The Future of The Pack - IMPORTANT

The place to discuss things relating specifically to The Pack
Silverfang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Silverfang »

Well it was good while it lasted , ABrownrigg, you've done a superb job in getting this place up and running, I was here when the board bearly had 100 members, and now its probably about 3000 :hsup

I'd help out but being in the UK kinda means i'm not much help :P :oops: Aw well i'm still chuffed to bits that i've been in this from almost the start and that my opinion counted towards something BIGGER

Awaiting the release with bated breath now :D

:wink: :D :D
*When you're down... howl*
Apokryltaros
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Imperial Weirdo And Insect Expert

Post by Apokryltaros »

ABrownrigg wrote:I'm a little under the weather right now so I migth not be thinking clearly. But hey, Dammnit, I'm just a country doctor jam..er, Jim.

Whats that kenny rodgers song? hmmm hmm you got to know when to hold em.. know when to fold em... know when to walk away, know when to run.... dunm de dumn dumn... you never count your money.. when you're sitttn at the table.... there'l be time enough for countin.. when the dealins.. doneeeeee..... whooo hoooooo..

oops, time for my meds.

sincerely,

Jane Austin
*puts on hypnotist costume*
Next, you will be a famous author...
You shall be Emily Dickinson!
ABrownrigg wrote:Look at me, I'm Angie Dickinson! Out of my way!
"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"
-Calculon
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

I know Goldenwolf has been through allot. People calling her bad names, saying her art sucks, ETC. I know what its like to be a werewolf fan. I can't stand it when you tell someone you're a fan and they start making fun of you. I've been there. In fact, I think we all had our share.

Your intent was to bring in werewolf fans and ask them what they wanted in a werewolf movie. They wanted tails, no climbing the walls, ETC. I joined to voice my opinion as well. Then this forum has escalated into something big. Something you wasn't expecting. You said you was expecting maybe 50 hits or less. This place didn't become BIG because of "werewolf experts." It became BIG because of the fans. (The fans out number the experts.) The number could be allot higher if every single werewolf fan on this planet joined. But they have thier reasons not to. They have busy lives, simply don't care, or they havn't found this neck of the woods yet.

As for leadership, I didn't expect to be appointed as one. I was honored to be recommended. But its a big responsibility. Something I have no experience in. Sure, I spend allot of time in this forum. Thats because work is slow. When work picks up, I won't be able to spend as much time on this forum. Maybe I should've kept hidden in the shadows. Thats what I normally do when I'm new to a forum.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Figarou wrote:Well, I'm a truck driver. I'm very skilled at that. :D
You're also very skilled at undervaluing yourself.

:lol:

But seriously, of all the people I have met here, you have been the most friendly. You have been the only one to contact me, just to make sure I hadn't taken something you said the wrong way, or to talk about something (such as wolf edits ^_^). You and Rogue_A have been the only two who have actually talked to me.

I'm telling you, a formal education and technical skills are nothing compared to the traits you have shown. You have been kind. You have been considerate. You have been friendly. And I could point to many an educated idiot who could never learn how to be any of those.

There's a good reason why so many have showed so much support in this thread, even if you can't see it.

So I say: stop being so hard on yourself!
Figarou wrote:I know Goldenwolf has been through allot. People calling her bad names, saying her art sucks, ETC.
There are a lot of petty, stupid people out there. I've seen Goldenwolf's art, and it is anything but bad.

Who am I to offer advice? I don't know the whole situation. But I think that Goldenwolf shouldn't be too concerned with what these people are saying and continue to do what she loves.
Figarou wrote:Maybe I should've kept hidden in the shadows.
I can't speak for others, but I think most would agree when I say that is the last thing I would want!

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Figarou wrote:Well, I'm a truck driver. I'm very skilled at that. :D
You're also very skilled at undervaluing yourself.

But seriously, of all the people I have met here, you have been the most friendly. You have been the only one to contact me, just to make sure I hadn't taken something you said the wrong way, or to talk about something (such as wolf edits ^_^). You and Rogue_A have been the only two who have actually talked to me.

I'm telling you, a formal education and technical skills are nothing compared to the traits you have shown. You have been kind. You have been considerate. You have been friendly. And I could point to many an educated idiot who could never learn how to be any of those.

There's a good reason why so many have showed so much support in this thread, even if you can't see it.

So I say: stop being so hard on yourself!

-- Vilkacis

Yes, I'm the friendly wolf. I'll walk up wagging my tail. :D

I've met lots of people because of that. I don't know why, but I place others 1st before me. I look up to them and in return, they look up to me. :D
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Seems to me that the message board is pretty self sufficient, so anybody with a cool head whom is on good terms with the majority of the packmembers should do just fine.
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

WolvenOne wrote:Seems to me that the message board is pretty self sufficient, so anybody with a cool head whom is on good terms with the majority of the packmembers should do just fine.
*nods* As Freeborn gets more publicity, so will the Pack, which could potentially attract the same kind of people that reguarly flame Goldenwolf (which I would personally take as a complement Goldy -- it means your website is so popular among werewolf fans that the losers from the pro-flaming websites like $omAwf and PoE know how to find it). But yes, apart from those freakin' auto-registration spam-bots, the Pack is pretty self-sufficient at the moment; there aren't that many forum attendants that I wouldn't trust. We just need a mod or two on call for when the spammers/flamers do arive.
SGrayWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by SGrayWolf »

Well, I am knowledgable regarding computers, however, my web programming skills are poorly lacking.

Leaderwise? Doubtful as I'm a laid back, shy and reserved individual.

I'm pretty limited in access to the internet during the day, after 10pm EST is when I'm usually around. I also have a job so that factors in my free time as well.

The financial aspect like sending donations to the wolf reservations and such? It's slimly possible I could manage doing that but until I know what is all involved, I'll hold off on a definate yes or no. I realize that that area holds alot of monetary responsibility and the individual taking that position needs to be very trustworthy and honest. I feel I am a honest individual but that is not up to me to decide.
Goldenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Yes, -that- Goldenwolf

Post by Goldenwolf »

Ooo, arf, I hope you didn't think I was biting at you with my other post Fig. That definetly was NOT my intention. :( I was just expressing my opinion/concern about having good, strong leaders here. I was NOT saying you wouldn't make one, I was only saying that the criteria that was brought up (post count) sounded somewhat sketchy to me. Ah, the internet and it's ability to totaly misconstrue anything you say :P

Also, I was NOT suggesting myself for any sort of position here. No thanks. I've been the mod of far too many boards and chats and find I really don't handle being the moderator of public places very well. I get bitey when I see idiocy and don't hesitate to maul some fur when I think the situation warrants it, and that gets me into trouble. I DO have some strong web design skills, but I don't think I would have the time for it. No, I am happier just sitting back and posting thoughts and opinions from time to time, and maybey doing some "pack" art now and again.

It will be interesting to see how this change of management will pan out.

*crawls back into her hole*
Over 25% of human genes are the same as those of a banana. Get over yourself.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Goldenwolf wrote:Ooo, arf, I hope you didn't think I was biting at you with my other post Fig. That definetly was NOT my intention. :( I was just expressing my opinion/concern about having good, strong leaders here. I was NOT saying you wouldn't make one, I was only saying that the criteria that was brought up (post count) sounded somewhat sketchy to me. Ah, the internet and it's ability to totaly misconstrue anything you say :P

Also, I was NOT suggesting myself for any sort of position here. No thanks. I've been the mod of far too many boards and chats and find I really don't handle being the moderator of public places very well. I get bitey when I see idiocy and don't hesitate to maul some fur when I think the situation warrants it, and that gets me into trouble. I DO have some strong web design skills, but I don't think I would have the time for it. No, I am happier just sitting back and posting thoughts and opinions from time to time, and maybey doing some "pack" art now and again.

It will be interesting to see how this change of management will pan out.

*crawls back into her hole*

Ummm...to tell you the truth, I did actually think you was biting at me. I'm sorry to have responded in such a bad manner. It was a slight misunderstanding. I apologize.

I wasn't expecting everyone to appoint me as leader/moderator. I was surprised. :o I'll gladly accept IF its a simple task. So far, everything seems to be running smoothly in this forum. The only problem is spam. But I'll feel a whole lot better if I wasn't the only person doing this sort of thing.

Re: The Future of The Pack - IMPORTANT

Post by Guest »

ABrownrigg wrote: 1. strong abilities in web design, and management.
2. strong political 'putting out fires, and making sure everyone's getting their thoughts in.
3. Strong intellectual. Background in understanding werewolf lore, legends, and the like.
4. Spokesperson abilities. Let's face it, freeborn is going to heavily hit the press with the pack story. Someone has to represent it, or at least be the 'front person'
5. Money management. This is a not-for profit, but it's still going to have to use paypal or the like, and manage the monies to get to wolf park, etc
6. Vision. It's the future.
7. Time. Let's face it. Someone who only gets on once a month, won't be able to keep up.
8. Integrity. ( I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH)
The way I see the split is:

Money/Misc Management
Tech/Web Design Guru
Nice Guy/Gal Eddie (PR)

Of all the people listed for the jobs, all seem to be intellectuals with a keen vested interest in werewolves and a vision for the future. (Points 3 and 6)
All candidates should handle topic questions and other smaller things, but have one person in place to deal with larger issues.
All need to be polite and curteous (Point 2 above) - and have to ask themselves, do I have the time and the energy to give to this project? Can I give it my best shot? Do I have the integrity to succeed?

If yes, great.

The reason I feel this kind of a split of resources would be a good idea is that it would keep the money seperate from the running of the boards, one person would have a lot of creative control on managing the forums, and there would be another to help the newbies, answer important questions, and perhaps promote things further.
All still have a voice and a say.

Good luck to all candidates, I agree with the majority vote that Figarou is a good choice for one of these positions.
Redstorm
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Redstorm »

Aplologies, I posted above. It seemed not to have logged me in.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Vilkacis wrote:Reilune:
I mean no offense at all when I say this: I think the web-design position should probably be filled by someone with more than a limited knowledge of HTML and computer access that is dependent on someone else.
I'm still a better choice than no one at all. So far what people have said here is basically they either don't have any web design skills at all, or don't have the time. All the knowledge in the world won't help if you don't have enough time to dedicate to it. I'm homeschooled, and other than a few assignments a day and negotiating with my mother I have more time than any of you. The site doesn't need to be super-complicated with tons of Java and all that crap. Often simpler designs are the best, and that I can do just as long as I don't have to make graphics fot it as well. I'm not saying I really want to do it, I'm just letting everyone know that if someone better can't be found then everyone can always count on me. There's no need to get all huffy about it.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Reilune wrote:
Vilkacis wrote:Reilune:
I mean no offense at all when I say this: I think the web-design position should probably be filled by someone with more than a limited knowledge of HTML and computer access that is dependent on someone else.
I'm still a better choice than no one at all. So far what people have said here is basically they either don't have any web design skills at all, or don't have the time. All the knowledge in the world won't help if you don't have enough time to dedicate to it. I'm homeschooled, and other than a few assignments a day and negotiating with my mother I have more time than any of you. The site doesn't need to be super-complicated with tons of Java and all that crap. Often simpler designs are the best, and that I can do just as long as I don't have to make graphics fot it as well. I'm not saying I really want to do it, I'm just letting everyone know that if someone better can't be found then everyone can always count on me. There's no need to get all huffy about it.

Well, I see no problem with that. :D

What I'd like to see is a simple web site so even the Webtv users can view it. It doesn't have to be all flashy and complex.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Reilune wrote:There's no need to get all huffy about it.
I wasn't meaning to be huffy, so I apologize if it seemed so. I had already commited to saying something about everyone that had been mentioned, and I was just speaking my mind. I probably could have been a bit more tactful.

Also, you do bring up some good points.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Anonymous wrote:
ABrownrigg wrote: 1. strong abilities in web design, and management.
2. strong political 'putting out fires, and making sure everyone's getting their thoughts in.
3. Strong intellectual. Background in understanding werewolf lore, legends, and the like.
4. Spokesperson abilities. Let's face it, freeborn is going to heavily hit the press with the pack story. Someone has to represent it, or at least be the 'front person'
5. Money management. This is a not-for profit, but it's still going to have to use paypal or the like, and manage the monies to get to wolf park, etc
6. Vision. It's the future.
7. Time. Let's face it. Someone who only gets on once a month, won't be able to keep up.
8. Integrity. ( I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH)
The way I see the split is:

Money/Misc Management
Tech/Web Design Guru
Nice Guy/Gal Eddie (PR)

Of all the people listed for the jobs, all seem to be intellectuals with a keen vested interest in werewolves and a vision for the future. (Points 3 and 6)
All candidates should handle topic questions and other smaller things, but have one person in place to deal with larger issues.
All need to be polite and curteous (Point 2 above) - and have to ask themselves, do I have the time and the energy to give to this project? Can I give it my best shot? Do I have the integrity to succeed?

If yes, great.

The reason I feel this kind of a split of resources would be a good idea is that it would keep the money seperate from the running of the boards, one person would have a lot of creative control on managing the forums, and there would be another to help the newbies, answer important questions, and perhaps promote things further.
All still have a voice and a say.

Good luck to all candidates, I agree with the majority vote that Figarou is a good choice for one of these positions.

You know, I already have web space. I could host the Pack forum. I'm just not sure how much more space I need. I have a total of 800MB. Since I uploaded videos, pictures, ETC. I still have over 400MB of space.

I need to have a better understanding on how to use the features that comes with having your own domain.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Vilkacis wrote:I wasn't meaning to be huffy, so I apologize if it seemed so. I had already commited to saying something about everyone that had been mentioned, and I was just speaking my mind. I probably could have been a bit more tactful.
Hey it's ok. You just...could've worded that better is all. Have a duckie.

:duckie
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Reilune wrote:Have a duckie.

I will keep him for ever and ever, and I will love him and pet him and feed him and hug him, and his name shall be.... Billy!

And we will be the best of friends...forever!

:lol: Image

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Vilkacis wrote:
Reilune wrote:Have a duckie.

