Implants

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Implants

Post by Set »

Did we have a topic on this already? I don't remember.

What happens to any implants a person has when they transform? I think having a metal knee, plate in your head, pacemaker, or even fake boobs would cause more than a few problems for a werewolf. Maybe even kill them, depending on what it is and where in the body it's located.
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

I do think we do....

Post by RedEye »

As I recall: the opinions were of the "Dead" type. Humans don't do well with Implants in easier, less stressful cases...such a simple car crashes.
You would see massive rejection...possibly explosive in magnitude.
These people ought to carry some sort of Identification...Imagine what the poor Were' would feel, having that happen to a "new packmate". :cry:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Silicon implants would be near-fatal to fatal. Let's say the body semi-combusts into 100-180 degree fahrenheit body temperature. Maybe the silicon might become thin and then suddenly rupture. Uh-oh.

And those people with steel nails on their backs for anyone suffering back problems, that could be a pretty painful thing, could probably even paralyze the shiftee waist down in mid-trans.

But if the shiftee is lucky, the implants might just change places and/or become slightly altered. If.
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: You guys want some cookIES!?

Post by 23Jarden »

wow. That would be a pretty mishapen creature. What about breast implants? hmm. Well, the general opinion here seems to be that as the creature gets bigger, its breasts get bigger, too, but they get muscle-y so it doesn't look it. Then the implant would've been made for a smaller body. So, it would be like a blister on its chest? Not like like a blister. Just the shape. Wow that could cause some complications. Now imagine that with other sorts of impants. Guess you should have your implants removed before you shift. :P
"There are no stupid questions. However, there are many inquistive idiots."
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

If the lycanthropy is mystical in nature, I would imagine that this problem could be bypassed, and the implants would either be altered or destroyed and ejected durring the TF.

...otherwise...I cant see that ending well at all.

Deformity...mutilation and pain...and/or DEATH, most likely.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Metal plates, pipes, and other stuff will cause problems ofcourse. Small stuff like fake boobs shouldn't be too much problem I think.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Morkulv wrote:Metal plates, pipes, and other stuff will cause problems ofcourse. Small stuff like fake boobs shouldn't be too much problem I think.
Fake boobs are rarely Small stuff. If they're Silicone bags with fluid in them, they'd maybe mash down...a bit. If they;re the "Light weight" base lifters (think small hubcaps under the Pectoral muscles)...they would be.....rather obvious.

Packmates might notice...... :lol:
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

KISS answer:
wouldn't end nicely
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Post by Syzygy »

Aren't many plastic surgeons converting to saline implants because of the risk that silicone imposes?
Eat more tobasco.
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary

Post by 23Jarden »

What happens if silicone is released within the body?
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

23Jarden wrote:What happens if silicone is released within the body?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_imp ... l_implants
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
23Jarden
Legendary
Legendary

Post by 23Jarden »

Yikes. That sounds like it hurts.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

23Jarden wrote:Yikes. That sounds like it hurts.
Having any sac, artificial or natural, burst inside of you hurts.
It just depends on when, how long, how much, and will it kill you sooner or later.
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

RedEye wrote:
Morkulv wrote:Metal plates, pipes, and other stuff will cause problems ofcourse. Small stuff like fake boobs shouldn't be too much problem I think.
Fake boobs are rarely Small stuff. If they're Silicone bags with fluid in them, they'd maybe mash down...a bit. If they;re the "Light weight" base lifters (think small hubcaps under the Pectoral muscles)...they would be.....rather obvious.

Packmates might notice...... :lol:
Yeah, ofcourse it will be a mess, but I think a person is likely to survive that then metal-plates, and stuff like that.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Apokryltaros »

But the question then becomes "Would a werewolf want to survive after having popped her own boobs?"
-Calculon
RedEye

Actually...

Post by RedEye »

Base Lifters, or "Hubcaps" are the things used in place of Saline or Silicone bags...they are semi-rigid, and unlike the bags, they don't locate in the Pectoral tissues, they are Under the Pectoral group of muscles against the Ribcage.
They supposedly allow for a "more natural look" since all the Muscles and fat that make up the breast are un-interfered-with. They are just higher up.
The Werewolf Fem that had this done in her Smooth form would have what looked like small, cone-shaped, rigid breasts... as obvious as a Werewolf shifting in a crowded Elevator.
Poor grrrl; :wink:
Syzygy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wergild Collector

Re: Actually...

Post by Syzygy »

RedEye wrote:Base Lifters, or "Hubcaps" are the things used in place of Saline or Silicone bags...they are semi-rigid, and unlike the bags, they don't locate in the Pectoral tissues, they are Under the Pectoral group of muscles against the Ribcage.
Wouldn't that stretch the pectoral muscles and completely bugger them up?
Eat more tobasco.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Apokryltaros wrote:But the question then becomes "Would a werewolf want to survive after having popped her own boobs?"
The best reason for a female werewolf to survive is to sue her plastic surgeon, if you ask me.
Teenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Having the light to lead them...

