"Tales from the Dark Side" Episode

The place for anything at all...
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

"Tales from the Dark Side" Episode

Post by Howling Fan »

This is kinda off topic, but it does involve werecreatures. I was wondering if anyone remembered watching a show in the late '80s that was an anthology of horror/thriller/suspense stories, like "The Twilight Zone." It might have been "Tales from the Dark Side," "The New Twilight Zone," or Steven Spielberg's "Amazing Stories," but I can't remember. It wasn't "Tales from the Crypt." Anyway, they had this one episode about an old, mysterious man moving into a small, peaceful community. Everyone is afraid of him and calls him a monster, except for a 10-year-old boy, the main character. The boy befriends the man, visiting him after school, and doesn't understand why people won't talk to him. Now, here's the twist (and also how this relates to this forum): At the end of the episode, there's a full moon. The boy's father is arguing loudly in the living room about what a "menace" the old man is to the community. Suddenly, he starts coughing and sneezing rather violently, to the point that his nose starts bleeding. Soon, we see pieces of his skin flaking off. The boy gets scared and hides behind a sofa, and the camera closes up on his arm, which bubbles, grows, and turns brown. Then we cut to an exterior shot of everyone in the community leaving their houses as monsters. I don't think they were werewolves, but they were like demons. They invade the old man's house, who's still human, and kill him. Of course, the obvious twist was that EVERYONE in the town was a monster EXCEPT the old man they feared. I guess, to a werecreature, someone who can't change is considered a threat and frightening. It was kind of like the old, black-and-white "Twilight Zone" episode where the beautiful woman was considered ugly cos everyone else in the world was horrific looking, like "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Anyway, I thought people might be interested about this episode. Does anyone else remember watching it, or am I just going crazy with this weird story in my head?? ??
What Mafia
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Mafia? Not that I'm aware of...
Mood: Depressed

Post by What Mafia »

I -think- i remember... wonder if there are any pics on google...
It's a shame an entire family can be torn up by something as simple as wild dogs.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

I don't remeber that one, though there were a couple Tales from the Crypt werewolf episodes, my favorite is The Secret, where the vampires adopt a yound boy only to fatten him up and eat him..unfortunatly he turns out to be a werewolf ! " I'm a werewolf !...and I have a hunger for vampire ! :lol:

There was also supposed to be a werewolf episode of the tv show Monsters that came on SciFi but I haven't seen it.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

I recall seeing what you are talking about Howling Fan, but Im afraid I don't remember what it was from either. All I remember was the *Everyone in the town turning into a disgusting monster...save one* part, and how totally confused I was afterward. ...though I could almost swear that it WAS "Tales From the Crypt". It was years ago, so I'm just not sure.
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howling Fan »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:I don't remeber that one, though there were a couple Tales from the Crypt werewolf episodes, my favorite is The Secret, where the vampires adopt a yound boy only to fatten him up and eat him..unfortunatly he turns out to be a werewolf ! " I'm a werewolf !...and I have a hunger for vampire ! :lol:

There was also supposed to be a werewolf episode of the tv show Monsters that came on SciFi but I haven't seen it.
I saw that "Monsters" werewolf episode, and it sucked. You didn't miss anything. Basically, it was a parody of a sitcom and the film "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" where a werewolf family meets their daughter's fiancee, and he's a werecoyote, so they don't get along. The father, I think, was played by the father of Jerry (or George?) in "Seinfeld." Another "Tales from the Crypt" werewolf/vampire episode I liked involved Pierce Brosnon (yep, James Bond himself) playing a detective tracking down a werewolf. He thinks it's this woman he's dating, but at the end of the episode, it turns out that HE was the werewolf, without even knowing, and the girl is actually a vampire. She tells him, when he's the wolf, "Stupid werewolves. Always so brutish and boorish." Something like that. Anyway, there was a decent TF scene, at least for network T.V. You see his back grow and rip through his shirt, his nails grow, and his face grows a little.
As for the person who thinks my original post was from a "Tales from the Crypt" episode, I know it wasn't, because I saw it in the late '80s, and during that time, that show was only on cable T.V., and I grew up without any cable at all, even basic. I was a deprived little were. :cry:
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by RedWolf »

The "Twilight Zone" episode you described, entitled "Monsters," actually involves werewolves and vampires. The old man actually is a vampire, not a normal human. Due to some sort of "allergic" reaction, the werewolf TF of the villagers is triggered by the presence of the vampire. Vampires are feared not because they are monsters, but because when they come near "normal" humans, the humans themselves become hideous monsters and are driven to hunt down the vampires.

