Real Werewolves, are they out there.

The place to talk about where a lot of things started. Stories and history, references, etc.

Do you think werewolves exist?

Yes
56%
No
26%
2 - Doesn’t really care either way
18%

Total votes: 312

Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

Post by Anook »

Well,

I would like to think werewolves exist and people could actually turn into one, but I guess the reality of it is.....well..............no.

They don't exist and I don't understand the whole therian thing at all. How did it come about anyway?
I have a feeling that no one will answer this reply, but if you do...........then thanks.
Please explain the therian thing to me.
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Anook wrote:Please explain the therian thing to me.
The oversimplified version of it is: a therian is someone who believes themself to have the soul of an animal, or otherwise believes themself to be an animal in some real sense.

The more complex version is that it's very much like a religion. As such, its definition is often a source of heated debate. A common saying is, "Ask 10 different therians for a definition and you'll get 11 different answers."

You can find a more complete analysis here.

-- Vilkacis
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

Thank you
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Alexus
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Alexus »

I have to go with undecided. Can't say yes since I have never come across conrete proof of one and I can't say no because I firmly believe there are a lot of thing humans still don't know.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Even though my opinion was 'Implied' by my previous post, I never actually answered this question yet, though I voted.

NO. Werewolves do not Exist. That is a foolishly Naive notion.

...that's like asking if you think "The Lord of the Rings" is a true story.

Werewolves are something that people made up. They are Imaginary.

...like the boogyman.

It is merely a natural creation of thought that multiple cultures all thought of on their own, because...honestly...given hundreds of thousands of years, how can any culture observe the wildlife around them without ever thinking, at least once...

"Hmmm...what if...What if that Wolf could walk and think like a Man?.......What if that actually WAS a man, who just looked like a Wolf? ... What if a wolf could Look like and pretend to be a Man? *Gasp* ...would it eat our children, and our livestock in our sleep?...".

Stop fooling yourselves. There IS alot we don't know yet...but we know enough to know that Creatures such as Werewolves do not exist on planet earth.

The only places where things exist that we don't know about yet are arias that are difficult for us to properly explore...like the depths of the ocean where one can loose a 3-Ton Whale, and tiny corners of vast jungles where previously unknown TINY animals are hiding.

But Werewolves would have to live where we live. We would have noticed them by now.

OF COURSE werewolves do not exist.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Anook wrote:Well,

I would like to think werewolves exist and people could actually turn into one, but I guess the reality of it is.....well..............no.

They don't exist and I don't understand the whole therian thing at all. How did it come about anyway?
I have a feeling that no one will answer this reply, but if you do...........then thanks.
Please explain the therian thing to me.

Personally, I have a hypothesis about therianism (which I'm sure many therians will instantaneously try to debunk...la dee da). I think it's a psychological defense mechanism. I think that, if someone is unhappy with their human self, their brain might, in reaction to this, 'invent' another self that they can be more happy with. I am not suggesting that every single therian is a therian for this reason, but undoubtedly, SOME of them are.
Alexus
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Alexus »

wolfbound
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: thats right. I am a booze hound

Post by wolfbound »

Mental werewolves: Yes

'Werewolf Dieseise' (excessive hair, rabies): Yes

Spiritual Werewolves: Yes

Physicly shifting werewolves: NO!!
i will believe it when i see it. but the spiritual side is something else.
i can see and understand when some one dose something that is strongly related. like for me when I am with someone. i tend to a grawl, claw, drool, and so on and they all tell me that i am like a werewolf. and i know that i am not the only one out there.
you never know just how you look through other peoples' eyes.
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

You act like a werewolf? :?

Haven't we all read that werewolves are people who actually turn physcially into a wolf like creature?!

I know there are some people in Germany who believe they'ev seen and heard strange things, and they'ev come to the conclusion thats it must be werewolves.

I feel very compelled to just go over there, march through some forest, and prove to them that werewolves don't exist.......of coarse I know it will take more then that to disprove the theory of werewolves in Germany.

Wasn't there something in the newspapers awhile back about someone seeing a werewolf somewhere in Ohio?? ?? ?
Silver_Lycan
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Silver_Lycan »

I don't see why ever is always ready to jump to the "scientific" rules. The world is a lot more interesting is you believe in something to be true.

Recently scientits said that the bumle bee shouldn't be able to fly with its small wings. But i can!

But my theroy is this:

In Britain there have been many incidents of sheep being torn apart, this was blamed on loose jaguars, but whenever experts from a zoo came to hunt them down, they could never find any evidence of jaguars being anywhere near the area.

