Wolves considered for removal from endagered species list

The place for anything at all...
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

vrikasatma wrote:..... And here in Oregon, white-tailed deer — yes, white-tailed deer — cannot be hunted because they're on the threatened list here...
... Well, isn't that kind of dangerous? admittedly, CWD hasn't yet gotten into Oregon, but, it could...

CWD= Chronic Wasting Disease, deer/elk version of Mad Cow

(It's not that widespread, but it is something to think about when addressing laws about wild animal hunting)
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

Eek psyco deer. Just what we needed.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

And people think killing is inhumane. Look what slow death does.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

It's sad really..Even when on the endangered species list wolves have still been killed because humans don't like the fact that wolves were killing of their game they thought to be rightfully theirs!! To me them being taken off the list isn't the best plan of action because then the wolves won't have a chance and they will be back on that list in a matter of time, because so many hate them..I quote this from some people who have said this on a DVD called wolves...
The wolf is a piece of monkey Sh**!! Why should we give a Fu** about them!! Also people state again and again: The Wolf is a killer!!
I look at this and say to these humans if I was there" Why not look at your fellow humans there!! Rapist,Homicial manaics, Kidnapping, terriorist and all these constant wars going on in the world and your worried about an innocent animal that kills because it has to survive!! There's no excuse for a person to murder a child or people to blow up buildings killing hundreds of innocent people, I mean who is the real killing?!"

I just see their reason for killing is not only for sport, for dominace. Wolves could care less for that, the only look to survive. Instead of killing them of, try to make some type of agreement with the system, but no one thinks about that..no one ever does..killing or hurting something is always the solution and the wolf killings going on in Alaska right now is no different..Those wolves are far away form any and everyone, doing now harm whatsoever, but they are being MURDERED!! A human that kills another human dies from lethal injection or the chair, a wolf dies for killing for food purposes and pays the price with it's life..It never touched any human...They suffer for nothing at all!! They were here first to begin with, but since these folks decide to move in on there territory all HELL breaks loose, blood is shed, life is lost, end of story... Humans have many reasons to hunt and I'll name off a few even though you know them...For food and clothing, for sport and to me especailly with the wolves..POWER The wolves are running out of space to run and hunt also places to live and raise their young.. But they had no idea this was going to happen and they can't do anything about it but run and find a new dwelling, but eventually it seems that humans will take over even that..It makes you wonder why we can't coexsist with this animal when it helps us all..I can never understand and will never understand why some people think the way they do..It so sad it is...
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

While I understand what you're saying Sabre, I also don't agree with you.

Wolves have a tendency to kill more than their fair share. There's nothing harmonious or balanced about wolves, they're animals and they have destructive habits too. No sense in putting them on a pedestal. Put them in a pen with some sheep and they will kill -all- the sheep. Why? God, why does my dog INSIST on chasing cats? It's a thrill.

They are killers, like we're killers -- it makes neither better or worse in the end. Unless you start pinning up cultural taboos -- which the wolf has none of, making the analysis faulty.

Likewise, it's something that can't be judged. On the same token people who hate the wolf and are fanatical about the wolf are two sides of a tolken nobody sensible wants to listen to. There's no reason in throwing "Kill them all!"'s and "Save every last one!"'s at each other...

The wolf WILL survive. Why? Because every major city has an ourpouring of grief that values into the many millions (because they believe every last word they're told) and every farmer has heard a story or seen a wolf so they're ready to lock and load (because they believe every last word they were told).

Then nobody talks to each other and nobody wants to listen.

Who's stuck in the middle? The people who're working their asses off to save the damn wolf. Who are the people with the information about how we must interact to keep the peace, and how to keep them from dwindling. These are the people that make the decisions everybody points fingers at... because everybody else is in middle of a squabble about what's right and what's wrong and how much the other person is lesser of a person because blahblahblah.

Just because they might be taken off the Endangered Species list, a rather biased list of things going extinct we like (forgetting all those bad things we've eradicated or are currently trying to kill which nobody cares about), does not mean that people are going to go out there wielding axes and flame throwers in order to abuse the population of wolves and kill them off so cunningly.

:D
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Ink wrote:While I understand what you're saying Sabre, I also don't agree with you.

Wolves have a tendency to kill more than their fair share.
Define "fair share."
Ink wrote:There's nothing harmonious or balanced about wolves, they're animals and they have destructive habits too.
You could say the same for the same reasons about any animal, even the herbivores. But most people tend to mean 'working well with the natural system' when they say those words, and wolves do that just as well as most other creatures, and a hell of a lot better than we do.
Ink wrote:No sense in putting them on a pedestal. Put them in a pen with some sheep and they will kill -all- the sheep. Why? God, why does my dog INSIST on chasing cats? It's a thrill.
Wrong. On the first count, referring to the sheep, that's because domestic sheep are supremely screwed up, as inbreeding tends to do, and 'send' all the wrong 'signals' in comparison with their wild counterparts. The wolf evolved with the wild equivalents, and doesn't have any low-level handling of domestic animals in general. With a prey animal like sheep, it's quite apparent. At the root, the wolf is killing for food, both immidiate and for storage and later consumption.

