Stanton's Big Checklist For Werewolf Movies

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Morkulv wrote:Another thing: don't show werewolves as monkeys (wall-climbing, jumping over fences).
Jumping over fences? Dude, anything can jump over fences. Oh and the wall climbing I like as if were the cartoon Gargoyles, you know the claws digging into the wall. 8)
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Shadow Wulf wrote:
Morkulv wrote:Another thing: don't show werewolves as monkeys (wall-climbing, jumping over fences).
Jumping over fences? Dude, anything can jump over fences. Oh and the wall climbing I like as if were the cartoon Gargoyles, you know the claws digging into the wall. 8)
Gargoyles themselves were semi-stone. Which explains why they didn't tear the flesh on their finger, break their talons and crack their finger bones when digging their calls into solid concrete. And lesser materials, like the walls of a house would break under the Werewolf's weight. :grinp:

And fence jumping depends on fence height. I doubt Morkulv was thinking of a picket fence only three or four feet high.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

well still yet I expect a werewolf to jump much higher than a human.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Shadow Wulf wrote:well still yet I expect a werewolf to jump much higher than a human.
Depends on whether or not a motorized rabbit is nearby.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Motorized Rabbit? :?
Image Image
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Shadow Wulf wrote:Motorized Rabbit? :?
Haven't you ever been to a dog race?
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

nope, never in my life. :D

But I think I know what your talking about, In a greyhound race, that motor rabbit that runs around the field and the dog chases it. Am I right?
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Apokryltaros wrote:
No.

I'm not even aware of any taking place in my aria...or if they are, they are not advertised.

...but I knew what you meant about the Mechanical rabbit. Although...what does that have to do with jumping?

Why WOULDN'T a werwolf jump? Would it be more likely for them to headbutt the fence like a mad bull? ...jumping over seems alot easier to me. I see dog's jump fences (even really, really tall ones) all the time. That's not that monkeyish.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

I like pretty much any TF scene, no matter the length, as long as it's done well. In Freeborn, I'd like to see a nice blend. Experienced shifters should be able to do it in about 30 seconds - 2 minutes, and I'd imagine a first-time shifter to be able to do it in about 3 - 4 minutes.

Although....I would absolutely LOVE it if one of the werewolf characters was especially good at shifting, and could do it really fast. They would probably have to train for years to achieve this, but the effect would be really cool. I'd love to see such a character in a movie. It could be really awesome.

Example:

Say there is a werewolf hunter in Freeborn, encountering said werewolf in human form. They are across from each other in a long room or long hallway. Knowing full well that the werewolf will be more-or-less...not-very-dangerous, the next minute or so, the werewolf hunter begins loading a shotgun shell. The werewolf, in human form, then commences to start running across the room towards the werewolf hunter. The hunter looks mildly amused. The werewolf then does the jump-to-all-fours-in-wolf-form thing and the hunter's expression goes from amused to terrified, and decides to make a hasty retreat.

There are better ways in which a plot device such as this could be used, but that's just an example. Though I wouldn't expect split-second shifting from most werewolves, I'd like to think it could at least be possible for some werewolves, if they work really hard at it.

(Okay, Ok, maybe not in RL. But, it definitely falls well within the suspension of disbelief for a movie. If you wanna disagree with me because you don't like this method of shifting, that's fine. But don't tell me that I'm wrong and that it wouldn't work in Freeborn. You don't know that for a fact and I don't wanna hear it. Unless you're AB, of course.)
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vuldari wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:
No.

I'm not even aware of any taking place in my aria...or if they are, they are not advertised.

...but I knew what you meant about the Mechanical rabbit. Although...what does that have to do with jumping?

Why WOULDN'T a werwolf jump? Would it be more likely for them to headbutt the fence like a mad bull? ...jumping over seems alot easier to me. I see dog's jump fences (even really, really tall ones) all the time. That's not that monkeyish.
Dog racing is where they would race greyhounds at a track, and they would be induced into running by chasing after a motorized rabbit that road along the track.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_racing
I wouldn't be surprised that there aren't any dog races near where you live: it's banned in most states. It's been banned on account of the atrocious turnover rate of the greyhounds used in racing.

ANYHOW

As for werewolves and monkey-like behavior...
There was this one French soldier, back in the late 1700's I think, who was caught and convicted of digging up corpses at a cemetary, and eating them. He confessed to being a werewolf, in that, he would change, and be compelled to eat corpses. The guardsmen who caught him described the way he effortlessly climbed over the cemetary's walls and gates as though he were akin to a giant, monstrous monkey.
-Calculon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

See, and alot of you dont think the monkey like behavior isnt realistic, we are all homo saphiens, the werewolf has to act on the monkey side a bit.
Image Image
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Shadow Wulf wrote:See, and alot of you dont think the monkey like behavior isnt realistic, we are all homo saphiens, the werewolf has to act on the monkey side a bit.
Hmmmm...
But who should we get to direct a movie about a man who turns into a giant werewolf to battle dinosaurs, and scale skyscrapers with a Fay Ray lookalike?
-Calculon
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

One more thing:
I hope and pray that the final designs for the werewolves do not include ridiculously skinny taloned fingers that look more like jointed straws with hooks on them, rather than hands, or paws.
-Calculon
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Curse of the werewolverine

Post by Scott Gardener »