But this is just my theory, i believe that werewolves exist, or where would all these legends come from :D
He who risks nothing, is nothing, has nothing and does nothing.

Bound by his rules he is a slave and can never be free.
WordWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ad bestiae Christi

Post by WordWolf »

Silver_Lycan wrote:I don't see why ever is always ready to jump to the "scientific" rules. The world is a lot more interesting is you believe in something to be true.
But believing you can fly like Superman is such a drag when you
actually jump off a roof and find that gravity will not accomodate you...
Recently scientits said that the bumle bee shouldn't be able to fly with its small wings. But i can!
Supposing you meant "but IT can",
no scientist made any such claim "recently".
What they said before was
"We know this happens-we observed it.
We do not know HOW this happens."
That's common when scientists do their
jobs and study things-at least for a time.
Even LIGHT is only partly understood-
but no scientists argues it doesn't exist.

On the other hand, they haven't observed
people changing into animals,
or people flying like Superman.
If they ever do, THEN we have an
entirely DIFFERENT discussion.

Both would be FUN, but we live in what IS and
not what we WISH existed.
But my theroy is this:

In Britain there have been many incidents of sheep being torn apart, this was blamed on loose jaguars, but whenever experts from a zoo came to hunt them down, they could never find any evidence of jaguars being anywhere near the area.

But this is just my theory, i believe that werewolves exist, or where would all these legends come from :D
One unanswered question does NOT mean you can
suppose werewolves exist.

Legends don't mean that, either.
Otherwise, Spring-Heeled Jack would have killed some
of those werewolves in Britain by now.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Post by Scott Gardener »

Silver Lycan:
But this is just my theory, i believe that werewolves exist, or where would all these legends come from
The existance of legends is not itself proof of fact.

Consider the urban legend of the stolen kidney. (Story goes that someone slept with a hooker only to get hit with knock-out drugs. He awoke the following morning in a bathtub--in some accounts filled with iced lemon juice--with terrible flank pain, two back scars, and a note advising the person to call 911, as he was now missing two kidneys.

The problem with this urban myth is that such a victim would surely die, unless the hotel happened to have a sterile operating room staffed with OR nurses, and the kidney-stealing vixen happened to have surgical training herself. The renal arteries come directly off the aorta and are major blood vessels; someone without qualified training would likely cause the victim to bleed to death, in only a minute or two. Not to mention other problems like infections, which would be inevitable in such a context. Black market organ harvests would almost certainly involve killing the victim.

Other myths are frequently proven wrong. The Discovery Channel's Mythbusters is a great show that tends to disprove most of the urban legends and other myths they test, and they do it with amusingly explosive flair.

Still, the universality of werewolf-like shapeshifter legends does give one pause. (Give one paws? Hyuk, hyuk.) But, this could be explained by something as basic and dull as it being a fairly easy thing to think up. Lots of cultures independently probably invented the wheel long before discovering each other. I'd be more impressed if all werewolf legends described a nearly identical shapeshifting process, the same vulnerabilities, the same unusual powers, and the like. Instead, the legends differ widely by region. They also involve shifting into animals that the locals can see. If werewolf legends happened in places that had never seen wolves, now that would be intreaguing.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Silver_Lycan
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Silver_Lycan »

Ah sorry, bit i recently heard about scientists claiming that point :D my bad. Just shows i gotta keep up to date.

Perhpa the werewolf does exist, but instead of them being a human turning into a wolf, they instad are just an over grown wolf. If you if, a mutant.

People saw it, or them, and thus sprang the legends.

True that if you jump off a building thinking you can fly you will be killed, but there is a fine line between believing and stupidity.

You say that we live in what IS, well how can you truly say that werewolves are not part of this IS. The same dogmatic way of thinking has been drilled into the skulls of everyone since the begginning of time, if people can't prove that it exists then it can't exist, yet tomorrow someone could prove that wrewolves do exist.

I'll give you that, most werewolf legends have started where wolves do run free, it would be interesting to hear a werewolf legend from Africa :) but i dout it. I woudl be interested to see where the very first legends did appear from, the oldest one i can find is one from Germany, did wolves run wild there? But then you also have to think about fake evidence, made up by people for the hell of it.
He who risks nothing, is nothing, has nothing and does nothing.

Bound by his rules he is a slave and can never be free.
Wolfenstein
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by Wolfenstein »

As much as I'd like to believe, I had to vote undecided. While I don't think that I can discount their existance as a possibility, I can't bring myself to endorse the idea, either.