On the second count, the dogs-chasing-cats thing, the cause is simple territorial nature.
Ink wrote:They are killers, like we're killers -- it makes neither better or worse in the end.
Any carnivore is a killer, as are most omnivores, and it could be argued that a large number of herbivores also share that trait. Why is it relevant?
Ink wrote:Unless you start pinning up cultural taboos -- which the wolf has none of, making the analysis faulty.
Again, why is this relevant? We're not discussing cultural outlook here.
Ink wrote:Likewise, it's something that can't be judged.
What, exactly, is something that can't be judged?
Ink wrote:On the same token people who hate the wolf and are fanatical about the wolf are two sides of a tolken nobody sensible wants to listen to. There's no reason in throwing "Kill them all!"'s and "Save every last one!"'s at each other...
Agreed on that point. If for no other reason than "Saving every last one" is effectively impossible, and if we're going to consider it morally right to hunt anything, there's no logical reason the wolf should be excluded, although I'm sure most of us would like it to be.
Ink wrote:The wolf WILL survive. Why? Because every major city has an ourpouring of grief that values into the many millions (because they believe every last word they're told) and every farmer has heard a story or seen a wolf so they're ready to lock and load (because they believe every last word they were told).
However, the balance could tilt one way or the other, potentially making the wolf extinct. Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't make such broad generalizations; there are certainly people in each location that believe each side.
Ink wrote:Then nobody talks to each other and nobody wants to listen.
This is the case with the extreme opposition on just about any discussion.
Ink wrote:Who's stuck in the middle? The people who're working their asses off to save the damn wolf. Who are the people with the information about how we must interact to keep the peace, and how to keep them from dwindling. These are the people that make the decisions everybody points fingers at... because everybody else is in middle of a squabble about what's right and what's wrong and how much the other person is lesser of a person because blahblahblah.
I don't follow your logic there. I would think that they'd be on the pro-wolf side, only typically with more accurate reasons than usual.
Ink wrote:Just because they might be taken off the Endangered Species list, a rather biased list of things going extinct we like (forgetting all those bad things we've eradicated or are currently trying to kill which nobody cares about), does not mean that people are going to go out there wielding axes and flame throwers in order to abuse the population of wolves and kill them off so cunningly.
No, but it does mean we're one step closer to a biased politician ordering a "population control" operation. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing; it's so one sided at all.

Yes, there are other things not receiving nearly enough attention, and things we probably don't even realize we're killing off, but that's not entirely relevant. Here, a large portion of us for some reason or other have an interest in the survival of the wolf in particular. There are places out there where the same'll be true for large cats, or any number of other things.
Sanity is relative.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Responding to Ink

Again, wolves kill for survival, why do humans kill wolves? Wolves are natural predators and yes they do kill, but there is plenty to go around for everyone, but nobody looks at that, no on ever does..It's sad like I said before. You say wolves kill more than their fair share? What fair share do you speak of?

You could say that about humans then right? Humans kill for sport, at least wolves eat what they kill. They might leave the kill and come back for it later.. The people that kill for sport care nothing more than for a trophy or something to commend them for killing something, but then where do the rest of the body go to?

They don't always eat what they kill, wolves do..Humans are the ones that kill more than their fair share if you want to point fingers at someone look at those facts!! Yes wolves will survive, but so will humans, but that doesn't stop humans from killing them!! Wolves get into fights with one another and sometimes result in blood shed and death..

Humans kill them for just being there, for taking up there land that was theirs in the first place.. I will never think anything badly of the wolf and I have sen no reason why I should..

A wolf will run away from a human, becuase it's natural for them to have this fear, but a human will chase down a wolf a shoot it dead!! I can't understand why no body seems to get it...
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

But, I'm thinking that the point Ink is trying to make is that cattle ranchers, Republicans, and hunters aren't eagerly waiting with rubbed hands and diabolic grins for the very second when the timber wolf is taken off the endangered species list so that they can rush into national parks and preserves and annihilate every last wolf on the continent, down to the very last pup.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Apokryltaros wrote:But, I'm thinking that the point Ink is trying to make is that cattle ranchers, Republicans, and hunters aren't eagerly waiting with rubbed hands and diabolic grins for the very second when the timber wolf is taken off the endangered species list so that they can rush into national parks and preserves and annihilate every last wolf on the continent, down to the very last pup.
While that point is true, I get the impression that Ink's trying to make some more wide-reaching claims.
Sanity is relative.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

To be fair, so is Sabre. I'm referring specifically to the point she made where a human will chase down a wolf to kill it.

None of us here would do that — and I include myself, if I were out hunting and came across a pack of wolves, I'd take the arrow out of my bow and sit and watch them quietly until they moved on. I don't personally know anyone who'd shoot a wolf even if they were hunters. And I know a good many hunters.

It's like saying "If you're Muslim you've got a bomb-making factory in your garage" or "If you're Hispanic you came here illegally" or "If you live in the country, you're a conservative." It's a generalization. The truth of the matter is that hunters will normally go for something that's easy to catch and that they can take home and stock the freezer with. Eat a wolf? Quoth Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka: "Ew!"

I do agree with her point that humans are screwed up and citing the incidence of rape, terrorism, murder, et alia. Canada has a wolf hunting program but they also have tons and tons and tons of deer. Why? Because there's not as many humans up there as there are here. Their population is softer. Less humans = more wildlife habitat/greenspace. It's too late now for us, but let's work on putting the brakes on ourselves first. Hunters are a declining and embattled minority, and we're not going to drive anything to extinction.
ImageImageImageImage
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Myself, I'm more concerned about angry livestock farmers than actual hunters.

