the size of a werewolf

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Moonstalker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Moonstalker »

PariahPoet wrote:
Moonstalker wrote:I would say that the fat person isn't werewolf. I mean that the fat person loses weight if he/she becomes a werewolf 'cause werewolves are naturally in good condition like wolves and dogs.
I've seen chubby wolves. Wolves can vary in weight just like people do.
Hmm... is this normal with a healthy wolves? I never heard that the wolf would have overweight in the wild.
In darkness I travel
In shadows I walk

Guided by the beast in me...
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

PariahPoet wrote:Shadow- how many wolves have you actually interacted with? I don't know if Lupin has(wouldn't surprise me if he has, he is very knowledgable), but don't believe everything you hear.

Edit- Ok I just looked at that last statement and realized it might come across wrong. I was refering to people who tell you stuff when you're a kid that don't know crap about it. I wasn't saying that Lupin doesn't know what he's talking about.
But isnt it true? Dont wolves usualy have the height of an average human when standing up right.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

centi and denti makes no difference.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Lupin wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
Lupin wrote:[quote]Compared to a 6' 3" Athletic HUMAN, a Wolf is almost puny.
Not really. You have to compare apples with apples If that wolf stood up on his hind legs, he'd be at most 2 feet shorter than the 6' human.[/size]
Stating that the wolf would be two feet shorter than the human is supposed to be an argument Against my suggestion that it would look puny in comparison?
See this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/compassion ... t-1185488/

While the guy is beding down notice how little that guy is bending down to get face to face with the wolf, who is at an angle to the fence and isn't standing straight up either. This is a foot or so to an animal that spends most of its time on four legs. Personally, I would call an animal like that 'large'.
But relatively speaking, in terms of size comparison to ALL animals, and not just domesticated canines, a wolf really is not that large next to a Human, a Lion, a Deer, a Bear or even an Ostrich (a Bird bigger than a Wolf).
And if you compare any of those to a blue whale they become absolutely tiny. The fact that humans and wolves are close to the same size is what makes a wolf a 'large animal'.

There's a reason he's called the 'Big Bad Wolf'.[/quote]
Allright then. So, in your opinion, anything that is big enough to look a human in the eye, (or close to it) is a "LARGE" animal.

Glad we have that Cleared up.

Overall though, regardless of if you compare the sizes of Wolves and Humans to every creature on Earth, inclucing Blue Whales...or if you ignore everything else and only compare the two to each other...the comparison allways will come up the same.

Wolves are, at their Absolute Largest, equal to, or smaller than an average Human, in terms of length/height, mass and volume.

A "Large" human will allways outsize a "Large" wolf.

Therefore, the fact that you like to use the word "large" when referring to the size of a wolf is irrelevant overall.

When combining the features of two animals that are roughly of the same size and scale, but with varying proportions, I simply fail to see how or why the blending of the two would result in a creature that is 50%more - 2X the mass, and volume of either of them normally.

Where the Hell is this 30% height increase above Human AND Wolf comming from?

"Canis15" made a reference to White Wolfs "Werewolf: The Appocolypse". On that, I have this to say...

...in the context of an over-the-top gameworld, where the game makers wanted each of the players to feel like they have the power to crush entire armies of non-supernatural humans under thier feet, it made sense to make thier werewolves HUGE, in order for thier physical might to be fairly equal to the outragious powers the Vampires and other characters had in contrast.

...but outside of any world that does NOT require a werewolves brute strength and size to be sufficient to equalize them against Comet-sized fireballs, or tanks being flung at them by demons with telekenetic powers, the "LOGIC" that a werewolf would be considerably BIGGER than either a Human or a Wolf simply ...does...not...exist.

IMHO.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

Shadow Wulf wrote:centi and denti makes no difference.
its actully deci
and they do make a differnece!
deci=.1 meters
centi=.01 meters
so 10 centimeters is one deci
so it does make a difference
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Vuldari wrote:
Renorei wrote:Werewolves aren't just about changing into a wolfish creature. It's about releasing a beastlyness within. It's about bringing all those primal instincts and emotions deep inside yourself into a body that's worthy of housing them...and some lame, very-little-mass-or-height-gaining "werewolf" just doesn't cut it...that's not a lot better than being human. That's boring and anticlimactic and doesn't hold a candle to what a werewolf should be.
So do you then believe that Ferral Wolves have bodies that are "lame" and UnWorthy of the wild spirits contained within them?

...because no Wolf in the world stands 9-feet tall on it's hind legs, or weighs 400 pounds...

In fact...on average, most Adult wolves weigh about as much as I do (120 pounds) between 40 and 175 at the most.
Source: California Wolf Center
The size of wolves is irrelevant. Also, the 'spirits' in wolves are irrelevant as well. It's the primal, untamed, animalistic spirit in humans that goes unnoticed or supressed.

Vuldari wrote: When combining the features of two animals that are roughly of the same size and scale, but with varying proportions, I simply fail to see how or why the blending of the two would result in a creature that is 50%more - 2X the mass, and volume of either of them normally.

The Freeborn werewolves appear to be magic-based, not science-based, so it's quite possible.

Even if it were based more in science than magic, it's still not an outlandish idea. I'm sure you've heard of Ligers. Ligers are hybrids between lions and tigers. They are way bigger than the average lion or tiger.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

LoyalReaperDragon wrote:
its actully deci
deci=.1 meters
centi=.01 meters
Well I didnt know what was denti, but a few centimters shorter or taller doesnt nake much of a difference for what I have said.

Wolves are roughly the size of an average human when standing up.
Image Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

LoyalReaperDragon wrote:
its actully deci
deci=.1 meters
centi=.01 meters
Righto! :D
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Renorei wrote:
Vuldari wrote:
Renorei wrote:Werewolves aren't just about changing into a wolfish creature. It's about releasing a beastlyness within. It's about bringing all those primal instincts and emotions deep inside yourself into a body that's worthy of housing them...and some lame, very-little-mass-or-height-gaining "werewolf" just doesn't cut it...that's not a lot better than being human. That's boring and anticlimactic and doesn't hold a candle to what a werewolf should be.
So do you then believe that Ferral Wolves have bodies that are "lame" and UnWorthy of the wild spirits contained within them?

...because no Wolf in the world stands 9-feet tall on it's hind legs, or weighs 400 pounds...

In fact...on average, most Adult wolves weigh about as much as I do (120 pounds) between 40 and 175 at the most.
The size of wolves is irrelevant. Also, the 'spirits' in wolves are irrelevant as well. It's the primal, untamed, animalistic spirit in humans that goes unnoticed or supressed.
So you think a human has a wilder and "bigger" spirit than a wolf does?

Renorei wrote:
Vuldari wrote: When combining the features of two animals that are roughly of the same size and scale, but with varying proportions, I simply fail to see how or why the blending of the two would result in a creature that is 50%more - 2X the mass, and volume of either of them normally.

The Freeborn werewolves appear to be magic-based, not science-based, so it's quite possible.

Even if it were based more in science than magic, it's still not an outlandish idea. I'm sure you've heard of Ligers. Ligers are hybrids between lions and tigers. They are way bigger than the average lion or tiger.
I wasn't talking scientifically this time. I meant, simply, logically.

Why would you imagine that the hybrid of a creature that is 5'7" tall, 150 pounds, and another creature that is equivilantly 5'4" (or longer if you count from tip of nose to tip of tail) long, 125 pounds would result in a new creature that is 7'9" and 375 pounds?

...hunh?...

(I've heard of Ligers, but I don't remeber hearing that they are Bigger. I will have to look that up and see just how much bigger "way bigger" actually is.)

My point is, there are certainly scenarios in which it is perfectly appropriate and expected to make and represent Werewolves with EXTREME proportions, such as in the worlds of the "White Wolf" games, or the "DarkStalkers" universe...

...but there is absolutely no logical reason to consider "supersized" werewolves to be the default/norm...and beyond that, to call anything that ISN'T outragiously sized to be "Lame" and "Un-Worthy".

Seriously...that pretty much scoffs at almost every werewolf EVER, in classic literature, mythology, legend, film and a great deal of modern ficion as well.

...excluding only the "Chronos" wolves from WW:TA, and the most extreme of all werewolf art you will find on the internet.

It's one thing to be partial to the "Extreme" end of the genre, but to call everything else "Lame" and "Unworthy"?...

...for goodness sake... :roll:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Vuldari wrote: So you think a human has a wilder and "bigger" spirit than a wolf does?
No, but from what I can tell, the human would have to suppress their spirit more.

Vuldari wrote: (I've heard of Ligers, but I don't remeber hearing that they are Bigger. I will have to look that up and see just how much bigger "way bigger" actually is.)
According to Wikipedia, a male liger is 2x the size of a maile lion. Lions and tigers weigh about 300kg and a liger is about 500.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Vuldari wrote:
Renorei wrote:
Vuldari wrote:

So you think a human has a wilder and "bigger" spirit than a wolf does?

Renorei wrote:

I wasn't talking scientifically this time. I meant, simply, logically.

Why would you imagine that the hybrid of a creature that is 5'7" tall, 150 pounds, and another creature that is equivilantly 5'4" (or longer if you count from tip of nose to tip of tail) long, 125 pounds would result in a new creature that is 7'9" and 375 pounds?

...hunh?...

(I've heard of Ligers, but I don't remeber hearing that they are Bigger. I will have to look that up and see just how much bigger "way bigger" actually is.)

