Real or Not

The place for anything at all...
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Real or Not

Post by Silverclaw »

So is their any 'fake' animals, beings that you believe realy do/did exsist?
Bigfoot, aliens, loch Ness Monster, werewolves, witches, faries, dragons, unicorns, griffins, vampires, ghosts, zombies, elves, ect.

I think aliens, bigfoot(s), ghosts and the loch ness monster almost defintly are real. Many things cant be proven or disproven so anything is possiable really.
Hobbits have been proven to of been real actually(National Geographic).
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Oddly enough, I'd almost say the opposite...

I figure that I'll help turn this into a meme before anyone gets hurt. :)

My list of possibles:
Dragons, Werewolves, witches, unicorns, hobbits?

So long as no one says that perception is reality - and therefore everything so far imagined in human history is real, at some point, in at least someone's mind...

The fakes
Bigfoot, aliens, loch Ness monster

Speaking of bigfoot(s), wouldn't it just be easier to say 'bigfeet'?
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Real or Not

Post by Figarou »

Silverclaw wrote:So is their any 'fake' animals, beings that you believe realy do/did exsist?

Nope.

I have to see it in order to believe it. Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Vampires are in a way real, there are people who are alergic to sunlit, and there are some people who can become addicted to blood so badly they may die if they don't get the right amount of blood.

Not your Tradional Vampire, but...eh...

Werewolves, i highly doubt exist, but i hope they do.... :D

Nessie, i also doubt....how could something that big hide so well?

Ghosts, and aliens are about the only things i'd give any crediable chance of being there.

I can't bring myself to think Humans are the only 'intelligent' race in the enitre universe. :oops:
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Oh not at all. The Dolphins are waaaay smarter than we are.

All they do is swim around the ocean, have sex, and watch the human race wage wars and pay taxes. They're probably laughing it up!
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Silverclaw wrote:
Are you talking about Homo flores, the species of human from the Flores island? They were nicknamed "hobbits" because they were no taller than 4 feet.
The actual "hobbit" is a race whom the family of JR Tolkien holds the copyrights to, and people who infringe on Tolkien's copyrights risk having a pack of ring-wraiths sicced on them.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I believe in PIZZA!!!

Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

If your short then your a hobbit :wink:
I too believe in pizza lck
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Silverclaw wrote:So is their any 'fake' animals, beings that you believe realy do/did exsist?
Bigfoot, aliens, loch Ness Monster, werewolves, witches, faries, dragons, unicorns, griffins, vampires, ghosts, zombies, elves, ect.

I think aliens, bigfoot(s), ghosts and the loch ness monster almost defintly are real. Many things cant be proven or disproven so anything is possiable really.
In some shape or form I can believe in all of them. :wink:
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

:D
A bit off topic, but Animal Planet is having this 3 hr long dragon special on tonight. 8 I think. Oh, and all this week the show Animal X will be on at 9 pm. I think an ep about werewolves may come on(hopefully)
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Bigfoot- No.

Aliens- YES...but none have visited earth. It is as impossible for them to contact us as it is for us to contact them. Crossing the exponential gap between us is simply out of the question...but they are out there...somewhere.

Loch Ness Monster- No. I'm sure there is something living in there that possibly shouldn't, but it 'aint no giant dinosaur-like thing.

WereWolves- Ye'...No...maybe...sort of. There are Therians and there are those who suffer from a psycological disorder named after the werewolf mythology, but real shapeshifters?...No.

Witches- Yes. I know two personally. (One Wiccan, and one straght up Witch) :wink:

Faries- No.

Dragons- ...do "Komodo Dragons" count? ...Dinosaurs? Otherwise, No.

Unicorns- The magical kind...No. One horned, hoved, horse-like animals...probobly at some point in history.

Griffins- No.

Vampires- The" immortal children of darkness" kind...No. ...but Yes.

Ghosts- No.