I ask nobody in particular: What's the point of trying to decimate the local wolf population if you lose some livestock to feral dogs (or perhaps even actual wolves) when it'd be cheaper, more practical, take less effort, and be more effective to construct improved fences?
Sanity is relative.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Ralith wrote: I ask nobody in particular: What's the point of trying to decimate the local wolf population if you lose some livestock to feral dogs (or perhaps even actual wolves) when it'd be cheaper, more practical, take less effort, and be more effective to construct improved fences?

Revenge.

While it's completely illogical to hold something like that against an animal that is far below us in terms of intelligence, we do.
Kamara
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kamara »

Under the Department's proposal, three out of every four wolves in Idaho's Clearwater National Forest's Lolo district would be killed over the next five years. Entire wolf packs -- including pups -- could be eradicated using aerial gunning and trapping.

This plan is not wolf management -- it's a wolf massacre!

This proposal surfaced less than a week after the Bush administration turned over responsibility for the management of more than 500 wolves to the state of Idaho, where the state legislature has called for the elimination of wolves "by any means necessary."
The current admistration has proved time and time again they are NOT a friend to the environment or wildlife of this country.

Relying on a seriously deficient study, state officials claim that reducing wolf numbers would increase the elk population. But scientists have long identified poor habitat conditions as the cause of low elk numbers. Instead of addressing the real problem, the Department of Fish and Game is using wolves as a scapegoat to appease anti-wolf factions.

I read the OP's link but didnt see this info there so Im posting it now. I have a seriously bad headache so please excuse me if Im posting something thats already been posted.

Wolves actually kill LESS elk than the ratio of deer they kill, because elk are larger animals there is more to eat. They also prey on a large variety of smaller mammals. What kills most ungulates is winter and humans.
Before wolves would deplete an ungulate population they would turn to an alternative prey source giving the population time to bounce back.

There is a petition to send your views about this matter.
Sign by Friday the 17th.

https://secure2.convio.net/dow/site/Adv ... C3Care2GEN

Kamara
"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b****-slap the motherfu*ker upside the head...."
Ink
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ink »

I say this all with the utmost respect and to clearly state I am attempting to get at a bigger picture out there in response. True, it's perhaps shadowed in a thesis practically and jumbled in a concept I'm not sure I've found 100%.

Forgive me my mistakes, please.

If you read slowly you will understand I am writing this not trying to yell or over-feed you stuff -- I'm just slowly trying to give an idea as to where I think people should try to stand and why.

By no means is it something I force on anyone. If you don't like it, forget about it then and let's all move on.

I'm simply putting this out there if you're willing to listen.
I know I wrote a lot. That's apparent. You'll get over it or die unhappy with me. Heh.

Ralith wrote:
Ink wrote:While I understand what you're saying Sabre, I also don't agree with you.

Wolves have a tendency to kill more than their fair share.
Define "fair share."
Fair share: What would have been killed in the wild. Whole flocks wouldn't be rendered lifeless.

Despite what you might think they [wolves] have to live amongst us to survive. Irregardless of how wrong that seems to anybody. They'll abide by us or die by us -- it's not a game of right or wrong it's a pick or choose.

Culture will issue them a ticket for survival, but it might just be in a zoo if they demonstrate what 'wild' animals do -- bring chaos to our world. A world run by products and market value.
Ralith wrote:
Ink wrote:There's nothing harmonious or balanced about wolves, they're animals and they have destructive habits too.
You could say the same for the same reasons about any animal, even the herbivores. But most people tend to mean 'working well with the natural system' when they say those words, and wolves do that just as well as most other creatures, and a hell of a lot better than we do.
Yes and I sort of meant it in that fashion -- Any animal. Including us. Hence the point. Most people don't understand that 'works well with nature' doesn't have anything to do with 'plays nice with others'. Hence my choice of words. The natural world is constantly at war with itself -- it's a world that's neither peaceful or noble or tragic. It's chaos, true and utter freedom. Blood baths and beauty all together in one.

Wolves are beautiful to us but to nature they can do as much damage as they can add to the picture of it. All creatures have that power.

And, to branch off a bit, judging ourselves, animals that are part of this cycle too, won't do anybody any good. It makes people angry and nothing changes. Start changing minds, get the ball moving on something else other than the old, "We're so f*** horrible!"

We can only be so terrible because we continue to attempt to live by that order and continue to live in the degrading fashion that embodies that. I don't see any of you dropping your lifestyle to go live like hunter-gatherers. None of us can gravitate to that because to do that would to be like becoming less than human and to do that would mean society itself would reject us. That and we're of no use to the species if we wander off.

We just end up in limbo having done nothing but put ourselves out for the wolves... this time literally, perhaps.
Ralith wrote:
Ink wrote:No sense in putting them on a pedestal. Put them in a pen with some sheep and they will kill -all- the sheep. Why? God, why does my dog INSIST on chasing cats? It's a thrill.
Wrong. On the first count, referring to the sheep, that's because domestic sheep are supremely screwed up, as inbreeding tends to do, and 'send' all the wrong 'signals' in comparison with their wild counterparts. The wolf evolved with the wild equivalents, and doesn't have any low-level handling of domestic animals in general. With a prey animal like sheep, it's quite apparent. At the root, the wolf is killing for food, both immidiate and for storage and later consumption.

On the second count, the dogs-chasing-cats thing, the cause is simple territorial nature.
What? You don't think chasing sheep is fun? Looking at it I think it would be fun for them. Inbred sheep have nothing to do with it. If they're in a tight little pen being circled by a wolf crying out and scurry around they would indeed be very fun to chase and pounce on.

