Blu-ray and HD-DVD players.

The place for anything at all...
navalagVLK
Legendary
Legendary

Post by navalagVLK »

In all fairness, I can't see either of these formats getting too far off the starting line.

While I have noticed some issues with quality on DVDs, it's never anything worth forking out for a brand new player. Every DVD and every DVD player takes, in some shape or form, advantage of our surround sound.
From what I've gathered here, either player will require an entirely new sound system or player to take full advange of the god-knows-how-much you paid for your movie. People have just finished dealing with that changie thing, for the most part, why would that want to do it again? So soon?

Also, with these shiney new players there's gonna be this multi-platform stuff. It'll be like owning a Playstation, and not owning a Gamecube kinda thing.
You won't be able to enjoy a standardized media with a single player because two companies continue to duke it out. (Where's the appeal in buying two players? More space for them to take up, more money to spend on them, more fiddling around discs, cables such.) I can see, for example, gamers dealing with this format rivalry. But I just can't see the Nuclear Family type dealing with this. I'd half-expect them to utterly ignore Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and firmly stick to DVD.

I imagine video stores will be reluctant too. When DVD arrived for the first time, it was just a single format. Nothing too hectic to take the risk on, but now there's gonna be two platforms working with two publishers, both, pretty much, against your consumer and your average store.

I can see the hype, I can see the "15 minutes" of fame, I can see a few people adopting it.... But I just can't imagine it becoming the norm to say "Let's head down to the video shop and pick out a Blu-Ray or HD DVD"!

The point I'm bringing up here is: Will the masses even want to change? With VHS there was a reason. The format was clunky, crap quality, crap, breakable, very likely to degrade over time, crap. And did I mention that it wasn't very good? (Not that DVDs are invincible or anything) But there's no outstanding issues with DVDs... Is there?

(Though, from an information storage point of view, things are looking kinda groovy! :D)

And, eh, P.S.: I'm all semi-pro-change really. (More indifferent. As long as all my movies end up on one format. I don't want every company coming out with their own crappy disc thing trying to be the next bandwagon). Although, upon asking some cousins, friends and family about the topic of upgrading to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD it's really been a resounding "No".

There's my thoughts on yonder subject anyway! Hold yer buyin' horses until these things prove their worth, at least! :wink: Otherwise, have fun flitting between two formats and choosing between which publisher-thing you like best :)
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Well, I'm not going to get a HD-DVD or BluRay player anytime soon.

Here is why.

http://www.dvdexclusive.com/article.asp?articleID=2657

My HDTV is a 1st generation model. Meaning, no HDMI inputs.

That sucks, royally!! :supermad:

Stupid studios and thier copyright crap!!! Don't they realize people can make exact DVD copies on thier PC? When Blu-ray come out for the PC, people will soon make exact copies of that also.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Its going to be a while before people will really start buying these products, not because its expensive, but alot of people are still enjoying DVD's quite a bit and the industry are moving ahead too fast. Tapes have been around for about 40 years I think, and then the DVD was invented, did you noticed how many people brought it when it first came out? Thats because it was something completely fesh and people were ready to move on> DVD's has been around for only 8 years or so and all of a sudden we have HD DVD and Blue Ray Discs. Its down right rediculous if you ask me.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Do we really need more than 480 lines of resolution and 5.1 channels of audio?

:Duckietoss:

OK, Fig, I guess some of us do. But, most people don't. So, if you tell them these other formats cost twice as much, aren't compatable with each other, and include cripple-ware for analog inputs, that's going to keep this baby's adoption papers up for grabs for awhile..
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:Do we really need more than 480 lines of resolution and 5.1 channels of audio?

:Duckietoss:

OK, Fig, I guess some of us do. But, most people don't. So, if you tell them these other formats cost twice as much, aren't compatable with each other, and include cripple-ware for analog inputs, that's going to keep this baby's adoption papers up for grabs for awhile..

When I 1st bought my HDTV, I was told its was future proof. Surrrrre it is.

"HDTV ready" my a**!! :x
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Ahh yes. You cant beat the good old fashion television. :D
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Figarou wrote:When I 1st bought my HDTV, I was told its was future proof. Surrrrre it is.

It probably was, for reasonable values of 'future', but you can't expect that to hold indefinitely.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
Figarou wrote:When I 1st bought my HDTV, I was told its was future proof. Surrrrre it is.

It probably was, for reasonable values of 'future', but you can't expect that to hold indefinitely.

Not within a few years!!! :x Especially when the HDTV format is still brand new!!!

Edit...

I know a DVD player won't play on a 50 year old TV set. Thats because the old set doesn't have the video inputs. But forcing a downgrade so your HDTV doesn't display a HD picture is different.

How would you like it if you buy a color TV set only to have everything shown in black and white?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

OK, I'm seeing the Olympics in HDTV, a 1080i signal down-converted to a 720x1280 or so TV. So, yes, we do need more than 480 lines of resolution, but do we need more than 720?
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:OK, I'm seeing the Olympics in HDTV, a 1080i signal down-converted to a 720x1280 or so TV. So, yes, we do need more than 480 lines of resolution, but do we need more than 720?

I heard the Olympics in HDTV was terrible. Still images looked great while the stuff moving fast on the screen pixalized.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Actually, the images are pretty spectacular. It's the signal that's screwy. It keeps cutting in and out every now and then. We lost part of the opening ceremonies, one of the best parts.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image