What happens when...

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Wolfess
Pack Member
Pack Member

What happens when...

Post by Wolfess »

OK, everyone has agreed that when a werewolf bites a human, the human gets infected and becomes a werewolf himself. BUT... What the hell happens when a werewolf bites a wolf? ?? Does the infection work both ways or only on humans? :shift: rvt
"We humans fear the beast within the wolf, because we do not understand the beast within ourselves."
~ Gerald Hausman
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Then you'll get a wolfwolf! :P

Double the wolf, double the fun!
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Morkulv wrote:Then you'll get a wolfwolf! :P

Double the wolf, double the fun!
You get that when you chew Wrigley's Doublemint Gum

:bubblegum: :bubblegum:

:jester2:
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

You mean that the wolf would become some kinda savage giant wolf like creature :?
Sounds cool but would humans already spotted these beings. I think ordinary wolf can't become just ordinary werewolf.
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Only works on humans, IMO.
white
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Post-Humanist

Post by white »

Yeah, it wouldn't make sense for the 'virus' to work both ways, at least assuming a relatively realistic view of things.
Sanity is relative.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Ralith wrote:Yeah, it wouldn't make sense for the 'virus' to work both ways, at least assuming a relatively realistic view of things.
Yeah...I agree. Likely nothing would happen. ...or it would kill the wolf.

The impression I've been getting is that Lycanthropy "Add"s the wolf part to the human. ...there is no "human" in lycanthropy, so it would not give a wolf the ability to transform into a human or anything like that.

...now...making the wolf pumped up or something...like someone gave it a dose of sterioids (copmplete with negative, deforming or damaging side effects), plus some of the regenerative qualities. That might be interesting.

Ferral wolves could possibly become "Carriers" of Lycanthropy, thus making it possible to become a werewolf after being bitten by a ferral wolf, if it was infected.

...but I don't think biting a wolf would turn it into a "Wolf-Were" or anything like that.

IMHO
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Anyone ever read "Howling Mad"? Good story about a wolf that was bitten by a werewolf :)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Renorei wrote:Only works on humans, IMO.
I agree.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
mielikkishunt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by mielikkishunt »

Silverclaw wrote:Anyone ever read "Howling Mad"? Good story about a wolf that was bitten by a werewolf :)

L:OVE this book!
Lt Com Kyr

Could someone explain why my Russian Wolfhound only eats my WereWolf Books?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

In an old version of my storyline, I had the virus-like entity create a haploid mix of itself, and the infected wolf could shift and pass it on. But, it doesn't convey human knowledge base, so the being would be very confused and pretty feral.

In my current versions, it doesn't work. Technically, a werewolf is a person with a set of genes derived from wolves, but aren't technically wolves, even in wolf form. Biting a wolf does nothig, because the virus-like entity has no human-based material with which to work. It could conceivably work on a chimpanzee or, if you can get around a million or so years of extinction, an Australopithicus. But, more likely, the infected primate would die a horrible death, even if they don't have the same brain size problem to work around.

Of course, it depends on one's own storyline; I have no pretense of personal story superiority.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kwipper
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Werebear Extroidnare
Mood: Happy

Post by Kwipper »

A werewolf who was born as a wolf.... bites a wolf... and the wolf will explode.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Well, depends what the virus actually manipulates. Obviously it gives the human other powers other than wolf genes, so I'm guessing the wolf may gain something else. But then what happens when you insert human genes into a human? Depends what genes and all, most would just I don't know,

I'm confused now and I'm a second year Biology student.

Nevermind me. -Tail between legs again- awww...I can't even remember what I had in mind...
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Lyco
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lyco »

Silverclaw wrote:Anyone ever read "Howling Mad"? Good story about a wolf that was bitten by a werewolf :)
Woah... i like just finished reading that book for my Individual Study Project at school. Coinsidance much? :D Yeah I thought that book was cool, not terrabley well writen, but i enjoyed it.

I won't spoil anything, but that book difinatly has the best use of silver to kill a werewolf ever in it.

anyway back on subject.

I've always liked that idea that lycanthropy works both ways. It sort just alway made sence in my head. But if lycanthropy it going to be portrayed as a virus then we might want to approch the subject with a certain degree of physiological realism.

Now I'm no biology buff but to my knowlage, animals are not all susceptible to all the same illness humans are. Every species's immune system work diffrently. I'm not saying the wolf should be immune, but i think it would only make sence that it's immune system would handle the virus in a diffrent manner then a human's.

I guess we'd have to hammer out some fine details on what exactally the lycanthropy virus is. Is it one of those diseases that only effects humans... or can it leech out into other creature as well?
Vuldari wrote:...now...making the wolf pumped up or something...like someone gave it a dose of sterioids (copmplete with negative, deforming or damaging side effects), plus some of the regenerative qualities. That might be interesting.