It's instinct, kill it if you can. I never judged it, I just said they do it. Don't tell me I'm wrong when we know for a fact they do it. And my dog is far from territorial with my cat -- he just likes to chase the cat. Sometimes he doesn't, if he's tired he doesn't, or if the cat's too pre-occupied to run he doesn't care. But when the cat runs they have a ball. Animals have fun doing things -- even what we'd see as malicious things.

Why did the fox kill all my ducks and chickens last summer? Because they were in the pen, they couldn't get out but the fox was in there. And what better than to run after the squalky thing that can't get away? The fox only took two of my ducks after he dug and squeezed into my nice, yet sadly not fullproof duck pen.

He naturally would have never got them all but without the ability to scatter they just ran in circles. And such things happen... to no fault of the fox or my ducks. That doesn't mean I wasn't viciously pissed off all my work in that pen, those ducks, and such went down the tubes and one summers worth of breeding-stock got massacred.

I can imagine the fury if that was a fenced in bunch of yews or calves. And by the nature that is man and the nature that is wolf I can't hold a grudge to either party. Neither knows the better of the other.

So is the way of the world...Not understanding each other -- why the wolf might like to chase and kill things it can or why any creature might pen up its prey. *Shrugs*

Misunderstandings and miscommunications are part of all life. Especially those that intertwine.
Ralith wrote:
Ink wrote:They are killers, like we're killers -- it makes neither better or worse in the end.
Any carnivore is a killer, as are most omnivores, and it could be argued that a large number of herbivores also share that trait. Why is it relevant?
Because everybody's, at one point, is on this judgemental kick. The farmers are bad, the wolves are good, the people are stupid, save all of the world but damn we suck!

It's a sign to get off of it all ready -- people will do what people will do.

We won't remedy that by redressing everyone. People just get pissed off when that's done and pissed off people achieve nothing. In facts, it sets us back with angry stereotypes of each other and that's pretty much it.
Ralith wrote:
Ink wrote:Unless you start pinning up cultural taboos -- which the wolf has none of, making the analysis faulty.
Again, why is this relevant? We're not discussing cultural outlook here.
Yes, yes in fact we are discussing cultural outlooks here. Your cultural outlook here is to look at the wolves and help save them. You view those that want to kill them are bad -- I dare say we're looking at different point of views and without referencing those you're just one voice shouting at someone you know nothing about and care nothing about except to erradicate.

The first line of this is understanding, a little, who you're talking at all the time. This branches into conversations and not arguments. We have to give before we can take in this world and that means cultural viewpoints will have to be looked at.

People have to talk to people, that's how anything gets done.
Ralith wrote:
Ink wrote:Likewise, it's something that can't be judged.
What, exactly, is something that can't be judged?
The fact that we can't align wolves and ourselves culturally. Thus meaning if we start pre-judging ourselves to wolves -- it's like talking to a wall. No progress jumps here thus it can't be a factor we take into concideration to judge... Otherwise we're wasting our time.
Ralith wrote:
Ink wrote:On the same token people who hate the wolf and are fanatical about the wolf are two sides of a tolken nobody sensible wants to listen to. There's no reason in throwing "Kill them all!"'s and "Save every last one!"'s at each other...
Agreed on that point. If for no other reason than "Saving every last one" is effectively impossible, and if we're going to consider it morally right to hunt anything, there's no logical reason the wolf should be excluded, although I'm sure most of us would like it to be.
Yes. We all would like something to be the way it can never be. But idealism will get nothing done. You can talk to wildlife managers about it and they'll tell you the same thing.
Ralith wrote:
Ink wrote:The wolf WILL survive. Why? Because every major city has an ourpouring of grief that values into the many millions (because they believe every last word they're told) and every farmer has heard a story or seen a wolf so they're ready to lock and load (because they believe every last word they were told).
However, the balance could tilt one way or the other, potentially making the wolf extinct. Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't make such broad generalizations; there are certainly people in each location that believe each side.
It was meant to be a generalization. And I will make such generalizations to prove points. This point was there are a lot of people beating on loud drums -- and they're doing it well. All I can hear is a lot of angry people, nothing really potent except for those that are busy doing something while everyone's yelling about what's wrong, what's right, and how bad it is.

I never said there weren't people in the middle. There are people all over the place -- it's the simple fact that the two parties I noted are the two parties you always hear from or hear people citing.

It's the quiet, sensible ones you rarely hear.
Ralith wrote:
Ink wrote:Then nobody talks to each other and nobody wants to listen.
This is the case with the extreme opposition on just about any discussion.
No, this is the case with extreme opposition alone. Discussion is when someone takes someone else's plee in on a level, not when people stamp around their point of view on poster boards with ill thought manners to make things personal war.

We're fighting for a discussion, and if we have to fight for a discussion nothing, absolutely nothing will get done but a lot of useless yelling. We have to start sharing information in finding a way to help find a middle ground or else we're running a rat race.
Ralith wrote:
Ink wrote:Who's stuck in the middle? The people who're working their asses off to save the damn wolf. Who are the people with the information about how we must interact to keep the peace, and how to keep them from dwindling. These are the people that make the decisions everybody points fingers at... because everybody else is in middle of a squabble about what's right and what's wrong and how much the other person is lesser of a person because blahblahblah.
I don't follow your logic there. I would think that they'd be on the pro-wolf side, only typically with more accurate reasons than usual.
There's no pro-wolf side on the middle line. It's not a political embodiment we're talking about -- it's about people seeking better answers. It's people who take care of all the raging forces. These are the babysitters who're actually out in the field doing tests on wolves, providing breeding facilities and the DEC, Wildlife Fish and Game organizations and such that monitor both fanatics for or against killing of these animals.

These people see from a birds eye view everything we fight about. It has nothing to do with taking sides. They see the place for hunting and the place for saving a species -- the place where things aren't zenful but where they're at least going to allow life to go on... for all the parties involved.

These people alone will be the silent saviors of the wolf and the farmer and the hunter because their voices are muffled somewhere below the roar of people who want to save these animals and people who want them gone.

They also are the people with the greatest power: To manage and oversee the wolf.
Ralith wrote:
Ink wrote:Just because they might be taken off the Endangered Species list, a rather biased list of things going extinct we like (forgetting all those bad things we've eradicated or are currently trying to kill which nobody cares about), does not mean that people are going to go out there wielding axes and flame throwers in order to abuse the population of wolves and kill them off so cunningly.
No, but it does mean we're one step closer to a biased politician ordering a "population control" operation. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing; it's so one sided at all.

Yes, there are other things not receiving nearly enough attention, and things we probably don't even realize we're killing off, but that's not entirely relevant. Here, a large portion of us for some reason or other have an interest in the survival of the wolf in particular. There are places out there where the same'll be true for large cats, or any number of other things.
Politicians don't eradicate animal populations, they hustle people into ordering such things. They can cry and stamp their feet and throw influence and weight around. But if you're so reserved to think the government is all power-consuming then go ahead believing.

Politicians are headfigures, they're the distraction point for the magic of politics all together. While you look at this one issue their other hand is behind their back doing something else. And when they're like, 'Whoops! Pissed the people off..." They apologize. The rest of the world then goes on merrily until late breaking news points out, "Oh, they did -this- while we were over here squabbling about something they knew they have no power or business dealing with...Ooohhh..."

I have faith in fanaticism that the wolves aren't going anywhere. But then again, I'm a dreary one-sided optimist in this situation.

I kind of find it naive that you say it doesn't really matter other things are up and forgotten. I try not to throw things onto my list of "I want to save" "Meh, doesn't matter that much". I mean, what's killing off horrible bacteria? Ohh... diversity? That key aspect of players in this world needs to be diverse in order to maintain itself...

Or the fact we're shutting down evolution? Or the disruption of ecological law? I may be one-sided but I try not to keep my love of things somewhat impartial.

You worry about wolves but care not for other things that are forgotten? I don't see that as potentially promising for the worlds future.

We bleed for the natural aethetics we want to keep but forget to manage everything else. Sure way to end a world. That's what we did when we unleashed DDT to kill off pesky mosquitos. Ahh... mosquito free! Woops! Birds are dying!

I'm saying that taking a stance that serves the purpose of both man and wolf will be a generously rewarding thing. Understanding each person, and each animals value will hold a key to keeping this entire planet from entering an endangered listing beyond what it all ready has.

Why? Because we all have to live and share the same earth. Irregardless of how naturally removed we've become we all are meshed together, steered into one fine planet, battling and killing over the same thing: Survival.

Right and wrong will play a part in each of our moral judgements but not in the call of what we do as a population. We are growing species, a flourishing one bent on domination because that's what we've been cued up to do. If not the bible-speak of man saying we're above the beasts, or the figurative launch of people who craze that we should hold animals higher than mankind.

I simply am saying there is more to the story than is being told here. I say it without baggage, without attempt to cull you to another side. I merely am saying that if we march in moderation a little and accept that nothing is black and white or idealistic in perspective we can do better.

It might take a little bit of whispering, a little more reading, and a softer tone, rather than people pissing people off or shouting vile things at each other.

Taking a stance to learn about each other might be the only way to save both man, the wolf, and other things. But if we continue to beat on the same drum we begin to drown out all that really matters into a pool of how much we hate ourselves for being human and what a horrible world this is with us in it.

I like the moderate stance of give and take -- having all or nothing doesn't work and we all ready know that fact. All it takes is time to sit down and listen.

hwlwnk
Ink
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ink »

SabreTheJokerWolfFool wrote:Responding to Ink

Again, wolves kill for survival, why do humans kill wolves? Wolves are natural predators and yes they do kill, but there is plenty to go around for everyone, but nobody looks at that, no on ever does..It's sad like I said before. You say wolves kill more than their fair share? What fair share do you speak of?
Humans kill wolves to curb the population that will intrude either on humans or other native wildlife. In hopes namely to make sure that people don't get angry. It also helps to stave off natures ecological manner of regulating population of preditor and prey -- because if that starts happening we have starvation of animals (preditor or prey). We are the next natural balancing force thet curbs other ecological factors.

We do occupy a competing niche (do to our sheer population size and technology) with wolves, however, which means we must, by ecological law compete on some level. Usually animals that compete on the same niche (food source/place in the food chain) they usually kill each other off.

Yes, there is plenty to go around. You are absolutely 100% right on that count. And yet you and I were born in a Capital society because a communist one cannot work unless all parties partisipate fairly. Nobody plays fair because the world never has worked like that. The only other solution: Drop everything and return to primative means of living -- Hunter Gatherer style. We will not do that, however, because man has found settlement is comfortable and there is this pre-concieved notion that primative man lived horribly. I beg to differ but that's only because I study humans, human evolution, and human culture. I still would prefer not to branch off into the wilderness and live like that... for this is the culture I know. And culture is something superbly hard to break.

