How did you get your username

The place for anything at all...
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

(I took these names from one of my old posts in a thread discussing our alternate online handles.)

Vilkacis
thevilkacis
Vilkatis

I've been using this name for long enough that I don't remember the exact circumstances around its choosing. However, I did do a bit of research before choosing it, at least.

I wanted something

A) uncommon, and
B) with meaning.

'Vilkacis' means 'wolf eyes' in Latvian, but it has deeper meaning: it is also a werewolf-like creature that is known on occasion to bring gifts or treasure. I liked it, so I kept it. My biggest gripe is that it sounds a bit harsh, and some people have no idea how to pronounce it.

White Fox

I needed a name for Second Life. For those that don't know, you have a limited selection of last names to use depending on when you sign up. The only passable one I could find was 'Fox.'

Now what goes well with that? I wasn't feeling very creative, and I got a bit impatient.

It ended up being an unfortunate choice. Apparently there's a fairly well-known fursuit designer out there that goes by the same pseudonym. How was I to know?

A few people got miffed because I acted like I didn't know them (I didn't!). A few got angry because they thought I was trying to impersonate him.

At least some had the good sense to ask me if I was who they thought I was.

Jaguarundi

I used this one only for Magic the Gathering: Online a number of years back. It also ended up being an unfortunate choice. Apparently some people have no idea that a Jaguarundi is a type of feline. It was certainly not meant to represent any particular form of underclothes.

Blackeagle
Heyoka
Heyoka Blackeagle

These came from the name of the main character in a little known book called Black on Black. The quality of writing isn't anywhere near the level that is usually found in my favorite books, but it managed to find a special place in my heart nonetheless.

'Heyoka' is, I believe, an Indian word meaning 'crazy.' But there's more to it. Specifically, a heyoka is a 'sacred fool' that has encountered the Wakinyan (some kind of thunder entity) and struck insane. A second encounter restores sanity.

Whatever the case, the heyoka is known for breaking boundaries and social inhibitions.

I've used this name extensively.

Catamount

Hurrah for more cat-names. I sometimes go by this name in the ever-so-addicting Gunbound, and perhaps a couple now-forgotten places as well.

Thembi
Taka

I still count the Lion king among my favorite movies.

Taka == Scar
Thembi == Mufasa's father

'Thembi' is a favorite, but I use it most often in offline video games. One of my Gunbound accounts goes by this name.

I used Taka for a while in Achaea. It was one of my first characters there. A Rajamalan Jester. I was adopted by Puck Ka'jik, which made me of some friendly relation to Kahless. I deleted this character to keep myself from ever playing this addicting game again... It didn't work. I have to apologize to Puck for just leaving.

There is now another person going by the name of 'Taka' there. That's not me.

Nekokun

Another Achaean character. This one was on the evil side of the board.

Neko == cat =^..^=
Kun == a term of endearment

There also happened to be a character there by the name of 'Neko.' I kept getting all his private messages :/

I eventually deleted this one, too, at the same time I deleted this next guy:

Proditor

A name of one character I played in Achaea. A Rajamalan Paladin I had exceptional plans for. The name means 'Traitor.' I made a decent photomanip for an Artisan contest, which happened to win second place. There was a decently-sized prize of valuable credits. I had already decided to delete this character before I won, so I ended up donating the credits I to various people before I left. I wonder how confused they were. Some I hadn't talked to in more than half a year (including Puck).

Amadeus

I'm still coming back. I must be addicted. This one was a monk. I'm pretty sure I deleted him, too. It, too, has some meaning behind it.

Draconesce

Achaea again. This one lasted... two days? I didn't like the name.

Rusty

Ahh, this brings back old memories. Probably among the first names I ever used -- mostly in video games. I didn't use it much online. Perhaps you can guess why.

Zelta
Auseklis Zelta

I used this for...

A Guild Wars beta... or some such.

I didn't like the game enough to keep at it.

The name belongs to another Latvian deity. It means "Golden Star."

DA_Black

I once used this on MSN games. I usually played Spades. At least one person asked me if I was telepathic.

Let's not go into why I chose it.

purewolf

I needed another gmail account to dedicate to a specific cause. I don't use it very often. I simply tried things until something I liked worked.

danielte

Yeah, standard first name + adding letters of your last name until you find something no one has taken yet. This is for an old hotmail account.

It gets so much spam it's not even funny. I rarely ever used it, either. I think it was just too easy to guess. If you're gonna' brute force a batch of e-mails, why not try common first names with random letters attached?

