Voice

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.

Should the voice of a werewolf change during TF?

Yes
80%
No
13%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
7%

Total votes: 87

wolfbound
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: thats right. I am a booze hound

Post by wolfbound »

everything else changes. why not the voice? and your in pain.
who sound normal when they just smashed their toe. :knockedout:
you never know just how you look through other peoples' eyes.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

I think the voice should grow husky. Growly like Tsume's.
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Winged_Wolf

Post by Winged_Wolf »

Well, lupine vocal cords are actually remarkably similar to human vocal cords, but the shape of the mouth and loss of flexibility absolutely requires a change in sound of a voice.
--Winged Wolf
"I will stare at the sun until its light doesn't blind me, and I will walk into the fire til its heat doesn't burn me, and I will feed the fire..."
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Post by garouda »

If wolves were, in wolf or gestalt form, to talk among themselves, I would expect, that among a well established pack, it would be an adaptation of the common language they knew before their change.

It would make natural allowances for the speech handicaps that wolf anatomy places on the efforts to duplicate human speech.

It might even include radical adjustments where human words that are particularly difficult to speak, would have werewolf substitutes or analogues.

For those of us who know folks with speech handicaps, who are otherwise as intelligent as we are, we take time to get used to their speech deviations from what is nominally expected. After a period of time, ones mind tunes out the deviations, no matter how great they may happen to be and simply recognizes the words being communicated.

An example available to anyone, is Stephen Hawking. Before he had the speech synthesizer installed in his powered wheel chair, he would simply speak as he was able. A grad student would listen and repeat what Stephen was saying in a more recognizable fashion. At first, Stephen Hawking's speach seemed entirely unintelligible, but after a while, I found I did not need the translator at all. I could understand Hawking himself. This can happen much more quickly than you might imagine. There is video available of him speaking with the Grad student translating, though I am not sure where you will find this.

As for the voices of werewolves and gestalts. I would expect them to be more resonant whenever the capacious lungs are opened up wide to vocalize. All humans could do this, but few do it and without practice, it is not always easy. Timbre, and resonance for wolves is very likely to vary considerably from human as likely would enunciation,, just because of all the anatomical changes which take place throughout the trachea, lungs, jaws, nasal passages, lips and tongue.
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Therian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Therian »

I vote "yes" because its more wolf so they should sound more wolfish.
:howl:  :oo
You all laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Fizziks!

Post by RedEye »

Physics...or, in Were', Fuzzikcs?
What affects the Voice: The Length of the throat; That's why your voice deepens, Male or Female, as you grow up. Were's have longer throats.
The Arched Palate; That Arch in the roof of your mouth is what lets you talk. If a Were' has a flat palate, they couldn't talk the way we can...maybe not understandably at all...but they Would Talk! Size of the Vocal Cords; The longer the deeper.
Werewolf Females would sound like Marlena Detriech... :howl:  :oo
Werewolf Males would sound like Michael Dorn (Worf)

If nothing else, they could get jobs making Voice overs...... :P
And boy, does that Detriech remark date me...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Therian
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Therian »

hmm . . . but they wouldn't be able to talk like pronouncing human words, but more of a wolfish bark/yelp kinda thing?
You all laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same.
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Re: Fizziks!

Post by vrikasatma »

RedEye wrote: Werewolf Females would sound like Marlena Detriech... :howl:  :oo
Werewolf Males would sound like Michael Dorn (Worf)
Another couple of auditory touchpoints:
Female werewolf: Eleanor Audley (Maleficent in Disney's Sleeping Beauty)
Male werewolf: Peter Steele, with or without the Brooklynese accent.

Personally I LOVED the voice of Maugrim in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Perfect blend of articulation and snarl :)
ImageImageImageImage