Episode #36: "Monsters"
Broadcast 24-Jan-1986

Websites:
http://tzone.the-croc.com/ntzeplist/monsters.html
http://www.tvtome.com/TwilightZone_1985/guide.html
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

RedWolf wrote:The "Twilight Zone" episode you described, entitled "Monsters," actually involves werewolves and vampires. The old man actually is a vampire, not a normal human. Due to some sort of "allergic" reaction, the werewolf TF of the villagers is triggered by the presence of the vampire. Vampires are feared not because they are monsters, but because when they come near "normal" humans, the humans themselves become hideous monsters and are driven to hunt down the vampires.

Episode #36: "Monsters"
Broadcast 24-Jan-1986

Websites:
http://tzone.the-croc.com/ntzeplist/monsters.html
http://www.tvtome.com/TwilightZone_1985/guide.html
Thats it! Thanks RedWolf. :)
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Howling Fan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Howling Fan »

Yeah, that's definitley the episode I saw. I knew it wasn't "Tales from the Crypt." See, it was so long ago, and I was so young when I watched it (I was only 9 in 1986) that I forgot the details of the story, i.e., the old man was actually a vampire, and it was his fault the townspeople turned into creatures. I personally like my original memory better, since I've never heard of vampires turning people into monsters just because they're near them. Anyway, thanks for the post. So I'm not crazy after all.
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Howling Fan wrote:
Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:I don't remeber that one, though there were a couple Tales from the Crypt werewolf episodes, my favorite is The Secret, where the vampires adopt a yound boy only to fatten him up and eat him..unfortunatly he turns out to be a werewolf ! " I'm a werewolf !...and I have a hunger for vampire ! :lol:

I saw that "Monsters" werewolf episode, and it sucked. You didn't miss anything. Basically, it was a parody of a sitcom and the film "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" where a werewolf family meets their daughter's fiancee, and he's a werecoyote, so they don't get along. The father, I think, was played by the father of Jerry (or George?) in "Seinfeld." Another "Tales from the Crypt" werewolf/vampire episode I liked involved Pierce Brosnon (yep, James Bond himself) playing a detective tracking down a werewolf. He thinks it's this woman he's dating, but at the end of the episode, it turns out that HE was the werewolf, without even knowing, and the girl is actually a vampire. She tells him, when he's the wolf, "Stupid werewolves. Always so brutish and boorish." Something like that. Anyway, there was a decent TF scene, at least for network T.V. You see his back grow and rip through his shirt, his nails grow, and his face grows a little.

As for the person who thinks my original post was from a "Tales from the Crypt" episode, I know it wasn't, because I saw it in the late '80s, and during that time, that show was only on cable T.V., and I grew up without any cable at all, even basic. I was a deprived little were. :cry:
I've seen that Tales ep. but I didn't like how the vamp won so to speak.....

That's odd the Monsters ep. had werecoyotes in it.....you don't hear to much about them as far as films go. I did find out about a second Monsters werewolf ep. called Werewolf of Hollywood based a story by Steven King.
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Joey Liverwurst
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Joey Liverwurst »

Blade-of-the-Moon wrote:I saw that "Monsters" werewolf episode, and it sucked. You didn't miss anything. Basically, it was a parody of a sitcom and the film "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" where a werewolf family meets their daughter's fiancee, and he's a werecoyote, so they don't get along.
Werehyena, actually, and therefore not a predator but a scavenger.

Hi.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

There was this one thing I saw a few years back while channel-flipping; it was part of one of those compilation series, but I do not remember which one. I do remember that it was based on a short story by Robert Block.

A group of teens were investigating reports of a vampire, and they put the pieces together that this one man seemed to be responsible. So, they go to his house, garlic, stakes, and crucifixes in hand, ready to confront him.

The man laughs and explains one by one all the coincidences away, however, and it turns out he's entirely innocent. He laughs and says, "as you can see, I'm not a vampire." Then the full moon comes out, and he starts to grow fangs and tufts of fur...
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...