Apocalypto

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
garouda
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Do You Believe In Magic ?

Apocalypto

Post by garouda »

Apocalypto

It has been a few months since I saw the teaser for this in the movie theater, but it captured my imagination the moment I saw it.

It is presumably coming this summer and I can hardly wait.

Set in the Americas, before the time of the arrival of the Europeans, it takes place entirely in the World of the Maya. And all the dialogue is in Yucatec Maya.

Woot !

Time currently has a very tantalizing article: Apocalypto Now

And the official movie site is here: Mel Gibson's Apocalypto

Why does such a film catch my imagination so easily ?

Here is a list of some of my favorite films:

The New World
The Mission
Black Robe
Dances With Wolves
Little Big Man
Dreamkeeper
Windwalker
The change, does it wrack the bones and rend the flesh ? Yes, indeed it does. But is this pain and agony alone ? No, in fact hardly at all. It is the Sacrament of the Moon. The flesh flows and so do the endorphins. It is, in truth, the agony ecstatic; The Pain That Is Pleasure
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It definitely looks like a really ambitious movie at the least, although unless it's the costumes and architecture that you like about native American movies, I'm not sure how this one will stand up with the others. What makes the Mayans unique among all other native American tribes is that they were the ones that did themselves in.

I probably won't get a chance to see this one, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on its progress and reviews.
forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Present of Darkness

Post by forsaken_wolf »

I just gotta check this movie out, and I gotta here more about it.
"lolis"
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

SEEN IT!!! Watched it in work on Overtime :lol:

Very good movie. Pretty brutal and bloody too. If you can cope with subtitles it's a very enjoyable watch. :thumbsup:
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

I think Mel Gibson is a lousy director. Never liked his movies. I think Passion of the Christ was rightout boring and not very convinsing at all, so I'll skip this movie I think.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Never saw Passion of Christ, Never really wanted to. This is more of an action movie tho. Don't write it off just cos of who directed it. Give it a go...you might be surprised
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."