Lord of War

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Lord of War

Post by Fenrir »

This film sorta reminded me of Shadow Wulf
http://movies.aol.com/movie/main.adp?mid=22684

Has anybody seen it yet?
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

oh yeah ive heard of that movies, looks like its going to be a pretty good one. :)
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

I know Popcorn Hollywood has been desperate for ideas as of late, but it pains me that they'd stoop to glorify the arms trade.

I have to know, do they at least make fun of the president?
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Terastas wrote:I know Popcorn Hollywood has been desperate for ideas as of late, but it pains me that they'd stoop to glorify the arms trade.

I have to know, do they at least make fun of the president?

At first, they definitely glorify the arms trade. But, as the film progresses, they show the horribly negative side of being an arms trader, and the effects it has on people who are the victims of the people who buy the guns from the trader. The film is based on actual events, so it's not really a glorification. In fact, it almost seems to have a message at the end. I thought this movie was really good, but it made me feel...bad.

Which president are you referring to, the U.S. president or the President of Liberia?
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Didn't they do(make fun of) both? of course it's like set in the past twenty some odd years so they might have made fun of a bunch.
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

Excelsia wrote:At first, they definitely glorify the arms trade. But, as the film progresses, they show the horribly negative side of being an arms trader, and the effects it has on people who are the victims of the people who buy the guns from the trader. The film is based on actual events, so it's not really a glorification. In fact, it almost seems to have a message at the end. I thought this movie was really good, but it made me feel...bad.
So basically, everything that looks cool in the beginning all comes back to haunt Nicholas Cage in the end? That sounds decent enough.
Which president are you referring to, the U.S. president or the President of Liberia?
The U.S. One of the big speculations about both the Persian Gulf and Persian Gulf 2 was that one of their reasons for starting their respective wars was so their sponsors in the industry could be granted arms contracts. That's really what I thought would make or break the movie's credibility; slamming the current regime is always a bold move (especially a regime that's moving against Freedom of Speech), but in a movie all about the arms trade, not mentioning their influence in American politics would be unforgivable.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Terastas wrote: but in a movie all about the arms trade, not mentioning their influence in American politics would be unforgivable.
Oh it mentions it. Towards the end. Though not in the sense you're thinking of. It slams presidencies as a whole, thought not any particular one. I think you'll like it. :D
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Fenrir wrote:Didn't they do(make fun of) both? of course it's like set in the past twenty some odd years so they might have made fun of a bunch.
I wouldn't say that it made fun of anybody. The president of Liberia is a major plot driving force, and the U.S. presidency plays a small but important part towards the end, though we never actually see a president.
forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Present of Darkness

Post by forsaken_wolf »

I found it a good movie yet bad movie but I guess today I was watching Mtv something whatever that show is, well you know when nicholas's brother goes with him to someplaces to sell guns well anyways I just found out he's the lead singer or something on the band "30 Seconds to Mars" you know Orlov's brother and I was like well thats was surprising :o and now I want to check out more of there music so thats it :lol:
"lolis"
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

i liked it. a twisted satire. I didn't think it glorified the arms trade. But i suppose thats after watching the whole movie...
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Saw it. Its funny, but nothing special. It was getting kinda boring during 75% of the movie.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Cause your not the kind of person that looks life as political as some people do such as me. I thought the movie was great! It was one of the best in my list cause of all the truth it speaks.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Well, I do enjoy such movies. But its just nothing special to me. I just saw concepts like this before in a movie.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Ink
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: A Fledgling Shovelbum - Pack Archaeologist & Cultural Anthropologist!

Post by Ink »

Saw it and loved it.

Cynical, dark, realistic, exciting, crazy, and smart. Though, like some of the critics claimed it to be... think of watching a really long teaser to a better movie - that really might what this might come off as.

I really liked it though... simply because it was funny to all of us who are mean, cruel, spiteful and are definately going to hell because we find this beautifully humorous.
forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by forsaken_wolf »

okay this will be weird but what is that song called at the starting of the movie when them bullets are being made in that factory
"lolis"
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Buffalo Springfield- Stop Children whats that sound.

I have the song and I can send it to you if you want.
Image Image
forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by forsaken_wolf »

allright then
"lolis"
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

In my area that got a PG14 rating when it should have been R! :x
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

Fang wrote:In my area that got a PG14 rating when it should have been R! :x
don't you mean pg 13?
And it was rated R
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

Not up here in Canada. PG14 that's what it was at the theater and in the local papers (Saint John N.B., Canada's San Fransisco, but less fun)
We have several ratings G,PG,PG13,PG14,AA,and R.
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Fang wrote:PG13,PG14
What's the difference?
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »