New members.

Welcome to "The Pack" forum! Come tell us about yourself!!
Rogue_A
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Der amerikanische Steppenwolf

Post by Rogue_A »

どうぞよるしく、ダニエルさん。 私はマラヤです。私もワーウルフが大好きです。しゅしんはどこですか。

Katakana is such a pain sometimes. At first I thought you said "waffle" instead of "werewolf". I guess I'm hungry right now. lck

Well, I used to enjoy school, but lately in high school, it's kinda gotten boring. Art class and Japanese class is really the only reason I go to school anymore. Although lately even art class is boring me....because well, there's only many landscapes or perspective drawings I can do before I become absolutely bored with it.

As for math class....well....I was never good at math period. English is my thing. And I have math first period. Talk about the wrong subject to wake up to. X_x

I'm not too much of a fan of Inuyasha. Naruto fan though. And Wolf's Rain of course. I got kinda bored of anime/manga sometime last year because it started sounding all the same. And I'm the president of my school's Japanese Club...and aside from video games and cooking, they only want to watch anime. *sigh.*
Last edited by Rogue_A on Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other."-Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:Man, I wish I understood Japanese. There is some Anime DVDs that has the Japanese track in 5.1 surround while the English is in 2.0

5.1 sounds so much better on my home theater setup.
Spoken Japanese is so much harder for me to understand than written. With written Japanese, the kanji really help and I have all the time in the world to figure something out. With spoken Japanese, your understanding has to be immediate, and I'm just not that fluent. Not to mention, I don't have much experience at acutally hearing the language. I would be totally lost.

So, yeah, I wish I understood Japanese too :lol:

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:Man, I wish I understood Japanese. There is some Anime DVDs that has the Japanese track in 5.1 surround while the English is in 2.0

5.1 sounds so much better on my home theater setup.
Spoken Japanese is so much harder for me to understand than written. With written Japanese, the kanji really help and I have all the time in the world to figure something out. With spoken Japanese, your understanding has to be immediate, and I'm just not that fluent. Not to mention, I don't have much experience at acutally hearing the language. I would be totally lost.

So, yeah, I wish I understood Japanese too :lol:

-- Vilkacis
Heh, I was thinking you knew how to read, write, and speak the language.

I know one thing, I'm glad the anime DVD has English subtitles. No need to watch it if you can't understand what they are saying.
Rogue_A
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rogue_A »

Of course, on some DVDs, they just yank the English translation and stick that as the subtitles for the Japanese version. I get a real kick when something completely different is being said in Japanese than compared to the subtitles. >_>

But....I'm not fluent either yet. Turn on like....a Japanese weather report or give me a Japanese newspaper, and I will scream. The newspaper especially. No teeny hiragana (furigana) above the kanji, and I haven't memorized the radicals of Kanji yet so I can look it up in the dictionary that way. ??
"In fear I hurried this way and that. I had the taste of blood and chocolate in my mouth, the one as hateful as the other."-Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Rogue_A wrote:Of course, on some DVDs, they just yank the English translation and stick that as the subtitles for the Japanese version. I get a real kick when something completely different is being said in Japanese than compared to the subtitles. >_>

I remember this one Bugs Bunny cartoon where he welcomed two guys that was stranded on that island.

You hear Bugs Bunny talking in a different langauge. He said quite a mouth full. The subtitle just says..."Whats up doc."

Next he says something very short in that same language. The subtitles had a big paragraph in english.

One of the men says, "Gee, thanks." At the same time, you can see the different language as the subtitle. The other guy points to the subtitle and says..."Did you say that?"

Man, that was a funny cartoon!!
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Rogue_A wrote:どうぞよるしく、ダニエルさん。 私はマラヤです。私もワーウルフが大好きです。しゅしんはどこですか。
しゅっしんはタコマです。シアトルのとなりです。あなたは?
Rogue_A wrote:Katakana is such a pain sometimes.
I agree!
Rogue_A wrote:At first I thought you said "waffle" instead of "werewolf". I guess I'm hungry right now. lck
I do like waffles, too.
Rogue_A wrote:Although lately even art class is boring me....because well, there's only many landscapes or perspective drawings I can do before I become absolutely bored with it.
I know what you mean. I've taken only a few art classes, and one thing I found was that they didn't teach me anything. They kind of assumed we already knew. Luckily, I have always been the kind of person who prefers to learn on my own, anyway.
Rogue_A wrote:As for math class....well....I was never good at math period. English is my thing. And I have math first period. Talk about the wrong subject to wake up to. X_x
Heh ^_^

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Rogue_A wrote:どうぞよるしく、ダニエルさん。 私はマラヤです。私もワーウルフが大好きです。しゅしんはどこですか。
しゅっしんはタコマです。シアトルのとなりです。あなたは?