My point is, there are certainly scenarios in which it is perfectly appropriate and expected to make and represent Werewolves with EXTREME proportions, such as in the worlds of the "White Wolf" games, or the "DarkStalkers" universe...

...but there is absolutely no logical reason to consider "supersized" werewolves to be the default/norm...and beyond that, to call anything that ISN'T outragiously sized to be "Lame" and "Un-Worthy".

Seriously...that pretty much scoffs at almost every werewolf EVER, in classic literature, mythology, legend, film and a great deal of modern ficion as well.

...excluding only the "Chronos" wolves from WW:TA, and the most extreme of all werewolf art you will find on the internet.

It's one thing to be partial to the "Extreme" end of the genre, but to call everything else "Lame" and "Unworthy"?...

...for goodness sake... :roll:

Uh...we're all entitled to our opinions Vuldari. It's too bad mine bothers you so.

Also, you're exaggerating my opinion a bit. A 5'7" human doesn't necessarily have to grow to 7'9" to be a good werewolf. Between 6'7" and 7'0" is sufficient.

Also...I'm hardly the only person who considers 'supersized' werewolves the norm...once again, take a look at that height poll. You'll find that 80% of pack members are in favor of big werewolves. You seem to be implying that I alone have this 'unusual' opinion, when in fact it is far closer to the norm. And that's within the pack, where a disproportionately large number of people (as compared to the general public) favor werewolves that are more conservative in terms of size. I don't see where you are getting the idea that my idea of werewolves is outlandish...when in fact it (probably...and no I can't prove it) represents the average person's preference.
Teenwolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Having the light to lead them...

Post by Teenwolf »

well, i hope i would be a little bit larger in form of werewolf, no one would be scared of an werewolf in 1,67 cm size.... :lol: maybe, but a werewolf lokks cooler if hes huge and strong....
PROUD TO BE A FURRY
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

I think it's quite probably, primarily "White Wolfs" and thier accursed "Chronos"-Form wolves fault...

...as so many of you reference them, or claim to have gained your interest in the genre after seeing artwork which, if you spoke to the artist, would likely credit their inspiration for thier designs to the game of that same name.

I've never played that game, and honestly, I'm not really interested.

I happen to believe that Wolf-Sized Werewolves are AWESOME...and yet so many of you seem to be trying very hard to discourage Anyone from ever using them on-screen, or in other media Ever Again.

Werewolves that actually turn into "Wolves" instead of Hairy "Incredible Hulks" are not LAME...

...they are what this entire Genre is About...they are the classical, and basic idea behind it all.

The idea of a werwolf being someone who transforms into a raging super-juggernaut, as a metaphor for thier repressed primal urges...that just happens to vaguely resemble a wolf, Maybe... is an amusing (albiet Popular) recently devised "spin-off" of Original idea.

...but I'm sick and tired of you people trying to bury the Classic werewolf as something you have chosen to consider "Obsolite".

Old-School (yes, even "Cursed" and EVIL werewolves), have as much a place and equal standing around here as your personal favorite.

=^.^'= ~
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

*continuing from last post*

Now, I am not saying that "Chronos"-Like werewolves have no place here...because they most certainly do. It would be foolish NOT to support a variation that is so popular.

But it seems like so many of you now are parading the massive, foe-crushing , two feet higher than anyone they ever face, "most strongest, bestest, unstopabblest beastie evah!..." as...

"What the Whole Werewolf Fandom is About"

...but that is like saying that the true meaning of Christmas is SantaClaus, GiftWrap and Songs about Shopping and sprigs of poisonous berries.

Don't get me wrong ... I have nothing against Rudolph the red-nosed-reindeer, and I'm a big fan of "The Man with the Bag"... but 9-Foot Beasts are no more what "Werewolves are all about", than Dead Evergreens in your living room are the "True Meaning of Christmas".

By all means...Love and make more characters like John Taliban...he ROCKS!...

...but don't shoot down the "WerWulf". Doing that as a self-proclaimed Werewolf Fan would be like disowning your Father. That just aint' right.

All you are doing is making this place Less-welcome for people with minority opinions like my own, who still like the old classic "WolfMan" and Pre-Wolfman werewolves...from before anyone ever thought about making them 9-feet tall, with the average musculature of Hercules...
Last edited by Vuldari on Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

=^.^'= ~
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

Vuldari wrote:The idea of a werwolf being someone who transforms into a raging super-juggernaut, as a metaphor for thier repressed primal urges...that just happens to vaguely resemble a wolf, Maybe... is an amusing (albiet Popular) recently devised "spin-off" of Original idea.

...but I'm sick and tired of you people trying to bury the Classic werewolf as something you have chosen to consider "Obsolite".