Zombies- a re-animated, mostly braindead life form...possible, but No. Not really. :oops:

Elves- No.

Hobbits- :lol: ...No.

Pizza- Yes...unless I just finished eating a figment of my imagination. Image ??

:Etc:- I most definately believe that there are truths yet to be discoverd out there...living among us. :wink:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Blade-of-the-Moon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lurking Spirit

Post by Blade-of-the-Moon »

Some dinosaurs perhaps, I'm not talking about birds though they could count. What the ones in the congo that have been identified by the natives living there ?
" The Wolf runs swiftly through the forests of night, he carries the Blade-of-the-Moon.... "
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Hmm, well I know aliens exist. It would just be stupid for them not to. I mean Earth can't possibly be the only planet in the universe with life on it.

Ghosts: Yes. I've run across quite a few of them.
Bigfoot: Eh...maybe. I'm not sure.
Zombies: No. I's just not possible.
Witches: I take it you've never heard of Pagans before...
Traditional undead vampire: Hahahaha...and I'm really a radioactive hamster... (In other words no.)

Let me say now that I do believe in dragons and things like that. My take on things is more from a...what's the word...well it's not a strictly scientific viewpoint. I believe in some of that mystical stuff. Nessie could very well be a dragon. That would also explain why she seems to disappear every time they go looking for her. You see, there is more than just the physical plane. All of you should know about astral travel or have at least heard of it. The other planes are on top of the physical one and also part of it. Erm, think of it like an image in layers with only the "Physical" layer on. That's the only one we see because the others are turned off. They're still there though and we can see them if we switch them to on. Creatures like dragons can move through the veil to the physical and back again. It's like interdimensional travel almost.

There are werewolves. However the possibility of them being actual physical shifters is very, very low. There is still a chance though. The jittery world of quantum mechanics allows for everything to be possible. It just has an extremely small probability of actually happening.
Aki wrote:there are some people who can become addicted to blood so badly they may die if they don't get the right amount of blood.
Well that is the case for some people, but it's not always about a simple addiction to the red stuff. For alot of "vampires" they don't start out needing blood. They usually start needing something extra when they hit their teens. The cause has been argued to death...some blame missing or broken chakras, others claim it's because they're a certain type of otherkin...no one can really agree. There are two types of vampires: sangs, which feed off of blood, and psy vamps, which need life force (psychic energy...whatever). If a true vampire, that is one who needs something extra to survive, doesn't get what it needs they become very sick. If they go too long without it they could very well die.

I could be considered a vampire simply because of my liking for blood. However I do not see anyone with a mere addiction as being a real vampire, myself included. Though I've had more than one person tell me I should've been one. *shrug*
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:oops: Dudes, are you peple stupid? Yees, vampires, lycanthrophes, hobbits, and aliens definetly exist. As for elves, and the like, that might just have been isolated groups of people.

Vampires: there is a disease that makes you lose iron in your blood, which means you must drink blood or eat red meat. it also make you highly sensitive to UV light and your skin starts looking all blotchy... and the idea od dracula came from Vlad the Impaler, a cruel ruler of wallachia (sp?) a country in modern-day romania just south of transylvania (yah, that existed too) who was rumored to dreink he blood of those he impaled.

lycanthropes: debate the exact term, whatever, but there are people who think they turn into creatures and we can tell they don't because.. they look like people when they say they're an animal. also people usedd to rub hallucinogetic salves on their skin which would make the hallucinate.

