me. Sorry. :D

But its already done.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
wewolves

Post by wewolves »

While waiting, you can watch the trailer here:

http://www.wewolves.com/trailer.html

In Italy it is time to go to bed, or to go hunting...
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

wewolves wrote:My wish is to produce a credible, simple, straigh documentary assuming werewolves do exist. Explaning theories and behavior.
If the script does not match the above criteria... then I need help!
It was this clear assumption (that werewolves do exist) I was talking about in my post above. I think it will be very difficult to assume such a thing and still maintain credibility.

However, if it is one of your goals to produce the video from this point of view, then I think you have succeeded in creating something that will be well-received by those with a similar viewpoint. If that is your goal, then I think you have done a good job.

It is my own opinion that the piece would be better without that assumption; however, it is up to you to determine who your primary audience is (this is always a very important consideration).
wewolves wrote:The script is not my work and the voice-person (English mothertongued) told me it was perfectly fine.
Perhaps I was misleading. From a technical and grammatical perspective, the script is perfect. The language was perfect. My issue was with the content, as stated above.
wewolves wrote:Last: Not a word about the music! It took quite a hard work and I believe it is the best part of the documentary. Something I would not modify.
Personally, I think the best music is that which fits in so perfectly that it does not make itself stand out. I think the music was, in this case, well-executed. It enhanced without detracting, so I think I would agree with you: don't change a thing.

-- Vilkacis

(As I was writing this, Lone_Wolf caused me to lose The Game! Oh no!)
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

The Game, Hmmm Ok. Talk about nerdy.

But I dont get how it works,

To think of the game is to lose the game? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!!?! ??
Last edited by Shadow Wulf on Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

OK, figured out the problem from my end--a paranoid firewall. (Next thing you know, my human form will be blocked as ad-ware, and my bite will be accompanied by a virus warning.)
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

(As I was writing this, Lone_Wolf caused me to lose The Game! Oh no!)
The Game! *insert appropeit groan* Now I've lost too!

Well, back to the original subject: My computer claims that it'll take three hours for this to load, sounds interesting enough though, so I'll see if I can get to it tomorrow.
:D
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I got to see it!

I can see what you mean about the audio vs. video; the music is great, but the visuals are a bit more rudamentary. They've got a lot of feeling, however.

A few questions about the info content. The "alpha" versus "beta" werewolves, and the internal ranking--I haven't really come across those terms in classic legends, and many of the things described in the video seem to be more from more contemporary sources, such as the "sever the bloodline to be cured," which I first saw in the "Werewolf" TV series in 1989 as a variant of American Werewolf in London's severing the bloodline to let the dead rest. And, is the legend of the flower genuine? I've heard that it traced back to the 1935 movie Werewolf of Paris.

Well aware that people have debated things like the ergot theory, your account of it makes sense from the description of the 1950s outbreak.

I was left hanging, though, when you mentioned "theriomorphism"; I thought you'd get back to it and detail it a bit more. Being a therianthrope myself, I was curious to hear what you had to say about me.

Again, great soundtrack.
wewolves

Post by wewolves »

Well, here I'm back again.

To Vilkacis:
We have different points of perspective, that does not mean we can not talk about it.
My documentary is featuring something pertaining the fantasy world and as for any fantasy work the audience is supposed to accept some basic rules.
My work isn't a reportage about real facts or an investigation to determine IF werewoves do exist, neither I need to demonstrate they are real. I simply assumed they are part of our world in one way or another... Then I simply asked myself: Would not it be possible to show and tell what a werewolf is (or is supposed to be), the cultural background, the main theories and general behaviour?
Definitively I like the point of view I have choosen, but please know I respect yours.

To Mr. Gardener:
Please remember the documentary you have downloaded is just... well, I would define it as a "visual script", something I needed to test the idea, the team, the whole process, our capabilities. More than an animated storyboard but not a definitive product. I have placed an appropiate warning in the download page.
And... yes, now I know the visual component is too week if compared to the audio. At this stage the team was focused on the camera work and the actors performances and we were also experimenting shooting without any artificial light.
You are right, we did not include theriomorphism, yet.
That is a very difficoult part to show and we are working on it. I think we had some good ideas but none has been approved yet.
Script discrepancies: I'll torture the writer, for I asked for a classic worldwide well- accepted script!

I enjoyed sharing my work and will appreciate more comments.
It would be nice to learn more from all of you.

Thanks
kunalopex
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by kunalopex »

I've sow the video and downloaded soundtrack.
Its a great idea! Very informaative. You may like it or not but it took my interest.
i m not a movie expert nor an experienced were.I dont know much about werewolves and this movie was nice to view.
The lack is only about terians.
I loved the atmosphere and the music!