Ferral wolves could possibly become "Carriers" of Lycanthropy, thus making it possible to become a werewolf after being bitten by a ferral wolf, if it was infected.
This might a a good way of working it... i especally like the idea of the wolf becoming a carrier. But if this happens to wolves that are bittin, it could theoredically happen to dogs as well, right? Some breeds of dogs are very anotomically similar to wolves, what stopping the virus from having the same effect on them?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Renorei wrote:Only works on humans, IMO.
Ralith wrote:Yeah, it wouldn't make sense for the 'virus' to work both ways, at least assuming a relatively realistic view of things.

Yeah, the virus only turns people into something that looks like a wolf. I'd guess it would probably be complex enough that it wouldn't act at all upon real wolves.s
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Kwipper wrote:A werewolf who was born as a wolf.... bites a wolf... and the wolf will explode.
:toxicduckie:
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Post by garouda »

Since to all appearances, the WW virus seems to recode the infected human being, it appears to be highly evolved to attack and recode a human genetic string.

A chimpanzee is only a few percent different from humans, and yet look how much that difference counts for. A wolf is far more different in its genetic coding. I think this virus would be a total wash. It has too much to do and way too much variance between humans and real wolves to be able to accomplish it both ways.
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

garouda wrote:A chimpanzee is only a few percent different from humans, and yet look how much that difference counts for.
IIRC, it's more like one percent. And we share 97% of our DNA with yeast.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Post by garouda »

Those small percentages don't sound like much. But those silly small numbers mean a lot.
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Lupin wrote:
garouda wrote:A chimpanzee is only a few percent different from humans, and yet look how much that difference counts for.

Really?!?!? Dough!!! (D'oh)

I guess that explains why I feel like toast during the summer months. :o

Q: What's the difference between bread and the sun?

A: The sun rises from the east and bread rises from the yeast!

HA!!!... I'm on a roll!! :lol:

Errr....ummmm.....excuse me. I need to go pinch a loaf.

Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Figarou wrote:
Lupin wrote:

Really?!?!? Dough!!! (D'oh)

I guess that explains why I feel like toast during the summer months. :o

Q: What's the difference between bread and the sun?

A: The sun rises from the east and bread rises from the yeast!

HA!!!... I'm on a roll!! :lol:

Errr....ummmm.....excuse me. I need to go pinch a loaf.

AAAAAAAHHHH PUNS!!!!!!! :VERYcaf:
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Lupin wrote:
And yet, scientists and explorers never found a skeleton of a combi between humans and ape genes. So there is a lack of proof, and numbers don't say anything: Rabbits, rats, and even pigs also have a lot in common with humans as well, but that scientists never mention.
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lupin »

Morkulv wrote:And yet, scientists and explorers never found a skeleton of a combi between humans and ape genes. So there is a lack of proof, and numbers don't say anything: Rabbits, rats, and even pigs also have a lot in common with humans as well, but that scientists never mention.
Abscence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Those animals also have a lot less in common than humans and primates, then humans do with other primates. Like the fact that we share the same sex determining gene as apes and monkies, whils most non-primate animals use a completely diferent one. Digging up bones is not the only way to prove relation.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Morkulv wrote:And yet, scientists and explorers never found a skeleton of a combi between humans and ape genes. So there is a lack of proof, and numbers don't say anything: Rabbits, rats, and even pigs also have a lot in common with humans as well, but that scientists never mention.
That's because there never was such a thing. The "Missing Link" theory is Bull$***.

Evolution of mankind did NOT go:

"X ancestor (primate)" -> "Ape" -> "Human".

It was more like...;

"X ancestor (primate)" -->"X jr. A" -> "Pre-Human" __> "Cro-magnon" --> "Human"
........................................|.............................................|_>"Neanderthal" -> (DEAD)
........................................|_>"X jr. B"_
.............................................................|_>"pre-ape"_
.................................................................................|_> Everything...
.................................................................................|_>...from...
.................................................................................|_>...Gorrilas...
.................................................................................|_>...to...
.................................................................................|_>...Lemurs.

The ape chain is much more complex than that, and there were surely more failed cousins that split off of the "A" chain before the critical Neanderthal/Cro-Magnon era, but otherwise, I think that about sums it up.

So long as people keep $%^$ing up the evolutionary theory, I will keep correcting them. There is no "missing link". We were not decended from monkeys. ...but we share the same great great great great... Grandfather, who was neither ape nor human...yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Edit:] This public service announcement has been brought to you by the Evolutionary awareness association. We now bring you back to your regularly scheduled conversation.

:wink:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~