Real or Not

The place for anything at all...
Darkmoon
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wallcrawler

Post by Darkmoon »

Reilune wrote:
Darkmoon wrote:Other such magical creatures =not real...superstition and fairly tales
Ha, hahaha.... "The trouble with fairy tales is, there's always some truth in 'em."
:femshft
I wish...
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Reilune wrote:"I thought you were going back to Europa not Europe." If anyone can figure out where that's from I'll let Figarou bonk me on the noggin with a duckie. :lol:
I'll be ready for it!! :D

:duckie
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

I wish to point two things out:

1) if you didn't already know, crop circles are created by people. humans. homo sapiens. the making of crop circles got filmed. okie?

2) I catn't believe in ghosts because even at my age i have a somewhat... bland view of death, that sentience is merley a chance of time and eventual evolution, and that i doubt there is anything divinne but i'm not closed to that idea. So having ghosts or zombies would go against that...

but you could probably take a freshly dead person and using the right electrical signals make a zombie, but we don't have the drive or the technology.

by electrical signals... i mean... and chemical signals... actually, you would have a really hard time doing that as everything decayed, but if they'd just died it could probably work foer a short time.

and it would be horrendously xpensive and pointless.

but the point is that i don't think they exist.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I think bigfoot and aleins can defently exsist. And I also hope I don't see another werewolf movie with a strange bigfoot like thing as a werewolf. :oops:
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Re: Real or Not

Post by Vilkacis »

Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Vilkacis wrote: Dragons - I think so, or at least they did. There're just too many accounts of separate cultures coming up with the same story. But I have doubts as to whether they could fly or had wings. Chances are they didn't breathe fire either. I imagine that the stories have become highly exaggerated over time.

Chimera - Nope.
:lol: vulture-whales! of course, the vulture legs are so monstrously undersized in that picture... a vulture omnimech is about 8 meters tall...

unless it's a blue whale. then...

And as for cultures... as I recall, the east asians had dragons.. who else did?
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vilkacis wrote:
Zombies - Not of the undead, brain-feasting, constantly decaying type. That's just silly. Even Frankenstein was really pushing things. I think the closest thing we have to zombies are people who die and are resucitated. After a certain amount of time, the flesh just deteriorates too much for it to be possible.

-- Vilkacis
You're also forgetting those people who have had the misfortune to stand in line at the DMV for over 10 hours.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Shadowblaze wrote:And as for cultures... as I recall, the east asians had dragons.. who else did?
As you mentioned, the East Asians had stories about dragons. The Chinese held dragons in great respect and associated them with prosperity and rivers. The Vietnamese have tales and legends of winged, fire-spitting dragons (and that they are descendents of the Dragon King). The Japanese and Korean dragons were very similar to the Chinese dragon (apparently, the number of toes is significant). India has legends of dragons associated with water and weather. Indonesian dragons are associated with earth more than water.

There are a lot of East Asian myths, but quite a few others as well. Dragons were feared around the time of Columbus; it was common belief that there were dragons in the ocean. There's a story (I haven't read it) of Perseus and the Dragon of Poseidon. King Arthur had dreams about dragons. There's always St. George and the dragon. There's a Norwegian story about a king, his daughter and a dragon (and a man from Sweden). There were a lot of English dragons. Rome used dragons as a symbol of strength. Even the Bible describes what might be called a dragon (all of Job 41, but specifically, verses 12-24).

I'm sure there are dozons and dozons more that I have missed.

-- Vilkacis
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Apokryltaros wrote:You're also forgetting those people who have had the misfortune to stand in line at the DMV for over 10 hours.
Ugh! I'd be ready to tear someone's arms off and eat their brains too, if I had to wait that long.

-- Vilkacis
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

Vilkacis wrote: Dragons were feared around the time of Columbus; it was common belief that there were dragons in the ocean. There's a story (I haven't read it) of Perseus and the Dragon of Poseidon.
-- Vilkacis
That would be the monster Cetus, whose corpse became the constellation "Cetus," also.
It wasn't said that Cetus was a sea dragon, per se, though it was often portrayed as such.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

:oops: I hope you know that the dragon myth probably oriningted around east asia, went into inddia, indonesia, and the surriouning areas... and was probably carried to europe with traders. besides, it orgiginated in east asia, right? ARe there any caes of american( N and S) dragon myths?
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Shadowblaze wrote::oops: I hope you know that the dragon myth probably oriningted around east asia, went into inddia, indonesia, and the surriouning areas... and was probably carried to europe with traders. besides, it orgiginated in east asia, right? ARe there any caes of american( N and S) dragon myths?
I couldn't say, really. I'll do some research later when I have time... But I do think there were some from Africa as well.

But in any case, I do realize that if there was something that we might term as a dragon, it would probably be nothing like the myths and legends we're familiar with.

-- Vilkacis
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

-Calculon
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Apokryltaros wrote:Also, where does it say that pixies do not have wings?
Furthermore, aren't pixies a kind of fae?
Pixies well...I'm just going by what it says in my books, if I'm wrong don't blame me. Alot of people will say that pixies are a kind of faerie but according to this they aren't. Faeries and pixies were never my speciality. Can't say I know any either. (well there was that one but I've never seen the guy since)
Apokryltaros wrote:Quetzalcoatl is not from South America, he's from Mexico. Quetzalcoatl was the legendary priest-king of the Toltecs who was later deified by the Aztecs, and the feathered serpent was Quetzalcoatl's totem-beast, actually, a combination of the quetzal trogon, and of the serpent, combining the best of land, water, and air.
The Rainbow Serpent did more than just bring rain for the Australian Aborigines, he is credited with creating the World.
As for the fire-breathing cobra protector, I think you're thinking of the Egyptian cobra goddess Buto, patron of Lower Egypt. She and the vulture goddess Nekhbet made the uraeus of the Pharoah, and protected him, as he was the sovereign of Egypt.
Eh...I can't keep everyone straight. My memory is awful so...yeah. I have a heck of a time keeping track of the ones I can actually remember the names of.