Ancient Viking warriors known as berserks or berserkers believed that by eating the flesh of a wolf or a bear, they could turn into a wolf or bear in battle. These were truly among the most fearsome elite of warriors in all of human history. Some say they ate "magic" mushrooms; some say they drank lots of booze. However, the mushrooms contain properties that make the eater literally sick, like throwing up, and alcohol is a "downer" so drinking a whole lot of it would have made them pass out instead of enter a frenzy.

Maybe it was genetic or mental, but these people were fierce beyond reason. But it also could have been that by eating the flesh of an animal, they were able to transform, at least in part, into that animal.

I can't say for sure. If it's hereditary, then wouldn't Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, German, English, Scottish, Danish, Irish, Finnish, Russian, and even French (because the Vikings conquered Normandy) descendents of the Vikings have this power to reach such a state of uncontrollable frenzy as their forebears? I don't know about you, but I haven't heard any reports of people going berserk playing football or whatever and tearing their oponents to shreds. I tend to believe that it's... well, magical, if you will. Since this similar happening is still unexplained (if it isn't, please let me know), I tend to think that werewolves could exist.

Edited for spelling, grammar, and overall flow.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

No is pretty close behind, I believe somethings out their, anything is possible people. You just got to have a open mind, saying no only makes you as close minded as a person who is too open minded.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Vuldari wrote: Actually...only 44 people said YES...

If you add together NO and UNDECIDED...they add up to 51.
Right, but you can't go adding up categories to get the answer you want.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Vuldari wrote:...also, I seem to remember seeing people say things like , "...because we know there are things out there we don't know about or understand yet, and because we don't know any, or understand how a REAL werewolf could exist, then I think that werewolves are real."

...which is a broken, pathetic imitation of logic as far as I'm concerned.
Then by your definition, it's stupid to believe in things like God and angels as well. You must be proud of yourself. Or is it that you only apply that to things like werewolves? By purely scientific standards both are impossible, yet so many pick-and-choose what is logical and what is not simply by what they do or do not like.
Lupin wrote:Right, but you can't go adding up categories to get the answer you want.
Indeed. Out of all the people who voted either "Yes" or "No", you have more people who said yes. The undecided are on the fence. Meaning they think werewolves could exist, but aren't sure one way or another whether they want to make that claim.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Set wrote:
Vuldari wrote:...also, I seem to remember seeing people say things like , "...because we know there are things out there we don't know about or understand yet, and because we don't know any, or understand how a REAL werewolf could exist, then I think that werewolves are real."

Then by your definition, it's stupid to believe in things like God and angels as well. You must be proud of yourself. Or is it that you only apply that to things like werewolves? By purely scientific standards both are impossible, yet so many pick-and-choose what is logical and what is not simply by what they do or do not like.
I am Agnostic. I don't "Believe" in Anything unless I have a good reason to.

...But this is not the place to discuss religious beliefs and opinions.

However...I am so brutally insistant about this because I DO "Believe" that it is honestly DANGEROUS to convince oneself that obviously nonsensical things are real. It's fine when you are just pretending...but when you actually start to BELIEVE that an invisable Dragon lives on your roof, or that your next door neigbor is a Werewolf, and start acting on those beliefs, it is no longer just hamless openmindedness. When you wrecklessly cross the line from wanting to believe in nonsense, to REALLY believing that your school teacher is a blood sucking, neck biting vampire, and begin to act differently because of it, it is time for a friendly "Intervention".

I love to think about "What If"s as much as anyone here, but it honestly scares me to think that some people here are actually serious about believing in REAL werewolves. What would you do if you were bitten by a creature you believed was a werewolf? Would you refuse to clean the wound untill the next full moon waiting for it to transform you...only to end up in a hospital for a month and loose your arm to a gnarly infection instead?

If some convincing evidence of a real werewolf ever appeared in the news, I would be glued to the TV, Newspapers and NewsSites waiting for more information, with my heart racing, with the rest of you. Of course I would LIKE to believe that such an incredible creature could exist, just as I HOPE that there really is a Heaven waiting for me after I die, but I plead for all of you to be reasonably skeptical, and to resist believing in things just because you WANT them to be real...becuase if you just believe in whatever you WANT, in spite of logic and reason...

...well...

...the man who runs for the horizon after every rainstorm, desperatly trying to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow before it dissapears...He will never be happy, because you can never catch what was never there.

To put it another way:
It is one thing to pray to the angels to help you get through a tough time in your life, or to watch over a sick friend...just in case someone is listening, ( Even I Do From time to time ) ...but it is entirely another to jump off a cliff with the certain belief that those same angels will catch you before you hit the bottom.

In spite of all this,"UNDECIDED" seems a perfectly reasonble answer as far as I'm concerned, as there are certainly some difficult-to-explain phenominon out there, in both ancient and recent lore.