Now I only use it for bypassing registration procedures. If I don't want to compromise a decent e-mail for something like signing up to a forum, I use this to catch all the stuff I didn't ask for. For example, if I ever get sent the Freeborn script, this is where it will end up. I'll never know. Whoops.

kashikoiookami

This was my answer to the above situation. And you know what? I don't get any spam on this hotmail account... Except for all the junk MSN sends me...

Anyway, it means 'wise wolf.' It could also be taken to mean 'cool wolf,' though.

I also used it as a user name on a couple Japanese message boards. I don't use it much anymore.

educated.werewolf

I just needed a new junk account. Gmail this time.

thebeastking

A character from Seiken Densetsu III. I sometimes play chess at Yahoo! games under this name (less often these days).

erai_yamaneko

Means 'great wildcat.' Another name I rarely use. From Yahoo! games again.

ember_hawk

Yahoo! games. I don't really use it, either.

garou_akidzuki

Another name I've used in Japanese message boards.

Garou == Hungry Wolf
Akidzuki == Bright Moon, or some such

silverwolf

I once had an e-mail address: silver@wolf.tf. But then the service provider suddenly began charging. I didn't even have the opportunity to back up my stuff.

Well, I wasn't going to have any of that, now.

Kotou Toramaru

Another name for Japanese message boards. Both names rather strongly suggest 'tiger.'

To a non-Japanese person, the name appears very Japanese. To a Japanese person, the name appears very Silly.

Pardus

More cat names. I've used this in a couple places, but not for anything really notable.

Grendel

A monster from Beowulf. I've only used this a couple times.

"My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it."
-- The Dragon to Grendel

That's all I can think of for now.

-- Vilkacis
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Morkulv means something like 'powerfull wolf'.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: How did you get your username

Post by Figarou »

Anirbas wrote:Just curious. :D

I got mine from spelling my first name backwards.

ANIRBAS = SABRINA

:D

I tried spelling my name backwards. I didn't like the outcome.

Figarou is just a respelling of my last name. (Minus 1 letter)

Figueroa =Figarou
Raina The Werewolf Queen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stupid Girl

Post by Raina The Werewolf Queen »

the tilte of queen was givin to me.
SEDUCTIVE AND DESTRUCTIVE

I WANT MY ANTHONY BROWNRIGG PLUSHIE RIGHT NOW !!!!!!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Raina The Werewolf Queen wrote:the tilte of queen was givin to me.
I crown thee.....queen of werewolves.

:Duckietoss:

Heh...couldn't resist. :jester2:
navalagVLK
Legendary
Legendary

Post by navalagVLK »

Most of ya'll have interesting stories behind yours :lol:

Well, here's my riveting and amazing input:

My first username of "Eric" came form the fact that for some reason my family used to refer to people we didn't know as "Eric". When I was signing up for this forum it was the first thing that came to mind. (Nothing as Emo/Linkin Parky as "You don't know ME!!" :P)

"Navalag" is just my surname backwards, and "VLK" is Slovakian for Wolf. I just think the VLK bit looks funky ;)
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Vilkacis wrote: Thembi
Taka

I still count the Lion king among my favorite movies.

Taka == Scar
Thembi == Mufasa's father

'Thembi' is a favorite, but I use it most often in offline video games. One of my Gunbound accounts goes by this name.

I used Taka for a while in Achaea. It was one of my first characters there. A Rajamalan Jester. I was adopted by Puck Ka'jik, which made me of some friendly relation to Kahless. I deleted this character to keep myself from ever playing this addicting game again... It didn't work. I have to apologize to Puck for just leaving.

There is now another person going by the name of 'Taka' there. That's not me.

Where did you get 'Thembi' from? Every website that I've been to regarding the Lion King states that Scar and Mufasa's father's name was 'Ahadi'. There was even a book published in which Mufasa and Taka appeared as cubs, and Ahadi was in it.

As a side note, I think their grandfather's name was Mohatu.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Renorei wrote:
Where did you get 'Thembi' from? Every website that I've been to regarding the Lion King states that Scar and Mufasa's father's name was 'Ahadi'. There was even a book published in which Mufasa and Taka appeared as cubs, and Ahadi was in it.

As a side note, I think their grandfather's name was Mohatu.
At the time I came to use that, there was no true answer. Even 'Taka' wasn't the end-all, and there wasn't, to my knowledge, any official information regarding the parentage of Scar and Mufasa.