Oh, how nice. I have no idea whats being said. :?

Even with babelfish, I still have no idea!! ??
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Rogue_A wrote:Of course, on some DVDs, they just yank the English translation and stick that as the subtitles for the Japanese version. I get a real kick when something completely different is being said in Japanese than compared to the subtitles. >_>
I know. Last quarter I was watching Samurai Champloo with some friends, and I couldn't help but notice that the subtitles were significantly more polite than in the original Japanese. But they still did a decent job translating it, anyway. For the most part, I don't like watching dubbed anime because they do such a poor job with it. But there have been some notable exceptions. Even though the translation teams took a fair number of liberties, I really enjoyed, for example, Spirited Away and Lupin III.
Rogue_A wrote:But....I'm not fluent either yet. Turn on like....a Japanese weather report or give me a Japanese newspaper, and I will scream. The newspaper especially. No teeny hiragana (furigana) above the kanji, and I haven't memorized the radicals of Kanji yet so I can look it up in the dictionary that way. ??
I wouldn't even know where to begin with the newspaper, but most of what I read is online, so I use an online Japanese <-> English dictionary. At my stage of learning, furigana are very important. I can sometimes get the gist of the sentence if I recognize most of the kanji, but my biggest weakness is the vocabulary. And I won't learn more vocabulary if I don't know how to pronounce the word. Likewise, I have difficulty learning from anime because I don't have any kanji to tie the words to.

-- Vilkacis
Rogue_A
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rogue_A »

>_>
Babelfish's translations for Japanese....ehhhhh.....they're not that great. For example: What I wrote translates as:

It depends please and the く, Daniel. I am マラヤ. Me we love ワーウルフ. Is the palpus っ grommet where?

:lol:

No, actually, I was saying that it was nice to meet him, my name, I also like werewolves, and where was his "hometown" (although I spelled shuushin wrong apparently.....spring break has numbed my mind a bit.), aka where he lives in WA state.

しゅっしんはスポカンです。

*Points to location bar for all English-only speakers for the translation of what I had just said.*

Ooh,and the bad thing about my hometown's name, is that it can be spelled as either スポカン or スポカネ....I've heard it go either way....*sigh.*
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Rogue_A wrote:>_>
Babelfish's translations for Japanese....ehhhhh.....they're not that great. For example: What I wrote translates as:

It depends please and the く, Daniel. I am マラヤ. Me we love ワーウルフ. Is the palpus っ grommet where?

Babelfish is usless. I wouldn't trust it even if it had "werewolf to english!!"
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Rogue_A wrote:しゅっしんはスポカンです。
Bah, here I asked you where you were from, and it said it right there below your name!
:(

-- Vilkacis
Rogue_A
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rogue_A »

*shrugs* Like Spokane is a very important place to come from anyways. :oops:

Overall, most translators stink when it comes to Japanese to English, unless humans, more specifically people fluent in English, translate it. But I really wouldn't have it any other way. Then there wouldn't be any Engrish for us to laugh at. :D
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Rogue_A wrote: Then there wouldn't be any Engrish for us to laugh at. :D
Heh, thats a good place for a laugh. I know they laugh at some of the words we use. I'm not sure what words it may be.
Arania
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Arania »

*grins* Yay, more Japanese speakers ^_^. I took 2 years of it at college, but unfortunatley they didn't have any more...

Watashi wa katakana no puroguramme ga arimasen desu. Demo, anatatachi no hiragana ga wakarimasu. Watashi no shuushin wa Koreji Suteishin desu. Katakana ga kirai.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Arania wrote:*grins* Yay, more Japanese speakers ^_^. I took 2 years of it at college, but unfortunatley they didn't have any more...