Hobbits: not sure iif you're talkign about a different thing tyhan me, but why don't you go look here: www.sciam.com ? go to digital and then check on the february 05 issue. you can't get very far nbut i have the actuall magasine here.

as for aliens, there might be some on titan, and there is no way that the rest of the universe hasn't given rise to anything more complicated than pond scum. and as for that, if it aint terrestrial pond scum, it's still an alien life form. :)

changed top part by request of figarou. Sry, that just happened to be my reaction. :oops:
Last edited by Kzinistzerg on Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Shadowblaze wrote::oops: Dudes, are you peple stupid?
Hey now... :( Let's keep the insults to a minimum, (Minimum=0), mmmkay?...
Shadowblaze wrote:...as for aliens, there might be some on titan, and there is no way that the rest of the universe hasn't given rise to anything more complicated than pond scum. and as for that, if it aint terrestrial pond scum, it's still an alien life form.
Exactly. They may not cruise the universe in flying saucers, but I am 101% positive that there are at least extraterestrial bacteria out there somewhere...possibly even within our own solar system.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Shadowblaze wrote: Hobbits: not sure iif you're talkign about a different thing tyhan me, but why don't you go look here: www.sciam.com ? go to digital and then check on the february 05 issue. you can't get very far nbut i have the actuall magasine here.
Homo flores
I'm thinking you mean "The Grandmother Who Eats Anything"
Unless you're talking of the halflings of AD&D's Dark Sun setting, who were supposedly a race of midget cannibals, Tolkien's hobbits were not portrayed as being shy, yet ravenous pygmies.
Vuldari wrote:
Shadowblaze wrote:...as for aliens, there might be some on titan, and there is no way that the rest of the universe hasn't given rise to anything more complicated than pond scum. and as for that, if it aint terrestrial pond scum, it's still an alien life form.
Exactly. They may not cruise the universe in flying saucers, but I am 101% positive that there are at least extraterestrial bacteria out there somewhere...possibly even within our own solar system.
There's a number of scientists who think that there may be life beneath the ice of Jupiter's moon, Europa, as there is an ocean there.
Last edited by Apokryltaros on Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

>_>
<_<
It was europa? i thught it was titan? wha? And yes, that's the article i meant but i wasn't sure if i should paste a 477987624759784 character address. the article shows about a group of tiny people that lived in indonesia (southeast asia) on one of the tinier islands.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Shadowblaze wrote:>_>
<_<
It was europa? i thught it was titan? wha? And yes, that's the article i meant but i wasn't sure if i should paste a 477987624759784 character address. the article shows about a group of tiny people that lived in indonesia (southeast asia) on one of the tinier islands.
Titan is Saturn's largest moon, and is the only moon we know of in the solar system to have its own atmosphere, though of methane. A probe just landed there recently.
Europa doesn't have an atmosphere, but, we do know that it has a liquid interior, presumedly of water.
-Calculon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

To be or not to be...

Post by Scott Gardener »

OK, item by item. Assumptions: "real" means the same as being INSIDE this particular universe. It circumvents the quasi-reality of "if you believe in them, they're real somewhere," which, while I believe it to be true, is not particularly exciting, because it makes them real without really being real. Kind of like my being a therian calling myself a werewolf but not actually shape-shifting by the light of the full moon so much as simply meditating on it.

Bigfoot: The sasquatch is a plausible possibility. The famous photo, unfortunately, is probably a fake; someone finally found by digital analysis a zipper. But, there's a convincing stretch of vacation photos from the Himilayans of a Yeti, and there is precedent for previously "mythical" species being officially "discovered." The gorilla was once thought to be myth and is pretty similar to some sasquatch descriptions.