The fair share I spoke of was the fact that animals in pens are often killed at large. Whole pens of animals will be massacred (usually not cattle). Why do weasels and foxes kill all the animals in a pen and take only a few back? Why do wolves kill a small, fenced in herd of animals? Because they can. They have. It's part of nature -- kill what you can, not necessarily what they can just eat. They don't always eat all of anything they kill what they can, while they can.

Nature doesn't always permit on feasting. Nature's fickle like that.
SabreTheJokerWolfFool wrote: You could say that about humans then right? Humans kill for sport, at least wolves eat what they kill. They might leave the kill and come back for it later.. The people that kill for sport care nothing more than for a trophy or something to commend them for killing something, but then where do the rest of the body go to?
So do most hunters eat what they kill. Sport hunting is fun, but the tactless hunter leaves his meat. Most hunters bring out all their kill. If it is left it is left to do as nature would do with it -- rot. It is rarely left to do so. Now most meat is actually sent to local soup kitchens cut and ready to go. Wolf meat would be disposed of in any means plausible.

I'd have nothing against eating wolf meat but I also have nothing against eating cat or dog (which makes me an evil in this culture). As a hunter I also keep bone. I have a bone thing... most hunters would keep skulls and such. Pelts would be used for obvious course. There are uses found for all things these days and if not I still do not understand how something that returns to the earth is wasted even in death.

I usually skin out my coyotes that I take and do a hair-on tan, beetle the body so I can get the skull. Innards would go to compost pile.
SabreTheJokerWolfFool wrote: They don't always eat what they kill, wolves do..Humans are the ones that kill more than their fair share if you want to point fingers at someone look at those facts!! Yes wolves will survive, but so will humans, but that doesn't stop humans from killing them!! Wolves get into fights with one another and sometimes result in blood shed and death..
No, it won't stop humans from killing them. So we have to figure out a way to give and take from each other. Otherwise we're lost to a limbo of cat fights and hatred. Which we will be in one way or another anyway -- but at least both sides'll get something out of this.
SabreTheJokerWolfFool wrote: Humans kill them for just being there, for taking up there land that was theirs in the first place.. I will never think anything badly of the wolf and I have sen no reason why I should...
The land is owned by nothing. Not Humans nor wolf. Nobody has exclusive rights to it -- if that was the case than micro-organsims would have tibs -- they were here first. It goes without saying that creatures that dominate are the dominate ones. We too were wild, once. Just because we have replaced nature with nurture does not mean we're special beyond our self awareness.

We are carbon based creatures who must survive on other carbon based life to exists. We follow ecological law just as much as the wolf -- even though we want to think we're outside those boundaries.

Anybody who denies it needs to take Natural Science or Bio again.

Lest we start forgetting we are also animals and are also part of the chaos for survival -- no matter the fact we're cultural beings or not. We have to act with nature for we cannot overcome or step-asside it.
SabreTheJokerWolfFool wrote: A wolf will run away from a human, becuase it's natural for them to have this fear, but a human will chase down a wolf a shoot it dead!! I can't understand why no body seems to get it...
What does it matter if a wolf runs? A wolf chases prey that does nothing to it. Surely it does it to survive but so do we. In a product society where we have to abide by the laws of production we cannot always designate our losses.

If we can't produce we lose our lives, we cannot feed ourselves, so if a farmer shoots a wolf to save product it can have as little to do with revenge and savage-ness as a wolf chasing a deer.

We were born into a world were nature's course of action is not on the same playing field as our cultural demands -- but in some ways they are parallel. This does not mean all killings are justified but it does not mean killing of wolves cannot be justified.

Wolves are not perfect in their being. Nothing is. Finding an arena where we can co-exist with the wolf will be the only manner in which to save it, in my opinion. Since we will not be going anywhere.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

vrikasatma wrote:To be fair, so is Sabre. I'm referring specifically to the point she made where a human will chase down a wolf to kill it.

None of us here would do that — and I include myself, if I were out hunting and came across a pack of wolves, I'd take the arrow out of my bow and sit and watch them quietly until they moved on. I don't personally know anyone who'd shoot a wolf even if they were hunters. And I know a good many hunters.

It's like saying "If you're Muslim you've got a bomb-making factory in your garage" or "If you're Hispanic you came here illegally" or "If you live in the country, you're a conservative." It's a generalization. The truth of the matter is that hunters will normally go for something that's easy to catch and that they can take home and stock the freezer with. Eat a wolf? Quoth Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka: "Ew!"

I do agree with her point that humans are screwed up and citing the incidence of rape, terrorism, murder, et alia. Canada has a wolf hunting program but they also have tons and tons and tons of deer. Why? Because there's not as many humans up there as there are here. Their population is softer. Less humans = more wildlife habitat/greenspace. It's too late now for us, but let's work on putting the brakes on ourselves first. Hunters are a declining and embattled minority, and we're not going to drive anything to extinction.
I wasn't stating all humans, and I should have verified that, I am sorry..

I just know how alot of humans are about wolves, and alot other are about killing them, I just don't want to see souch a beautiful creature that would rather turn away from a human than come up to them to just be left alone..They mean us no harm..they only want to live as much as we do..