I tend to make my werewolf hands less pudgy than many other werewolf fans, but I still have to agree. Fingers should not be any longer than in human form! And, werewolf claws are not razor sharp; that's more of a cat thing. And, they're definitely not half again the length of the fingers! (That's Wolverine, and they're adamantine implants.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Re: Curse of the werewolverine

Post by Lupin »

Scott Gardener wrote:Fingers should not be any longer than in human form! And, werewolf claws are not razor sharp; that's more of a cat thing.
I have no problem with them being sharp, just as long as the werewolf hadn't been running the Boston Marathon peviously, since the claws start out sharp, then wear down with use.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Lupin wrote:
Scott Gardener wrote:Fingers should not be any longer than in human form! And, werewolf claws are not razor sharp; that's more of a cat thing.
I have no problem with them being sharp, just as long as the werewolf hadn't been running the Boston Marathon peviously, since the claws start out sharp, then wear down with use.
I agree. If the werewolf has recently shifted, their claws will be quite sharp.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

Excelsia wrote:
Lupin wrote:
I agree. If the werewolf has recently shifted, their claws will be quite sharp.
aff
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Lupin wrote:
Or clawing someone to death... :evillaugh:
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Post by garouda »

I should think, as many have suggested, that a first transformation could easily be a night of drawn out agony as the new WW struggles and fights while his body adjusts to being a malleable thing for the very first time.

Over time, unless the WW is feckless and endlessly inept, with experience, and even moreso with the guidance of more knowledgeable WWs, the WW should learn how to change more rapidly and generally with less personal discomfiture.

Also, on occasion, with sufficient cause to do it, a WW might also be able to change deliriously quickly. HOWEVER, there being a strong impetus not to do so. That being the physiological price the WW pays for so doing.

What prices might there be for changing really quickly ?

1. shortly thereafter 'hitting the wall' and suddenly feeling very exhausted.
2. having to wait much longer before the WW can manage the change again.
3. headaches, dizziness, dehydration
4. whatever else folks can think of.
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

When I say, "I strongly dislike "quick" transformations," I mean, "quick," as in, man walks behind a column and is in full costume as he walks out, or, ducks behind or under some convenient piece of furniture or fixture, or, even worse, *poofs* himself into a werewolf.
Those sorts of transformations are the kinds that I feel inverted crucifiction is the only just punishment.
Possibly in conjunction with leg smashing.
-Calculon
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

Apokryltaros wrote:When I say, "I strongly dislike "quick" transformations," I mean, "quick," as in, man walks behind a column and is in full costume as he walks out, or, ducks behind or under some convenient piece of furniture or fixture, or, even worse, *poofs* himself into a werewolf.
Those sorts of transformations are the kinds that I feel inverted crucifiction is the only just punishment.
Possibly in conjunction with leg smashing.
I think you have made that quite clear Apokryltaros, "You don't like quick transformations" I'll make a note of that.

Now for those who have seen Night Watch, did you see the lady transform into a tigress ? I liked the way that was done.

And YES, Apokryltaros, it was very fast, impressive and not expected when it happened.
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Well, mayhaps I should be a little more specific, in that, I don't like quick transformations that have the transformee hide or duck behind something, or poofing, and that it takes at no fewer than three seconds to complete.
-Calculon
garouda
Legendary
Legendary

Post by garouda »

Apokryltaros wrote:Well, mayhaps I should be a little more specific, in that, I don't like quick transformations that have the transformee hide or duck behind something, or poofing, and that it takes at no fewer than three seconds to complete.
The scene could be described as sort of like the arrival and deployment of a magical swat team. The Night Watch, representing the armies of Light. I won't post spoilers, only say the choreography of the scene was really good. And if a stop watch is your only criteria for accepting or rejecting the scene, then you will still hate it. But for me, it was poetry in motion.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

The wolves need tails. I repeat myself over and over on his forum, I must feel very strongly about this subject! :wagtail:

Ginger Snaps passed the criteria.

And then failed, when the tails were short in true form, the wolves were rather hairless to begin with (Growing fur and also a lumbering movement ... ugh in number 3).
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

garouda wrote:
Apokryltaros wrote:Well, mayhaps I should be a little more specific, in that, I don't like quick transformations that have the transformee hide or duck behind something, or poofing, and that it takes at no fewer than three seconds to complete.
The scene could be described as sort of like the arrival and deployment of a magical swat team. The Night Watch, representing the armies of Light. I won't post spoilers, only say the choreography of the scene was really good. And if a stop watch is your only criteria for accepting or rejecting the scene, then you will still hate it. But for me, it was poetry in motion.
I will pass judgement WHEN I see it, and not before.
Please don't pass judgement for me: I don't appreciate people predicting my future for me.
I'm listing my criteria (which happens to include MORE THAN A STOPWATCH IF YOU'VE ACTUALLY READ THIS THREAD), preferences and my experiences, that's all.
In fact, I remember watching it in one of the trailers for that movie. But I intend to hold off on making a judgement about it until I watch the whole movie. Unless, of course, you intend to make a judgement for me, and thus, save me the trouble of actually watching the movie.
I mean, if you're so sure that I measure my enjoyment of werewolf movies with a stopwatch, then, please explain to us in detail why I liked the movie "Wolf," and yet, strongly disliked the movie "Underworld."
-Calculon