Aliens: Mathematically almost inevitable, but elusive proof. We could very well end up finding microbes on Mars in our lifetime. As for beings like the Grays, I'm very mixed about them. On the one hand, there were a lot of sightings and accounts prior to their pop culture status. People who describe being abducted have reproducible signs of post-traumatic stress disorder, genuinely arguing that something happened to them. The lack of permanant physical evidence can be almost expected if you're dealing with a genuinely superior intellect that wants to hide proof of itself from us. (If anything, one can wonder why the entities like the Grays aren't doing a better job of hiding themselves, unless they want to be ambiguous--maybe a psychology study on human faith.) But, before you pull out the Betty and Barney Hill starmap and follow the A-5 to Zeta 2 Reticularis, there's also strong arguements against. The biggest is that human evolution took a lot of natural events to guide our specific shape, and there's no sign whatsoever that anyone else fudged us into our present form, and yet UFO accounts routinely describe "humanoid" creatures. Many abduction experiences even go as far as describing interbreeding with them, something that should be less possible than mating humans with garden spiders or coleus plants, both of which are at least distant relatives on the same planet. Legends of faeries and angels abducting people are very similar to UFO abduction stories today, and there are ways of using this observation to argue both for and against the reality of beings like the Grays, Nords, or "reptilians." I say it could go either way. My working hypothesis is that these beings are either Ultraterrestrials--visitors from another reality rather than another planet, or they're time travellers, genetically engineered from our decendants. But, they could be nothing at all but a rationalization of brain farts that cause people spontaneously to suffer PTSD. According to skeptics, that's the rational explanation.
:?
Right...

Loch Ness Monster The best photos, showing us a modern pleisiosaurus, have recently been admitted to be a fake. But, there's a lot of other sightings, both of the creature in Loch Ness itself and of others like Ogopogo and Lake Champlaign's "Champ." How a dinosaur could go unnoticed all this time is a mystery, and it's unlikely that a single one could have lived for 65,000,000 years on its own, so there would have to have been a population of the beasties all this time. But, we've found things like the coelocanth, so it's plausible. Vacation footage of the Yeti...

Werewolves: Their plausibility / implausibility has been talked to death already. I'd generally have to say no. However, I'll confess I have no perfect explanation for the Beast of Bray Road in Wisconsin.

Witches: I know for a fact they're real, because I happen to be one myself, and so is my wife and many of our friends. Wiccans are followers of a nature-based religion that practices magic. By "magic" I'm referring to a combination of ceremonial ritual and creative visualization. It's an area where I'll openly admit I diverge from the flat skeptic's model of reality, because it would take an inordinate number of lucky coincidences to explain the effectiveness of magical rituals. (Some Wiccans and other metaphysicists use the spelling "magick" to distinguish our ritual-induced manifestations from other uses of the word "magic," like basket ball stars and a highly addictive trading card game.) As far as the "devil" witches of the middle ages, that was created out of paranoia and ergot-contaminated rye. ("Well, we did do the nose. But she is a witch.")

Faeries: I do believe in faeries! Explaining what they are, however, is purely conjecture. But, they're appearantly something from another realm that have the ability to affect this realm. Could possibly tie into some of my working theories about alien sightings.

Dragons: I just saw a great special on Animal Planet, discussing a hypothetical real-world evolutionary dragon. (Apokryltaros / Avacnea, it would have been right up your alley.) But, most likely, if they're real, they're probably also somehow affiliated with faeries and aliens. Like werewolves and other shapeshifters, they do seem to be a universal symbol in human consciousness, appearing in every human culture, even those in places where there are no reptiles. So, they couldn't have been just an explanation for dinosaur bones.

Unicorns: Probably started out as a myth that grew. Although matching their cool powers will take a long time, we should be able to engineer through genetics a horse with a horn in a few decades, meaning, ethicists willing, I could some day ride a horse that looked like one.

Griffins: Probably born out of explanations for large bones, though I'm open to less mundane possibilities if given evidence.

Vampires: Similar to therianthropy, there's real-world counterparts with metaphysical ties, but I am highly skeptical of the idea of there actually having been an immortal race of beings who feed on human blood. Accounts of bodies rising can be explained by decomposition anomolies, as well as the reluctance of grave robbers to admit getting into tombs.

Ghosts: I've seen one, or at least the effects of one's presence. I've also seen another show up on developed film, though at the time it was not perceivable. So, I know they're real. I've made no effort to show off the photo to Ripley's Believe It or Not or the like, because I don't feel a need to try to convince others. I'm therefore not asking or expecting anyone to take this testament as credible. I'm simply saying that I believe. Working hypotheses involve either electromagnetics or the concept of souls and the astral plane as an extra dimension.