I'm sorry I seem rather harsh, but I love this animal with all my being and I hate hearing about them being slaughtered like they have done something wrong..I guess survival of the fittest stands strong when it comes to survival and territory...
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

To Ink
Your right wolves do not own the lands, but wolves were the first to run through the lands that people no own and yes people do own those lands, the got their permits and what not claiming so..but wolves can't do that, the only thing a wolf can do is mark it's territory and that does nothing to help them except agaist other wolves and animals running wild... I just want to know, do you even like wolves at all? You don't really seem to defend them much at all... I just want it all to stop, why can't we all coexisit in peace? There's plenty of food to go around for both species...
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

First off, don't be reluctant to post lengthily. It may or may not be read, but it shows you've at least given some thought to the matter.

Now, with that out of the way, allow me to say that I didn't read all of that (most, though) but skimmed through it and will offer a suitably general reply. I'd love to do a point-by-point thing again, but that'll just keep getting longer and it's not like the outcome of this argument so terribly important

What I said about the politicions was a generalization, my point being that they are often in positions appropriate to getting what they want, which often is not in the interest of as many people as they portray it.

I see what you meant about the middle ground, now, and I'd just like to make clear that the organizations you mention and imply are above all this argument aren't unbiased. Admittedly, there probably are higher concentrations of those who are simply trying to balance things out in those areas, but again not necessarily in power, and with varying definitions of "balance."

I realize that bias in support is not necessarily a good thing. However, one can't very well advocate ten million things at once, and this happens to be that which has most personal significance to me; thus it recieves the most attention.

It seems we weren't really disagreeing at heart about the domestic animals thing; wolves or any wild creature isn't adapted for many of the relatively sudden (on an evolutionary scale) changes humans have made. In nature, the case is almost always that killing what you can is /less/ than what you need to be perfectly healthy.

When you get down to it, isn't everything anything, including humanity does done because it's "fun"?

Note on netiquitte: Please, PLEASE do not think that you need to put text in bold red type to get it read. A bit of emphasis here and there is alright, but past that there is rarely a use ourside of specialized areas (tables and such) for bold, underline, or italics, let alone colors.
Sanity is relative.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Ink wrote:
SabreTheJokerWolfFool wrote: You could say that about humans then right? Humans kill for sport, at least wolves eat what they kill. They might leave the kill and come back for it later.. The people that kill for sport care nothing more than for a trophy or something to commend them for killing something, but then where do the rest of the body go to?
So do most hunters eat what they kill. Sport hunting is fun, but the tactless hunter leaves his meat.
Couple corrections:

Sabre: Ask a hunter: "Are you hunting for antlers or are you hunting for meat?" Most of them will say it's an excuse to get out in the wild places, and most will say that they're doing it for the meat. One in a hundred will say "I don't care about the meat. I just want the antlers. The meat I'm giving to..." such and such, maybe their in-laws, maybe the neighbours, maybe the guide. But by and large, hunting isn't a sport. It's a lifestyle. Tennis is a sport.

Ink: The <i>illegal</i> hunter — aka, the poacher — leaves the meat laying where it fell. All states and provinces and most countries have laws against leaving the carcasses to rot. All edible meat must be salvaged and brought in; you can leave gutpiles and bones if you're hiking in and/or flying out in a bush plane.

On my last hunt — buffalo — I left the gutpile. There was a pair of ravens doing their courtship flight overhead while I was hunting and I'm pretty sure that buffalo's offal turned into raven eggs and chicks a couple months later. :howl:  :oo There's also a First Nations legend that says if you kill a deer, bury the gutpile and the next spring, a fawn will be born on that spot. Not altogether far-fetched: rotting meat is nitrogen-fixing, a great fertilizer, and would stimulate the growth of a thicket. Does give birth to their fawns in thickets.
ImageImageImageImage
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

My main thing is I just want there to be peace..nothing more nothing less..
white
Legendary
Legendary

Post by white »

Meh. To properly hold up my side of this is going to take more time than I have at the moment, I think. So I'll just summarise my opinion and leave it to y'all to tear apart however ya like.

There is no real 'natural order.' Generally what's meant when someone says that is "what would happen if humans weren't here," and humans are no more or less natural than anything else. Just damned good tool-users. So when you get down to it there's not much logic to most common arguments against humanity as a whole. I, personally, want to see the wolf and the environment in which it's evolved to survive in (think about that for a moment-- once you follow all the connections, it's pretty damned big if not all-encompassing) as intact as possible. No more, no less. Call me immoral, uncaring, prejudiced, biased, delusional, stupid, whatever, I'll still be of this opinion. In this world you have to know what you want.
Sanity is relative.
Ink
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ink »

SabreTheJokerWolfFool wrote:My main thing is I just want there to be peace..nothing more nothing less..
My main intention is cooperation -- peace is an ideal I can't chase but at the heart of it it's going for agreement. We're not far off-base with each other either.

Cooperation is part of peace and means listening to each other and working together. I do understand what you're saying, really -- we could live alongside the wolf but the problem is no one will give in their lifestyles to 'share'. It's not really a thing that's well put into our species, actually.

We live in a world where market and economy rule on high -- that's our culture. You and I can't change that. We do not live by the chaos of nature so we cannot make acceptions to allow the wolf -- unless the wolf yields something for us.

Hunting can be that.

I do enjoy the idea of wolves and their return. However, I also understand where their co-existance with us will be met head on. To allow them to co-exist means some will be part of a process of elimination, and others allowed to live for the sake of letting the population live.