I know I must appear concieted, as I am more-or-less telling people what they should believe, but I am only doing it because I care, and I really don't want any of you people...my friends...to risk hurting yourselves, emotionally, (or in extreme cases, "Physically"), over this.

...because I'm worried about just what someone who really believes there is a werewolf in thier neigborhood would DO...

Last edited by Vuldari on Tue May 30, 2006 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

=^.^'= ~
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

i just belive what i want to belive, but i realize what your saying and i can say so for myself that even if i thought these things were real i would do nothing about it untel it its confirmed thro true facts or news, i would not mettle and i wouldn't be stupid anoth to allow a belief of mine get in the way of real life unless i have factors that if i fail i well still be fit for normal life
E.G. im not going to search for any werewolf or such unless i have anoth funds and time for it, untel then im just going to live life to the fulliest
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Just because we believe in something doesn't mean we'll do stupid things because of it. Granted, some people do, but I had hoped you thought better of us than that.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Meh...you can't prove conclusively that either God or werewolves exist...but from my point of view at least, too many unusual coincidences have happened in my own life to suggest to me that there is a God, but nothing at all like that has happened when it comes to werewolves. To me at least, a God makes far more sense than werewolves do.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Renorei wrote:Meh...you can't prove conclusively that either God or werewolves exist...but from my point of view at least, too many unusual coincidences have happened in my own life to suggest to me that there is a God, but nothing at all like that has happened when it comes to werewolves. To me at least, a God makes far more sense than werewolves do.
Thats because according to us God controls everything and everyone, he decides wether you live or die, wether you should get this jon or not. and so on, so ofcourse its gonna seem like it makes more sense. As for werewolves, they must have atleast to have existed at one time or another if the legend is heard of all around the globe sense before christ.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Vuldari wrote:
Set wrote:

I am Agnostic. I don't "Believe" in Anything unless I have a good reason to.

...But this is not the place to discuss religious beliefs and opinions.

However...I am so brutally insistant about this because I DO "Believe" that it is honestly DANGEROUS to convince oneself that obviously nonsensical things are real. It's fine when you are just pretending...but when you actually start to BELIEVE that an invisable Dragon lives on your roof, or that your next door neigbor is a Werewolf, and start acting on those beliefs, it is no longer just hamless openmindedness. When you wrecklessly cross the line from wanting to believe in nonsense, to REALLY believing that your school teacher is a blood sucking, neck biting vampire, and begin to act differently because of it, it is time for a friendly "Intervention".

I love to think about "What If"s as much as anyone here, but it honestly scares me to think that some people here are actually serious about believing in REAL werewolves. What would you do if you were bitten by a creature you believed was a werewolf? Would you refuse to clean the wound untill the next full moon waiting for it to transform you...only to end up in a hospital for a month and loose your arm to a gnarly infection instead?

If some convincing evidence of a real werewolf ever appeared in the news, I would be glued to the TV, Newspapers and NewsSites waiting for more information, with my heart racing, with the rest of you. Of course I would LIKE to believe that such an incredible creature could exist, just as I HOPE that there really is a Heaven waiting for me after I die, but I plead for all of you to be reasonably skeptical, and to resist believing in things just because you WANT them to be real...becuase if you just believe in whatever you WANT, in spite of logic and reason...

...well...

...the man who runs for the horizon after every rainstorm, desperatly trying to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow before it dissapears...He will never be happy, because you can never catch what was never there.

To put it another way:
It is one thing to pray to the angels to help you get through a tough time in your life, or to watch over a sick friend...just in case someone is listening, ( Even I Do From time to time ) ...but it is entirely another to jump off a cliff with the certain belief that those same angels will catch you before you hit the bottom.

In spite of all this,"UNDECIDED" seems a perfectly reasonble answer as far as I'm concerned, as there are certainly some difficult-to-explain phenominon out there, in both ancient and recent lore.

I know I must appear concieted, as I am more-or-less telling people what they should believe, but I am only doing it because I care, and I really don't want any of you people...my friends...to risk hurting yourselves, emotionally, (or in extreme cases, "Physically"), over this.

...because I'm worried about just what someone who really believes there is a werewolf in thier neigborhood would DO...

Have you ever considered that your vision of werewolves may be the reason that it seems so less plausible to you? Believing in werewolves is more then just believing in a movie-type of werewolf, or in Goldenwolfen-wolves, because if that is the case, I think I can see the reason why you are pessimistic about this. Maybe you need to think outside your personal view-box. Just a friendly thought, don't mean anything with it.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.