Post by Teenwolf »

lucky for me to not have an implantat.....till now.... :P
PROUD TO BE A FURRY
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

I would think that, for replacement sorts of implants, the werewolf simply wouldn't need it. Artificial hips or hearts? No, their bodies are going to regenerate that sort of damage, and there's almost no chance of having something like that -- usually attributed to old age -- before they begin shifting.

As for things like boobjobs, well, I agree that it wouldn't end well. But then, you'd also like to think that a young woman not quite into her first shift wouldn't be getting something like that. <.< And that an adult woman, already knowledgeable of the shift, would know better.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

TakeWalker wrote:I would think that, for replacement sorts of implants, the werewolf simply wouldn't need it. Artificial hips or hearts? No, their bodies are going to regenerate that sort of damage, and there's almost no chance of having something like that -- usually attributed to old age -- before they begin shifting.

As for things like boobjobs, well, I agree that it wouldn't end well. But then, you'd also like to think that a young woman not quite into her first shift wouldn't be getting something like that. <.< And that an adult woman, already knowledgeable of the shift, would know better.
I disagree about Lycanthropic regeneration being able to repair damaged/diseased hearts...but that's getting off topic.

Mostly though...I think the idea behind this subject is not the suggestion about whether someone who is allready a Werewolf should get Implants or not...

...but rather, what would happen if a human who allready has such implants in thier body was bitten? ...what would happen to thier body durring thier first shift? ...would it kill and/or mutilate them?
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

If you've had surgical implants, talk to your doctor before

Post by Scott Gardener »

Breast implants:

Silicone (also used as a cosmetic filler in other places, such as lips) can be toxic if leaked out of containment. Most breast implants, however, for that reason, are simply inflated bags of saline instead. Saline is harmless; in fact, it's the same stuff given as an IV fluid for treating dehydration. It's just salt water with the right concentration. Breast implants are usually planted below the mammary glands but above the muscle layers, so muscles stretching likely wouldn't rip through them, though they still could, depending on your idea of werewolf physiology, be rejected. If ruptured, the saline would be absorbed by the body, leaving in place a deflated inert bag that in non-werewolves is generally surrounded by scar tissue.

Orthopedic hardware:

If your werewolves regenerate--and, let's face it, most of ours do, since that's such a convenient bonus and one easy to explain--then the bone that was removed to put the hardware in place will want to grow back, pushing out the hardware. In someone who had just a few screws to fix a broken bone, they'll pop out--painful, but, hey, you're already hurting like **** shifting, anyway. But, if you've had a lumbar or cervical fusion with a metal plate next to the spine, then you've got a much more serious problem. If you're lucky, the metal will tear loose and float. If you've had a more complex fixture, such as a cage of both anterior and posterior plates screwed together, the shifting process could be paralyzing if in the low back, or lethal if in the neck.

Any orthopedic hardware in a rapidly shifting joint space also poses risk of damage to nerves or blood vessels--the latter leading to internal bleeding. If it happens in the back or neck, it could be lethal.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
TakeWalker
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The big one-one

Post by TakeWalker »

Vuldari wrote:Mostly though...I think the idea behind this subject is not the suggestion about whether someone who is allready a Werewolf should get Implants or not...

...but rather, what would happen if a human who allready has such implants in thier body was bitten? ...what would happen to thier body durring thier first shift? ...would it kill and/or mutilate them?
Ohyeah. I forgot that part.

Well, I think we've already got an answer there. 'Splodey.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Well then I think the werewolves who bite have to have a tough screening process so that it doesnt happen.

And I cant imagine a werewolf getting breast implants. If someone tells her she is small chested, she can just tear them apart! Breast implants are generally for self esteem. Can you imagine being that strong and that fast and that powerful and worrying about what your human form loooks like to other humans? :wink:

Werewolves are also earth creatures...I dont think they'd be superficial enough to get breast implants. As for implants from surgeries...I agree that their healing powers would prevent the need of them.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Roodhoor
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Roodhoor »

Many of the above listed things would apply to me, if we talked about born werewolves.
But , as Vukldari already mentioned, what happens to the bitten ones?

I imagine, they would have to endure endless pain if there's anything implanted during their first shift. (or, to say so, even more pain)
If they can survive, I don't know and would say that it depends.
If they survive however, i see them sort of "pressing it out" during the shift.
The implant will be removed (as the whole structure changes) and the body tries to get rid of it...(*phlumb* *phlumb* ..So much for the boobs..)
As for me, the ability to regenerate for werewolves is incredibly, it would be possible for a Werewolv to survive it.
Eala Frya Fresena!
Lever dood as slaav.