For now if we hear out the ranchers, the farmers, the eco-peoples, the activists and the wildlife management and work -together- with each other we can then construct a plan to better suit life for both wolf and man...

Thus helping to solve the internal conflicts that we know will arise.

To Ralith:

The reason the brown text was used was because I really wanted to emphasize what I had to say. I wanted that to get read, or just to basically annoy everyone until it was looked at, because I knew not all/any other part of the post would be. I'll be more aware about the eyes next time.

I realized that we weren't technically disagreeing about the issue -- just that I needed to clarify what exactly I was getting at.

In the end I want people to be able to live with wolves or wolves to live with people -- take it however you like -- if we're going to be accepting company into what we think we've dominated we might as well do so that we're not warring amongst ourselves to a point of ridiculousness.

To vrikasatma:

Thanks for clarifying. I realize hunters are legally obligated to bring out all edible meat... Etc-etc. Leaving it there is not good... it was one of those Good Sportsmanship things that was enscribed into our flesh during my 18 hr Hunting course.

That was in one of like... 20 edits on the fly too.

Again, thanks for the notation.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Renorei wrote:
Morkulv wrote:If God exists, then werewolves must be real. Werewolves sound even more convincing then any fairytale like the bible.

Hmm...how about leaving other people's religious beliefs alone?

Seriously. Calling the stories of the bible 'fairytales' is making fun of Christian beliefs, and many on this forum are Christians. Nobody makes fun of you for being a nihilist/atheist/agnostic/whatever you are.
Nope. It is just a opinion. A forum is meant for opinions, in case you didn't notice. And just as with all the other discussions here; if you take it as a offence then thats your problem, not mine. I never said its the truth, I just say what I think of sertain things.

Jezus, you American's are all the same... :roll: Sorry.

(waiting for someone to call me a pseudo-racist/antichrist :roll: )
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Morkulv wrote:
Renorei wrote:
Morkulv wrote:If God exists, then werewolves must be real. Werewolves sound even more convincing then any fairytale like the bible.

Hmm...how about leaving other people's religious beliefs alone?

Seriously. Calling the stories of the bible 'fairytales' is making fun of Christian beliefs, and many on this forum are Christians. Nobody makes fun of you for being a nihilist/atheist/agnostic/whatever you are.
Nope. It is just a opinion. A forum is meant for opinions, in case you didn't notice. And just as with all the other discussions here; if you take it as a offence then thats your problem, not mine. I never said its the truth, I just say what I think of sertain things.

Jezus, you American's are all the same... :roll: Sorry.

(waiting for someone to call me a pseudo-racist/antichrist :roll: )

This forum is meant mainly for opinions about werewolves. This particular thread is for opinions about wolves being removed from the endangered species list. If you had made your above comments in a thread about religion, that would be an entirely different matter. But, you brought religion up in a completely irrelevant thread. That would be like me bringing up the fact that I hate Norway and that it's a terrible country in the word association thread. Sure...I have a right to say it, but it's in a completely inappropriate place.

Furthermore, despite the fact that you brought religion up in an unneccesarily negative way, there's actually nothing technically wrong with doing so. However, common human decency would normally cause someone not to bring up an issue like this. So...ultimately, if anybody (not just you) wants to make negative comments about other people's religions, it should really be reserved for a thread where it belongs.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Ink wrote:
SabreTheJokerWolfFool wrote:My main thing is I just want there to be peace..nothing more nothing less..
My main intention is cooperation -- peace is an ideal I can't chase but at the heart of it it's going for agreement. We're not far off-base with each other either.

Cooperation is part of peace and means listening to each other and working together. I do understand what you're saying, really -- we could live alongside the wolf but the problem is no one will give in their lifestyles to 'share'. It's not really a thing that's well put into our species, actually.

We live in a world where market and economy rule on high -- that's our culture. You and I can't change that. We do not live by the chaos of nature so we cannot make acceptions to allow the wolf -- unless the wolf yields something for us.

Hunting can be that.

I do enjoy the idea of wolves and their return. However, I also understand where their co-existance with us will be met head on. To allow them to co-exist means some will be part of a process of elimination, and others allowed to live for the sake of letting the population live.

For now if we hear out the ranchers, the farmers, the eco-peoples, the activists and the wildlife management and work -together- with each other we can then construct a plan to better suit life for both wolf and man...

Thus helping to solve the internal conflicts that we know will arise.

To Ralith:

The reason the brown text was used was because I really wanted to emphasize what I had to say. I wanted that to get read, or just to basically annoy everyone until it was looked at, because I knew not all/any other part of the post would be. I'll be more aware about the eyes next time.

I realized that we weren't technically disagreeing about the issue -- just that I needed to clarify what exactly I was getting at.

In the end I want people to be able to live with wolves or wolves to live with people -- take it however you like -- if we're going to be accepting company into what we think we've dominated we might as well do so that we're not warring amongst ourselves to a point of ridiculousness.

To vrikasatma:

Thanks for clarifying. I realize hunters are legally obligated to bring out all edible meat... Etc-etc. Leaving it there is not good... it was one of those Good Sportsmanship things that was enscribed into our flesh during my 18 hr Hunting course.

That was in one of like... 20 edits on the fly too.
Again, thanks for the notation.
Sad but true..unfortunally, in this time and age..I am glad you do respect the wolf and everyone else on here who left comments of their support..really nice it is...