Old-School (yes, even "Cursed" and EVIL werewolves), have as much a place and equal standing around here as your personal favorite.
:howl:  :oo hoo-rah to that
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

:roll:

I disagree with you. I don't like your idea of werewolves. Live with it.

Furthermore, I have nothing against werewolves that turn into actual wolves. It's a little boring, but it's ok. But if you're going to bother making a gestalt form, may as well make it awesome.

And no, I've never heard of this Chronos or White Wolf stuff. My opinions are influenced by a combination of movies and art (not necessarily inspired by Chronos or White Wolf) that I've seen, and my own ideas of what a werewolf should be.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

I find werewolves that turn into wolves as much boring as werewolves that turn into upright walking wolves.

Sorry. :grinwiggle:

Also, your avatar is dead.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Im not shutting down the complete wolflike werewolves. they look pretty cool but they are mostly good if you want to make a movie that involves a magical or fantasy like story that is mystic or beautiful... and even then its a good idea to throw in a gestalt or 2.

Altough the gestalt isnt too far behind the wolfen werewolves at all. They have some werewolf gestalt picture that are REALLY OLD, but Im curouse to know where are all the old wolf like werewolf pictures. Thier only a few on the net. A gestalt (not an incredible hulk type) is much more realistic than a full wolf form cause most of the human body parts are still thier, but the most realistic one of them all is the wolfman.

The reason why the gestalt is by far the most popular form cause it would be much more interesting to see a man have the head and legs of a wolf and grow bigger, stronger and more muscular than having a man sprouting hairs on hes face or turning into a regular wolf that can simply be simply have a realy wolf as a subsitute. Im not just saying this as an oppinion but as a fact...Gestalts are far more interesting than a full wolf or a wolfman. I still never forget the wolfman and the regular wolf, without them thier would be no gestalts in movies really.
Image Image
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

Renorei wrote:I disagree with you. I don't like your idea of werewolves. Live with it.
"My Idea" of a werewolf?

You say that as if I just made up every werewolf legend and story prior to 1960-AD myself.
Shadow Wulf wrote:...Im not just saying this as an oppinion but as a fact...Gestalts are far more interesting than a full wolf or a wolfman.
*blink* *blink*

...are you SURE you know what the difference between a "Fact" and and "Opinion" is?

=^.^'= ~
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

(hoping for you to make that exact response)
Says the world. :lol: Ok Im just messin with your head Vuldari. I know its an oppinions but thiers alot more oppinions saying that they like gestalt better than full wolf or wolfman.
Image Image
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Vuldari wrote:
Renorei wrote:I disagree with you. I don't like your idea of werewolves. Live with it.
"My Idea" of a werewolf?

You say that as if I just made up every werewolf legend and story prior to 1960-AD myself.

"Your idea" of werewolves (which includes the various old legends) has become archaic. The commonly favored type of werewolf (among both die-hard werewolf fans and the average joe) is now one who grows to an impressive size. Not necessarily massive, but definitely a decent increase.
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

Renorei wrote:"Your idea" of werewolves (which includes the various old legends) has become archaic.
Erm...since when?
Renorei wrote:The commonly favored type of werewolf (among both die-hard werewolf fans and the average joe) is now one who grows to an impressive size. Not necessarily massive, but definitely a decent increase.
I want to know where you're getting this from. Aside from those who post here, how do you know that's what people want? You're giving an opinion as fact with no evidence to back it up. You need to remember that everyone here is only a small cross section of the werewolf/monster fandom.

Just because we're quiet doesn't mean we don't exist.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Set wrote:
Renorei wrote:"Your idea" of werewolves (which includes the various old legends) has become archaic.
Erm...since when?
Since probably the late 70s or early 80s...whenever they started making werewolf movies like The Howling.
Set wrote:
Renorei wrote:The commonly favored type of werewolf (among both die-hard werewolf fans and the average joe) is now one who grows to an impressive size. Not necessarily massive, but definitely a decent increase.
I want to know where you're getting this from. Aside from those who post here, how do you know that's what people want? You're giving an opinion as fact with no evidence to back it up. You need to remember that everyone here is only a small cross section of the werewolf/monster fandom.

Just because we're quiet doesn't mean we don't exist.
I'm not getting this from anywhere. But, if you think about it logically, it makes sense. Do you honestly think that the average movie-goer wants to see a werewolf that conserves mass when it TFs...thereby remaining human-sized? Or do they want to see an impressive, magical, legendary creature that makes one react with awe?

Just think about what people like, and think about what sells, and think about what is popular as far as werewolves go. Big tends to be preferred.
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

but, im sure most of the general public would favor female werewoves that got bigger breasts when they tf'd too...

(is currenty dazed, confused, and gennerally out of it....)
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U