Zombies: Folklore surrounding them stem from Haiti, where unscrupulous persons claiming to be witch doctors have given people catatonic drugs and pretended to resurrect them from the dead, for a fee. To this end, zombies that are literally undead are almost certainly non-existant, but like vampires, werewolves, and witches, there is a real counterpart.

Elves: Harvey's Pooka Dictionary, 3rd Edition: "see faeries." Faeries: "see elves."
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Rwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: 1,2... 10 pointy black claws.

Post by Rwolf »

Ahh the witches bit. My Old Co-Worker was is a Wiccan, She did a pretty good dream interpretation when I explained my odd werewolf dream. She might of done some tarrot cards on me if I didn't quit my job a year ago.

As for Physical werewolves, I don't think there are any, but I leave myself open if one does exist :P (now if I could only play god and mix human and wolf dna to make some crazy sci-fi fantasy into life *snicker* :lol: )
Werewolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Stressed

Post by Werewolf »

Some legends and mythical creatures usually have some sort of truth to them, however small it may be... they have been for most parts blown out of proportion over the ages and end up as the fantasy images that they are today though.

That may not be the case with all them, but who really knows that fur sure :howl:  :oo
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:| OK, then i misread something. Yeah, I read an article in scientific American about the thingie in titan (yesterday, in fact). I probably automatically linked it to europa. But yes, ppearently europa is the one with an underground body of water which may have sustained/sutain life.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

"I thought you were going back to Europa not Europe." If anyone can figure out where that's from I'll let Figarou bonk me on the noggin with a duckie. :lol:

I saw that special on Animal Planet, it was cool. Though I'm still not sure about the way they said platinum would react with hydrogen... My own theory for fire breathing involved two different chemical producing glands in the roof of the mouth which were tilted towards eachother, and the liquids inside would ignite when coming into contact with one another. I'm no chemist or anything so I can't tell you what would produce that effect, but it had my "scientifically correct" dragons spitting like cobras. Yeah...they lost me with the platinum.

Oh, and contrary to the argument I'd heard somewhere else that platinum is too rare for that type of usage, it's really not. There's oodles and oodles of the stuff mined out of the ground every day. Gemstones and so-called "rare" metals really aren't rare. The only reason they're so expensive is because of all the work that has to be done to make them look pretty. I have half a preserve jar full of uncut gemstones. Cost me about ten bucks for that bunch of sapphires, emeralds, rubies and such. You go to get then cut and polished though and there's where they charge you an arm and a leg. Rare...feh. Liars.

I still stand by my argument that Nessie is an astral dragon.

Just one thing I wanna say about the witches, a male Wiccan is not called a warlock. The word warlock actually translates out to "truth twister" or "liar". Guys are called witches just like the girls. Just so ya know.
Darkmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wallcrawler

Post by Darkmoon »

I was watching CSI ...and like, one of the murders was by this guy who thought that he was a vamipre and drank blood...and it was gross....*cough*

Yes... so people who think that they are vampires = real
vampires the soulless undead= Not real

Werewolves...people with a close connection to wolves...therins whatever...people with the disease lycanthropy= real
People who change form under a full moon = not real

Aliens, intelligent, or other wise liveing life on other planets = real (I mean come on....the chances are soooo high)
Aliens, little green men who create crop circles and do experiments on farmers in Iowa= not real

Ghosts..hmm I am in debate with this one soo I will say:

Trapped human energy/entities that can sometimes surface and manipulate things in our world= Yah.... i guess they exist.. tho i'm not a true "I've seen it with my own eyes" beliver
Floating sheets that go BOO! =Not real

Other such magical creatures =not real...superstition and fairly tales
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Darkmoon wrote:Other such magical creatures =not real...superstition and fairly tales
Ha, hahaha.... "The trouble with fairy tales is, there's always some truth in 'em."
:femshft