World versions of werewolves

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Yeah a mistake with the DNA, errors in transcription and such. Or perhaps there is a pressure for them to mutate and change...well I mean those that mutated survive (Er...as far as a non living thing can 'survive') or are just able to infect more bacteria cells and spread their DNA and whatever, rather than others that didn't mutate.

So they all decide to mutate!! :crazy:
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
New Moon Howl
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by New Moon Howl »

wouldn't a were's..ummm...inner/outer wolf already be different as they're are various differences in wolves, from the red wolf to the timber wolf and other types of wolves....
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

New Moon Howl wrote:wouldn't a were's..ummm...inner/outer wolf already be different as they're are various differences in wolves, from the red wolf to the timber wolf and other types of wolves....
Yeah we added that into the equation before :P so if you are an Asian who was bitten by a red wolf, you would shift into a red wolf. Unless there were Asian genes that modified the red wolf genes a little. If you then bred with an Englishman who was bitten by an Indian wolf, your child would be half Asian, half English, and their werewolf side would be a cross between a red wolf, and an Indian wolf; because the two humans can interbreed successfully. But they might have genes that make those wolves different too.

Eh I havent posted in a while Im not sure I recall what the topic was about. Sorry!
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Speaking of race and werewolves, I kinda wonder how an african-american were's fur would look, because I don't know how that very nappy hair would translate to fur very well.
XIV
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I remember toying with the possibility that many different creatures of legend could actually all be the same species interpreted differently. The example I used was Europeans seeing them as looking like wolves and calling them werewolves while Asians see them as more closely resembling foxes and calling them kitsunes.

Suggesting that there could be many different variations of shapeshifter with one common ancestor could be just as likely, especially if we consider shapeshifters to be humans with lycanthropy instead of their own species. Viruses and bacterium reproduce and evolve rapidly. If you allowed lycanthropy to spread undisturbed, you could have hundreds of different variations of lycanthropy in less than a lifetime.

Of course, the chances of lycanthropy ever having been allowed to reproduce unhindered in this planet's history are slim at best, so the more realistic approach would be if, as you said, there were only one or two variations of lycanthropy per region. Or more accurately, one or two forms native to each region. In today's age of global travel, any infectious syndrome can be introduced to any region at any time. Assuming all forms of lycanthropy are infectious, it's not far fetched to presume that at least the majority of the world's variations of lycanthropy could be found somewhere in North America right now.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Dreamer wrote:Speaking of race and werewolves, I kinda wonder how an african-american were's fur would look, because I don't know how that very nappy hair would translate to fur very well.
You're mistaking Hair with Fur. They are different: the Hair on your head is usually quite different from the Fur on your body (Underarms and lower, as well as some chests and backs).
Yes, Humans have Fur; pathetic as it may be, it's still Fur and not the same as what's growing (or once grew) on top of your head.
Whichmakes me wonder at how a Were' with naturally curly hair would look...Wolf Fur all over, and this curly thing on top of their head; or worse; some fellow that's gone bald...
Here's a topic; Would a bald Werewolf wear a Toupee? :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

RedEye wrote:
Dreamer wrote:Speaking of race and werewolves, I kinda wonder how an african-american were's fur would look, because I don't know how that very nappy hair would translate to fur very well.
You're mistaking Hair with Fur. They are different: the Hair on your head is usually quite different from the Fur on your body (Underarms and lower, as well as some chests and backs).
Yes, Humans have Fur; pathetic as it may be, it's still Fur and not the same as what's growing (or once grew) on top of your head.
Whichmakes me wonder at how a Were' with naturally curly hair would look...Wolf Fur all over, and this curly thing on top of their head; or worse; some fellow that's gone bald...
Here's a topic; Would a bald Werewolf wear a Toupee? :lol:
I'd be that werewolf with the curly hair. I figure fur would grow even where it's already present, so a werewolf's "hair" would probably look the same way in were form, only a little longer and more unkempt (straight or curly would transfer, but not dreadlocks, ponytails and the like). By that logic, a bald werewolf would just have the standard wolf's fur on his head.
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

RedEye wrote:You're mistaking Hair with Fur. They are different: the Hair on your head is usually quite different from the Fur on your body (Underarms and lower, as well as some chests and backs).
I can assure that male pattern baldness is no barrier to luxuriant "fur" elsewhere (chest, arms, etc.) I will not expound further on this matter due the the possibility of TMI liability issues... :wink:
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

Possibly variations of fur color and thickness. Possibly size and of course social habits etc. :)