Watashi wa katakana no puroguramme ga arimasen desu. Demo, anatatachi no hiragana ga wakarimasu. Watashi no shuushin wa Koreji Suteishin desu. Katakana ga kirai.
Heh, I'm afriad to put that in babelfish. No telling what it will turn out. :D
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Arania wrote:*grins* Yay, more Japanese speakers ^_^. I took 2 years of it at college, but unfortunatley they didn't have any more...
Yeah, that sucks. My high school had only Spanish and French, and, later, my Community College only had Spanish and German. And, oddly enough, I don't think there are any foreign language classes at all here at the University of Washington, in Tacoma. I know the main campus in Seattle has a Japanese course, but I don't really have the option of taking it.
:(

I have taken a bit of Spanish, though.
Arania wrote:Watashi wa katakana no puroguramme ga arimasen desu. Demo, anatatachi no hiragana ga wakarimasu. Watashi no shuushin wa Koreji Suteishin desu. Katakana ga kirai.
Ah. Well, here's a transcript of what we said, so you can see what the katakana was:

Vilkacis: Hajimemashite. DANIERU desu. Douzo yoroshiku. WA-URUFU ya ookami ga daisuki desu.
Rogue_A: Douzo yoroshiku, DANIERU-san. Watashi wa MARAYA desu. Watashi mo WA-URUFU ga daisuki desu. Shushin wa doko desu ka?
Vilkacis: Shusshin wa TAKOMA desu. SHIATORU no tonari desu. Anata wa?
Rogue_A: Shusshin wa SUPOKAN desu.

I've never heard of being able to display the hiragana but not the katakana, before ^_^;

Anyway, we've probably gotten off-topic enough with all of our Japanese-speak (even though the content was on-topic). I'd hate to think someone dropped by and then left because they had no idea what everyone was talking about
??

-- Vilkacis
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

*stares at Japanese Words, recognizes like, one or two, then gives up*

Eer...anyways....

WELCOME! to the new members. :D

Meh, i couldn't learn Japanese, i couldn't even learn french.

Hell, all i rember from french is how to say "Im hungry" "Werewolf" "wolf" and i think.. "Im thirsty"

Yeah, if i even get lost in france im so screwed....

Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Aki wrote:*stares at Japanese Words, recognizes like, one or two, then gives up*

Eer...anyways....

WELCOME! to the new members. :D

Meh, i couldn't learn Japanese, i couldn't even learn french.

Hell, all i rember from french is how to say "Im hungry" "Werewolf" "wolf" and i think.. "Im thirsty"

Yeah, if i even get lost in france im so screwed....

At least you won't be hungry or thirsty!! :lol:
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Indeed, i'd be unable to find a bathroom though. Can't ask anyone. :lol:
NightStorm
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightStorm »

Long time on howl. Been busy with school and stuff ^^ it's good to be back hwlwnk
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

NightStorm wrote:Long time on howl. Been busy with school and stuff ^^ it's good to be back hwlwnk

Long time on howl?

Ummm...its..."Long time no howl"

Or......me howl long time!!! :howl:  :oo :lol:

Welcome back.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Welcome back. ^-^
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

Yah, welcome. :duckie
Beastofgaia
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

a new challenger is coming^^

Post by Beastofgaia »

Arouuuuuuuuuuuuuu to everybody^^

a new Werewolf is coming to adress you her salutation...

"i'm Beastofgaia, of the tribe of the Wendigo... i whas gibeous moon and brother of heart rank... i'm coming in peace... "

looking the gathering...

"my name is for my brother of blood "Beastofgaia"... i was called like that because i was near of the wolf thinking...

i love run into the forest and sleep on a stone with the stars shining over my head...

i love the furry art, the wolf and husky... i enjoy make love and meet fan of the werewolf like me..."

i made myself a suit of wolf to the fun...

my suit...

"i draw all the time in this style of pictures..."

a picture of the Chief of my pack...

my wereside...

"i love the feeling of the fresh night when Luna is full in the sky... i enjoy read wolf book, play roles playing games like WWA..."
- She the Mother of all things... we are her sons and she take care of our live... I will howl this night in order to open my heart to her...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Aki »

Welcome Beastofgaia to The Pack!

:howl: