missing matter

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Human witness: There were these two huge wolves. I mean, they must have weighed 200 pounds!

Werewolf lady in human form: What?!? You take that back! There's no way that wolf weighed more than 120!

Werewolf companion male in human form: What she means is, wolves in nature can appear fairly large, but it's rare for them to weigh more than 120. Usually they're closer to 70 or 80 pounds.

Werewolf lady: Uh huh. Tell me those wolves didn't look that big.

Witness: Well, they were pretty big. I really think they could have been 200 pounds.

Werewolf lady: You're wrong! You take that back!

Witness: It was all muscle, I'm sure.

Werewolf lady: Darn right it was!
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Goldenwolf wrote:When he shifted back, the matter would slough off of him like ectoplasm or some sort of slime, returning him to normal until the waxing half moon. I always thought that was interesting.

werewolf 1(In Gestalt form)- *looks at slime on floor* "All right, who made the mess on the kitchen floor!!

werewolf 2 (In Gestalt form) "Don't look at me."

werewolf 3 (In Gestalt form) "I didn't do it."

werewolf 1,2, and 3 *looks at werewolf #4*

werewolf 4 (In human form) "Why is everyone looking at me?"
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Figarou wrote:
Goldenwolf wrote:When he shifted back, the matter would slough off of him like ectoplasm or some sort of slime, returning him to normal until the waxing half moon. I always thought that was interesting.

werewolf 1(In Gestalt form)- *looks at slime on floor* "All right, who made the mess on the kitchen floor!!

werewolf 2 (In Gestalt form) "Don't look at me."

werewolf 3 (In Gestalt form) "I didn't do it."

werewolf 1,2, and 3 *looks at werewolf #4*

werewolf 4 (In human form) "Why is everyone looking at me?"
LOL :lol:
THE GAME

My Armory
Darum
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darum »

heres an idea, a WW's bones are a tiny bit bigger, also, they could have cartiledge and bone deposites through-out theyr body, if you look at the paw/hand on the freeborn website, the hand and fingers look alot smaller, which could mean that werewolves niether lose nor gain mass, it just goes in one place and comes out another (with the exception of fur. unless it gets hidden beneath skin?) but even then, the virus would have to be programed to make all this happen co-ordinatedly, somehow.... so magic might be it. but only a little... or that's how i see it anyway...

........this seemed to make alot more sence when it was just a thought as opposed to it being writen...hmm...
Last edited by Darum on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"every set-back, a step foward. every failure, an extra oportunity for success. every day of defeat, a victory!"
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

heh...why explain whats going on with the werewolf. Its going to be a mystery no matter what. Where the extra mass comes from is going to be hard to explain.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Yes Figarou.

No one should know the extra mass really comes from Rubber duckies...

<_<
>_>

:lol:
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Aki wrote:Yes Figarou.

No one should know the extra mass really comes from Rubber duckies...

<_<
>_>

:lol:

Mmmm Hmmm........To much mass from rubber duckies will result in this------> :toxicduckie:
greniar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the scholar

Post by greniar »

according to the law of conversion of mass no extra matter an be present after a chemical change. the change that a werewolf goes through would be Physical ,correct? :?
GRIFFON:I'm Griffon ,and I'm a werewolf
GIRL:your crazy!
GRIFFON:Perhaps I was too forward.
greniar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: the scholar

Post by greniar »

for a more mythical reason i wrote a story about a werewolf that got the extra mass from an "Infinity Void" that he created which in the story was something that demons used to transform into things and it was filled with an infinite amount of matter 8)
GRIFFON:I'm Griffon ,and I'm a werewolf
GIRL:your crazy!
GRIFFON:Perhaps I was too forward.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

greniar wrote:according to the law of conversion of mass no extra matter an be present after a chemical change. the change that a werewolf goes through would be Physical ,correct? :?
Well, the first law of thermodynamics applies to all processes, and pretty much anything that goes on in the body involves a chemical reaction somewhere.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

well a black hole actes like it has infinite matter....Ok this is a long shot but it could fill pokets in the body with air.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

dnl wrote:well a black hole actes like it has infinite matter....Ok this is a long shot but it could fill pokets in the body with air.
Huh..?

Its just a huuuuge gravity well that pulls stuff in and crushes into to a infintitly small little particle. Theres no 'infinite matter' about it. Just as assload of gravitatial force.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Aki wrote:Its just a huuuuge gravity well that pulls stuff in and crushes into to a infintitly small little particle. Theres no 'infinite matter' about it. Just as assload of gravitatial force.
Yeahm if the sun turned into a black hole *right now* the only thing we would notice is that it got really dark.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Ok, I didn't read the whole thread because I'm lazy. But, here's my opinion:

SCREW PHYSICS!!!!!!

Make them grow a lot taller and pack on some muscle (but not so much as to restrict movement). Don't bother trying to explain it. Just make a werewolf that will be aesthetically appealing to the average audience member. They'll be a lot more pissed if we have a realistic werewolf that doesn't live up to typical werewolf expectations than if we have a rather unrealistic werewolf that lives up to expectations perfectly and can't be explained logically.

In other words, make an average guy turn into THISand don't bother trying to explain why. After all, we are indeed talking about bones shifting and reforming, and hair follicles materializing and all that. That is quite impossible, yet that will happen in this film anyway. So, why not be just a little more impossible and achieve a more physically beautiful result?
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :crazy:

How about a simpler solution: make them beautiful but don't make such a significant change to mass that's going to be easily noticed. If they grow an inch and gain a small amount of muscle, in all honesty, I'm probably not gonna notice the first time I see it. Anything else will get picked apart by the scientifically minded. And, in a film that's trying to portray werewolves as real creatures instead of fantasy beasts, not keeping to realism would potentially ruin it.

For example...in movies where there's something wrong, even if not glaringly obvious, I can't sit and watch it without picking that detail apart. I have to analyze it and therefore I can't just sit back and enjoy it. It makes the movie pretty much unwatchable as a result.
dnl
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: one wrapped in shadows

Post by dnl »

If a black hole was to replace are sun. It takes 12 years for Jupiter to orbite tha sun. It would only take 27 hours for Jupiter to orbite a black hole. This black hole would be 300,000 times as massive as our own sun.
There a super black hole about 12.7bn lightyear's away that's generating energy at the rate of twenty trillion suns...This one is billion times more massive than our sun.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Renorei wrote:

SCREW PHYSICS!!!!!!

Says Renorei as she floats of into space :lol:
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

dnl wrote:If a black hole was to replace are sun. It takes 12 years for Jupiter to orbite tha sun. It would only take 27 hours for Jupiter to orbite a black hole. This black hole would be 300,000 times as massive as our own sun.
I didn't say 'replace' I said 'turn into', which means that it would have exactly the same mass as our sun. The only thing that would change is that the radius of the sun would go from 70,000km to 3km, and the solar system would freeze.
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

I've always been a heated believer in not explaining everything. That just takes the fun out of things at times.

For all intensive purposes I don't want my fantastic werewolves to be itty-bitty-man-things because, well, that makes sense. Durr...!

We're talking about werewolves; spare me the nobility of reality.

Any creature that would meet me or my friends at eye level is probably not going to be noted as anything unusual. (I live on Long Island. There's strange folk down here...)

Granted, I want my werewolves to be BIG. Like... BIG. 8 feet is pretty good, 9 is better.

Where does all that mass come from?

Who knows...
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Lupin wrote:
dnl wrote:If a black hole was to replace are sun. It takes 12 years for Jupiter to orbite tha sun. It would only take 27 hours for Jupiter to orbite a black hole. This black hole would be 300,000 times as massive as our own sun.
I didn't say 'replace' I said 'turn into', which means that it would have exactly the same mass as our sun. The only thing that would change is that the radius of the sun would go from 70,000km to 3km, and the solar system would freeze.
Something tells me that if the sun turned into a black hole, we wouldn't worry about freezing, as all of us on Earth would have about 8 minutes to fret before we get sucked in.
Ink wrote:I've always been a heated believer in not explaining everything. That just takes the fun out of things at times.

For all intensive purposes I don't want my fantastic werewolves to be itty-bitty-man-things because, well, that makes sense. Durr...!

Any creature that would meet me or my friends at eye level is probably not going to be noted as anything unusual. (I live on Long Island. There's strange folk down here...)

Granted, I want my werewolves to be BIG. Like... BIG. 8 feet is pretty good, 9 is better.

Who knows...
I like Clydesdale-sized 'wolves, myself.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I've become a bit more open-minded about the mass issue, but only because I've come to appreciate the idea of the werewolf as a metaphysical concept that doesn't neccessarily conform to physics.

In stories where it's definitely a virus, you've made a commitment to general science. And thus, you're going to have to deal with the consequences.

If, however, you're making it something other than a virus, such as some sort of metaphysical transcendance or Matrix style reality loophole, then physics can step aside. However, if you do this, you're also free of other obligations, such as grace periods between infection and first change (i.e. on a full moon night, getting bit and shifting right away), or the dreadfully painful first transformation--it could instead make you feel, say, warm and fuzzy, or relaxed, like a cup of tea on a cool spring afternoon. Maybe it's relaxing and Zen-like. Or, maybe it's still horribly painful.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Ink wrote:I've always been a heated believer in not explaining everything. That just takes the fun out of things at times.

Who knows...
When I read both of these statements, my first thought was a resounding 'AMEN'!!!
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Renorei wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:

Who knows...
When I read both of these statements, my first thought was a resounding 'AMEN'!!!
How about "Uuza Uru Ugaro" instead?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Apokryltaros wrote:
Renorei wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:

Who knows...
How about "Uuza Uru Ugaro" instead?
:lol: It would be awesome if those worked. :grinwiggle:
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Renorei wrote: :lol: It would be awesome if those worked. :grinwiggle:
Oh yes...
-Calculon