'Taka' was widely used in fanfiction, and I saw 'Thembi' in at least a few. I didn't see anything significant that contradicted those names, and fanfics were all we had to go by (and I liked those names, anyway).

With so few official resources, you have to go by what's out there. And keep in mind, this was before The Lion King II was even a blip on my horizon.

I had never heard of The Lion King: Six New Adventures until today. The only real information I can find about it says that it's rare and probably not canon. One has only to ask what the name of Simba's son was (Kopa, anyone?).

If the official source The Lion King II (which I dislike nearly as much as I like its predecessor) contradicts it so greatly on that rather important point (no son, but a daughter, Kiara), how much more likely is it that 'Ahadi' is equally unassumable?

Anyway, it looks like 'Ahadi' has won out in the long run, but I like 'Thembi' so much better. ^_^

-- Vilkacis
Raina The Werewolf Queen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Stupid Girl

Post by Raina The Werewolf Queen »

thats pretty much how it happened. lol
SEDUCTIVE AND DESTRUCTIVE

I WANT MY ANTHONY BROWNRIGG PLUSHIE RIGHT NOW !!!!!!
anirbas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Red headed duck lady

Post by anirbas »

Wow you guys have cool methods for coming up with your usernames.
It makes mine look lousy

:(

But I kind of liked mine because it sounds Egyptian like Anubis just modified for a female.
:D
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

:o

Wow, Vilk you even posted your username from other places. If I did that, my post would be longer then yours. :lol:
Meh Dev account: http://kileyhannan.deviantart.com/

"Life... It's drawing without an eraser..."
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Heh...I'd probably have you both beat, considering I've had 150+ different screen names over the years.

I just was never really happy enough with anything to stick with it for more than a month.

:|
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Well, if we're going to get into other screen-names...I'm not really a punster but I use a lot of plays on words. For instance, my e-mail screen name is "Memy Selfi." Read it and think about it for a minute or two.

On the E-Playa, my screen name is Diane o'Thirst ("dying of thirst"). I came up with that when I get dehydrated at Burning Man back in 2000 and had to go to the med tent for three units of intravenous hydration. They said I was only mildly dehydrated but it felt like HELL. Drink your water, keeds...

When I was on the Ultra Heavy Beat (KMFDM) forum, I went by "Wolfie de Reidenhaus." Reidenhaus is one of the old-country spellings of my genealogical heritage name, Rittenhouse..."Wolf of the Rittenhouse," basically.

My handle on Myspace is Awesome Xocowolf. It started out as "Wolfie," but I thought that was too common, so I changed it. There's a little circle of friends who append "Awesome" to the front of their screen-names so I adopted the custom after one of the techs at the cancer center I go to said I was handling the therapy awesomely. Xoco- is pronounced "chock-o," it's Meso-American (xocolatl — chocolate), and I'm a Wolf that digs the hekk out of Xocolate. :wonkawolf:

When I was involved with Crash Worship I went by the handle of "Wolfinblack," mainly because that was the persona I costumed as. I wore a wolf mask and did myself up in black, red and silver body paint. Up until about a year ago my wardrobe colours consisted of black, so instead of being a "Person in Black" I was a "Wolf in Black."

I recently signed up on a Doug Bradley/Hellraiser forum and broke the Wolf tradition by signing on as "Coenobium1" after the fanzine I published. The "1" is because I WAS #1 on Coenobium: publisher, editor-in-chief, bill-payer, chief decision-maker, layout and staff writer/artist! I <b>earned</b> that alpha position, I did!
ImageImageImageImage
Curan
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wor'Kai

Post by Curan »

Hmmhh ... how did I get my username? The answer is very simple. It's the name of the main character of my novel.
Homo lupo lupus est.
Scisne, homo, quod lupum essendum profecto significat?
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

---Deleted by me---
Last edited by Kzinistzerg on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

It's easy I thought it would be a good name when we're dealing with the subject matter of werewolves, but I usually go by the name Atraidese or Atreides in forums because my name is Paul and the main character in the book dune is well it's a long story but there you have it. Oh and I tried to rearange the letters in my name all i got was Luap and that's just it backwards.

Edit: after thinking on the name thing Lupa is also a choice or Alup
Hamster
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Hamster »

Ok, *Cracks fingers* let me have another go. I'll try to make this short:

Here - Hamster:

I already posted it.

Furtopia - Werehamster

My fursona is a hamster. I'm an antro hamster but I don't know why I put, "were" in it. :|

Soadfans - Thegreathamster

Because I'm the great almighty powerful hamster! Mwahahahahah!!!

J/K. I found the forum around the same time I was making my Nation state account so..you know. :D

Deviantart - KileyHannan

"Hannan" was an old pin name. I don't use it anymore. :|

Slipknotforum - Thegreathamster666

I added "666" just because. That place almost banned me because they didn't belive I was the artist who drew the pictures I posted because someone else posted the SAME pictures and he was there first! Meaning someone stole my art. :(

Ringsidemayhem - Hamster

Same reason why its hamster here.

Yerf - Hamster

Once again...

Green Day Community - Kiley

That's my name, don't were it out! :P

Motlos - Hamster

There seem to be a pattern...
Meh Dev account: http://kileyhannan.deviantart.com/

"Life... It's drawing without an eraser..."
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Other names I've used?...

Reece - (Fox character of mine...originally going to be part of a DBZ fan-fiction. Most Dragonball characters names are plays on words. Reece was supposed to be the nephew of Shao, from the original series, who's name combined with his partner Mai was Shao-Mai..."Chow-mein"...so his nephews name was "Rice".)

Alexander Jacob Rahl (usually shortened to Ander or Ander Rahl) - (Mage/Adventurer character of mine which is visually based off my own appearance. His name translates as "The Brave counsel Wolf that defends Mankind in my place". He is human {mostly?} but he likes to transform himself.)

Doshido - (Western Dragon character Born and raised in the "Far East", well educated in the priniples of human martial-arts. This is my "warrior" personality, as well as the name behind my public e-mail account. I later shortened the characters name to "Shido", making his students the bearers of the title Do-Shido meaning "subordinate of Shido" in my imaginary culture/language.)

...and Way WAY back when...the year I "discovered" the internet... on the first message board I signed up for, my first Avatar/Username was "The Real Captain N", on a videogame message board that no longer exists.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Fenrir wrote:It's easy I thought it would be a good name when we're dealing with the subject matter of werewolves, but I usually go by the name Atraidese or Atreides in forums because my name is Paul and the main character in the book dune is well it's a long story but there you have it. Oh and I tried to rearange the letters in my name all i got was Luap and that's just it backwards.

Edit: after thinking on the name thing Lupa is also a choice or Alup

it would be more subtle had you given yourself the name usul... that's not as well known.
Akugarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Something wicked
Mood: Meh...

Post by Akugarou »

I've actually had a very few screen names. The most recent before finding this forum was Coldfire. It's been a few years, but it was the handle I was using in furry forums and user groups. I still like furry stuff, but I have gotten away from being actively involved in the furry community.

When I can across this forum, I wanted to use a screen name other than Coldfire. Mostly because I thought the name had served its purpose, and I wanted something original. A name that summed up how I thought a werewolf should be.

So when I came up with fullmoonfury, I thought I was quite clever, and others did too. I even got a couple of compliments on it. Unfortunately, I still wasn't satisfied.

After a month or so of really enjoying the time I spend posting or reading posts, I came across a post suggesting the possibility of a PACK meet. Thoughts of people vocalizing "fullmoonfury" (Hiya! fullmoonfury!) made me rethink what I really wanted in a username.

I wanted something that looks good when written, wasn't hard to pronounce, and said something about me being a werewolf fan, but without using the word 'wolf' (which I personally felt would not be an accurate representation of which fandom I belong to).

Long story short: After trying a number of word and letter combinations, I used a Japanese language translator and put together:

Aku. Japanese for evil, or wicked.

Garou. Japanese for hungry wolf.

Wicked, hungry wolf? Works for me. And a quick google search showed nobody in werewolf fandom was using it (though a gamer had been using that name for a soldier is some online game). So, here we are.

BTW, the proper way to pronounce, "Akugarou" is: Ah-koogah-roo (long 'o's, as in zoo).
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fredriksam »

Hmm my name. Its a combination of my real name and what some call me. On my mail (phantomerik123@yahoo.com) its more of a combination of Erik and Phantom. I,m in a forum about phantom of the opera and as many knows, the real phantom was named Erik so.. My old mail (that still works but are too limited) . Well my name there is Dragonfire438. and its because i love dragons that breathe fire. So there....
Oh what a funny werewolf i am. come joining the eating party...