I will keep him for ever and ever, and I will love him and pet him and feed him and hug him, and his name shall be.... Billy!

And we will be the best of friends...forever!

:lol: Image

-- Vilkacis

Oh sure. Lock up that duckie, why don'tcha.

*Opens cage* :duckie

:D
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

Da, Vilkacis is rght. The board doesn't need a lot of Java script - because WebTV isn't Java compatible and then I wouldn't be able to use the board.

:)

So, why do we need an expert on Werewolves? I thought that was what this forum was for - to poll the fans and see what they want. I guess the right answer for the purpose of making a movie is "what the fans want." I'm gratified to see that the fans want to see a more positive portrayal of the Werewolf, but stll, if you want the movie to succeed, you don't want an expert's view on the subject - you want the fans' views - or am I wrong?
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

WolfVanZandt wrote:Da, Vilkacis is rght. The board doesn't need a lot of Java script
Actually, Reilune said that.
WolfVanZandt wrote:- because WebTV isn't Java compatible and then I wouldn't be able to use the board.
And Figarou said that.

But, that's not to say I don't agree. Personally, I don't usually like pages with Java / Javascript / Flash. But that doesn't preclude things that are entirely server-side, such as PHP and database stuff. I might mention that this forum would not exist without those.

-- Vilkacis
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

WolfVanZandt wrote:Da, Vilkacis is rght. The board doesn't need a lot of Java script - because WebTV isn't Java compatible and then I wouldn't be able to use the board.

Used to have a Webtv. I know what you are talking about. :wink:
WolfVanZandt wrote:So, why do we need an expert on Werewolves? I thought that was what this forum was for - to poll the fans and see what they want. I guess the right answer for the purpose of making a movie is "what the fans want." I'm gratified to see that the fans want to see a more positive portrayal of the Werewolf, but stll, if you want the movie to succeed, you don't want an expert's view on the subject - you want the fans' views - or am I wrong?

My point exactly.

I snapped at Goldenwolf for saying...
Goldenwolf wrote:There are MANY people on this board who are maybey not so loud but are just as dedicated as Fig and the other high posters but who don't feel the need to post so much. Others who are awesome leaders, designers, and werewolf specialists.

Again, I apologize. But I feel the directors/writers are looking for the werewolf fans input. Not expert advise. If thats the case, why not ask a REAL werewolf. :wink:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

I leave you guys for one moment, and...

Post by Scott Gardener »

Every time I leave for a few days, all heck breaks loose! I just got back from Vegas, and now we're changing moderation and management of the forum?

ABrownrigg:
As much as it thrills me. It also saddnens me to say that it is now politically incorrect for me to be running this forum. It started as mine sure, but it now belongs to you. I need to be taking my place as one of those outside filmmakers that gets your advice. It is important that this site be heard not just by me, but by others in the industry. And having myself placed as the administrator of these boards, is the film industries equilelant of 'insider trading'. I will make a new nic for myself, and take my place among the masses that are sure to follow as this film grows. I would love to say that this wouldn't be the case, but it has already started as I go into negotiations with major players.
Your place here will always be held with regard, even if you're no longer in the near future an official moderator. Just as Bill Gates is no longer CEO of Microsoft, his importance to that company, its history, and its future is pretty well recognized. (If you're a Linux die-hard, please forgive the comparison!)

Vilkacis:
Scott Gardener:
Shadowblaze:
If these two show any kind of interest, I would give them fair consideration.
I appreciate it, but I'm already juggling enough as is, so I'll leave the moderating to people who know what they're doing.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
WolfVanZandt
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolfVanZandt »

LOL

Pardons. I called myself reading the other posts but there was a lot there and I just got in from a motorcycle rally somewhat dehydrated and tired and maybe a little sleep deprived. Just file it under me seconding other's ideas.

I'm going to bed, right now.

Have a g'day mates.
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Re: I leave you guys for one moment, and...

Post by Vilkacis »

Scott Gardener wrote:Your place here will always be held with regard, even if you're no longer in the near future an official moderator. Just as Bill Gates is no longer CEO of Microsoft, his importance to that company, its history, and its future is pretty well recognized. (If you're a Linux die-hard, please forgive the comparison!)
Unlike many Linux people, I, at least, recognize that Microsoft has played a very important role, especially when it comes to making computers usable by everyone. I use Linux because I've found it to be better for me and what I like to do, not because it's somehow better than Windows. Honestly, I don't understand where a lot of the Anti-Microsoft sentiment comes from...
Scott Gardener wrote:Vilkacis:
Scott Gardener:
Shadowblaze:
If these two show any kind of interest, I would give them fair consideration.
I appreciate it, but I'm already juggling enough as is, so I'll leave the moderating to people who know what they're doing.
I understand what you mean. It's not a position I would like to occupy for many reasons.

-- Vilkacis